Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Arivia posted:

So I've now taken a couple TeCjs past Lair, and I think I'm doing something wrong. I feel like I'm running out of steam when I get to the Lair branches. I have enough damage to get through Orc, but after that poo poo is just not dying. I've been transitioning to say Bolt spells, but those don't seem to be enough. I'm not really dying to a particular monster, it's just getting worn down by slogging it out. Maybe I'm spreading my skills out too much? But if I kept doubling down on Conjurations/Air for Freezing Cloud, I'd never have an opportunity to get up my defensive skills. I'm really not sure what to do, I think I've got a handle on the early game up to Lair:8 but beyond that I'm not sure. Here's the morgue for my last one to get anywhere: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Arivia/morgue-Arivia-20160113-015940.txt

Just got my first caster win with a GrEE using this guide: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Majang%27s_Caster_Walk-Through, and a lot of help from people on the thread (thanks everyone!).

Once I got past Lair/Orc it felt like I was ahead of the power curve (a +10 Int amulet probably helped there). It was really fun and played entirely differently to my other win with a MiBe.

Some lessons I learned. Iron Bolt is extremely powerful when you get it up there, as is shatter. LCS was good for killing Orbs of Fire ASAP but Iron bolt would have probably done the trick anyway. Earth spells are mostly irresistible which is great. People on the thread telling me I can definitely win without firestorm were 100% on the money. Gargoyle AC bonus allows you to go through a 3 rune win with a +2 robe of Archmagi without really being in any danger. The only time I was in serious trouble was being trapped by Mennas and some other stuff, and that was due to his silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Luceid posted:

at half health you should probably already be running for the stairs so you can get back to full health and come back to open the fight with a rod blast or a javelin toss or something though!!

And not following this advice is why I can never get a MiFi off the ground....

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah, while they may not have much in terms of defence they're still fairly resilient in terms of HP, at least when you encounter them early. I wouldn't call having no defence but being able to take a fair bit of damage glass cannon-like.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

On the (eternal) subject of unavoidable deaths. Just turned a corner, ran into bloody Sigmund two squares away. Take a step away from him, get confused, try to step away from him, die...

On another note, does anyone have a short outline of how they get a TeCj off the ground?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Online is an easy way to keep playing the latest version, to share your morgue files and to have people spectate. Also, when the 0.18 tournament comes around, online is the only way to join in, and tournaments are great, even if or maybe especially if you're a new player.
One hint to keep in mind is that on the latest version, the enemies are colour coded by estimated difficulty, so you can use that as a rough hint until you understand more about the game to determine their danger level yourself. Also, never rush and use ctrl+x a lot for situational awareness. Finally, playing MiBe is easy mode and a great way to get a first win.
Enjoy one of the best games out there!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

It was totally my fault though, there were a billion things I could have done in retrospect to save myself but I took a break and completely forgot I had those options. Aaauuuuugh I'm so mad at myself!

Crawl: teaching you the hard way since... I don't know, since when?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Who needs speed runs when you can do nudie runs?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sif Muna, the toilet reading material goddess. Can anyone provide a compelling reason to worship her?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Well, I'm no caster expert, but I've reached mid level around 15 times with one and I don't see the big benefit from the extra books. By time you clear elf you've access to most spells required for the various strategies you need. I just think vehumet is so much more compelling that I can't think of when I would decide to go Sif unless I was doing it for its own sake. I'm very happy to admit I'm wrong on this, as I said I've very little experience with casters.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

On a different note entirely, I'm trying to build trunk for the mac, using the make mac-app-tiles command. It builds everything but when I try to open the .app it freezes for a second and then nothing, i.e. no window is shown or anything like that. Tried deleting my Application Support/DCSS folder but no change. Can anyone help with troubleshooting this?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

On a different note entirely, I'm trying to build trunk for the mac, using the make mac-app-tiles command. It builds everything but when I try to open the .app it freezes for a second and then nothing, i.e. no window is shown or anything like that. Tried deleting my Application Support/DCSS folder but no change. Can anyone help with troubleshooting this?

OK, I've figured it out, so if anyone else is interested, you have to pass the APPLE and TILES flags even though you could have reasonably thought the build target would provide them, meaning instead of:

code:
make mac-app-tiles
you have to run:

code:
make APPLE_GCC=y NO_PKGCONFIG=y CONTRIB_SDL=y TILES=y mac-app-tiles

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone else unable to connect to CPO? I'm getting a message that it's reached max connections and it's been like this for hours. Surely it can't actually be fully booked, I never see more than four people at the same time.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone have survivability tips for a DEFE?

