Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Was it Hillary that stood in for Palin during Biden's debate practice?

I'm assuming theres no video because it'd have been leaked by now but that must have been amazing.

I think it was Jennifer Granholm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

suckin dick
bought this office

Change the thread title to this please. Please!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Stop pretending that deregulating suppressors is about health and safety :allears:

But, he really wants an American 00 designation.

A person who earnestly wants a gun silencer is a person that should never be allowed to own any gun.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DeusExMachinima posted:

I personally don't. I'm not a hunter so they won't do me any good there. I double up on hearing protection at the range and would because of the other shooters even if I did have a silencer. I also have no interest in owning an AR15 but I'm sure you can surmise how I feel about AWBs.

This argument doesn't belong in the Politics thread because it is not now and it will not be a political argument for decades to come. You and the people who think like you have won the argument; you win, you get to keep your guns and you get to make all laws touching on guns for the foreseeable future. There is nobody currently running for President, or Governor or any legislative position that can do anything to change this. So why not accept your win with grace and shut the gently caress up about suppressors for you dick extension.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Two interesting articles today on Paris and Western response.

Article in Vox that considers what ISIS's motivation might have been for Paris.

quote:

The challenge for governments in responding to this kind of stuff is to wait until you know exactly what your enemy is trying to provoke you to do. If we don't know why ISIS did these things, we risk making some major blunders that play into its hand.

Think about 9/11. Al-Qaeda told us vaguely in the propaganda, "You're the crusaders, and we want to get you out of here." But the real strategy behind the attacks wasn't revealed for a few years, and they came from internal al-Qaeda memoranda that later surfaced. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, we didn't understand then that Al-Qaeda was dearly hoping for a large military deployment so that it could bog us down and win this propaganda war.

We made the right decision early on — that went against al-Qaeda — by going in Afghanistan. But we made a different decision in Iraq, and it played into their hands. There's a similar worry here, and without knowing exactly why ISIS undertook these attacks, we risk dancing to their tune.

Blog post by Charles Pierce in Esquire that posits no response to ISIS will ever be enough unless we go after their source of money and support, which means going after our very good friends and allies, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and Kuwait. The links to articles cited here are very good; especially the one to the article in The Guardian.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Quick heads-up, since this is the New Yorker there seems to be some sources for this story (though not too many named, Nasrallah being one of the few, given an entire page of narration), but citing Hersh might not be the best of ideas. There's been a lot of sturm un drang with the guy the past few years due to alleged shaky reporting (like coming and saying that there were US special forces in Syria, etc). Just letting you know.

Hersh being poo poo plus, that article is from 2007 and there has only been at least 3 regime changes and an ongoing civil war in the Middle East since then; not to mention a new administration in the White House.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Aren't the regimes in those states allowing this outflow of money in support of terrorism because otherwise it would go toward essentially firing up a civil war within their own borders? It could be that as difficult as it has been to limit the spread of ISIS and the worldwide effects of the fighting would be a walk in the park compared to Saudi Arabia and co plunging into full civil war.

Yeah, I think the idea of exporting your problems to other countries is a big motivator for them. But, maybe they've been chopping off the heads and hands of the wrong people within their border. Maybe they should start putting the right people up against the wall inside their own borders before the West has to do it for them. I'd rather see Arab sons and daughters in uniform fighting ISIS rather than U.S. kids. It simply seems that anything the West does or can do is delaying the inevitable change that is going to have to come in the Middle East Monarchies.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Is there any evidence that NATO/the US military is capable of effectively destroying ISIS or is this purely wishful thinking? I know they liberated a few Kurds, which was awesome, but historically we've done a poor job at killing the ideology out of people.

It can't be done with a Hellfire missile or a smart bomb dropped from 10,000 feet. It can't be done without stopping the flow of money from the Middle East Monarchies to the extremists and we are never going to even try to do that.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trump continues to deliver solutions that good ol' boys sitting on the front porch would think of. "Let's just build a wall along the entire southern border", "let's build a big ol' camp for all them refugees"; it's Duck Dynasty solutions for complicated real world problems.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Riosan posted:

What the gently caress is this? No, I get it, it's Trump pandering as usual, but what the gently caress.

"Nuh uh, ISIS can't touch me, I'm in a safe zone." Does that safety also extend to drone strikes? This is giving me a headache.

Plus, it's an absolute guarantee that a safe zone like he's proposing would turn into a safe zone for ISIS; it'd be their command and recruitment center for all of Syria.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

loving GOP Frankenstein rear end in a top hat governor Charlie Baker.

Charles Pierce at Esquire, a journalist whose opinion I respect, has a more nuanced take on the concerns of Charlie Baker.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

That doesn't clear anything up. If their "concerns" aren't based on racism, then what are they based on? Because they have nothing to fear from these people.

