Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

DARPA Dad posted:

Any specific one you'd recommend?

Baking Steel :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

drat, 6 qt bowl lift kitchen aid for $250 at Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PZU3AEI/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Thoht posted:

They're noticeably more nonstick than stainless but it's still not the same level as teflon and stuff like that, e.g. you won't be able to cook eggs with no oil in it. I work in a place that uses all carbon steel pans and if we did a ton of eggs at brunch I would absolutely lobby to get some nonstick in.

Hrm.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GreaseGunner posted:

When I was in the UK everyone wanted a spiralizer. Can someone please explain to my why anyone would want a spiralizer? What on earth is the point of really long thinly sliced things? Also, why did they keep putting spiralized slices of cucumbers in my Moscow Mules?

Because if you order a hipster drink you get stuck with hipster gourds.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

You want a disc sander bit for your drill (assuming you don't own one) here's an example.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

VP215 is probably what you want.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Oh, so it's a religious war you want, eh? Aztecs didn't use no goddamn lime or lemon, get the gently caress outta here.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

M42 posted:

What's the best cheap meat grinder? For burgers n the like.

Kitchen aid attachment or a manual grinder (optionally attached to a drill).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have experience with induction cooktops (like induction hotplates)? Not a full stove just like 1 burner you plug in to the wall.

I'm moving into an apartment soon and I think it's going to have an electric coil stove that's seriously old. It's got ganged switches for burner power instead of a knob! So I'm thinking of getting an induction burner so I'm not stuck with a stove that looks like it belongs in black & white TV.

Are all induction burners stuck with discrete power levels? The ones I see on Amazon just have digital buttons to change the power level which is still pretty terrible. Plus they only have a handful of power levels which is also frustrating. I'm used to gas burners where I can get a lot of play in the power.

They all have discrete power levels AFAIK. My Max Burton had 10 (I rarely used anything higher than 5 except for finishing steaks) power levels and a really bad temperature based control. But my new baby Vollrath Mirage G4 has a 100 power levels and the temperature control is actually fairly good (it overshoots a shitload but it settles just right, pretty decent for maintaining a perfect-ish 15 PSI on my kuhn). I got the G4 for a steal off eBay, got kinda lucky because it was dead on arrival but I fixed it pretty easy and ended paying ~$200 for a near brand new unit after I told the seller I had to go get it fixed and he sent me a refund.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Halp,

which cream whipper should I get? The iSi profi is amazingly low priced right now at $55 but I came across this other one that has good reviews for 30 http://www.amazon.com/Impeccable-Cu..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The latter can do hot as well as cold, but according to steveyun you can convert the isi profi to do hot with a gasket change.

The profi gourmet has other differences that make it hardier (the valve works slightly differently) but the main piece that makes it hot-friendly is this guy: http://www.creamright.com/product/PRT-WCD-IS3031.html

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

There's a huge problem with buying poo poo recommended in this thread, I keep Baader-Meinhof'ing it on cooking shows, I keep seeing the benriner mandoline on cooking shows, the latest is ep 2 of Cooked.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

My used vollrath has 10 degree increments and I've used it for sous vide successfully sooooo I have no idea why I'd want that thing that costs 10x as much. (Most of the time I use the temperature feature as a slow cooker replacement.)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Does your Vollrath only measure external temperature or does it use a probe?

Only external temp, it overshoots a lot at the beginning but then it stabilizes rather nicely.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Regarding shakes, what about a Bamix?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Family Photo posted:

Anyone know the use-case difference between these two types of sizzle platters?

The one on the left is Winco brand, mirror-finish aluminum, $6.99.

The one on the right has "Melco / Cleve, OH / Made in USA" imprinted on the underside. Looks like cast aluminum? Dimpled and about twice as heavy. Doesn't flex at all. $15.99.

Most google searches for "sizzle platter" return the mirror-finished type.

Alternatively: http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/tools-test-kitchen/article/sizzle-platter

I mean it's aluminum but the thicker material will maybe hold temp better? Also not flexing sounds like a good thing. If it's for home use and you're not buying 90 then I don't see why not get the beefier matte one.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Looks like a new knife maker is trying to get some traction.
Has anyone gotten hands on or thoughts?

I do love my Wüsthof / Henkels

http://www.misen.co

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I am going to call it: This is the holy grail of inexpensive chef's knives. Incredible quality and design, high-end materials, perfect balance, and a razor-sharp edge.

That's right, $65 for a knife that can go head to head with my $180 Misono UX-10 or my $120 Wüsthof and come out the other end barely breaking a sweat.

e: Having handled one I can tell you a Misono UX-10 is no slouch and cuts amazingly well.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hed posted:

Now that the (former CI favorite) Whynter SNO ice cream maker is discontinued, what is the top self-refrigerating maker on the market?

(Before anyone says Liquid N2 + VitaMix, this one isn't for me)

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-ice-cream-maker/

They used to recommend the SNO also and now recommend the Whynter ICM-15LS.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Oh no, is J. Kenji Lopez someone I should be avoiding? His hard boiled eggs tips worked out well enough for me.

No. But as with everything consider his just one voice of many when looking at reviews. I value his opinion and his recipes have not let me down, Food Lab is also a great book.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

If one-pot hamburger helper is the price I pay to be cooking for myself instead of snacking on 7/11 poo poo for sustenance, then bring on the helper :colbert:

There's nothing wrong with the technique in the video, and I trust that channel to know what it's doing. My question wasn't about the video, anyway - it was whether it's critical to have stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick, because I don't wanna spend more money than I have to.

