Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sharkie posted:

They look like the villains from a movie about a devil-worshiping cult. Although I like Callista's clock/elephant fascinator.

With hat game that dope, Callista needs to be at the Kentucky Derby infield each year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Louisvillian here. I'm utterly terrified about the election tomorrow because literally no one I know is even aware of it. Conway's campaign did something really smart and posted huge "VOTE!" signs in the most liberal strongholds (I.e. Bardstown Rd), but otherwise, I got one reminder from the ground game and I'm not even 100% convinced it wasn't just some guy in the neighborhood and not a campaign volunteer.

I've got a really bad feeling about this. I hope people are right about Kentucky being demmycrat territory, but after the Kim Davis shitshow, I just don't know.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “The main thing I would say is that nothing’s free. If someone offers you something for free, treat it as if they’re offering you heroin and think about the repercussions of what is free and what is a drug, an addicting drug like heroin and the ramifications of that. There’s nothing free. It just means somebody else is gonna pay for it, you don’t see them. So the plumber, the welder, the carpenter, the people who don’t go to college are being asked to pay for your education.” ~ Rand Paul, on public education.

I wonder what the first five minutes sounded like.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Kentucky may very well be dicked. I did get a flyer on my doorknob reminding me to vote, which was super clever, because I got a late start this morning and completely forgot. There's been zero GOTV efforts outside of a few signs posted in Louisville, which is one of two places Conway really needs to run up the score in.

How are they so bad at this? How? I'm really beginning to think the problem isn't the voters, it's that Democrats just cannot be bothered to give a poo poo for non-Presidential elections.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"And you are ballot 100."

Things you don't want to hear as someone who lives in a deep blue district

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey, back from Wing Chun! I wonder who won the elec—

*reads Courier Journal website*

:suicide:

Sadly I'm utterly unsurprised after seeing the turnout today. Conway's campaign was shamefully non-existent. There was no ground game. There weren't even reminders until about three days out.

Never run again, Conway, for anything. You're terrible at your job and you should feel terrible.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Shoulda had a stronger tan sau.

Sticking to the center line is how Grimes and Conway lost

BigRed0427 posted:

Uhh, I haven't been keeping up. Why was Ky's Governor race a big deal?

Our state exchange was Kynect, which was one of the real success stories and shining examples of how well the ACA actually worked and helped people in the middle of the shitstorm that was the federal rollout.

WELP DON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Actually, does anybody know the state legislature make-up now for Kentucky? If it's mostly dem then we'll probably just see a big ol' chunk of gridlock for the next however many years.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If your opponent's center line keeps slipping right, you attack him through the left, not follow him. Idiots.

we're horrible nerds, aren't we :negative:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Good Citizen posted:

Lol a bunch of people in Kentucky are literally going to spite themselves to death tonight.

Look I'm not saying it's something desirable, but if someone voted for this lunatic and gets both their healthcare and medicare taken away, there's a certain amount of karma involved.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Taerkar posted:

Kentucky is the state that brought you Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell

And let's not forget the particular joy that was Jim Bunning! A racist senator elected for being a decent baseball player who literally went senile in office and tried to burn down everything while being forced out.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Taerkar posted:

Okay, there's a definite issue of denial going on there.

Oh good, the lesson we took away from this is, "This is an outlier, we'll get them next time!"

Again.

I love Louisville but it may be time to move to Colorado. At least I can regularly train with an aikido shihan that way.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or, you know, maybe the Democrats can get their GotV act together for off years.

And while we're at it I'd like a million bucks, all my debt wiped out, and a pteron to ride around on

Optimus Subprime posted:

How easy will it be for this new KY governor to roll back the medicaid expansion?

Dems have the House currently so any legislature changes will be blocked. I don't think they can wipe it out entirely since it's already been instituted. What I don't know is how bad they can cripple it with executive orders.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The problem with Dean was his 50-state strategy ended up getting a shitton of Blue Dogs elected and blew up what should've been a supermajority for Obama's first two years with faux-Democrat anti-abortion fucksticks. Ergo, it was viewed as a failure.

