Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

It was legit crazy. 51cm in one night:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I did a 1.5 hour commute each way for a few months. It takes its toll mentally and physically on a person and I cant imagine having to do it for much longer than I did without needing a massive pay raise to move closer. An hour is still way too drat long to commute for what amounts to a net zero or loss when you factor in the drastic rise in housing costs as you move closer to the giant city cores.

Counterpoint: I bicycled 2 hours each way from Köln to Dusseldorf every work day. Not possible for everyone, but it wasn't mentally draining in any way, and I saved on gym membership.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 14, 2017

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

This is really not realistic. I've done a 36mi commute by bike and it takes so much time, showering, and energy that you end up with no time in your day to do anything else.

I believe you that you could not handle it, but I quite enjoyed it. Your blanket statement of "realism" is the definition of subjective.

I do not sweat much, and by virtue of being a game developer do not face our customers so shorts and t-shirts was A-ok. Additionally many EU nations require companies of over a certain size to have showers on site. It was literally zero problems *for me*

I even included the caveat it won't work for everyone, but it sure as hell would work for more people than are currently doing it, just as buses/trains, bikes for shorter trips, and a myriad of other small efforts could be pursued that in aggregate would drastically reduce pollution while improving fitness and reducing financial drain on healthcare systems. Literally every time I hear an (almost always american) person argue about how bikes/buses/trains would never work, I see someone in that exact situation making it work the same day here in Iceland or when I lived in Germany.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Star Man posted:

I can't think of a single job in the world that's worth spending a four-hour round trip to get to by any means of transportation. I'd rather just live close to it.

oh I didn't need the job, I already had well paying remote freelance, I could easily have worked from my house in my underwear. I personally am very social, like feeling that I contribute more to the game than just my 3d assets, and have always enjoyed long distance biking, foregoing a license stateside til 21 (practically unheard of for those with the means to get one).

Am I relatively rare in this case? sure, but my point was that we could get a lot more people pursuing better environmental options with better bike paths, electric vehicle incentives, city planning, trax credits, etc.

All I'm saying, is that there is a big gulf between "everyone is forced to unicycle by gunpoint for transportation* and *how americans use cars*

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

That's certainly what Toyohiko Kagawa claimed, and he's the whole basis for permaculture in the first place. I haven't encountered a single purveyor of permaculture as a replacement for the industrial food system that doesn't claim it's a low-input, high-output system. In reality is a low-input, low-output system which is great for gardening in your spare time but horrible for feeding the world, which is why permies garden and build rocket furnaces rather than producing food for sale.

I am getting more and more interested in permaculture here in Iceland, follow the workshops and nascent movement here, and have *never* once heard it described like your strawman.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

the old ceremony posted:

have any of you planted a single tree yet

8+

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

For real, though, home/office CO2 scrubbers are going to be a thing within our lives unless there are drastic changes. Wealthy homes will probably start getting them long before it's necessary once the threat enters the public consciousness and people with too much money start worrying about their kids. I bet it ends up being a perk at higher end professional workplaces and stores/restaurants too.

This is going to sound really naive, but....

Would having a house full of green things growing everywhere have a similar air cleaning effect?

*edit* seems at least partially yes? https://phys.org/news/2013-07-air-hidden-indoor.html

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 1, 2017

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I have a question about something I do not understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/11/critical-gulf-stream-current-weakest-for-1600-years-research-finds

The above article implies that Iceland will get much colder.

May'sPRfirm posted:

When it weakens, a large area of ocean around Iceland cools, as less warm water is brought north, and the waters off the east coast of the US get warmer.

https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/966119046188957696/photo/1

This image of a 4C 2100 implies Iceland will be one of the few habitable places left.

The two concepts seem contradictory? Can someone explain what I'm missing?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

well for starters the first one is a relatively high quality news outlet quoting both scientists and studies, the second one appears to be from hashtag connectography (?) and retweeted by a investing podcast host. if this is a tough call for you... well then that's a perfect example of how hopeless things are.

short answer: the first is about ocean currents, the second is naive temperature-band shifting.

that's just who's relinking it, the source is "New Scientist" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Scientist

[https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126971-700-how-to-survive-the-coming-century/ (found the original, but yes I get your point that this one is waaaay less sourced than the first)

What would be the most likely 10, 30, and 60 year scenarios for Iceland in terms of temperature change according to current research? Is it going to get hellishly cold from the collapse of AMOC, or will it be a few degrees warmer, but with wider swings in extremes? Or first the former then later the latter?

