Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We're not categorizing inanimate objects by grammatical gender because we think they are literally gendered, we are doing it for no reason whatsoever :agesilaus: get rekt anglos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

The sandwich was tasty
The King of England is visiting

I say the different in these two sentences. Maybe you don't. A language with stricter noun classes might formalize this with different articles and have a codified learnable set of grammar rules. English just says whatever man.

I feel like this example is more a matter of context than a property of the specific nouns involved, so I'm not sure it's a great example.

Ultimately it's all arbitrary bullshit either way, you're not going to arrive at anything sensible or elegant unless you go deep into useless conlangs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Indeed, but I think more that Japanese has very specific language for it which doesn't really have English equivalents, even if a lot of it is considered outdated (if legible) on the level of thou and thee. Like how you got particular honorifics for others and yourself which are well past use in casual modern language besides very specific circumstances. (mostly thinking 'aniki', thanks Yakuza and anime)

Yeah, sites like Legends of Localization are full of translation notes that say "this sentence was translated perfectly accurately but in Japanese it was really rude" (or conversely, "this sentence is full of insults that were made up whole cloth by the translator, because the Japanese script was written in that tone but it wouldn't come across in a direct translation.")

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean paganism would have been those things because shockingly a bunch of people that existed thousands of years ago weren’t exactly progressive

Sure, but they also had an entirely different set of values and prejudices and the things that are divisive today are not necessarily things they would have given two shits about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NoiseAnnoys posted:

plus, like with all languages, phonetic shift happened, and you can start to see the gradual shift away from the orthography and pronunciation, and not just with variations of "v" but other letters as well, from old to middle to late latin, and then into church and medieval latin. so by late antiquity v is was most likely pronounced /v/ instead of /w/.

By the fall of the western empire Romans were already making fun of Iberians for pronouncing it as /b/, which suggests that the common pronunciation wasn't far off by that point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let's actually contextualize this with some recent history:

Since 2018, the televised version of the parade doesn't feature blackface anymore. This was a big moment, because many kids watch the televised thing, and to keep a consistent story, local events often follow their lead.

In 2020, for the first time the amount of people who said moving away from blackface is fine was more than half, in a representative poll. However, the percentage of people in favour of keeping blackface (in the range of 35-39%) hasn't dropped further since then.

The organisation that fights against blackface has since then continued their protests in every city that still does blackface. They tend to be peaceful, but especially in very conservative places, these protests tend to draw out truly violent racists, who throw rocks and eggs at them or try to hit them with cars. Last year (2022), when this happened, the police, who was "overwhelmed" fled the scene and didn't protect the protestors at all.

However, some good seems to have come from this, because this year many municipal governments in places that still did blackface refused to organizationally and financially support the parades out of fear of "harming the public safety". See, they can't ban protests because those are constitutionally protected, but they can refuse to help organize a parade. A bunch of those places didn't do a parade at all because the very conservative organizers refused to do an inclusive one at all.
Some others apparently did a "secret" blackface parade in some suburb or industrial area of the city, without any city funding, and only informing locals the day before with flyers, so that the protestors couldn't get there in time.

In summary, every year since the protests began in full, blackface in the Netherlands has being pushed further into the fringes of society. It probably won't disappear completely anytime soon but people are much less likely to run into it now.
However, sadly there's still a sizable chunk of the population who want to keep blackface. That, combined with the fact that the far right anti-immigration party won the elections last week, makes it hard to predict how this topic will evolve.

Of course, by now, a whole generation of kids has grown up really only knowing the non-blackface Pete, so they don't have an "old tradition to protect", which is why I'm somewhat hopeful that as more boomers die and the new generation grows up, blackface becomes a thing of the past.

I'm trying to imagine being so invested in being racist that you start throwing guerrilla minstrel parades, flash mob style.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

Update to this post from a while ago:

So in the summer of last year, there was this weird wave of anti-woke idiocy in Denmark where a bunch of public figures were harassed, and so even the auhtors of this study. But for the last couple years, there's been a lot of DNA analysis going on from more than a thousand graves & bog bodies all over europe and basically around ~5k years ago, theres a huge shift in the "Danish" DNA.

It turns out that actually modern Danes are basically 100% descended from immigrants of Yamnaya peoples from the Pontic steppes. Our ancestors came here and killed/displaced the indiginous population. I wonder how Ukrainians fare on the woke/anti-woke scale compared to the brown skin blue eyed earlier peoples. Also a bonus: this means that most megaliths of romantic patriotism are no longer ours to claim lol

https://videnskab.dk/krop-sundhed/e...-end-5-000-aar/
https://videnskab.dk/krop-sundhed/dna-forsker-det-er-ikke-for-at-vaere-woke-at-vi-illustrerer-fortidens-europaeere-med-moerk-hud/

I love watching people melt down on social media over poo poo like this. "Well sure the original inhabitants might have been dark skinned when they migrated to northern Europe but by 4000 BC they had been living there for hundreds of generations so why would they still be black???" as if they magically absorbed whiteness from the soil :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To be fair I think the initial paleo diet was just cutting out “processed” foods. It’s junk science but you will probably be less fat if you do it bc you’re cutting out a lot of easy high calorie snack junk.

Unfortunately people are morons.

The same principal worked for low carb. It deletes a lot of junk. But somehow it became 22yo goons getting senior meds because all their meals were fatty red meats fried in lard.

Yeah, the original paleo concept had some awareness that stone age humans actually were eating a lot of grains and tubers, the argument was that modern varieties were so far removed from what they started out as in the wild that it was best to cut them out altogether on favor of other plant based foods (which again, is a pretty decent weight loss strategy in general, for other reasons.) But people fixated on the animal protein parts so it turned into "meat and eggs and dairy and just enough kale that you don't poo poo your intestines out."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

So in a case of 'witch-ducking' logic, the prosecutor got the expert to state that the handwriting samples given by Beck in '94-95 were in a disguised hand. Yes, the fact that the handwriting DIDN'T match, reasoned the prosecutor, meant that Smith and Beck were one and the same.

Wasn't this same logic used to convict Alfred Dreyfus at basically the same time? Get your act together, mid-1890s judicial proceedings!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

I didn't realize there were any Sumerian Hipsters

Well, they didn't record much about them because they were too busy talking about beer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ommin posted:

That is amazing, but drat, they really should consider updating their rules for the new generations. I would think you would want to adapt to keep those traditions alive. Maybe "horsepower" could be an acceptable substitute?

I told this story to my wife and she suggested that hotwiring a Ford Mustang should count (at least during wartime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Salish people what do you know about horses

They don't know anything, clearly. That's why the meaning of horses is still a mystery to them.