Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Overflight posted:

And I am seeking therapy but I usually hold back about this subject. My therapist has a daughter and I don't want to scare her with statements like "your daughter will live a horrible life and likely die a horrible death cursing you bringing her into this world".
It's your therapist's job to worry about your mental well-being, not the other way around.

Overflight posted:

tl;dr If things are so bad WHAT IS THE GODDAMNED POINT IN ANYTHING?
What's the goddamned point of anything anyway? You can live a meaningful life on your own terms no matter what the future holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Ah yes, the final stage of climate denialism: "it's too late, better just watch the world burn"
The stage immediately preceding this is 'climate change can be effectively tackled within our current economic system.'

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Overflight posted:

Is the mere act of existing and not being dead supposed to give me some intrinsic joy?
Not to get too philosophical, but - yes? If your happiness if predicated on something outside of yourself and outside of your control you're always going to be frustrated.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TildeATH posted:

Who wants to gently caress a Climatic Optimum! I'm ready baby and hot for you, especially if you're an Atlantic Conveyer or North Atlantic Oscillation!
I'm El Niño, let's get nasty ;-*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dwesa posted:

There will be a free webinar called 'Fostering a Scientifically Informed Populace' tomorrow
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/643470864952326404
If anybody was interested in this but missed it the video is now online.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This is actually backwards, the best option is always to NOT cheat because doing so fucks over you, everyone else, and generations to come, the mess we're in should be evidence enough of that.
But not for at least a little while. Cheating brings short-term gains and I wants my profits nooowwwwww

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

a whole buncha crows posted:

We have x years to reduce emissions until we are at the point where catastrophic global climate change will be certain.

can we agree on the x value in this thread?
Probably, if you can rigorously define 'catastrophic'. Some level of catastrophe is already certain, but new and exciting levels of even greater catastrophe are still available.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

I dont know how anyone can just keep living knowing that this is happening. Careers look useless to me, hope is a lie, I have almost no friends,never had an SO. I am literally hoping my heart stops or something so that my family doesnt destroy itself with grief over my death.I even tried therapy but just keep getting more "things will work out!" bullshit and all the therapists I tried are mothers so I always hold back on telling them how utterly hosed their children are. What do I do?
Stop letting things over which you have no control dictate your happiness. You never had control over the fate of the planet or the guarantee of a safe future; this is all just making the illusion apparent. Nothing has actually changed and you are still able to live a good life by focusing on doing the best you can with the things that are actually under your control. Live a good life because it matters here and now, not because of how you imagined and hoped history would play out over the next few centuries.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

So I am just supposed to pretend nothing is happening? Form attachments to people who will die horribly or will have to protect? Make a career knowing that it will all turn to dust? I keep hearing about how you're supposed to love the process of what you do but I only ever manage to care about results. Why make something that will not last? Why strive for a brief moment of happiness if it comes with thousands more moments of pain?
Nothing lasts forever. Have a useful career and love the people around you because it's the right thing to do; live a good life for its own sake.

Essentially, the more I look at how events in the world are going and my own (and others') instinctive reactions to them, the more I become convinced that classical Stoicism is one of the only solid rational approaches to it all. Do what you can to make the world a better place but don't allow your happiness to be contingent on the outcome.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ChairMaster posted:

Obviously it is still physically possible to prevent such a thing from happening,
Is it? Clearly there has to be a point at which preventing a particular change is no longer possible even in principle, and that level of change is always going to be "a bit worse than it is now" at minimum.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

US Republicans launch effort to abolish Environmental Protection Agency with new bill

quote:

A bill to “completely abolish” the Environmental Protection Agency has been drafted that would close the main arm of the US Government responsible for fighting climate change by the end of next year.

According to reports, the EPA is facing major budget cuts under the new administration. Its staff have also been ordered not to use official social media accounts or speak to journalists without permission.

But, in his email, Mr Gaetz called for the abolition of the EPA.

“Our small businesses cannot afford to cover the costs associated with compliance, too often leading to closed doors and unemployed Americans,” he said.

