Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chokes McGee posted:

Kentucky may very well be dicked. I did get a flyer on my doorknob reminding me to vote, which was super clever, because I got a late start this morning and completely forgot. There's been zero GOTV efforts outside of a few signs posted in Louisville, which is one of two places Conway really needs to run up the score in.

How are they so bad at this? How? I'm really beginning to think the problem isn't the voters, it's that Democrats just cannot be bothered to give a poo poo for non-Presidential elections.
The Democrats have been bad downticket for years. The last person to even try to fix this problem was Howard Dean, and he was fired as head of the DNC for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I legitimately get the appeal of Trump. He's got that magical power that makes him hard to dislike on a personal or emotional level.
And even if you hate him, you can't just ignore him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mulva posted:

Bernie Sanders really doesn't have any ideas or proposals that will improve communities of people of color. Free college is great, if you were already going to college. If you can't walk down the street at night without getting arrested free college really isn't going to help you.
I'd like to direct you here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Hello friend! It seems you haven't heard the good news! Our Sanders, who arth in Congress, marched with Civil Rights Leaders! And as his economic blessing be laid down, it shall be laid down on all.

Now that you're aware of these important facts, all your misconceptions and incorrect thinking should be alleviated.
I'd tell you to take a look at Bernie's racial justice plank too but I know you've read it and are just trolling.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Legalizing marijuana is the lowest hanging fruit of criminal justice reform and being unwilling to entertain the idea shows that someone isn't really serious about the issue.
Ooh, the ultimate beltway insider insult.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Who do black voters (overwhelmingly) support? Maybe they know better than white people which candidate is better on issues that affect them?
Hillary has the name recognition and endorsements. Position on the issues don't really factor in for a lot of Democratic primary voters, just electability. It's the opposite of the Republicans' current situation, where their primary voters care about political litmus tests over General Election appeal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Really, this whole cycle is a joke. The Republicans and media, well I don't need to go into detail. But even the democrats have Larry David versus Grillary Clinton amirite.

Its a loving joke and we're the punchline.
The demographics are terrible for the Republicans, doubly so if Trump gets the nod. I've been confident in a Democratic victory for quite a while, regardless of who the candidates are on either side.

It's a joke, but it's one I'll live with.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ah yes. I am so shocked that in an, off-year election, in a red state, that Democrats lost. I can't believe it.

Democrat part might as well just pack up their bags and leave.

Jesus christ.
Reminder that governor terms lasting four years means that states who elect their governors in non-presidential years do so perpetually, causing their results to distinctly skew in the direction of the party not in control of the White House.

Governor terms should be either two or six years long, only in even years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I think one potential way for the Democrats to make inroads in rural areas is to, as a party, be more religious. Frame their arguments on income inequality in the sense that it is 'Jesus-like' and how allowing widespread poverty goes against His teachings.

Basically, the Democrats gave up on the religious vote after Carter lost to Reagan, which I think was a mistake. Carter was the last Democrat to win over rural voters for a reason.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bassetking posted:

I think we have our roadmap.
The DNC needs to see this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Going full Santa Claus and promising extravagant things with no basis in reality would win elections.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

So Trump will win?
Trump is also promising to take things away from several demographics the Republicans need in order to win, which is what will bury him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Crosspost from the Football Funhouse: The Pentagon paid sports teams millions for patriotic events.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm just gonna repost this at the top of the page, because it is clearly the most important political news today.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

That scandal did not involve professional organized sporting events, which are the most sacrosanct things in this country.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Are you guys saying that the science of what the pyramids were for is settled? Because we don't take kindly to that kind of statement... :toughguy:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Actually, we should increase Congress' wage, publicly fund all elections, and make the purchasing or selling of influence (all political donations and favors) a felony.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Correct. Brady won the assignment today, making it seven of them chairing committees total.

But I was wrong about there being only one select committee. That's true at the moment, but there's about to be a second. Here are the list of Democrats who will serve on it, via Pelosi (she did not use the official committee name):

And of course five of the six appointments are women. How many women did the Republicans appoint to the committee? Without knowing off the top of my head, I'm gonna guess... one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm going to bed, but I have complete confidence that one of you will have gone through this and posted about what our opinion of it should be by the morn.

