Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Nothing worth discussing, to be honest.

So FW newsletter is out and just hinting at the Calth stuff being revealed tomorrow. Or maybe they are showing new stuff to go along with the pre-orders? Would be cool.

P.s. gently caress the casting of the Sicaran tank, what a mess.

The initial video last week said something like 250 hours. I'm too lazy to do the math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Just received another email: "See it in stores" on Nov 7th.

Still ambiguous as to if it's a reveal or on sale tomorrow.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

PierreTheMime posted:

It will be on display tomorrow and available for pre-order. The game is released on the 14th.

Cool. Compare that to what I received.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Haha they're kitbashed from vanguard and Raptors if I recall, I always laugh at some of the poses too. There's one guy who just looks like he's sighing at all the heresy going on around him.

4E Raptors are where it's at.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Until they buckle at the toe.

I've realized with the decline of metal minis the art of pinning seems to have vanished.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Given that they've been sitting on the plastics from Calth since last year, I wonder if the timing of this release is to try and boost numbers after the apparent failure of AoS.

This is pretty much well known. The Calth box game is even some hashed-together last minute bullshit to separate it as a different product (and unattached from Forgeworld/40k core).

They can then say, "this year we had a dramatic increase in new releases." Even though AoS is a shitfest.

Although I am surprised this came out after the quarter end, however I'm not a financial goon.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well there was a chunk of loyalist EC led by Saul Tarvitz. Don't know if any made it off Isstvan but since they've been so cagey about Saul's death they might be saving it for a novel with him getting off planet.

The original term for shattered legions included not only only the ones on Istvaan V but also among all the legions both loyal and traitor some companies split off.

In some cases the Warrior Lodges were able to infiltrate all the legions to a degree. Some loyal legions had companies turn against them. Many of the traitor legions remained loyal. Some vanished, others absorbed into other legions.

You had Fallen Dark Angels, 1k sons not on Prospero, task forces for Night Lords, EC, and the like that could have gone either way. There's years where everything was pure bedlam. I'm sure I even read about the most steadfast legions like the SW/UM/IF having some parts break away.

I'm almost sure Tarvitz, Garro, and Half-Heard were not the only who didn't turn. I also am fairly sure in the months-long campaign on Istvaan III many of the purged were able to get away.

PantsOptional posted:

I'm 99% positive that Alpharius and Omegon get called out close to the end as being two separate people who for some reason share the same soul. How that works or how it happened is another question entirely.

I like this just as much as the split personality theory. Tbh I like that it's not going to be answered.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fearless posted:

Hell no. Mix and match to your heart's content. I have a bunch of Mk 3 pauldrons on my Mk 4 marines and they look good I think.

Also, I got some headswaps from here: http://wargameexclusive.com/

There are a bunch of cheesecake-y type models there, but there are also a bunch of excellent Mk II, III and IV heads with crests to be had. Mine arrived today and I've used them to make tactical sergeants and veterans for my command squad. The quality is superb; I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Also consider Avil's Spartan/Maximus helmets for a different twist, especially for those looking into 1k sons.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tbh I'm beginning to think choosing a legion is the hardest part of 30k.

I'm still back and forth between DG, 1ks, and NL. At least I have until the box arrives to decide.

gently caress, GW struck gold with this and they know it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

With 500 points what are you expecting to come across with AV 14?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

Don't worry, you have years of precedent to ease your fears.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hixson posted:

Another batch of dudes ready for basing!

Where'd you get the shoulder pads?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hixson posted:

I made them. Scuplted one with green stuff and casted a bunch of copies

They're fantastic. Nice work.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Why does the girl on WarhammerTV paint things backwards? It's really weird.

Why would you paint the trim before the base color?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

I'm personally not a huge fan of the airbrushed greens - the lights, coils, etc. but everything else about those models is baller as hell.

To be honest I've seen very, very few successful "light glow" effects done. I'm talking one or two. The only one I remember was on a recent MWG video with a Necron monolith and a single light looked just like an LED had been put in.

This is out of hundreds. The intended effect is supposed to be a glow effect but ends up looking like an ugly blotch of bright paint.

I saw one a while back where the guy had airbrushed a blue plasma glow over more than a third of his/her fantastically painted mechanicum. :psyduck:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

LordAba posted:

Eldar direavenger exarch has a power armor scale spear. Good luck finding it at a decent price?

I haven't found any 3rd party ones yet.

Check kromlech.eu. They have a bunch of bits and random melee weapons and such.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

koreban posted:

Can't make that drat white look smooth, even after 5 coats of milky thin paint.

Did you base coat white? Base white, and use P3 white. My son plays EC and it works like a charm.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

koreban posted:

p3 Menoth Base and Game Color Dead White. I'll check out p3's white.

Just checked. He uses Morrow white and GW Lahmian medium, 50/50 mix. Between 8-10 coats.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That would be me. Those are fantastic. I know how to do the chipped armor look but what's the best way to do the dirt and grime?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Start with a Zenithal Prime. Then highlight with white, color in your red, and do your metals. Oil wash everything with a dark brown and then throw some pigments on for the dirt afterwards. It's super super easy to great results on white, but you use a rattelcan or airbrush. If you do this by hand you will hate your life.

