Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna go out on a limb and doubt the veracity of the anonymous unsourced twitter posts that strongly imply people should go kill politicians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many times a day do you think Jeb mutters "It wasn't supposed to be like this" under his breath?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

weekly font posted:

Is Trump even the frontrunner anymore?

e: I mean he's still two at worst and the overall ratings draw, but I'm just wondering. I haven't been able to keep up with polls because school.

Yeah, he's only behind in Iowa, and there hasn't been any polling there since the debates.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump defecting completely torpedoes this absurd list of demands, by the way. He's the greatest troll of our time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, the solution here is for the networks to say "we don't negotiate with terrorists" but they are all terrified submissive female dogs laying on their backs pissing themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got the union joke mate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Honestly Trump's too dangerous to be entertaining. He's constantly preaching xenophobia and hating "others" and I can see him riling up his supporters enough for them to assault someone who looks Mexican or Muslim.
That already happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Well, he's getting 6% in a poll with a 3.9% MoE.

Joementum forecasts a rosy 9.9% for Jindal in Iowa.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not really news to us at this point, but I love seeing headlines like this.

How's Fox reporting this?

oh ._.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Congratulations on your elections being ruled by people that will likely have their dinner before 4:30 PM.

Yes, I live in America.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Had a second freeper type yelling at me who I just ignored, and just had the frankly bizarre incident of getting screamed and threatened about there not being enough parking

Where are you running into these people?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm working the election. Specifically I'm passing out the recommended candidate card so I'm 50 feet from the polling location, telling people to go vote and then giving them a list of candidates.

There's yer problem.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just think, in a just world, we're all off of work today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Why do your churches have gymnasiums?

For the kids to play in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

What's the point in working out and eating healthy foods when God is going to Rapture us any day now? :colbert:

Good point

quote:

Laura McIntyre began educating her nine children more than a decade ago inside a vacant office at an El Paso motorcycle dealership she ran with her husband and other relatives.

Now the family is embroiled in a legal battle the Texas Supreme Court hears next week that could have broad implications on the nation's booming home-school ranks. The McIntyres are accused of failing to teach their children educational basics because they were waiting to be transported to heaven with the second coming of Jesus Christ.

At issue: Where do religious liberty and parental rights to educate one's own children stop and obligations to ensure home-schooled students ever actually learn something begin?

"Parents should be allowed to decide how to educate their children, not whether to educate their children," said Rachel Coleman, executive director of the Massachusetts-based Coalition for Responsible Home Education.

Like other Texas home-school families, Laura and her husband Michael McIntyre weren't required to register with state or local educational officials. They also didn't have to teach state-approved curriculums or give standardized tests.

But problems began when the dealership's co-owner and Michael's twin brother, Tracy, reported never seeing the children reading, working on math, using computers or doing much of anything educational except singing and playing instruments. He said he heard one of them say learning was unnecessary since "they were going to be raptured."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The money for it was raised "to help bring poor children who have yet to see the light of Christ into the congregation and get them off the street."

After it's built, it's exclusively used for well-to-do (white) congregation members kids and purity balls.

Jesus christ, church gyms are not a secret Christian Dominion plot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

We can use the House Freedom Caucus as a measurement of the strength of the tea party, which currently has 38 seats or about 8% of congress. If you think that this "fringe" only represents 8% of the electorate then you're wildly misrepresenting the current state of American politics. Racist populism (READ: Tea Party) is easily more than 8% of the electorate which is demonstrated by the GOP primaries being dominated by Carson and Trump. If there were a tiny minority they wouldn't be pandered to so heavily.
I mean, we joke about they're ruining government but most of that isn't the fault of centrist FPTP voting, it's the fault of dumb Hastert rules and the filibusterer which are causing our electoral disfunction.
Again, even with gerrymandering they only have 38 seats in a body of 435, and were forced to kiss Ryan's rings.

17% say they support the Tea Party, which is happily the lowest level since they started tracking it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

The article also says the Tea Party has 32% among republicans, yet it does not represent 32% of their elected officials.

Are you saying it's higher or lower than that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I hope I don't become this bored and angry when I'm old

That's like the only good part about getting old!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I already voted with my absentee ballot two weeks ago because washington state is the best state :smug:

When I was a kid, my dad was cool and progressive as gently caress.

Now he's somewhat socially conservative and likes that trump speaks his mind.

9/11?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Except I can't really understand how someone in a "flip the tables" sort of mood could vote for a sitting senator.

Well, they are Bernie supporters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

This criticism would be less dumb you weren't a passionate supporter of a Democratic candidate with a mediocre at best record on criminal justice issues. One who STILL won't support marijuana legalization when 60% of the population does, a simple policy change that would really help with that whole walking down the street and getting arrested thing.

White liberal discovers one weird trick to fixing racial injustice in criminal justice; you won't believe that it's the one that benefits him personally the most.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who do black voters (overwhelmingly) support? Maybe they know better than white people which candidate is better on issues that affect them?

MaxxBot posted:

If I had the choice between decriminalizing all drug use and legalizing marijuana I would choose the former, because I am really sick and tried of seeing people being imprisoned for no reason because of the ridiculous drug war.

That's extremely noble of you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Do you not view the incarceration of drug users as a serious political issue and a serious racial justice issue? Why is pointing out Hillary has a bad record on this issue so problematic for you? I don't think Bernie is going to win, this isn't a Bernie vs Hillary thing.

