Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We have an anodized aluminum skillet (Calphalon) that is about 3 years old. I think at some point it got burnt or something, cause there's a spot in the middle that is slightly discolored and stuff always sticks around there! It's not like there is caked on carbon, it looks more like a discoloration that is smooth to the touch (when clean), like something chemical happened to the surface.

Has anyone seen this before / know what to do? Or is the pan hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Something like this?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/assure-parts-1-15-gpm-wall-mounted-pre-rinse-assembly-with-8-centers-and-12-add-on-faucet/190FPRSFA12K.html

e: "commercial sink sprayer" is what you want to google.
I've seen redone home kitchens with them in it, including a floating version that doesn't need the wall mount, for island sinks.

There's no reason a house can't dish out that pressure, unless your house has an unusually small service line. However you may need to re-plumb a bigger supply line to your sink (or you might not idk!).

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 11, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do you mean for making tofu from scratch, or for pressing existing tofu

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I wrap it in a clean tea towel then put it between two plates and put a cast iron pan on top and that's fine, if I'm really feeling wild I'll add like a few cans of canned goods on top of that

You really definitely don't need a special tool to press tofu imo

If you do make tofu from scratch then let's talk, a cheese press will do but you can also make do with two nesting takeout/tupperware containers with holes cut in them

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When I use an oven at its lowest setting to keep food warm, I put a damp tea towel over it and it keeps things pretty nice.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I was today years old when I learned that "convection oven" isn't just another name for your average full size oven.

When I was like 10 I think I got confused about this too because a lot if time in older writings you see "conventional" oven too, to distinguish from microwave ovens. And convention looks like convection.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

.Z. posted:

What I'm getting from their materials is that is just a convection heat + steam to help reduce moisture loss.

+ marketing

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm used to having a separated / 2-basin sink, where i use one with a metal rack for drying. We just moved into a house with a (very lovely) single-basin white porcelain sink and I need a new drying stand. I know there are those plastic drying stands meant to go beside the sink, with a catchment tray that drips into the sink, that would be functional but I was hoping for something a little nicer looking. Any thoughts?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking to upgrade my built-in (30") cooktop to induction. They range from like $900 to several grand. Other than matching the opening measurement and making sure I don't hate the burner configuration, what should I be looking for? What makes one better than another?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Correct, countertop built-in with easily accessed wiring beneath

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Touch controls on a stove top seem like a war crime.

Yeah one thing I'm struggling with looking for induction stoves is they're almost all touch control, probably because they're considered high end but ugh

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MisterBear posted:

If the former, wouldn’t it just pass through you?

My understanding the last time I read about this, which granted was like 10 years ago, is that teflon can be hazardous to at least your stomach and probably other parts of you, and that's why teflon cookware makers and testers do acknowledge (though imo slightly understate) the potential hazard of teflon + heat + wear/tear and that you should discard the pan if you overheat it or when it shows signs of wear.

I too have been slowly replacing my teflon cookware, in part because I don't like having the onus of continually evaluating the safety of my cookware over time and I don't believe most people (incl. me) are going to be particularly good at doing so.

I was just wondering the same thing about my rice cooker this past weekend in fact. I mean I can cook rice on a stovetop just fine in a stainless steel pot and it comes out fine / isn't that hard to clean, so I don't see why a rice cooker couldn't be teflon-free and still be nice to use. Curious to hear others' thoughts on this. Just committing to periodically replacing the inner pot also seems like an acceptable solution, if I can find the replacement pot.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mystes posted:

(when you're mixing it into stuff I don't think the texture makes any difference, though; you just have to adjust for density if you're using volumetric measurements)

This drives me crazy, why do recipes that involve mixing salt into stuff try to specify kosher salt? It's going to dissolve, it doesn't matter!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have definitely had that issue many times with the toaster oven at my office.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Look at this $100 juicer

*war of the worlds terror horn sound*
Oh that must mean my juice is done

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:wtc: induction is like 420 cast iron every day

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I'm in the middle of switching to induction and just got a very very large flat bottomed wok.

Yeah I installed my induction cooktop 2 weeks ago* and the old wok was anodized aluminum flat-bottom, so I got a nice carbon steel flat-bottom wok. I know I'll never get the ~~ True Wok Experience ~~ without a mega gas burner but I'm excited to learn to use a seasoned steel wok anyway.

I had already been in a slow process of upping my use of cast iron too, and the induction cooktop has been great with them, I love it. At this point I don't miss my calphalon non-stick pans at all.

*Switching one built-in cooktop for another was supposed to be a quick straightforward one hour job and turned into an all day disaster, as any good home improvement project should. Turns out "standard" cutout sizes are not that standard.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ror posted:

I mean presumably an induction hob can make a pan as hot as it wants and that’s probably good enough for a wok if you’re not chasing the hei, but when I said glass stovetop I meant non-induction as well, just the coil embedded in the glass. It’s probably possible, but you really have to have a nice pan and a nice stove to get ideal contact and conduction.

Yeah I used a flat bottom aluminum wok on a glass radiant cooktop for years and it was not great, but sorta passable. I guess i was mainly using the wok for its shape and size but dealing with the fact that the heat was mostly at the bottom.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I spent a while reading reviews and settled on the yosukata black carbon steel flat bottom wok. Serious Eats did a big review of flat bottom woks where they actually talk about the tests they did on them, which at least makes it a little more convincing than random paid promotion or machine generated garbage out there but who knows, maybe I've been fooled. I will let you know in a few weeks if I'm still happy with it, but for now I'm just passing on what I read.