Thanks

I've never used an airbrush. Guess it's a good time to start.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Is he the one who throws plastic men in anger?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm looking to get a good airbrush setup, but I know nothing about them- I'm looking for suggestions on what I'd need.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

panascope posted:

Wrong. Mark IV is God-tier. Mark III is for the legions who didn't know how to bathe themselves.

I was going to disagree until I gave it some thought.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Hixson posted:

Any indication when Thousand Sons legion rules will be released? I've been completely out of the loop

End of 2016 with Space Wolves

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm putting together Calth marines, was going for White Scars but gently caress painting white and I don't have an airbrush. Sticking with Thousand Sons.

Without any book I have no idea how I want these Calth guys put together. I know they'll probably like the reapers and be more shooty, butt what should I equip the sergeant with? That among other questions.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Please god no formations, no unbound, no detachments, no major bullshit

That's my biggest worry.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

It is extremely bad now, and I hope a reset like 3rd ed happens.

The amount of formations is so numerous that it's completely impossible to track. For example, how many are familiar with Scions of the Ancients?

And it's not just formations. GW made a "standard" set of special rules withe the intent to make knowing who has rerolls, FNP, etc much easier only to make it all moot by giving not just specific units/characters a multitude of these rules, but having additional special rules based on formations.

When you toss in allies it makes it even worse. Now you can have multiple formations allied with another army with multiple formations, and in addition have special allies that also have their own sets of rules. This allows things to stack in such a ridiculous way that you spend more time trying to figure out what a unit can do than playing.

One of the most common things I hear players look back on when reviewing a game is how many special rules they forgot they had.

I am ok with formations going so far as to replace the FoC, however they need stop everything right now first.

Reset. Make a 7.5th edition. Or even 8th. Who cares.

Address the problems with the current system, including D weapons. Create specific game modes- troop heavy traditional, larger scale with flyers/heavies, massive with LoW, then Apoc.

Make a single rulebook like 3rd. Drop the FoC and put in formations for ALL armies. Scrap any formations that are unused and evaluate any that are always used. This is now your core. All players need to buy it and that means money for GW.

Now comes the new part: Make a single campaign book per year that includes formations for ALL armies, and use this to expand the universe. Also add in Chapter Approved changes based on feedback and. Everyone will buy that book, more money for GW.

Now you have a semiannual rule update system across the board, and can add/remove these formations without confusing people.

Also, gently caress rerolls and modifiers. Drop all that poo poo. Master crafted weapons and armor get rerolls. Nothing else.

Also, stop this ignores cover bullshit. That should only be for scattering indirect fire. Removing cover takes away tactics.

e: Sorry, thought I was in the 40k thread.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 15, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I've been airbrushing for a couple weeks now, and so far I have to say stick with Vallejo air paint. I tried Citadel air ironbreaker and it was horribly thin out of the bottle. Also, why the hell would they not put it in a dropper bottle?

For mixing, P3 responds well to about a 7:1 mix while GW brush paints are so inconsistent that I couldn't even begin. Anywhere from 10:1 to 20:1.

I picked up Createx transparent red since I happened to be at Hobby Lobby and used that in place of Minitaire Ghost blood red (if you haven't figured it out I'm painting 1k Sons) and it's ok. I have all of the models taking a Purple Power bath right now as I was completely unhappy with the job I did and the Minitaire paint will be in this weekend.

I'm still using the Masters airbrush but I'm considering upgrading to a Badger Patriot, the brush itself doesn't seem bad however I don't think the trigger stop thing actually does what it's supposed to. No matter how far in or out I have it screwed in nothing changes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Oh that's nice, I was going to pick up some of that to try out. Was it the AutoAir Candy or the Transparent?

Transparent

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Ghost Tint came in yesterday. Here's a comparison between Minitaire "Fresh Blood" ($7) and Createx "Deep Red" ($5).

Both claim to be transparent.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone have any good schemes for Raven Guard? Probably going to be my next project in a drop site massacre theme following from my Salamanders. Not sure how to make black look interesting enough. I can airbrush if that helps

Black then blue wash along the edges. Highlight with Eshin grey. Use white for contrast and that's about it.
They're about as difficult as Iron Hands.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

The Heresy train ain't got no brakes

Your ultras are the only version I've looked at and said, "yeah those are awesome looking."*

*except those 2nd ed throwback ones from last year some goon made

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Then yeah totally a trap. The value of a Spartan is already dubious if you're not carrying some amazing super cool unit that will munch whatever it touches, but two of them for BA tacticals? Nein!

Unless you're playing in a big enough game that you can still fit other things in your list, then sure, your tacticals will actually be better protected than those in rhinos.

Speaking of blood bagels, I'm getting there.

How did you get the metallic to work so well? I tried 4 different times and failed, finally resorting to a matte finish.

All with black base:

First attempt: ironbreaker air -> Creatix red transparent. It looked plasti dipped.

Second attempt: ironbreaker air with runefang air highlight -> Minitaire Ghost Tint. Too pink.

