Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Applied to join GOONS. I just started, though, so if you're prioritizing people with higher tier ships that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I need to play more like a scout (duh) and less like a torpedo and cannon armed berserker.

Are you saying I've been doing it wrong this whole time?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

We just did 7 vs 10 against dark judge. It went about as you'd expect.

One day we'll kill one of them.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Fleet Battles are 9pm to 11pm Eastern on Tuesdays and Fridays, right?

I'll never be able to make those, I work until 11pm. :saddowns: If this ends up being an issue and we need the fleet slot for a fleet battles player, let me know, I'll step aside.

I guess one of the guys who actually runs things in the fleet can confirm, but I seriously doubt that will be an issue. Fleets are 15 people at most, in the higher levels. The low levels that everyone actually plays are limited to ten. I don't think we're going to need more space.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Griz posted:

the points go into a global pool which you then spend on individual guys through some button in the barracks screen. it tells you how many points it costs to promote someone but I haven't seen anywhere that shows the relationship between stars and the excellent/elite/whatever levels in the text descriptions.

If you go to the promotion screen and click the little eye button after dragging a commander into the slot to be promoted, it brings up a window showing that commander at any star level. It's useful for seeing how skill change when you go from four stars to five, though the change is so small I doubt I'd ever do it except with a commander I know I'm going to use on almost everything.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Even at full speed my Mogami 35 has a band where it can see BBs and not be seen, but it's very thin. It's also very dependent on speed- one of the flaws I think we have vis a vis tryhard clans is going full speed ahead at all times and this is actually a significant debuff to your stealth rating. I think disguise is actually really important and probably moreso than spotting range.

I did not know any of this, and you're right. It explains a LOT about our matches against Dark Judge.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

I got two questions now:

What days are all the events again? I forget every week.

Fleet battles are tonight! (Tuesdays and Saturdays)

Everyone should show up. We've been very close the last couple times to being able to field two teams at once.

The level we're playing at need T3 destroyers and T4 battleships (Fubukis and Wyomings are preferred but not mandatory), so even fairly new players can contribute. Don't worry about how good you are, either - we're not tryhards like Dark Judge. Show up, shoot botes, have a good time.

Also, nice av, Groggy.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Get in fleet battle!

We might even get lucky and fight the Confederate navy tonight!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Its me, I'm that guy.

Alright, Who offered to buy it with me? We need to be Surcouf buddies tonight.

I'm off to go troll destroyers, will post trip report.

Welp. Luckily I have some gift cards leftover from Christmas, so I'm not actually spending 50 dollars on a sub.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

One thing that may have been obvious to some of you:

If you're shooting at a DD, use HE!

I never used to bother, because I figured it was too much hassle for too little gain. I was wrong. I started using it in 5v5s last night, and it made a very noticeable difference in how quickly I was killing DDs in a New Orleans.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Quickload Nazi is always a good idea and he did terrible things to that poor, helpless Atlanta I used him against.

Really, you can fill in anything for "Atlanta" and it's still true. Quickload Nazi is the best.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

Tier 6 is slowly getting better but it still sucks if you don't play in a platoon. You don't even wanna know what tier 8 is like.

I get a lot of 3v3s in my Surcouf.

I regret nothing.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Of of loving COURSE the surcouf goes on sale now that I have one.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

1) gently caress pubbies. I'm not good enough to carry that hard.

2) Especially gently caress pubbies who claim I'm not doing anything, and that's the only reason I'm not dead.

3) But really, especially gently caress anyone from the Confederate clan. Though they did react pretty funny when I complimented them on their historical accuracy. See, they died without accomplishing anything, just like the real confederate navy. (Also, I laughed my rear end off when one actually answered to "Hey racist confederate guy" in global chat)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

You mean we finally have a carrier counter strat?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Used HE until I ran out of ammo. For the life of me I don't understand how that Hatsuharu got more exp than I did considering I was 7/0 and did 1000 more damage than him.

It's all about the spotting xp. He was probably the one lighting up most of what you killed.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

:byodood: STOP SHOOTING WHEN HE GETS TO 500 HEALTH I WANT TO RAM HIM!