It's not problematic for me and I support full legalization of marijuana. BUT I see a lot of white Bernie supporters talking about how his support for decrim is the magic bullet to solve black incarceration, that just happens to benefit them the most, while at the same time ignoring polls that don't really show strong support for legalization among African Americans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

Why do you think it benefits whites more than blacks? Blacks are arrested for weed at much higher rates than whites are despite using at roughly the same rate. Either way I don't think people complaining about having their lives ruined over pointless drug crimes should ever be mocked. For years anyone talking about legalization would be characterized as a dumb selfish stoner just wanting to defend their habit and there still seems to be some of that tone there when discussing legalization.

The real changes need to fix mass incarceration probably don't have majority support among any demographic because they would involve releasing some classes of violent offenders.

As for polling numbers, they can go either way. The easy assumption people used to have about Hispanics and Blacks being socially conservative is definitely no longer true though.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/6-facts-about-marijuana/

It benefits them the most because they are afraid of spending a night in jail and having their parents be mad at them. I didn't say it was proportional.

Probably minus full decrim Hillary and Bernie have identical or nearly identical racial justice platforms. Black voters poll overwhelmingly in favor of Hillary and I'm not going to tell them they don't know what's best for their community.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alris posted:

Realistically, how finished is Jeb! right now? A few weeks ago when things were looking bad someone pointed out he has a massive war chest for ad campaigns as primary elections get closer, which given he was the presumptive nominee before things got serious (well, as serious as a Republican primary can get) makes sense. But he just keeps on slipping. Short of five of his competitors having a Macaca moment during a live debate is there a reasonable chance he'll be able to dig his way out of the hole he's in?

Extremely finished. Well he would be if this was a normal cycle, but it ain't, so who knows!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

weekly font posted:

Wait why don't we think Carson is legit?

He has no policies, plans, strategies or ground game. He's currently on a book tour.

Here's a *shudder* Johnathan Chait article from today about it.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/ben-carson-running-for-president.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

His campaign organization is only geared to fundraise. All of the money that he takes in he plows right back into fundraising and he hasn't shown any sort of interest in creating the kind of voter drive and party network necessary to make a real run with. He's riding this wave of popularity as far as he possibly can while selling as many books and as much merchandise as he possibly can.

He's also the worst public speaker I've ever seen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow a guy too crazy for Arpaio.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

it's going to be a nailbiter. 92% of Lexington in.

Jesus, I thought this thing was polling neck and neck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Beshear won Lexington by 30 points. Conway should be up there by more. He also only has a small lead in Louisville in early returns. If that doesn't improve, he's going to have a tough time making up the deficit he'll face elsewhere in the state.

Ah, too bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

Can't believe the Dems lost KY gov.

Well, they are worthless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Through what mechanism can the KY governor unilaterally rollback the Medicaid expansion?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

I think beshear enacted the expansion by executive order, so all be in has to do is strike that. Of course that's going to lead to a lot of bureaucracy elimination which is probably harder.

Yeah it seems like a tall order to accomplish through fiat. How popular is, ahem, Kynect?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mitt Romney posted:

Polls extremely well. But the majority of counties that benefit from it most went strongly for Bevin.

I know what the guy promised but Obama promised to close Guantanamo. He could do it for sure but increasing the rate of uninsured by double digits with the stroke of a pen is politically difficult.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Jesus just let something not terrible happen this election, somewhere, please.

The inalienable human right to hunt and fish is now enshrined in the Texas constitution.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Does anybody have a a good breakdown or summary of the Hillary's 11 hour question session in front of the Benghazi committee?

The basic charge I see is that the State Department was responsible for security for diplomatic personnel, and that inadequate security was provided in Benghazi, with no Quick Reaction Force in place in case the ambassador. I don't know if it was the Secretary of State's responsibility or fault that there wasn't better security, but I'm sure the question got asked at some point and I'm looking for Hillary's answer.

The narrative they are trying to push is that Hillary is a puppet of Syd Blumenthal and are trying to paint her as a cronyist who is more interested in doing her friends' and donors' bidding than protecting the peoples' servants.

The summary is that Hillary sat there and patiently answered questions from increasingly hysterical congresspersons and they looked really dumb and bad. Hillary looked really competent and calm in the face of harsh questions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

"Ha ha you fuckers just lost the ability to get health care without a job, my forums experience is great now!! "

Jesus people. I understand people go into histrionics but this is a really bad thing that's going to cause bad things. At least give us a couple of days to mourn :smith:

I don't think Bevin is going to make good on his ridiculous pandering promise to strip hundreds of thousands of people of health insurance with the stroke of a pen. It's a popular program that polls well in the state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Republicans doing think guns are an urban problem, they don't think they are a problem at all, and wouldn't be caught dead using gun and problem in the same sentence.

"Shoot the problem with a gun". Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I respectfully disagree. The tea party just claimed Boehner's head without any sort of backup plan or political goal other than ideological purity. Rational thought or opinions of constituents are by and large meaningless if they have a shot at sticking it to Obummer.

Even if it ultimately costs him his support, he is absolutely crazy enough to do it.

Late edit: They didn't force out Boehner like they did Cantor but the HFC is a major deciding factor to Boehner finally having enough of this poo poo so I feel it's still a valid comparison.

Salve your fears my friend.

• Locked thread