You will not get delicious delicious fond, get you a decent stainless or carbon steel skillet.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I'll look into getting stainless steel pans - I guess it's about time I invested in some.

I made some chicken curry today, with onions, coconut milk, curry powder, and crushed tomatoes :) It came out really well, and was a hit at dinner! I took the recipe from Mark Bittman's Mini Minimalist, and I'm really happy with it. I'm definitely making it again.

Oh, another great one to have is an enameled dutch oven, Lodge makes a nice one for the price. For this sort of one pot dishes it's a much better investment IMHO.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Amara posted:

This might be a silly question for this thread, but my microwave just broke this morning. Any recommendations for another one?

Whatever you get make it a Panasonic (or does anyone else make Inverters?) Inverter, so much better.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Amara posted:

What's an Inverter? Also, I unplugged it and let it rest for a few hours and plugged it back in and it magically worked again. So as long as my apartment isn't going to burn down, I'm actually looking much more slowly and have time to compare models.

Inverter microwaves can actually lower the intensity of the microwave beams instead of simply cycling on/off, they are shitloads better at... well everything, except overcooking food.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

TheQuietWilds posted:

Is there any consensus on carbon steel skillets? Lodge 'good enough' or is it worth upgrading to something pricier? I've only ever used carbon steel for woks but it worked well enough that a skillet seems like it would be nice. I'm currently using tri-ply stainless and cast iron.

Whatever you can find at a restaurant store or Matfer Bourgeat.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

1. Which Vitamix is the best value? We're primarily going to use this for soup and general blending duties.
2. Do the refurbs come in a box that says "This is a gift from someone that doesn't love you?"

1. Refurb or whatever is currently being sold by your neighborhood Costco

2. No idea.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Check out the Frigidaire FGHC2331PF it gets excellent reviews. Other than that you're looking at $2500+ for what you're looking for from Jenn-Air or Subzero. Keep in mind a lot of fridges are gonna feel flimsy because they are really just skinned frames full of insulation.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

novamute posted:

This exact thing and silicon baking mats/spatulas are the only kitchen poo poo I will recommend to every single person who cooks without hesitation.

The KR peelers, oh god recommend those too!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

My girlfriend loves to make ice cream and currently owns an inexpensive Cuisinart with the pre-freeze churning bowl. I would like to buy her one of the compressor type of ice cream makers for her birthday so she doesn't have to worry about turning down the freezer and pre-chilling the churning bowl the night before.

I've read some good things about the Breville BCI600XL and the Whynter ICM-200LS. $400 is about my upper limit to spend, so those high-end $700+ Italian ice cream makers are out. Anyone have experience with these sorts of ice cream makers?

I have the Whynter ICM-15LS and it's excellent, but I have read that the Breville makes good ice cream also. According to The Sweet Home it's better but not $150 better. Check out the list of features and decide for yourself.

Also about the ICM-200LS they say:

quote:

A sales representative told us that the machines have the same motor and compressor; the only difference is the ICM-200LS makes 2 quarts of ice cream as opposed to 1.5 quarts. We didn’t think an extra pint of ice cream was worth the extra $140, so we opted not to test.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 6, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hauki posted:

I bought that on the thread's recommendation and it constantly times out/powers off literally as I'm adding things. I'll turn it back on and like ten or twenty seconds later it's off again mid pour. It's fine if you need to weigh like one thing, but if you're trying to tare and weigh multiple things or do anything more involved expect it to be an exercise in frustration.

You're either exagerating or you got a lemon that should've gone back under warranty. You'd know this if you read the manual for it:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hauki posted:

I tried using it for pourover where I do a pulse pour every fifteen seconds and it would frequently power off in that interval, so no, that's not an exaggeration. I'll try it with a power adapter, that behavior didn't seem to have anything to do with battery life, as it was doing that when I first got it and continued behaving the same way with fresh batteries as well. Also that setting didn't seem to have any impact.

deimos posted:

You're either exagerating or you got a lemon that should've gone back under warranty. You'd know this if you read the manual for it:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Instant Pot, $79 on Amazon
http://deals.kinja.com/back-in-stock-the-versatile-indispensable-instant-pot-1790331481[ks|leftrailpopular

Thinking back, the $50 price might've been a once-only thing?

Check on CamelCamelCamel!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

You know what your kitchen needs? SMEG.

MA?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Why does the name SMEG look all rusted out

I mean I know that's not the point of the joke here but it's bothering me

It's reflecting boxes on the other side, even with the potato if you zoom in you can see it's actually shiny.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Churro mix is kinda thick I wouldn't try it on a zip lock.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

You need a bag, not sure what all can leech out of that orange plastic but it may not be the healthiest thing. I use Homer buckets with a polypropylene bag and a game lid for long term storage of flour and rice (for hurricane season).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I can confirm the oxo has a pretty weak spring holding down the plate.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Yeah I have never liked my oxo and have been meaning to replace it. RIP my 70s plastic one it replaced that I broke.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Matfer carbon steel are pretty drat good and not that pricey. And it's spot welded instead of having rivets, that automatically makes it 10x better.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I bought my A36 circle on Amazon with free shipping, works a treat. I use it mostly on my small oven and it doubles as a low profile lid for my Dutch oven.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

If you're gonna do a mini do an immersion blender with accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Vollrath or death. I've had my single burner 59500P for nine years and it's still going strong. If I ever redo my kitchen I am getting a two burner Vollrath induction burner and a two (or maybe single) gas burner and put them side by side. As it stands, I use induction for most of my cooking. Being able to do 1% increments is surprisingly useful.

E: helps that I got it for less than half retail (about a quarter of MSRP) because it had cosmetic damage

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 27, 2024