It's still pretty heavy... not cast iron heavy but not light. But something light isn't going to take induction very well and isn't going to distribute heat very well either, so just make peace with the fact that anything good will probably be a bit heavy (maybe not cast iron heavy though)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

I spent a while reading reviews and settled on the yosukata black carbon steel flat bottom wok. Serious Eats did a big review of flat bottom woks where they actually talk about the tests they did on them, which at least makes it a little more convincing than random paid promotion or machine generated garbage out there but who knows, maybe I've been fooled. I will let you know in a few weeks if I'm still happy with it, but for now I'm just passing on what I read.

It's still pretty heavy... not cast iron heavy but not light. But something light isn't going to take induction very well and isn't going to distribute heat very well either, so just make peace with the fact that anything good will probably be a bit heavy (maybe not cast iron heavy though)

First meal cooked on this new wok + new induction stove. I was very happy with it. I had expected to have to use the 6" or 8" burners and that they would only couple with that flat bottom part, but to my surprise the 13" burner was happy to couple with it and actually added some heat partway up the slope. The metal spread the heat around to the rest pretty nicely and for the first time since I used to have a gas stove, I really felt like the wok was doing what a wok should (okay not mega hot "wok hei" stuff but pretty drat good)

I make no claim that this is specific to the wok I bought, nor that it would perform the same with every induction cooktop, but I will say i was pleased with how the new system performed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Nice. I just read the entire Serious Eats review of that wok and think I'm gonna pick it up too. Did you do any additional seasoning of it when you got it?

Edit: did you get the 11.5" or the 13.5"?

The 13.5. and yes i washed and re-seasoned it as recommended. Also beware the serious eats article says the handle is removable, if a bit difficult, but the wok's manual says not to remove it. Still bet you could though. But just to be safe I seasoned it on the stove instead of the oven or grill.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's been established for a while that "microwave safe" plastic containers shouldn't really be microwaved

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been pretty happy with my silicone brush for years. Relatively easy to clean, even in the dishwasher, will probably last forever, and spreads stuff just fine even if it takes some extra trips to the bowl of whatever. If i were doing high throughput cooking like a pro I'd definitely use bristle brush and replace as needed, but for the occasional egg warsh or butter baste it's fine.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Talk about your uni-taskers.... I've always kind of wanted a raclette melter machine for parties.

Anyone ever buy such a thing?

I've always had good success melting raclette in a small glass pan in the oven. Sloughs off onto the potatoes just fine and tastes great. If you wanted to get more traditional you could get a raclette iron and stick that in the oven or grill but i don't see what a dedicated machine would get you unless you're looking to sell raclette on the street (which if you are, please move to where i live so i can buy street raclette from you)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Boiling water is a pretty low bar to pass so I got what looked nicest in my kitchen, which is the Bodum kettle with cork handles. It's also goose neck so it pours well.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Built in or standalone?

Built-in wise I've been happy with my GE Profile (30") for its price, but then again it's not like i bought and tried a bunch of them

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

I’ve got the same and I’m only meh on it. It’s a huge upgrade from electric, but I don’t like the touch controls and I feel like the whine at full power is annoying. Also, sometimes the pan detectors get all glitchy on mine.

I had wanted real knobs but Sadly very few induction cooktops I could find had physical knobs, and I wasn't going to pay an extra grand just to satisfy my hatred of capacitive touch control. But the happy ending is, the touch controls have been way less annoying than I'd feared and pretty reliable. I won't say I like them but i don't dislike them.

I do find that whine noises only occur with my lightest pots also, heavier stuff does not whine.

Anyway yeah it's not perfect. But as you said it's way better than regular electric imo, and would a fancier unit for twice as much be much better? Most of the reviews I read did not convince me they would but i will never know for sure

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SubG posted:

The three minute time has nothing to do with the pathogen growth rate, it's the time at which the sample was collected. In cutting board tests the surface is contaminated and then later tested. If you test three minutes after contamination, the number of recovered pathogens is an order of magnitude greater for an old wood cutting board versus a new wood cutting board.

I don't have a dog in this fight but the question at hand is end grain cutting board vs side grain, not wood vs not, so this isn't relevant unless we know if the test you're talking about was end or side grain, since the entire claim at hand is that end grain is kind of self healing

alnilam fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 30, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Between my phone and the timers of my oven and microwave, I rarely need anything more, but on occasion I appreciate having a mechanical rotary timer, which are a dime a dozen at any thrift store. It's nice to be able to quickly turn a knob to the desired time instead of hitting the minute button until you get there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eezee posted:

Do you mostly like the electronic version because it's even more hands off to the point of putting it on and walking away or are there any other killer features?

Having used both myself, yeah it's this, for me. The convenience of having a timed pressure cook followed by keep-warm so I can walk away is amazing. Especially with two young children.

The ability to maintain a 100F water bath for yogurt is a nice bonus feature too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I make my yogurt into jars and use the pot to keep a water bath at temperature, no need for cleanup of the pot afterwards