Well, the Boston bombing is probably figuring into Baker's concerns. I agree with what your saying but, I don't think Democrats are going to be able to just dismiss these concerns. There needs to be a more positive response than just, "there is nothing to fear here, move along".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Yeah, how is this piece "nuanced"? It's literally just "these people aren't bigots because I say so," when it should be immediately obvious that you don't have to be a bigot to engage in bigoted, opportunistic behavior because, say, you want to jump on a popular Republican bandwagon that makes it look as though you're being Tough on Terrorism. Even smart, highly respected people will readily do truly horrible things because they think they're in their personal best interest.

If the Democrats response to these Governors is going to be, "you fuckers are racists and bigots and you're stupid too", then be prepared for to get hosed by this issue for months to come. Hillary and Bernie and Obama need to have more in their responses than just, "you people are stupid bigots".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Good thing that's what they're already doing.

And of course no serious politician is going to just call any other politician up and just say "stop being a bigot".

And this leads to the problem with a lot of Democrat positions; trying to explain a complicated solution to a Right Wing sound bite.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Akumu posted:

Their responses should be more politic than that, but why should they have more than that?

Because a lot of Democratic voters are just as concerned about the possibility of terrorists in their own backyard.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Akumu posted:

Our leaders should lead, not pander. Treating xenophobic and racist fears as legitimate only does a disservice to our nation.

pretend I actually knew how to post that ever increasing ironicat gif here and did it

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

So back in February, Obama asked for congress to declare war and congress refused because his plan was too limited.

So, what is stopping congress from working on another plan and putting that through?

Doing anything that even approaches cooperation with Obama is unacceptable.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Texas GOP state Rep says we can't let refugees in because they could buy guns here. Said without even a hint of irony.

quote:

“While the Paris attackers used suicide vests and grenades it is clear that firearms also killed a large number of innocent victims," Dale wrote. "Can you imagine a scenario were [sic] a refugees [sic] is admitted to the United States, is provided federal cash payments and other assistance, obtains a drivers license and purchases a weapon and executes an attack?”

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

It gets my dick all hard.

Don't judge me.

Do you drink grain alcohol and rainwater?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol house dems are pissed that Obama/WH wouldn't give them cover on the refugee bill

Joementum posted:

I also learned from this that the Blue Dog Caucus still exists and has 15 members!

This went right over my head. Is it a reference to the Democrats that wanted to vote for the bills? Did they really believe Obama was going to cover their rear end after what he said at the G20? Is there a news story on it; specifically about the 15 referenced by Jomentum? I found a Vox article but it I'd be interested in knowing more.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress these gutless fear mongers.

quote:

“Frankly, my sense is more and more of my colleagues feel the same way,” he said, adding there was a “lack of a compelling reason to vote ‘no.'”

“It’s not going over well,” a House Democratic aide told CQ Roll Call as members continued to listen to McDonough and Johnson. “The message on this is too complicated.”

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., an opponent of the GOP bill and one of two Muslims serving in the House, said he believes the White House has done “as good a job as can be done.”

“If I was to offer [administration officials] some constructive proposals, it would be to say, ‘help members see why the [Republican] bill is going to essentially raise a threshold so that nobody’s gonna get certified. I mean, I think it’s important to make that point a little more explicit.”

This member said the focus of McDonough and Johnson’s message was the White House doesn’t want to add an “extra burden” to the existing screening process, which the Obama administration strongly defends. “What member of Congress wants to go home to their district and say, ‘I voted against this bill to keep you safe because I didn’t want to impose more work on the bureaucracy?'” the lawmaker asked.

It's just so haaaaarrrd to explain to voters; so I'm just gonna do the easy thing. But realistically, it's probably an issue that will be forgotten by January 1.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 19, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I came here today hoping to get some hot takeaways, GOP talking points on the Russian Jet shootdown. I was half expecting some ridiculous statement by Trump on the matter that would be followed by the rest trying to out do him. But, very little in the news. It's not even on the main page at Breitbart or The Daily Caller and it's not the main headline at Fox. I'm sure the GOP and talking heads are just waiting for Obama to take a position so they can say it's the wrong position and then go back to giving Putin sloppy blowjobs.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Or it was the 4channers who posted themselves talking about /pol/, brandishing a gun, and saying they were going to go to the protest:

[

Once again, let me show my internet naivete and cluelessness by asking, what is /pol/? It keeps popping up in threads and in spite of my best efforts, I don't know what this is.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

"Born in Brooklyn to a middle class Jewish family..." *turns* "... I didn't know you were Jewish, Barbara!" ~ Barack Obama, awarding the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Barbara Streisand.

Guess he never saw Yentl.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

Why does anyone think this man would be a viable candidate in a GE? This stuff would get looped over and over in attack ads and anyone who maybe doesn't subscribe to the idea that theocracy is just AWESOME would turn on him.

Rubio's basically said that he wouldn't follow the law if he felt it came into conflict with God's law. Well, there's the Oath of Office out the window.