What wasn't taken into account was how it was holding the line for governor's mansions and whatnot. Whoops!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's a scenario I see being possible in kentucky, and it's the only Hope I'm clinging to. Bevin goes hard after killing Medicaid on the first day and institutes his Medicare drug testing program on day two.

These measures, when actually seen by kentuckians, instantly sour them on their idiot governor and the state legislatures panic, seeing that they're all in danger of getting ousted at next election. They work on reinstating Medicaid expansion by law and override bevins veto. Bevin is neutered and spends the next four years totally powerless, as the stalemate in the legislatures never resolves.

The House will block any legislation he wants to pass. He'll be ineffectual until such a time as they have a republican majority.

Buring Kynect down is insane, it was huge for the local IT industry, well established, and everyone loves it. Bevin absolutely is crazy enough to point a gun at its head and pull the trigger, and suddenly losing your insurance is enough to make someone go, "Yeah, but I wanted them to take insurance away from those other guys!" It's just a matter of how much damage he can do via executive fiat before people finally get sick of his schtick.

I don't think the Wisconsin thing applies here. Labor relations and state budget are a vague and nebulous thing to most people. Healthcare and medicare? It punches them right in the butt when impacted, and it'll be a pretty big deal when it gets made real for them. And if not they'll be dead this time next election anyway :sigh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shageletic posted:

Yes the prospect of the poor suffering is hi-larious

"Ha ha you fuckers just lost the ability to get health care without a job, my forums experience is great now!! "

Jesus people. I understand people go into histrionics but this is a really bad thing that's going to cause bad things. At least give us a couple of days to mourn :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

zoux posted:

I don't think Bevin is going to make good on his ridiculous pandering promise to strip hundreds of thousands of people of health insurance with the stroke of a pen. It's a popular program that polls well in the state.

I respectfully disagree. The tea party just claimed Boehner's head without any sort of backup plan or political goal other than ideological purity. Rational thought or opinions of constituents are by and large meaningless if they have a shot at sticking it to Obummer.

Even if it ultimately costs him his support, he is absolutely crazy enough to do it.

Late edit: They didn't force out Boehner like they did Cantor but the HFC is a major deciding factor to Boehner finally having enough of this poo poo so I feel it's still a valid comparison.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Actually that does make me feel a lot better. Thank you. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Tough posted:

lol this election really broke some you guys

And also Bush

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Butts posted:

Ben Carson a straight up busta.

I was in the voting booth when I noticed the Ultimate Hustler's name on the ballot, his platform was all "Carson a scrub" and I voted straight ticket but then he said "he a busta" and he won in a landslide

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

Mitt Romney giving a press conference about Benghazi the day after it occured once it was known four people were killed, grinning the entire time.

He also walked off in the middle of it with that grin in mid question, iirc.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Some people were just sending girls unsolicited dick pics ... It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

:crossarms:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Seek help getting him elected

don't actually do this

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MariusLecter posted:

Actually, most people think it's a waiting room where you get an appointment for several months later or a doctor comes by and marks you with a red X on your forehead for the pneumatic hammer cause your too costly to treat.

They're not wrong.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Matt Smith, are you okay :ohdear:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mr Interweb posted:

Nooooo! This is terrible news. I want his dumbass to stay in the race as long as possible. He can't flame out so soon. :(

You have zero to worry about and all the time in the world to laugh about people saying this is the nail in the coffin. Trump has been doing this all election and reaping huge yooj benefits. This will, in fact, be the interview that reinvigorates his sagging poll numbers.

Trump's gonna Trump and there's not a drat thing anyone can do about it. :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are you seriously going down the "they're coming for our gunsmeat" route? :psyduck:

Got in on the ground floor of Obama's Vegetable Conspiracy, looks like the rest of you flesh eaters will be first against the wall. :smuggo:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Justus posted:

The only thing that can stop back bacon is good bacon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The prohibition is technically against eating the flesh of warm-blooded animals and fish are deemed to be cold-blooded. You can eat anything fitting that standard but eating fish is customary thanks to the reality of medieval food preparation (salt fish kept well) and medieval rules lawyering.

