Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finally got a chance to see the second trailer and this movie still does not look good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'd have no problem with it being orcs and humans if they made it have the style and tone of the better old games and not being super serious with the look of world of warcraft.

I think you have it in reverse. Warcraft II had a cutscene with bodies hanging from a tree and then being set on fire. Warcraft III had a mission where you have to set a whole town on fire with people trapped in the buildings. The games had a cartoony aesthetic but still a serious tone throughout. World of Warcraft has no such serious tone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is that Iron Forge or Stormwind? I know the interior of Iron Forge was shown in the concept art for this movie and I wonder if it made it in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

listen to the intro to any loving orc mission in wc2.

Hahahaha okay I see your point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Ky4gpY4uQ I don't remember this at all, its been so long.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Part of the issue with this movie is that the CG characters are made in the Warcraft aesthetic, which is deliberately cartoonish, and yet they used live action humans. The result is not impressive.

Some of the human actors look like they have no idea what they are looking at because the whole set was most likely a green screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

If nothing else, the movie might give us some good SMG posts. Either because he will find some thematic value in the "real" humans looking lost among all that cartoony stuff, or because the movie is a dumpster fire based on the nerdiest source. Possibly both.

More screen caps with lines on them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blizzard should bring back Warcraft Adventures and hand it off to TellTale Games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The orcs in Warcraft could be a stereotype of any sort of pre-civilization human tribe anywhere in the world that use to exist. Orcs are actually more in line with pre-civilization European tribes. A lot of their lore has obvious ancient Germanic religion inspiration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In Warcraft, demons are aliens.

Actually, the Draenei are the aliens in WoW lore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does "same world just another dimension" mean? The orcs had already been established as coming from another world than humans by the time Warcraft 3 came out.

It was established in Warcraft I.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Technically the orcs entering Azeroth makes them aliens. Not commenting on the other races in Warcraft lore, don't feel like going there right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

He wants them to be monsters from outer space instead of monsters from hell. Weird but we don't really need to argue about whether or not he thinks that's cool.

I apologize in advance if i've lost the conversation here, i'm just sticking to what I know from the games that is being copied over to the movie or seems to be anyways. The orcs live on a world that was pretty nice but it was destroyed by some meanies. There's actually two version though, that's like the WoW version I think? In Warcraft I the humans go through this portal to the orcs world, they don't understand the orcs and decide to wipe out a small village of them, causing the orcs to come through to Azeroth for revenge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Huh I didn't realize they were retconning as early as Warcraft II. In that one the orcs came from a dead red world and massacred the other people, the draenei, and Gul'dan worked to open the portal to Azeroth to give them something else to conquer.

That's how I remember the story from the manuals... reading them when I was a child. So I could be very wrong about all of this. :/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IanTheM posted:

In modern Hollywood IP is more important than quality. This movie will make money, anything that has some sort of recognizable brand will make money. Anyway, Blizzard essentially only has 3 IPs, this movie will strengthen Warcraft's IP, and there will definitely be future Warcraft games.

I don't think this film is guaranteed to make money. From everything I have seen so far I think Warcraft is going to bomb.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Two more posters.

If these posters didn't say Warcraft on them then I would not know what this was.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just got done seeing this movie. If you don't already like Warcraft, if you're not familiar with the lore and world, then don't bother seeing this movie. You will absolutely not like it. Warcraft fans will enjoy it though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the orcs, that was about it. The movie really brought them to life and made them look intimidating and powerful. If there is a sequel then I hope we get to see more of the dwarfs and elfs, also I hope trolls are in there. To be honest though I would rather there just not be anything Warcraft related anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If there is a sequel, I hope it is about stopping gold farmers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

This is making me really glad I skipped the Hobbit films. They must have been a dire slog, considering that people seem to like this better than them.

An Unexpected Journey is actually pretty good. Desolation of Smaug is terrible though with it's stupid as hell Scooby Doo chase scene with Smaug. Battle of the Five Armies is okay. The Hobbit trilogy just doesn't hold a candle to the Lord of the Rings trilogy though, doesn't even come close. When the movies are actually honest to god faithful to the book then it's really good. The lowest points are when it deviates from that. Also the movies are missing all of the songs from the book and Peter Jackson should be thrown into prison for that. If the Hobbit was truly faithful then it would have been a three hour musical.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I'm pretty sure Dalaran didn't start flying until WotLK which is like 30 years after the movie iirc

No, Dalaran was a floating city during Vanilla WoW. One of the first zones where Horde and Alliance players start to meet each other during gameplay has the crater where the city use to be. Although I swear to god it was destroyed in Warcraft 3 and WoW retcons this fact.

[edit]
Someone else already explained it up above. The whole thing is weird. WoW for the most part ignores the RTS games.

If I was going to make a Warcraft movie then it would have been about the rise and fall of Arthas. That was the best storyline in Warcraft 3.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 17, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

No, it was definitely a big purple dome surrounded by ruins in vanilla. They changed it to a crater in wrath for "consistency" but the surrounding storyline didn't really change to acknowledge that in any way.

Oooh okay, that makes more sense. The way I remember it was that in Vanilla, Dalaran was in the world but had left its original location to be some gently caress off city in the clouds and left behind this crater that you could visit, but visiting the actual city wouldn't be available for a couple expansion packs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fooz posted:

Didn't they cut like 45 minutes at the last second?

It feels like a lot was cut in order to meet the arbitrary 2 hour mark.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's actually not said that Ganora is half human. Just that she is half orc. It's strongly implied that she is half human though and we will have to wait for the sequels to cover this. Being that this is Warcraft though I fully expect the next film to retcon everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

no i mean they wouldn't be able to interbreed.

This is a high fantasy universe, everyone's dick is compatible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't give a poo poo until we get a movie about the Lich King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RedSpider posted:

I still can't believe how bad Duncan Jones hosed this up.

I don't think Duncan Jones hosed up at all, Warcraft is legit a really good movie. I don't expect a sequel will happen though and that makes me sad.

• Locked thread