“It is time to take back our legislative power from the EPA and abolish it permanently.

“Today, the American people are drowning in rules and regulations promulgated by unelected bureaucrats and the Environmental Protection Agency has become an extraordinary offender.”

The EPA, which was created in 1970 by Republican President Richard Nixon, has a mission to ensure the US “plays a leadership role in working with other nations to protect the global environment” among other goals.

Despite its origins, Mr Gaetz said those on the political right should support his bill.

“As conservatives, we must understand that states and local communities are best positioned to responsibly regulate the environmental assets within their jurisdictions,” he said.

This legislation abolishes the EPA effective December 31, 2018, to allow our state and local government partners to implement responsible policies in the interim.

“I ask for your support in eliminating this abusive and costly agency.”
There are going to be an awful lot of important political fights over the next two years, but I don't think it's unreasonable to make this a particularly high priority.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NASA satellite spots mile-long iceberg breaking off of Antarctic glacier

quote:

A massive, 1-mile-long chunk of ice has broken off Antarctica’s fast-changing Pine Island Glacier, and NASA satellites captured the dramatic event as the icy surface cracked and ripped apart.

The Pine Island Glacier is one of the largest glaciers within the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, accounting for about 20 percent of the ice sheet’s total ice flow to the ocean, according to NASA scientists. The immense glacier is also one of the least stable, and in recent years, the ice sheet has been quickly retreating and losing massive amounts of ice.

Climate change and the warming ocean have been linked to the the retreat and melt of the world’s ice. According to Howat, such “rapid fire” calving is generally unusual for the glacier, but West Antarctic glaciers are eroding due to the flow of warm ocean water beneath them. A recent study found that the warming ocean was melting an ice crevasse of the Pine Island Glacier at the bedrock level, melting the glacier from its center.

These warmer ocean waters are causing the Antarctic ice shelf to break from the inside out. As such, scientists expect further calving along the glacier and have warned that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet could collapse within the next 100 years.

Don't worry, this isn't Larcen C. This is a totally different giant iceberg calving event!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Forever_Peace posted:

The good-governance principle here is "tax the thing you want less of". Ultimately, what we need is for carbon to stay in the ground. So tax the extraction and you're good.
We're in something of a double–bind when it comes to taxing extraction. Firstly, governments are loath to tax it at all because of the obvious lobbying issues. Even if they were to do it, however, the government would likely want to institute them at a level that produces revenue (meaning extraction still occurs); we would need taxes so punitive that extraction ceases altogether. Neither the government nor the extraction industry wants that.

Edit: To be clear, I agree that taxing extraction is the correct approach. It's just unfortunate that none of the players directly involved with making it happen are incentivised to do so.

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Accretionist posted:

So?

Edit: Why must it be all-or-nothing? Are we hurt by seemingly harmless efforts to benefit mitigation and adaptation?
This reminded me of an old news story. There was a minor scandal over a decade ago in the UK where a water company was found to be consistently missing targets for preventing water leakage, and got away without any fines. There was a lot of upset over the fact that this company, surely better placed to prevent water leaks than any residential consumer, was essentially pouring millions of gallons of water down the drain while regular people were being scolded for wasting water by leaving the taps running or filling a kettle more than necessary.

quote:

THAMES WATER LEAKAGE
In millions of litres per day:
2000-01: 688
2001-02: 865
2002-03: 943
2003-04: 946
2004-05: 915
2005-06: 894

We're in a similar situation with regards to energy usage and creation of waste. Should individuals change their behaviour? Of course — and if lots of people do it, it can have a real effect. But the really big wins will come from tackling waste at the top, and until we start seriously going after those wins a lot of people are going to understandably think "why should I bother?"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Carlosologist posted:

so, do other nations pull out of the Paris Agreement because we did?
Probably not:
https://twitter.com/AP/status/869924987779637254

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Burt Buckle posted:

How do you even live in temperatures this high?
You can't. If the wet–bulb temperature rises above ~35°C then sweating makes you warmer instead of colder, and if it stays that hot then you die.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess if you enjoy the process of it, you could get something out of it, but I have always been focused on results.
There are no 'results' to life. It's all just process. Enjoy the journey because the destination is the same for everybody.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The climate mitigation gap: education and government recommendations miss the most effective individual actions

quote:

Current anthropogenic climate change is the result of greenhouse gas accumulation in the atmosphere, which records the aggregation of billions of individual decisions. Here we consider a broad range of individual lifestyle choices and calculate their potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in developed countries, based on 148 scenarios from 39 sources. We recommend four widely applicable high-impact (i.e. low emissions) actions with the potential to contribute to systemic change and substantially reduce annual personal emissions: having one fewer child (an average for developed countries of 58.6 tonnes CO2-equivalent (tCO2e) emission reductions per year), living car-free (2.4 tCO2e saved per year), avoiding airplane travel (1.6 tCO2e saved per roundtrip transatlantic flight) and eating a plant-based diet (0.8 tCO2e saved per year). These actions have much greater potential to reduce emissions than commonly promoted strategies like comprehensive recycling (four times less effective than a plant-based diet) or changing household lightbulbs (eight times less).

A comparison of the emissions reductions from various individual actions. The height of the bar represents the mean of all studies identified in developed nations, while black lines indicate mean values for selected countries or regions (identified by ISO codes) where data were available from specific studies. We have classified actions as high (green), moderate (blue), and low (yellow) impact in terms of greenhouse gas emissions reductions. Note the break in the y-axis.
Thought this was fairly interesting with regards to personal mitigation / lifestyle changes. Having fewer children is an order of magnitude more impactful on carbon emissions than any other single action.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Why does buying green energy in the UK have such a pathetic impact?
From the paper:

quote:

For green energy, researchers have described problems with double-counting in several European countries (Hast et al 2015), as seen in the near-zero emission reductions for Great Britain
The Hast 2015 paper claims that in the UK, buying green energy doesn't actually mean your supplier shifts towards green sources. They just allocate green energy they were producing anyway to your tariff.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sorry for the Graun thinkpiece but this is relevant to the "what can I do?" question the thread keeps coming back to:

Neoliberalism has conned us into fighting climate change as individuals

quote:

Would you advise someone to flap towels in a burning house? To bring a flyswatter to a gunfight? Yet the counsel we hear on climate change could scarcely be more out of sync with the nature of the crisis.

The email in my inbox last week offered thirty suggestions to green my office space: use reusable pens, redecorate with light colours, stop using the elevator.

Back at home, done huffing stairs, I could get on with other options: change my lightbulbs, buy local veggies, purchase eco-appliances, put a solar panel on my roof.

And a study released on Thursday claimed it had figured out the single best way to fight climate change: I could swear off ever having a child.

These pervasive exhortations to individual action — in corporate ads, school textbooks, and the campaigns of mainstream environmental groups, especially in the west — seem as natural as the air we breath. But we could hardly be worse-served.

While we busy ourselves greening our personal lives, fossil fuel corporations are rendering these efforts irrelevant. The breakdown of carbon emissions since 1988? A hundred companies alone are responsible for an astonishing 71 percent. You tinker with those pens or that panel; they go on torching the planet.

The freedom of these corporations to pollute – and the fixation on a feeble lifestyle response – is no accident. It is the result of an ideological war, waged over the last forty years, against the possibility of collective action. Devastatingly successful, it is not too late to reverse it.

The political project of neoliberalism, brought to ascendence by Thatcher and Reagan, has pursued two principal objectives. The first has been to dismantle any barriers to the exercise of unaccountable private power. The second had been to erect them to the exercise of any democratic public will.

Its trademark policies of privatization, deregulation, tax cuts and free trade deals: these have liberated corporations to accumulate enormous profits and treat the atmosphere like a sewage dump, and hamstrung our ability, through the instrument of the state, to plan for our collective welfare.

Anything resembling a collective check on corporate power has become a target of the elite: lobbying and corporate donations, hollowing out democracies, have obstructed green policies and kept fossil fuel subsidies flowing; and the rights of associations like unions, the most effective means for workers to wield power together, have been undercut whenever possible.