I think what a lot of people, including myself and others in this thread, are failing to recognize is that this is the first election in modern times where one party is perfectly fine with doubling down on playing to its base; making no attempt now or during the general election to gain any support from the mushy middle. In this election cycle, the GOP has convinced itself that the way to win is to turn out all of those mythical voters that didn't turn out for Romney or McCain. Nothing Rubio said will hurt him with that group.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This was pages ago but, What the gently caress? He wasn't just a conservative, he was a Ted Cruz conservative.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

Im looking forward to the morning shows tomorrow, I know Carson will be on one of them so we should get some quality bullshit about the PP shooting

Carson is scheduled to be on three shows tomorrow, speaking from Jordan. He posted his Jordan trip report on his campaign site and the take away is, "the Syrian refugees are suffering and the world should do more for them; but none of them should be allowed to leave the Middle East". Also, Carson hired a Special Faith Advisor who will, "be responsible for advising the campaign on its outreach to Christian voters across the country". Carson is already the "baby jesus is coming" candidate so I have no idea what a Special Faith Advisor is supposed to do for a political campaign and it's disturbing to me that he even thinks he needs that type of advisor.

edit: it's also insanity to think that Carson can take out Trump

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

How can you say your understanding of Clapper's intent is more informed than a New York Times' columnists'?

Further, it sounds like you do not think that there was anything factually incorrect in that bit of reading, only that the tone ain't what you wish it was.

Because that NYTimes oped piece was written by a loving Republican dickhead shill that worked in the administrations of Reagan and both Bushes.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here are some of Carson's hottest brilliant thoughts on the Syrian refugees.

CBS News

quote:

"The Jordanians have done a yeoman's job in terms of putting up these camps. But the reason that the camps are not full is because they are not supported by the international community," he said. "It seems like everybody in the international community is spending more time saying 'How can we bring refugees here?' rather than [b'How can we support a facility that is already in place that the refugees are finding perfectly fine when it's adequately funded?'"[/b]

He added that Jordan could "take a lot more refugees" and that other nations in the Middle East should be asked to take in Syrians "so that you don't have to go through a big cultural change with them."

Carson said that the $3 billion shortfall in funding for refugee camps is "how much money we spent last year on Halloween candy."

"I believe that you know the entire international community could easily make up that $3 billion shortfall. My point in comparing it to the Halloween candy is to say that you know this is not a big deal," Carson said.

CNN News

quote:

"The thing that I really learned in listening to the refugees themselves is their intense desire is to return to their country and repatriated," Carson said.

"There's so many people who think the ideal for everybody is to come to America and be resettled here but that is not the ideal for everybody," he said. "And we need to be looking at mechanisms that already exist. Why do you want to recreate the wheel when you have something that's working? Let's maximize that and then let's think about if we need recreate other wheels."

Carson implied that the United States should spend more money aiding the refugee camps, rather than resettling small numbers of those refugees.

"They don't have enough money," he said. "You look at last year, there was a $3 billion shortfall. That's the same amount of money we spent last month on Halloween candy."

He said his trip was "about fact-finding -- about getting an opportunity to see firsthand without having things reinterpreted over something that is really important."

He said refugees told him that "their desire, their true desire is to be resettled in Syria."

He continued: "But they are satisfied to be in the refugee camps if the refugee camps are adequately funded. Recognize that in these camps they have schools, they have recreational facilities that are really quite nice. And their all kind of things that make life more tolerable. Would it be better to integrate them into society? Yes, and I've certainly talked to some people about that. But you have to make progress as you go."

He also appeared on ABC but, I can't find an article, just a video. I'm sure he repeated his Halloween candy and how the refugees love living in tent cities like prisoners of war. So the good doctor needs to just convince his good friends in the GOP to pony up $3 Billion dollars for people they hate.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Armyman25 posted:

Why don't the Gulf States or the Saudi's pony up the dough? It's peanuts to them anyway.

Because it's not even a realistic solution to the humanitarian crisis the refugees are going through. Carson is suggesting internment camps are a good solution to a crisis that could go on for years.

edit: were you being sarcastic? i hope you were being sarcastic.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 30, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

My guess here is that the hospital has malpractice insurance. Because the malpractice insurer is paying the bill if the hospital loses, it can require the hospital to mount the best defense possible (or just outright control the defense) - that a fetus isn't a person under US law. To leave that argument out would probably require the hospital waive its malpractice insurance - and then the doctors themselves would probably be making it anyway.

I think you are probably correct but, it makes it no less ironic.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "The overwhelming majority of violent criminals are Democrats." ~ Ted Cruz.

Hmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Barely even using that whistle these days.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I knew about the JCTF-OIR, (Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF–OIR) is the Joint Task Force, established by the international (US-led) coalition against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), set up by the US Central Command to coordinate military efforts against ISIL, and is composed of US military forces and personnel from over 30 countries) but, I didn't know this existed until just now when it was mentioned by fade5 in the RSF Republican Primary thread; a YouTube channel dedicated to showing them blowing poo poo up in Iraq and Syria. Thanks fade5.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 1, 2015

• Locked thread