Accretionist posted:

It's worse than we thought:
Oh, wait, nevermind, opinion already set.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Judge I think you'll find proof, enclosed here, that I emailed a photo of my cat to my mother in the 90s.

Therefore, I deserve residuals off all cat-related macros, in perpetuity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Remember that South Park episode that was about the writer's strike but was framed as being about Canada? That's all I can think of regarding this, that it's a bunch of old people thinking "hey, what about that internet money, we want some of that"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

lookoutbelow posted:

Bernie's post-filing rally in Concord later today looking like a big deal.

Breaking news: people have not yet arrived for an event yet to take place

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I will deign to allow this photo into the record.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Haha at the two press people talking to the only black person in attendance.
Let's play "Where's The Minority Representation?" I can spot at least two others!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

:iceburn: from the Wall Street Journal

:drat:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

And you really fail to see how adding some talking points and a page on his website fails to alleviate the concerns people are raising?
Since Bernie came out with his social justice platform, the proper retort has indeed turned into "it doesn't matter what he does or says, he's clearly a racist, he's just trying to hide it now."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bernie Sanders' blatant racism is only the tip of the iceberg, he's also clearly sexist and a self-hating antisemite

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

I hear Bernie Sanders doesn't even own a comb. What an amateur.
He hurts our economy by not getting haircuts, do we want someone that selfish as President

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

You know who had meticulously combed hair.....
David Duchovny?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bernie Sanders has stairs in his house, but is he protected? Our report at 8.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

To the first, I don't do that. To the second, because saying anything reality based about bernie sanders leads to total meltdowns like you just did. Consult a therapist.
"total meltdown"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Have you considered that melting down every time something less than positive is said about Bernie Sanders means you deserve to be trolled?
"u mad?" - Nintendo Kid, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I just don't understand how any cisgendered woman capable of getting pregnant could still vote for someone after hearing that! How is that not a total campaign killer? He thinks that a fetus is a living being and worth protecting but I'm not.

e: have any of these "NO ABORTIONS EVER!!" people ever heard of ectopic pregnancies? They'll kill the mom if they're not aborted in time, and the fetus won't survive either. So if you get an abortion, 1 out of 2 lives are saved. Without an abortion, both the fetus and mother will die. It doesn't make sense.
Any time someone makes an argument against abortion, feel free to mentally edit their statement to "the slut should have known better."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Here's a good article from Mike Lofgren detailing the current relationship between conservatives and factual reality.
My biggest takeaway from this article is that we need to make an English version of the German word "fachidiot".

I propose "Fascidiot": an idiot who hides his idiocy behind a fascade of competency in one area.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

silvergoose posted:

You mean, someone who hides his fascism behind a facade of idiocy?
That can be an alternate definition.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This is when, immediately after the deaths were announced, Romney unscrupulously lunged on the incident to score some cheap political points on Obama, right?
Yes, and he was very happy about it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Honestly the single biggest display of the Republican Party's detachment from reality for me is that when Benghazi happened two months immediately before a Presidential Election it didn't help them win, but they still think it's the silver bullet to stop the Clinton campaign four years on when no one cares anymore.

Joementum posted:

Pretty sure David Vitter is going to poo poo himself when he sees this. Fortunately for him, he knows how to handle that situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZQVCFVVVE0
Also, this is loving brutal

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Generally they are about as right wing as RollCall. The exception being that they LOVE LOVE LOVE Dick Cheney and will uncritically take anything e says and promote it as the absolute iron gospel truth that may not be contested, contradicted, or disagreed with
So they're a neocon rag, but just not a full on right wing crazy rag.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

foobardog posted:

The English word for 'fachidiot' is 'fachidiot'. :colbert: That's what's great about English. We don't putter around like French and try to make a word fit (Americans at least), we just take that word. You should remember this if you feel some angst over schadenfreude interrupting your weltschmerz over the common kulturkampf.
Fachidiot hasn't been adopted into the common english lexicon like schadenfreude, was my point I suppose.

People should use it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Actually let's just change the definition of "halfwit" to this

Someone who literally has half a wit to them

• Locked thread