At the very moment when climate change demands an unprecedented collective public response, neoliberal ideology stands in the way. Which is why, if we want to bring down emissions fast, we will need to overcome all of its free-market mantras: take railways and utilities and energy grids back into public control; regulate corporations to phase out fossil fuels; and raise taxes to pay for massive investment in climate-ready infrastructure and renewable energy — so that solar panels can go on everyone’s rooftop, not just on those who can afford it.

Neoliberalism has not merely ensured this agenda is politically unrealistic: it has also tried to make it culturally unthinkable. Its celebration of competitive self-interest and hyper-individualism, its stigmatization of compassion and solidarity, has frayed our collective bonds. It has spread, like an insidious anti-social toxin, what Margaret Thatcher preached: “there is no such thing as society.”

Studies show that people who have grown up under this era have indeed become more individualistic and consumerist. Steeped in a culture telling us to think of ourselves as consumers instead of citizens, as self-reliant instead of interdependent, is it any wonder we deal with a systemic issue by turning in droves to ineffectual, individual efforts? We are all Thatcher’s children.

Even before the advent of neoliberalism, the capitalist economy had thrived on people believing that being afflicted by the structural problems of an exploitative system – poverty, joblessness, poor health, lack of fulfillment – was in fact a personal deficiency.

Neoliberalism has taken this internalized self-blame and turbocharged it. It tells you that you should not merely feel guilt and shame if you can’t secure a good job, are deep in debt, and are too stressed or overworked for time with friends. You are now also responsible for bearing the burden of potential ecological collapse.

Of course we need people to consume less and innovate low-carbon alternatives – build sustainable farms, invent battery storages, spread zero-waste methods. But individual choices will most count when the economic system can provide viable, environmental options for everyone—not just an affluent or intrepid few.

If affordable mass transit isn’t available, people will commute with cars. If local organic food is too expensive, they won’t opt out of fossil fuel-intensive super-market chains. If cheap mass produced goods flow endlessly, they will buy and buy and buy. This is the con-job of neoliberalism: to persuade us to address climate change through our pocket-books, rather than through power and politics.

Eco-consumerism may expiate your guilt. But it’s only mass movements that have the power to alter the trajectory of the climate crisis. This requires of us first a resolute mental break from the spell cast by neoliberalism: to stop thinking like individuals.

The good news is that the impulse of humans to come together is inextinguishable – and the collective imagination is already making a political come-back. The climate justice movement is blocking pipelines, forcing the divestment of trillions of dollars, and winning support for 100% clean energy economies in cities and states across the world. New ties are being drawn to Black Lives Matter, immigrant and Indigenous rights, and fights for better wages. On the heels of such movements, political parties seem finally ready to defy neoliberal dogma.

None more so than Jeremy Corbyn, whose Labour Manifesto spelled out a redistributive project to address climate change: by publicly retooling the economy, and insisting that corporate oligarchs no longer run amok. The notion that the rich should pay their fair share to fund this transformation was considered laughable by the political and media class. Millions disagreed. Society, long said to be departed, is now back with a vengeance.

So grow some carrots and jump on a bike: it will make you happier and healthier. But it is time to stop obsessing with how personally green we live – and start collectively taking on corporate power.
Don't beat yourself up if you're still eating beef or driving a car to work. Unless you have enough influence to change the behaviour of hundreds or thousands of people, it doesn't matter. Get involved in organised action. We have an 'effective leftism' thread, which isn't the same thing as climate activism but has a reasonable overlap.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Add 'biologically inspired Greenland melting' to the list of feedback effects not addressed in the most recent IPCC report. It will be interesting to see if they try to include all of these in the next one.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BattleMoose posted:

What is worse, having someone how doesn't believe in climate change and refuses to do anything about it or someone who gets climate change but cannot do anything about it?
The latter. In the first case, the person presumably believes that addressing climate change is unnecessary and will negatively impact the entire country. In the second case the person the person presumably knows how vital it is to both the country and the planet but still prioritises their own self-interest above all else.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Banana Man posted:

Cmon I need some harder poo poo than that
Climate change to cause humid heatwaves that will kill even healthy people

quote:

Extreme heatwaves that kill even healthy people within hours will strike parts of the Indian subcontinent unless global carbon emissions are cut sharply and soon, according to new research.