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 12, 2018

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

I can't see anything at that link but there is no way that map could be of 2100. It has the West Antarctic Ice Sheet completely gone and replaced with "densely-populated high rises".

I'd prefer answers from sane posters, thanks.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

I see Thug Lessons getting poo poo on a lot itt and from going back and reading his posts I don't really understand why that's necessary. I mean, I hardly agree with everything he's saying but a good portion of the posts are well reasoned and to my reading a good starting point for debate if anyone wants to disagree from an informed perspective. I enjoy reading informed rebuttals of his views, and while I'm significantly more concerned than he appears to be some of the things he posts are not incorrect.

Or have I just lost my mind or something? What am I missing?

For me it's because he is the epitome of the neoliberal centrist brigade. Paying lip service to the idea of climate change, but naysaying any possible legitimate route through this mess because he (and OOCC) don't like the sound of those policies, and substitute wishful thinking in order to present the concept that we can both survive the upcoming climate-pocolypse while sacrificing virtually nothing about modern western living/consumption.

In short, he and OOCC are the equivalent of "white moderates" from MLK's letter from the Birmingham jail, ie the real problem demographic to progress. (in this analogy the KKK = climate change denialist, at least you know they are never gonna come around)

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 12, 2018

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, I sorta get what you're getting at, but it seems like the opposite of relevant to the post in question. A map that says large parts of Antarctica will be densely populated within the next 100 years is the kind of hyper optimistic scenario that you seem to be railing against otherwise, and Thug Lessons was pointing out that this didn't seem realistic at all. That's an entirely valid critique of the map, why reject it solely based on your dislike of the dude who posted it? (Unless his objection was the WAIS melting, and not the subsequent settling.)

I'm not married to that map, I was asking a question and the answer: "it's unsupported pop-sci garbage from 2009" is apparently the answer, and I'm grateful for the help.

I'm curious about what is likely to happen in Iceland in the coming decades and I just don't consider anything the two resident hand waving neoliberals post is worth the bother. I'd much rather listen to the other posters in this thread before those two, because I just don't think they have anything substantial to offer because of their ideological blindspots.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

People with an overly rosy view of our future might be fooling themselves and those listening them, but I cannot accept that they're "the real problem demographic" preventing progress on climate change. There's a lot of polling data on this issue and it's pretty clear which demographics are holding up progress, it's the ones who don't accept the science, and vote for explicitly reactionary politicians who campaign on repealing environmental regulations while expanding fossil fuel usage. Against that insane backdrop I don't understand the need to direct vitriol against anyone who accepts the basic science of climate change. We need to treat climate change mitigation as an ecumenical matter.

Much the same way that SCOTUS didn't need to wait (nor should they have) to force desegregation over the protests of racists, the only realistic way to avoid global collapse is to figure a way to just ignore and forcible go over the heads of deniers. There is no route where we all sit down in a circle, sing kumbaya, and all the mutants have a change of heart. The deniers are here to stay. We can include them and go extinct, or force fixes over their protests somehow.

People like Thug and OOCC like to pretend that not only are no sacrifices needed, but also there is a route to reach deniers and bring them around to some tweak solution (that will magically work in their minds). They are the demo that gives voice to the lie that we have time to come to a consensus and survive. It's a fantasy.

Either there is some type of radical solution that involves ignoring the petulant children who still deny climate change in 2018, or we're gonna end.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 13, 2018

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I don't get the "change their lifestyles = get poorer" thing.

Some people derive their life meaning through endless consumption. Any stop to it represents a "less full filling life" = poor people cannot endlessly consume, thus....

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I'm not even sure what "hatred and ignorance" is supposed to mean in this context, disagreeing with the extent (not need for action) of climate change using scientific estimates?

Yours is a poor summary of their arguments. This is more accurate:

Realists: Here are the trends, the science, and how likely various responses will address the problem in time. Some possible routes would look like this:

Traitors: No none of those will work.

