Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

Turns out he's obsessed with famous pop singer Hikaru Utada and is convinced that she's trying to communicate with him through secret codes hidden in her Twitter and Instagram posts. Among other things, he uploaded no less than 12 albums to Facebook containing screenshots of her everyday normal Tweets and Instagram pics and his wall of text responses (inexplicably always in English or French despite both of them being Japanese)

She's actually American, born and raised in New York, and by all accounts is far more fluent in English than Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

Few pages back, but ok. Her Japanese is native level, she lives in Japan and the vast majority of her fans are Japanese. The tweets he's responding to are also all in Japanese.

(I really shouldn't keep on being so pedantic but) actually she lives in North London.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

tyblazitar posted:

It's almost hard to believe the same guy wrote Black Books, I wonder if he just went full bigot after that or what.

Black Books - like Father Ted and all the shows that Lineham worked on that aren't loving offensive - had him working on a partner. I can only assume that he's given into his worst impulses since he went solo.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ularg posted:

Lol by satisfy they mean their boners I get it.

Any company that announces they're jettisoning their current profitable customer base (no matter how dumb you think that base is) for a potential new base is making a dumb decision. Namco decided to abandon their existing customer base for the fighting tournament base with Soul Calibur 5 (kept in the sexy outfits, removed all the single player content) and that killed the series for 6 or 7 years and even then their "back to basics" follow up hasn't enthused their old fan base yet.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine the intersection between sexual abuse and nerd culture is going to be a rich vein of horrible human beings.

https://twitter.com/desdemona31/status/1007546082052706304

Chloe Dykstra was pretty rude and exploitative of her friends on the way to becoming famous but no one deserves that level of abuse just for being a bit of a oval office.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is it even necessary to say this? "this is horrible and all but did you know that she was a bitch? makes u think"

Like it makes you look petty and misogynistic. A dude was monstrously abusive to a woman and you have to go "I'm not saying she deserves it, but". This is the "I'm not racist, but" of talking about abusive relationships.

Shockingly enough when someone was pretty awful to people you know online gets a comeuppance it feels good for a bit but then you realise how awful that is. Had a similar thing for the very very earliest part of gamergate and god knows what a dreadful vile cesspool that was.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Did Adams have a head injury at some point, or was he always a poo poo and we just didn't know before social media?

He snapped in the late 90s after the Dilberito (a Dilbert branded vegan burrito) bombed

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

I vaguely remember a skit that was literally this (Kids in the Hall maybe?) A priest or something only saw renaissance statues of nude women and assumed they had no pubic hair, then got married and couldn't go through with loving her because she had hair.

There's a famous story about the art critic John Ruskin - apparently when he got married he couldn't consummate the marriage as the fact his wife had pubic hair was a surprise that turned him off.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

there wolf posted:

Realistically, it's a lot of sugar with almost no other nutritional value.

For the Peterson family, well, people are going to tell you it's because they only eat meat but

Meat cake is totally a thing. Really it's because birthday cakes take forethought and consideration for another person, which the Peterson's are also opposed to.

Several pages ago I know but that's not a meat cake - it's just a platter of not-yet-cooked meat at a korean bbq.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MizPiz posted:

The guy who was literally too genocidal for the Trump administration is actually a secret good guy

https://twitter.com/AndreiCherny/status/1183952099459112960?s=19

If I understand the reference correctly (I've not actually read the harry potter books because I was old enough I wasn't a literal child when they came out) he's saying that John Bolton wants to gently caress the poo poo out of Melania Trump.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

T-man posted:

there should be an age maximum and a coolness minimum for posting on the internet

sure we'll lose a few good posters but we won't get loving finger waggle emoji for gently caress's sake

Priti Patel is fairly young - she's just trying to ban "incivility" from the internet because she doesn't like it when people point out that she's a sociopath that has voted for the deaths of tens of thousands to make some money for her friends (also that she's a government minister in the pay of one foreign government and with family running a different government in an amazingly corrupt way)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, on old immigration forms you couldn't get a permanent visa if you were ever a communist, but you were only forbidden entry if you were a Nazi between the years 1939 and 1945.

They still ask the Nazi question when you make an ESTA application

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Outside of the general dings some people have against most gaming journalism outlets ('bad at games', lingering gamergate chuds, bias either real or perceived, some people just REALLY getting an axe to grind about their favorite genres/series, so on and so forth), Kotaku was the first to go pretty big on non-gaming subjects, doing a lot on Japanese culture and cosplay. So there's still people that get mad that they're Not Real Gamers for that, despite them doing fantastic gaming journalism and other outlets following suit because it turns out diversifying their subject matter worked really well.

I'm not sure I would describe articles about how great lolicon is, with illustrations, is "fantastic gaming journalism", do you work for Kotaku yourself?
Also everything that Brian Ashcraft ever wrote about Japan (does he still work there? I have no idea) is wrong, which is infuriating when people take his words as accurate

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Anora posted:

Also doctor offices aren't going to buy hand sanitizer at the same places consumers are.

In the same way that consumers panic-buying masks isn't going to affect medical professionals?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

T-man is factually wrong for once, we're mostly in our fourth

90s 00s 10s 20s

You're wrong because technically 2020 is year 10 of the 2010s. I bet you're one of those barbarians who celebrated the new millennium on the 1st of January 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Because I didn't know and people were all 'just loving google it, I'm not your search engine' I looked it up and the first results seemed to be the International Journal of Transgenderism which has now changed it's name to International Journal of Transgender Health this year. So presumably it became a bad terfy term in the last 3 months that we should all know about.

Does the existence of the UNCF mean that calling calling black people "Negroes" is fine? Obviously the word only became bad in the last 3 months, we shouldn't be expected to know.