Even outside of these hotspots, three-quarters of the 1.7bn population – particularly those farming in the Ganges and Indus valleys – will be exposed to a level of humid heat classed as posing “extreme danger” towards the end of the century.

The new analysis assesses the impact of climate change on the deadly combination of heat and humidity, measured as the “wet bulb” temperature (WBT). Once this reaches 35C, the human body cannot cool itself by sweating and even fit people sitting in the shade will die within six hours.

The revelations show the most severe impacts of global warming may strike those nations, such as India, whose carbon emissions are still rising as they lift millions of people out of poverty.

“It presents a dilemma for India between the need to grow economically at a fast pace, consuming fossil fuels, and the need to avoid such potentially lethal impacts,” said Prof Elfatih Eltahir, at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US who led the new study. “To India, global climate change is no longer abstract – it is about how to save potentially vulnerable populations.”

Heatwaves are already a major risk in South Asia, with a severe episode in 2015 leading to 3,500 deaths, and India recorded its hottest ever day in 2016 when the temperature in the city of Phalodi, Rajasthan, hit 51C. Another new study this week linked the impact of climate change to the suicides of nearly 60,000 Indian farmers.

Eltahir said poor farmers are most at risk from future humid heatwaves, but have contributed very little to the emissions that drive climate change. The eastern part of China, another populous region where emissions are rising, is also on track for extreme heatwaves and this risk is currently being examined by the scientists.

Their previous research, published in 2015, showed the Gulf in the Middle East, the heartland of the global oil industry, will also suffer heatwaves beyond the limit of human survival if climate change is unchecked, particularly Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha and coastal cities in Iran.

The new work, published in the journal Science Advances, used carefully selected computer climate models that accurately simulate the past climate of the South Asia to conduct a high resolution analysis of the region, down to 25km.

The scientists found that under a business-as-usual scenario, where carbon emissions are not curbed, 4% of the population would suffer unsurvivable six-hour heatwaves of 35C WBT at least once between 2071-2100. The affected cities include Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh and Patna in Bihar, each currently home to more than two million people.

Vast areas of South Asia – covering 75% of the area’s population – would endure at least one heatwave of 31C WBT. This is already above the level deemed by the US National Weather Service to represent “extreme danger”, with its warning stating: “If you don’t take precautions immediately when conditions are extreme, you may become seriously ill or even die.”

However, if emissions are reduced roughly in line with the global Paris climate change agreement, there would be no 35C WBT heatwaves and the population affected by the 31C WBT events falls to 55%, compared to the 15% exposed today.

The analysis also showed that the dangerous 31C WBT level would be passed once every two years for 30% of the population – more than 500 million people – if climate change is unchecked, but for only 2% of the population if the Paris goals are met. “The problem is very alarming but the intensity of the heatwaves can be reduced considerably if global society takes action,” said Eltahir.

South Asia is particularly at risk from these extreme heatwaves because the annual monsoon brings hot and humid air on to the land. The widespread use of irrigation adds to the risk, because evaporation of the water increases humidity. The projected extremes are higher in the Gulf in the Middle East, but there they mostly occur over the gulf itself, rather than on land as in South Asia.

The limit of survivability, at 35C WBT, was almost reached in Bandar Mahshahr in Iran in July 2015, where 46C heat combined with 50% humidity. “This suggests the threshold may be breached sooner than projected,” said the researchers.

Prof Christoph Schär, a climate scientist at ETH Zurich, Switzerland, and who was not involved in the study, said: “This is a solid piece of work, which will likely shape our perception of future climate change. In my view, the results are of concern and alarming.”