It's not disagreeing on extents, it's some posters showing what kind of actions could conceivably make a change, and then the trolls poo-pooing every idea out of an aversion to the ramifications on their personal lifestyles. They don't disagree on "extent" they disagree anything needs doing at all other than waiting for a moon-shot magic solution.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

call to action posted:

I was gonna get mad at this post but then I realized a post this stupid couldn't be made in earnest, like there can't actually be climate deniers that don't even understand the basic physics of how heat transfer works

Additionally you can tell they are too slow to even keep reading to where it actually traces out real world times that temperatures "this low" have already been proven to kill over 30,000 people in the EU heat wave of 2003:

https://www.unisdr.org/files/1145_ewheatwave.en.pdf

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

"Sure the whole world is going to burn, but at least I won't be told I can't do anything I want"

100%

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Could you grow coffee in greenhouses?

Yes, but it's poo poo. The agriculture University of Iceland has a coffee tree and they get just enough beans each year to have icelandic grown coffee at their yearly party. A coffee shop owner I know snagged an invite one year and said while it was exciting to try locally grown, it was very bad in taste.

Luckily dandelion roots can be roasted and brewed for a pseudo substitute (caffeine would have to be added tho)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Side question. Is bringing up posters that participate in this thread, their posts in other sub-forums allowed if it's germane or ads information to how they are discussing climate change? Or is that considered inter-forum drama or otherwise frowned upon?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Paid denier shills will find themselves attacked by mobs if this goes the way I think it will.

Can you unpack what you mean by that? I think I get it but not sure if you have a more specific example in mind.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Orions Lord posted:

I grow grapes they are fully covering my south side of the house, also covering up the windows of the bedrooms.
When it gets colder I just prune it the so the windows are uncovered again.

Also the big leaves take away the heat so the heat won't stay inside the bricks (more or less).

Also nice that the kids can eat grapes just opening there bedroom windows.

I planted about fruit 20 trees just to get shades and fruit.

Owns, thanks for sharing.

I built a 35 square meter sun room so my kid can enjoy being outside and playing in the dirt even though we live in Iceland where the cold and increasing wet (worst summer in 100 years). We planted a grape vine and it has some grapes forming but they might not finish before summer is over. 😒 Same story with my fig tree

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

I agree with the cat guy that there's no point in moralizing the problem at an individual level

That's a straw man he invented to make the rest of the thread sound silly. He's the only one who's been talking about it.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

gently caress you! i'll get mine! if i just have a big enough yard, maybe with some trees and poo poo... that'll... i dunno somehow solve something!

<dies of a basic infection because his truck gets stuck in the mud halfway through the 18 hour drive to the nearest hospital>

As someone who is doing basically this (but I bought some fish moxxy after hearing about that PR guy who died from a finger cut infection) it's less that I think it will "solve" something, and more that it gives me a sense of purpose, a slight feeling of control, and something to do between elections and IPCC reports.

The only realistic way to survive is if enough people come together and basically drag the Exxon board out of their skyrise and start dismantling pollution sources brick by brick yesterday. That isn't happening. I keep having the conversations, keep voting for politicians with plans for the environment, keep trying to do my part (biking to work, our one vehicle is electric, only one child, recycling, etc) but I know these individual actions are not even close to enough.

Having a big plot of land, building and planning a rainwater catchment or windmill for power is fun, mentally stimulating, building up my carpentry, plumbing, and electrical skills, plus gives me more residential space to help friends or family as poo poo gets worse. The actual difference it will make come 2030 might be non existent, but until then it's something I can directly *do* each day. It also shows all those in my life who I'm telling "poo poo is going to get hellscape and soon" physical proof that I believe what I say when I spend almost every waking moment of my energy preparing for the reality they don't want to believe is happening. I can't make a person believe that the time for action is *right now* but I *can* build a potato cellar for cold storage without electricity with the frustration energy from how indignant those conversations always go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Mozi posted:

I’m glad that would make you feel better and it may well be therapeutic but many of us will not be fundamentally cheered by actions that have 0 effect on the eventual outcome, which is true of the examples you cite.

It isn't fulfilling because it makes a definite difference in climate change resiliency (though some might), it's fulfilling because creating things and viewing measurable progress is a fundamentally fulfilling endeavour.

I know building and creating is one of the few things keeping me going these days. If all I did was consume I'd be even more of a sad sack.