*12 Goons playing bumper cars in their botes trying to get the privilege of ramming the Indy*

Uh, it's under 90 health. You've got to get it right, or the carrier doesn't take enough damage to die. (And the destroyer does.)

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Early fleet battles started! Get in game if you have a T4 Battleship or T3 destroyer!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Doesn't seem to be anyone there or in mumble.

Yeah, I tried, but it looks like there aren't enough people around today. We'll hit it later tonight instead.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

dpidz0r posted:

Here's the full video of the bit where we started trying to ram him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5gC7NZy9Q

Glorious.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

Double post but after looking at the X BBs I see why they didn't go with the Montana; they'd have to nerf the guns compared to the Iowa considerably to account for that entire extra turret. If they stayed the same and you just added 3 more guns it'd do like 4000 more damage a shot than either of the other two.

That would explain things, yeah. What's your choice for best tier X BB? I'm indecisive on whether I should grind up the Japanese line or the American line.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We need at least one more goon for fleet battles!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We need at least one more goon for fleet battles!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I don't remember any Cessna, but a bunch of us were trolling the CSS guys the other night. He might have been one of them?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Danann posted:

I forgot that today was when they give out Fleet Battle rewards. When do they give out the rewards for 5v5 battles again?

Today is also when they have fleet battles! Sign on if you're available, we've had trouble getting a team the last few weeks and need everyone we can get!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We need at least one more for fleet battles.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

It's fleet battle time again! Bring your tier IVs!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Don't forget, fleet battles in an hour! Show up and laugh as 6 Wyomings converge on a helpless Independence!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Also if the shares of the 50,000,000 gold are proportional and only 1000 players do it WE ALL GET FREE SURCOUFS

My dream goon team will finally happen!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

El_Molestadore posted:

I took a break but I'm gonna hop on this weekend to check out the patch :) How is tier 7+ MM in general now? Got a bit tired of 3v3 shitfests when I tried to play my Kagero.

Tier 7 is a bit more populated, but Tier 8 is still 3v3s a lot. Just let me know if I'm on and you want to squad up, it helps and I enjoy playing my Baltimore.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Well yeah. I can always pop Quickload and sandblast them down with weight of fire. It's just frustrating that only 1 out of 9 are getting through.

You can improve that with a bit of luck and careful aim - try to hit the BB right at the bow or stern, where there's open deck with no armored turrets.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

It's especially easy to do against Germans. Lots of open deck real-estate on their fat piece of poo poo botes like the Tirpitz and Bismarck.

Yeah. Japan isn't hard either. Americans are the toughest, because they're fast and relatively small targets.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

We only need one more person to do early fleet battles, so get your botes out!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I've started to feel like CAs are actually superior to BBs. It might just be a matter of personal preference, but it feels like their ability to accurately kill small craft that get lit up combined with their higher accuracy and reasonable ability to blast BBs through their decks makes them more flexible in just about the same role, plus if you do get spotted, the higher speed and better maneuverability will let you smoke and reset the engagement more easily than a BB.

The boat I have the highest win rate in (with any decent number of games, anyway) is the Baltimore, for what it's worth.

Then again, my lowest win rate by far is in the Surcouf, so that's not the most reliable metric.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Today I killed a Yamato plan B with the guns on my Surcouf.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Does the gold cost for additional ship slots increase as you buy more?

I've bought a fair number and haven't noticed any increase.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Platonicsolid posted:

So, fleet battles tonight or will it just be another "get smashed by dark judge" party again?

Dark judge usually doesn't get on until ten, so if everyone tries to show up early we should get a few games in.

That is, assuming they even DO show up - they didn't last Tuesday and we had some good games before breaking into squads.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Since I'm the only person actually online, I guess we aren't doing late fleet battles tonight...

Shame I had to work earlier in the day.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Surcouf possesses maximal levels of honhon.

The word you're looking for is elan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

EDIT: Just ran down and killed a 3 man Viking platoon in a Baltimore, Bismarck and Gearing by myself, this is quickly becoming my favorite boat.

Well, that sure is a battleship that's faster than the equal tier heavy cruiser.

• Locked thread