The report demonstrates the urgency of measures to both cut emissions and help people cope better with such heatwaves, he said. There are uncertainties in the modelling – which Schär noted could underestimate or overestimate the impacts – as representing monsoon climates can be difficult and historical data is relatively scarce.

Prof Chris Huntingford, at the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, said: “If given just one word to describe climate change, then ‘unfairness’ would be a good candidate. Raised levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere are expected to cause deadly heatwaves for much of South Asia. Yet many of those living there will have contributed little to climate change.”

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

got any sevens posted:

If he disbelieves in climate change so much just burn his house down and tell him its a temporary heatwave
Just convince him to invest in some exciting new housing developments on the south Florida coast. It's a buyers' market!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

call to action posted:

What's funny is Alaska is now emitting an amount equivalent to a THIRD of ANNUAL commercial domestic carbon emissions... and it's not at ALL accounted for in the IPCC models.
Out of curiosity I had a quick look at the timeline for the IPCC's Sixth Assessment Report; according to this they will be approving the outline for the next report at the start of September. I'm assuming that's when we'll know if impacts such as this will be considered in the next report?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Banana Man posted:

Thanks to everyone who posts really great information to this thread. When and where do you think the turning point was, where this could be all avoided? 1970s?
More action earlier on would always have been better, but Al Gore winning in 2000 would be a pretty clean alternate history inflection point.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

StabbinHobo posted:

one of the biggest red flags someone can give to show they're just a pendant
*eye twitch*

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

E: Wrong thread, oops

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

The IPCC has ignored methane release and feedback mechanisms to such a completely irresponsible degree that I wonder if they know that we're completely hosed and are just doing policymaking as BAU.
I was under the impression that when the scope for AR5 was agreed (2009?) permafrost melting / feedback was less of a concern and less well understood. Is it not going to be included in the next report?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

noyes posted:

goons are weak and selfish jelly men eager to accept any argument, no matter how close it brings them to the void of despair, so long as its hypothesis justifies them continuing to do exactly what they want at the expense of literally everything else on earth
This accurately describes the vast majority of people. Most people have a hard time changing their habits even for specific, personal reasons (like “stop smoking or you’ll get cancer” or “stop eating red meat or you’ll have a heart attack”) so it’s completely unrealistic to expect almost everybody to spontaneously change their habits for vague, impersonal reasons.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BattleMoose posted:

This is exactly my attitude , let him speak to an empty room. But there are other geologists there too, might be something about needing to challenge his ideas.
Your colleagues might think they’re challenging his ideas, he’ll see it as legitimising his ideas.

:downs: “See? I’m part of the debate!”

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If Thug Lessons' comment about submarine CO2 concentration is accurate, then do people returning from lengthy assignments on submarines suffer acidosis?

Edit: Quick Googling found two papers from 1971 looking at submarines with ~0.9% CO2 concentration; one found "no evidence of acidosis during the study and post recovery period" and the other found "evidence suggestive of an existing (??) acidosis". I'm not sure how convinced I am by two papers from the early 70s that appear to have been funded by the military, though.

TACD fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 4, 2018

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the 70s thing may or may not be an issue but it feels like if anything the military funding this would be a point in its favor, they don't want the monkeys in an expensive piece of hardware to be dumb or dead from co2 complications
I suspect they'd rather have a study that justifies not needing to make any expensive submarine alterations, consequences be damned. They don't seem to have a problem with having submarine crews so brain-stupid from chronic lack of sleep that they end up crashing into things, for example.

…in any case, I feel satisfied that of all the problems climate change will cause, "literally suffocating humanity" isn't one (yet) :toot:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

How are u posted:

I just want to live to see Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Phoenix turn into abandoned ghost towns. Gonna be doing a lot of "I told you so"-ing.
Climate change deniers will flip overnight to blaming scientists for not doing enough to warn everybody.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Evil_Greven posted:

Oh hey, 100+ posts since I last checked the thread, what fun new thing has been learned...

....oh it's just several pages of climate children chat.