Third attempt: ironbreaker air, single thin coat with Ghost Tint -> Minitaire Ghost Tint. Too red (think Word Bearers)

Fourth attempt: ironbreaker air, Forge World Khorne red Angron red. Still could not get the right metallic tint.

I just ended up going with a Khorne red base, Mephiston later and a scarlet red highlight. It looks ok, but nowhere near the effect I wanted.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 27, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

I think I get the problem you're having. How many coats of clear red are you doing?

For my TS I start with the base:
Vallejo Metallic Color Gloss Black -> MC Gunmetal Grey -> MC Gold -> MC White Aluminium.
(I'm going to be changing that formula a bit, because the gloss primer is amazing on large, not too detailed surfaces like the model planes it was made for, but getting a mirrored coat on complex surfaces is a pain. You can sort of see what I mean on the front-most guy's legs (mirror finish) and the the shoulderpads (slightly fuzzier).)

Anyway after that I do the red, which takes 5 to 7 coats. The clear paints are pretty thick , if you go too heavy it just makes a mess as you found out.
Here's two tests I did, using Angron Red (the one you have) and Tamiya Clear Red (the one I ended up preferring). In both cases you do a light spray, wait for it to try, and keep repeating until you get the color you want.

Tamita is thinned 1:1 with X-20A Thinner, Angron Red is 4:1.

It's tempting to go heavy with the first two coats because you barely notice they are there (that's why I kept the original non-tinted color as a reference) but slow and steady gets the best results. If you're not doing multiple models at the same time then a hairdryer is very useful since you want the previous coat to be dry or almost dry before moving to the next.

e. I've seen someone get good results with Createx AutoAir Candy, but nothing good out of the regular transparents. Might want to ditch that and stick with Angron Red or something more accessible like Tamiya Clear Red.

Thank you for this answer, it clears up a huge amount of missing information, I was treating a "few" as about 3 as opposed to 5-7. Also, I'm a complete idiot for not testing on spoons before painting/stripping my mans several times (thankfully Totally Awesome is gentle)

I'm going to mostly use VMA metallics now because the GW ones give me a headache constantly with flow issues. Maybe Steel -> Relictor Gold -> aluminum (or silver?)

What's the gold you used on the spoon second from the left with the Angron Red? I like the way the red came out on that one.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 27, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Good choice on the VMA, the various silvers/non-gold metals from that line are great. I'd probably go a step darker with Black Metal or Gunmetal, but that just depends on how strong you like the shadows.

The gold is Metal Color Gold, all the spoons were done with that one. It has a slight greenish hue to it that I dislike for model painting, but it's perfect as a base for the clear red. Toss a bit of Copper into that Gold though and it's awesome as a standard paint (2:1 Gold + Copper is what I do for the Tsons' shiny bits).

Here's the best choice I have for copper. The coat on the spoons is a single coat of the steel- from right to left I have CA Relictor Gold, VMA plain yellow, CA averland sunset, and standard Citadel layer of Auric armor gold.

For brass/copper I have all sorts of citadel metallics to mix in. I'll probably get more spoons tomorrow and order VMA gold but that's a 2-day Amazon wait.

Honestly I love VMA paint. I've never had a single issue with it like I have with GW's

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Not that it matters come November the whole thing will get hosed. Inferno will probably stipulate that bagel angels Thousand Sons are not allowed more than one heavy support and one fast attack choice to represent their dinky little legion size.

I'm thinking more reapers, robits, and psyker stuff?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mango Polo posted:

Yeah don't worry about copper, I just mentioned that one because the Metal Color Gold is green as hell and needs another color to warm it up. The VMA Gold is probably fine.

I do think that Steel might be a tad too bright, but it's worth trying out. E. I've seen someone mention they mix in a little bit of straight black into the Steel to darken it. Might be worth trying.

Yep, it is too light. I don't think I want to mix for this for consistency- I don't have confidence that down the road I'll have it match.

I've gone ahead and ordered gun metal and also black metal from Amazon.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hey duders, pick up your B@C sets before its too late. They are going into individual boxes on thursday. http://natfka.blogspot.dk/2016/07/this-week-individual-horus-heresy-box.html

$40 for 30 Mark IV mens isn't bad, I think on eBay they had recently dropped to about $20 however I'm sure with this news the price is already risen.

I have to thank Mango Polo, repainted my Thousand Sons terminators, the rest of the fellowship will have to wait for the Angron Red to make its way over from the UK as I ran out doing test after test- I probably went through about 20 spoons before I finally found the recipe that had the shade I was looking for (metallic, and with the shade as in the HH profile pic but also with a "glow" of copper in direct light)

This is after the original attempt, it came out too bright and looked plasti-dipped:

Using Mango Polo's advice (however no copper/gold on mine) this is what I have. It's brighter than the pic, I'll take better ones once I'm done painting them.

e: the recipe-

Prime black
Airbrush level with VMA Black Metal
Zenithal highlight VMA Gun Metal
7 or so coats of FW Angron Red mixed 4:1
2 thin coats Vallejo gloss varnish

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 5, 2016

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Should you seal Forgeworld transparent paint like any other candy color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Awesome, thanks.