I've managed to kill both of these after clearing Lair and Orc, where usually things start rolling, E1 was an absolute disaster.

Is the answer simply don't do Elf1-2 after Orc or should I be focusing more on defence in general and am going at this all wrong? I've only ever been playing blaster caster, and while that works with GrEE quite well, DEFE seems to fall apart in the late mid game.

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/morgue-unimpressed-20160203-070332.txt

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/morgue-unimpressed-20160131-034057.txt

I had dozens of spells to choose from in books not carried for both of these. Just looking for a general pattern you guys use with DEFEs.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jesus, if crawl is easy now, I'd hate to have played when it was hard...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, just got myself stupidly killed by a v large slime playing DDFi^Pakellas. Gotta say, Pak is really fun, it's like playing a totally different game after being worn down by my weakling do nothing casters. I hope he doesn't get nerfed before the 0.18 tournament (whenever that comes around).

As an aside, Pak gave me two rods of inaccuracy as gifts by XL15. Is he just being an arsehole or is the description misleading and those are actually good rods?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So I know I've read here that any aptitude down to -1 is still OK, but would that be good enough for a main skill, like Evo for a Pakellas follower?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

When am I ever going to learn? loving red ghost, I run to the stairs, zap it a couple of times, it goes down to 1/3 health, I know I should just go up, but I try zapping it once more, and I'm dead.

What's the secret, good players? After hundreds of games, I keep letting my optimism get the better of my judgement. Am I doomed to suck at crawl or were you the same and eventually learned the lesson on the way to crawl zendom?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

My problem is that I do know the threat levels for the most part, as in I know I would be better off just running from the ghost, it's text is red goddamit, but at the same time, I want to try and kill it and just one more shot should do it, but drat, I'm dead. It's more out of stupidity than not knowing better. Hopefully I'll just learn to curtail my over-optimism. I guess the key to survival is to be more on the pessimistic side.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wow, that last one cleared D1 and got XL3 in 12 seconds. I'm impressed.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Huh, really? Why would you bot crawl? To get through the early game?
I've only ever heard of bots in multiplayer games...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ah, that makes sense. I'm just used to botting being in the context of gaining advantage over live players.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

As a big buff Minotaur fighter about to get his second rune, is it better to go with unenchanted plate mail, or chain mail that is currently my only source of rFire? I've got a bunch of enchant armor scrolls to burn but I don't know if the rFire is worth the AC hit.

From my limited experience, a fully enchanted chain mail is more than sufficient for a three rune with a MiFi. That said, a single rF+ isn't that big a deal, you'll more likely than not get something better down the track. I'd personally go with the chain given it probably gives you a bit more EV at this stage, and save my enchant armours for something better.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Anyone know where the local version log file is? I've just built trunk and had three crashes playing DSWz. First time I've ever had crashes.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

./saves/logfile

Hmm, thanks. I saw that file before asking, it didn't have any stack trace or anything like that so I figured there might have been something else. I'll just keep an eye on git and wait a few more commits and play online in the meantime.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

... just like god intended...

You're gonna have to be more specific :)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Today I learned that Fulminant Prism is awesome. I died of course, but it was fun. Bloody Kirke.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Add an actual cape item, which is to cloaks as hats are to helmets. Meaning it fits on actually every race, but is rarer and I guess doesn't have the good egos like invisibility or something?

Aren't cloaks to armour as hats are to helmets?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, I've set up a properly streamlined script for pulling and building the mac local tiles and do it at least once a day. If anyone's interested, I can put them up on GDrive semi-regularly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Benly posted:

I would appreciate up to date Mac trunk builds now and then if you're up to doing it, I like messing with trunk but webtiles runs pretty slow for me at times.

Here's a sharing link to the gdrive folder. I just built it a few minutes ago so it's got the slug changes. I'll try and remember to upload there regularly, but if I forget, feel free to nudge me.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzRWXAkP6Rk7RzQyT0toMUtWYkE&usp=sharing

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

.. very persuasive Pakellas sell ...

Can you post your file? I want to see how you progressed your build. I've tried Pak a few times and it's awesome, but I think I focused on Evo far too much to the detriment of everything else...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ThermosAquaticus posted:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1408-g69e564c (webtiles) character file.