There's another school of thought (unrelated to catholicism) that anything without a face is fair game, otherwise don't eat it. I'm pretty sure that only leaves eggs and also means no shrimp :smith:

Kellsterik posted:

This is a time for milennials to step up, take ownership, and sacrifice for their country. For example, by spending money at shopping malls.

on it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JT Jag posted:

What about potatoes, they have eyes

Eyes but no face :gonk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

My Imaginary GF posted:

America is in the midst of a conservative revolution; our best and brightest, our most politically astute --- read: opportunistic --- understand the way which the wind is blow'n and are making bank hitching their personal brands on the Trump, the Rubio, the Cruz wagons. Kasich? All his proposals are what Bill Clinton would say, were he running this election [and despite what folks say, he's really not].

To understand this revolution in American politics, to appreciate how the modern age of Republicanism no longer can depend upon Democratic institutions to mediate politics, is to be able to accurately predict the next policy proposals of the beltway class.

Far too often have I heard --- whether its in some of America's greatest cities, rural bars, or internet communities --- that 'you need to leave that beltway mindset in DC.' Well, America, I'm here to tell ya: You're now the beltway, and the beltway is you. Embrace it and lean in.

What's that mean in practical terms? It means that, when you understand the logic behind why people love America, you cab predict how candidates will embrace that love in their policy positions. Take, for instance, Kasich's most moderate of moderate proposals; rather than shut down American mosques, as a majority of the contenders polling above 5% this month in his same contest would, Kasich proposes that America institute a Department of Judeo-Christian Values. Why? Because America was founded on Judeo-Christian values, and the one common trait amongst those who would attack us is their lack thereof. Therefore, Kasich would use government intervention to promote ideals that our founding fathers would recognize.

Therein lies the most moderate of moderate Republican positions: Government intervention can have impact on ideas. It is an ideal shared by the Democratic candidates [except, perhaps, Chaffee] and rejected by all the other Republican candidates because it relies upon government intervention.

The question you should be asking when you considet the policy possibilities in America isn't what impact the policy will have upon individuals; that 'mezzo/micro' interaction doesn't matter for Republicans any more. What you should be asking is what the 'macro/mezzo' interaction of policy will be. Translation: is it a question of government intervention, or one of individualism?

You can see this play out with other candidates: Trump doesn't wish to send muslim americans to concentration camps; that would be a 'mezzo/micro' interaction. Trump wants a 'macro/mezzo' interaction when he proposes that mosques in America be shut down; he would use macro policy to impact the mezzo-level institutions of community, thus ignoring the question of government intervention in the mind of the American electorate.

You see, the American electorate still has trust is 'macro/mezzo' interactions; what they don't trust is the 'macro/micro' nor the 'mezzo/micro' interactions, the ones which take the form of Obamacare (macro/micro) and nonprofit resettling of refugees (mezzo/micro).

With those basic parameters in mind, I encourage you to explore any potential American policy you can think of, all while asking what sort of interaction it is, and who's primary it would pass muster in.

I just wanted to thank you for my gig in Chicago, it's the best job I've ever had :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FAUXTON posted:

That's because the Quran lays out a fairly conservative tax code as long as you're a Muslim.

From what (very) little I've read about Islamic finance it owns. Gambling on bad things happening to people is forbidden so the community must come together to help :)

Really Islam does a lot of rad things, it's just some desperate goobers in very bleak countries have co-opted the oh hi Mr. FBI Dude I was just posting some complementary things about Isla

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Maybe Joementum isn't Dave Weigel, but is in fact a liquor marketing operative. :tinfoil:

But you repeat yourself.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

VitalSigns posted:

Awh, don't worry buddy, my cynicism about politics is well isolated from my personal life, I'm having a lovely week :)

That being said, now's a good time to invest in Glenlivet 15+. Prices can only go up up up!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Meg From Family Guy posted:

The shooter was mentally ill

Shut up, M---wait no, you're actually right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alkydere posted:

Black Friday is the only time I've ever seen a store manager loose her poo poo and start screaming at customers. Granted it was at a Wal-Mart, but goddamn. :stare:

My wife and I go Thursday/Friday at midnight. The crowds are moderately thin, well behaved, and it's fun to be in a store during their closed hours. It feels like being in a museum after hours :3:

Otoh I try to be as nice to the cashiers as I can because they're propping up my stupid bourgeois spree for minimum wage :smith:

• Locked thread