Well anyway, the Arctic is disintegrating:
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/982104708897693696
These are some really terrible plots, in more ways than one.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

rivetz posted:

Dang they had it all figured out :haw:
The real :psyduck: is that they spent all the time and money to figure this out but then didn't make the simple logical connection that it would therefore be very profitable to invest in renewables and get ahead of the game. What was all this research for if not to get a decade of lead time on smart business decisions?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Here's some straight–talking doom for you on this fine morning :toot:

'We're doomed': Mayer Hillman on the climate reality no one else will dare mention

quote:

“We’re doomed,” says Mayer Hillman with such a beaming smile that it takes a moment for the words to sink in. “The outcome is death, and it’s the end of most life on the planet because we’re so dependent on the burning of fossil fuels. There are no means of reversing the process which is melting the polar ice caps. And very few appear to be prepared to say so.”

Hillman, an 86-year-old social scientist and senior fellow emeritus of the Policy Studies Institute, does say so. His bleak forecast of the consequence of runaway climate change, he says without fanfare, is his “last will and testament”. His last intervention in public life. “I’m not going to write anymore because there’s nothing more that can be said,” he says when I first hear him speak to a stunned audience at the University of East Anglia late last year.

From Malthus to the Millennium Bug, apocalyptic thinking has a poor track record. But when it issues from Hillman, it may be worth paying attention. Over nearly 60 years, his research has used factual data to challenge policymakers’ conventional wisdom. In 1972, he criticised out-of-town shopping centres more than 20 years before the government changed planning rules to stop their spread. In 1980, he recommended halting the closure of branch line railways – only now are some closed lines reopening. In 1984, he proposed energy ratings for houses – finally adopted as government policy in 2007. And, more than 40 years ago, he presciently challenged society’s pursuit of economic growth.

When we meet at his converted coach house in London, his classic Dawes racer still parked hopefully in the hallway (a stroke and a triple heart bypass mean he is – currently – forbidden from cycling), Hillman is anxious we are not side-tracked by his best-known research, which challenged the supremacy of the car.

“With doom ahead, making a case for cycling as the primary mode of transport is almost irrelevant,” he says. “We’ve got to stop burning fossil fuels. So many aspects of life depend on fossil fuels, except for music and love and education and happiness. These things, which hardly use fossil fuels, are what we must focus on.”

While the focus of Hillman’s thinking for the last quarter-century has been on climate change, he is best known for his work on road safety. He spotted the damaging impact of the car on the freedoms and safety of those without one – most significantly, children – decades ago. Some of his policy prescriptions have become commonplace – such as 20mph speed limits – but we’ve failed to curb the car’s crushing of children’s liberty. In 1971, 80% of British seven- and eight-year-old children went to school on their own; today it’s virtually unthinkable that a seven-year-old would walk to school without an adult. As Hillman has pointed out, we’ve removed children from danger rather than removing danger from children – and filled roads with polluting cars on school runs. He calculated that escorting children took 900m adult hours in 1990, costing the economy £20bn each year. It will be even more expensive today.

Our society’s failure to comprehend the true cost of cars has informed Hillman’s view on the difficulty of combatting climate change. But he insists that I must not present his thinking on climate change as “an opinion”. The data is clear; the climate is warming exponentially. The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicts that the world on its current course will warm by 3C by 2100. Recent revised climate modelling suggested a best estimate of 2.8C but scientists struggle to predict the full impact of the feedbacks from future events such as methane being released by the melting of the permafrost.

Hillman is amazed that our thinking rarely stretches beyond 2100. “This is what I find so extraordinary when scientists warn that the temperature could rise to 5C or 8C. What, and stop there? What legacies are we leaving for future generations? In the early 21st century, we did as good as nothing in response to climate change. Our children and grandchildren are going to be extraordinarily critical.”

Global emissions were static in 2016 but the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was confirmed as beyond 400 parts per million, the highest level for at least three million years (when sea levels were up to 20m higher than now). Concentrations can only drop if we emit no carbon dioxide whatsoever, says Hillman. “Even if the world went zero-carbon today that would not save us because we’ve gone past the point of no return.”