ThermosAquaticus the Nimble (VSBe)                 Turns: 17265, Time: 01:01:05

Health: 81/81      AC: 41    Str: 25    XL:     15   Next: 34%
Magic:  22/22      EV: 19    Int:  7    God:    Trog [******]
Gold:   1226       SH:  6    Dex: 23    Spells: 0 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis .    a - +6 quick blade (freeze)
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    L - +11 plate armour of Ally {Str+4 Dex+4}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    j - +0 buckler
rPois  .          Spirit   +    S - +2 helmet
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    R - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    l - +0 pair of gloves
SustAt .          Harm     .    M - +1 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    U - amulet of magic regeneration
Stlth  +.........               x - +3 ring of evasion
                                d - +5 ring of protection

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: fangs 3, magic resistance 1, regeneration 3, magic shield, antimagic bite, no
device heal 3, rot immunity
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility
So what do you do with all the xp you get as a VsBe? I'm at the end of lair at the moment.

As above, weapon, armour, fighting, shields, evo, dodging and throwing. Also, why are you wearing an amulet of magic regen as a VsBe^Trog?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Magic Shield. And/or a lack of other options.

Oh, I missed the magic shield...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lately I've been running into lots of hungry ghosts which, given the only real risk in the lab is getting lost and running out of food, is a nice touch. Not that it's a real risk mind you. I like the lab, searching around for the vault, heightens the anticipation of loot. It's certainly my favourite offshoot.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

OK, I've finally managed to get a GrEE running for the second time only. Last time I took the 3 rune win. This time, I'm going to try for at least a few more if not a 15 rune. I know I can finish a 3 runer as is with my current power, but am a bit worried about gaps that will affect me in other rune branches.

So, I have a few questions.

Firstly, I have access to all manner of hides, quicksilver and mottled, or troll being the relevant choices. I also have quite a few enchant armour scrolls. I'm thinking mottled, but wanted some advice before blowing them all.

Secondly, I've already got Shatter running and am working up firestorm. Staff of energy and amulet of gourmand are a great combo by the way. Any spells I absolutely should get before I go into the other branches?

Finally, I'm thinking zot all the way without taking the orb, then slime, abyss, tomb, hells and pan. Is that a good order? Is it worth popping into the zig for a few levels?

Here's the dump. http://pastebin.com/cF0M5ZD9

Thanks in advance!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Geez PF, you've been busy... I'm quite curious about the dynamic between the devs. Every so often one of you seems to go through and do clean ups and general code maintenance. Do you take turns doing this or just go as the whim strikes you?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I don't think I'll ever tire of the Scroll of Immolation followed by shatter in the V5 entrance.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So what's the tactic for when you're in the abyss? Do you kill the enemies in sight and then press O or just run around in away from them? I tried the former and my very powerful GrEE ended up dead in Abyss:3... It seemed like I was there forever but it was only about 4000 turns. Never saw the rune, only saw one exit the whole time.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 5, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BigFactory posted:

They're one of the only monsters that use the spell. It does extra damage to flying things, so if you're flying, stop. But otherwise it doesn't do crazy damage. Or shouldn't at least.

Gastronok is the biggest airstrike bastard, I loving hate him.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Any advice on running a Kiku Deep Elf (other than "don't run a Kiku Deef Elf")? Everywhere I look people are recommending a Necromancer be run as a melee guy, but DE is obviously deficient in that area (or is it?). I guess, how do the good players run a casting centric Ne? By the way, I'm starting as a DEWz each time but picking Kiku and building off his book gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thanks for the replies! I am actually not using the necro start with Kiku, but rather the Wz start and picking Kiku when I find him. I'm okay at getting through the early game (I probably make it to Lair 25% of the time), but once there I'm finding it hard to advance, it just feels much weaker than a Wz->Vehumet or a straight up Cj or FE build.

So, my take on the advice above is 1. don't be afraid of melee, presumably for DE that is short blades and leather/troll armour?, 2. get some important necro spells(regen,agony, etc), but also straight up conj/elemental ones.

So, from the omission of summoner recommendations, am I correct in gathering that going the request corpses/animate dead route is not a good option? (it certainly hasn't worked well for me so far).

Also, does anyone have a DENe or effectively a DE necro win I could look at to learn from? looking at the last tournament combo scores, the best I could find for a DENe was an XL 17 death in Elf, which is admittedly much further than I've ever come...

• Locked thread