Although Hillman has not flown for more than 20 years as part of a personal commitment to reducing carbon emissions, he is now scornful of individual action which he describes as “as good as futile”. By the same logic, says Hillman, national action is also irrelevant “because Britain’s contribution is minute. Even if the government were to go to zero carbon it would make almost no difference.”

Instead, says Hillman, the world’s population must globally move to zero emissions across agriculture, air travel, shipping, heating homes – every aspect of our economy – and reduce our human population too. Can it be done without a collapse of civilisation? “I don’t think so,” says Hillman. “Can you see everyone in a democracy volunteering to give up flying? Can you see the majority of the population becoming vegan? Can you see the majority agreeing to restrict the size of their families?”

Hillman doubts that human ingenuity can find a fix and says there is no evidence that greenhouse gases can be safely buried. But if we adapt to a future with less – focusing on Hillman’s love and music – it might be good for us. “And who is ‘we’?” asks Hillman with a typically impish smile. “Wealthy people will be better able to adapt but the world’s population will head to regions of the planet such as northern Europe which will be temporarily spared the extreme effects of climate change. How are these regions going to respond? We see it now. Migrants will be prevented from arriving. We will let them drown.”

A small band of artists and writers, such as Paul Kingsnorth’s Dark Mountain project, have embraced the idea that “civilisation” will soon end in environmental catastrophe but only a few scientists – usually working beyond the patronage of funding bodies, and nearing the end of their own lives – have suggested as much. Is Hillman’s view a consequence of old age, and ill health? “I was saying these sorts of things 30 years ago when I was hale and hearty,” he says.

Hillman accuses all kinds of leaders – from religious leaders to scientists to politicians – of failing to honestly discuss what we must do to move to zero-carbon emissions. “I don’t think they can because society isn’t organised to enable them to do so. Political parties’ focus is on jobs and GDP, depending on the burning of fossil fuels.”

Without hope, goes the truism, we will give up. And yet optimism about the future is wishful thinking, says Hillman. He believes that accepting that our civilisation is doomed could make humanity rather like an individual who recognises he is terminally ill. Such people rarely go on a disastrous binge; instead, they do all they can to prolong their lives.

Can civilisation prolong its life until the end of this century? “It depends on what we are prepared to do.” He fears it will be a long time before we take proportionate action to stop climatic calamity. “Standing in the way is capitalism. Can you imagine the global airline industry being dismantled when hundreds of new runways are being built right now all over the world? It’s almost as if we’re deliberately attempting to defy nature. We’re doing the reverse of what we should be doing, with everybody’s silent acquiescence, and nobody’s batting an eyelid.”
Can't say I disagree with him.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Thug Lessons posted:

When someone is making statements like that it's a good clue they're not worth listening to on climate.
Hillman is a social scientist so sure, let's not lean too much on a one-line, probably hyperbolic statement that's outside of his field of expertise.

But I do think he's right to point out, for example, that it's not healthy for climate researchers to treat 2100 as if it's the end of history, especially since a lack of long-term thinking is pretty foundational to this whole mess.

He's right that individual contributions are meaningless, which is the source of much angst in this thread and elsewhere. And he's right that political leaders have never been honest about what needs to happen to seriously reduce emissions, either on a national or individual level.

None of the entities large enough to really make a difference are actually doing anything. There's lots of individuals and groups moving in the right direction but the science has been pretty clear for a while that we need massive, paradigm–shifting changes in how things are run and that just isn't happening.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I almost never fly but I'm probably going to start doing it more because the utterly absurd rail fares in the UK mean that when I visit my parents it's actually cheaper for me to travel to a neighbouring city with an airport and take a plane :toot:

Domestic flights within the UK are a totally insane idea since our country is so tiny but the government seems pretty loving determined to push that incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ughhhh posted:

the knowledge that my community and my family will face consequences that are out of our hands is not something that I can just wave away.
We all face consequences that are out of our hands every day. Climate change hasn't made that true, it's just made you realise it.

Here is a comic which I feel sums up much of the climate change thread: