Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just grabbed this game and got the Repulse, for a second I thought I lost it because I had zero credits to actually get it with, but it was there.

Is there anything I should know going in, which premium setup to get and what not? Also, how does crew work and how do you get them?

Also, there is a distinct lack of the Alaska in the US tree, did they ever mention it? EDIT: They mention both it and the Montana in the ship descriptions for US X, do they plan to add them?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Trying to buy gold because I'm an awful person and I see myself getting $14 out of this game, but Steam is making GBS threads itself and won't let me. I wonder if it's a sign.

EDIT: Also just got a gift with a bunch of Chinese Characters and the word Steam that gives me nothing and links me to a Chinese login page, which I assume is related.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 25, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Oh I had absolutely no intention of logging into that page, just saying.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I spent most of today playing, and Battleships are fun as hell. I've gotten my lead pretty worked out to where I can sink DDs on the move or turning given I guess heading change correct. Got halfway to the Nevada in a day, love the Wyoming to death.

gently caress subs forever though. The fact I can do nothing to them when the game winds down to just us is kinda ridiculous. Does HE hurt them under water? And/or does it have better splash when they surface? I can't get a good direct hit salvo in even with a good grouping and aim.

Also the Fubuki is indeed fun, I get a little cocky with it though and charge headlong into a lot more people then I thought were there originally nearly every game.

Apped for GOONS, name is basically the same.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 26, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It was mostly just a string of bad games against a very good sub killing my whole team and then another where I killed 4 people on our cap at close to medium range in the Wyoming only to spend the next 9 minutes evading two subs with no recourse. Hopefully the Nevada has a better top speed and it'll get less lovely.

And yes I'm MazzSAE.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

I only got to play it a bit, but it felt like the guns were deflecting off of BBs a lot more than I'd have expected. And it's a good bit harder to dunk a smaller ship with less shells saturating the area. Still fun as hell, though.

It's very good but honestly pretty even with the rest of the Tier V BBs. The shells hit hard but you fire only six, and they aren't super accurate, so shooting at DDs or CLs is harder then with some of the others. Considering how like 95% of T5+ games are decided by spotting, its a pretty important trait.

Also, how do I play with goons? Do people occupy the mumble for this?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The Nevada is a good ship. These were back to back, my third and fourth games respectively.

In one of those games, I took a Konig from 3000 to 0 in one barrage, as he slowed down to depth charge a sub. If only I had good teammates in DDs and CLs :suicide:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 28, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So with the gold I have from the investment thing I'm really tempted to buy an Oyodo. I don't think people realize it can launch torpedo planes and therefore have no idea what's coming in those games with no CVs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panzeh posted:

It's the same rules as normal CVs, though, but moreso because Oyodo planes can't survive ANY AA at all. They're much flimsier than normal planes. Your CL armament isn't that good but if a destroyer can't aim you'll be okay.

idk I got a night game where it was on the other team vs our Altanta or whatever, it torped me as I had no idea it could and I figured it was recon. It seems like it could be pretty fun, and at 12k its not crazy expensive.

Also, while discussing the Altanta, :lol: what this thing can do to destroyers. They keep trying to torp me while I lay into them with 14 guns.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Come shoot botes goons, 3 spots still open for fleet poo poo

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Starting to get the hang of CVs (short answer is don't carry any DBs) but this is pretty much the outcome of every game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Dive bombers are useful for hitting destroyers and light crusiers at higher tiers. Also consider swapping out your scout planes for more fighters. Fighters do better at scouting anyway due to their durability and range over actual scouts. Yeah they can't see as far but does that really matter since they're going to spot things by getting shot down anyway

I've gotten pretty good at torping, DBs just seem too hard to actually use well since they need to overfly the target, the spread on the bombs is very bad, and the little aiming circle is not super intuitive.

I also dumped all my scouts for more fighters, yeah.

I REALLY need to get to the Indy for the 700 damage torpedos. Nothing like hitting a tier IV BB with an entire spread and doing 700 damage.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yep, probably buying that. Same amount of planes as the Bogue which is basically enough for an entire game plus they didn't actually lose all the rear turrets like I thought.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Video games that hand wave away the worst parts of historical practices are often the best video games.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Groggy nard posted:

I didn't have time to mention it earlier, but the Ise also lost a ton of armor protection from the lost turrets, which tend to have better armor than the ships belt(unless it is a skinny Treaty Cruiser), and put a plane hangar in the once flashproof, floodproof ammo storage and turret cavity.

So it took away quite a few of the strengths of a Battleship(extremely hard to penetrate stable gun platform) for a few squads of bombers that could only be used once. It will get deck penned and critted so hard. SO. HARD.

It seems like it might be a fun bote in this game though. Which won't stop me from going :psyduck: every time I pen one with a DD.

I can definitely see the flight deck being a weakness, but you have to think about it in more gamey terms. You basically get a low end BB (or really a CA at this point) that can roll with the BB group but also dispatch waves of both fighters and torpedo bombers to mix into its gun fire. This also gives it one of the best anti-sub weapons (with practice) in the game and a way to project power outside the range of your main battery. It's like giving a Kongo 1931 a Bogue welded to its rear end, but with 1000 damage torpedo planes instead of 300. Which is actually really cool and good once you get the feel for having both available to you, and get the rhythm of just putting up squadrons on standby as your hangar deck generates sorties. I already do this now with the CVs, sending them to circle over islands in the middle of the maps.

It'll definitely lose in a straight up gun battle with other BBs, but in terms of a long spotting fight or just general utility it sounds pretty drat fun.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

James Garfield posted:

How badly is the Ise CV outgunned? It seems like it'd have potential for fleet battle gimmicks, since the battleships shouldn't get focused anyway and having all those planes on your battleships might open some options.

(too bad it costs so much :()

The regular tier V Ise has 12 14" guns, using 6 2-gun mounts. The Ise BCV loses the rear two for the 30 planes. So the tier VI Ise BBV is more comparable to something like the North Hampton in terms of damage from a full salvo of main battery than it would be something like the Nagato Proto. It is definitely a down grade if you really plan on shooting other botes with the guns.

BUT, the Ise gives you close to eight tier VII torpedo squadrons to use alongside your main battery. Those planes, assuming you are using them, can hit other BBs and CVs for like 3000-4000 unavoidable damage. This is before you even consider how effective those same planes can be to targets like shallow submerged subs, something a regular BB can do literally nothing against.

While the Ise is outgunned in a pure gun battle, it really shouldn't be hard to get a lot of value out of the CV aspect of the boat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Crash74 posted:

dam this does play a lot like wot, but it's not bad :psyduck:? seems like you can spend money on everything, what's accually worthwhile dropping dollars on?

Some of the premium boats are on sale right now but still kinda pricey. If you are new you should definitely do that investment plan thing, you like double your gold just by playing up through tier VI, which only takes like 1-3 days to get to.

The gold conversion rate for free XP isn't terrible if you want to throw money at the grind.

There's really nothing that you need to buy I'd say.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The investment plan costs 10800, and the $13 dollar package gives you like 14000 right now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

YOU! IT WAS YOU! DEATH TO YOUR TORPEDO making GBS threads KIT KAT.

At least throw in the video where we boxed you in and then proceeded to get torped by one of our pub teammates.

Seriously, That thing is just made of torpedos. Shoulda had a tier 5 destroyer or crusier since repluse cant hit poo poo that size.

Nah that's a different game, we aren't on the other team. It was a Dark Judge guy both games in ours. But yes that really needs to be done with something like a Pensacola, where you can rush into him and just box him in. He's all torps so all you need to do then is unload on him for little recourse. BBs are kinda poo poo for this because the main guns don't aim at targets right.

Have some screenshots from the last couple days.

The story of the pubby CVs:

Doing this in a Fubuki is pretty normal, I feel like doing it in a Farragut is an achievement:

I also have a screenshot of a 12k damage game in the Indy where I killed 4 ships on the other team to make it just me and my pubbie Indy vs two enemy CVs. I literally ran out of planes by the end and we sailed around for like 3 minutes just trying to find each other, ended in a draw. I'm not going to post it because its kinda depressing to think about.

Also, goons come play botes. I should be on most of the day, just yell in fleet. You'll have to more than once prob because the chat system is poo poo.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Griz posted:

that thing does have guns - it can only fire 3 at a time and the arc makes it hard to hit destroyers, but they do a ton of damage and reload in like 4 seconds.

destroyers seem completely pointless in that mode. their guns don't hurt it, you can't torp it unless it's cornered because it's faster than any destroyer that doesn't have stacked speed commanders, and if you manage to line up a torp run you'll probably end up getting torped yourself unless it's distracted.

We tried 3 platooning it with Repulses, we got way more done just getting in close and using secondaries then we did with main gun fire. If the game keeps throwing you 5 or 6 vs him and not like 10+ people, you REALLY need to get as much damage as possible in or you'll run out of time even if you don't run out of boats. A DD is probably not a great choice, but something like a Pensacola would be good, something that does well at very close range.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Platonicsolid posted:

Good fleet battles with goons tonight. I feel like I was the boat anchor of the team, but hey, nice to be had. At least I felt better with a post-fleet match of slaughtering distracted BBs with torpedo salvos.

Was just a bad night for fleet battles in general. We had like half new people and stuff though, also I doubt any of us care enough to tryhard, the only real reason for even doing it is that merit award at the end of the month and the 2 battles weekly one.

To everyone though, it's worth it to get a Wyoming and/or Fubuki decked out, those are far and away the best boats in most cases for the lower fleet battles and good boats in general. If you have the credits putting that 10% reload thing on it is probably a good idea too if you plan to keep them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

That Jerk Steve posted:

Does anyone have advice on using Torp Bombers? I've been trying to practice in a Hosho but I'm terrible at them. Subs are no problem, same with the lone BB - but DDs and any type of cruiser are impossible to hit. Either my torps miss by a mile or get shot down.

I've been trying to practice before I decide to take the plunge on an Oyodo or Ise BBV

As much as I was talking up the Ise BBV I didn't realize it has a 25 second plane recharge time, which means you gotta wait like 3 times as long to put a squadron up. Probably not a big deal if you're only playing the CV part half the time but still.

Also, DDs and CLs are just really really hard to hit. It's best to just try to get them while they are distracted.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I know its because of low numbers but this game really needs to drop the 4v4 or 5v5 battles. They are almost always poo poo.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Just applied as DerWaffleMous.

Is being focused purely on destroyers a practical thing or is it one of those thankless jobs like playing scout in WoT was?

Just to add on to what everyone else said, a good DD is pretty much the most important part of a team, barring those fights where all the BBs are dead before you can really even do anything for them.

Couple things to know about good DD play:

1. Definitely carry smoke and try not to use it all too quickly
2. Vision works on the same basic concept as WoT so things like shooting can do more harm than good
3. Getting kills is great but staying alive to the end of games as a DD almost always pays off

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 4, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The best sub hunters are carriers without question because subs can barely see the planes and/or do anything about them. It's too bad the majority of carrier players are poo poo though.

I don't think I'll ever understand why the Fubuki is the tier III and the others come later. It's better armed than like everything but the Shimakaze.

EDIT: I'm getting pretty close to selling the Repulse. I just don't like it. It's not a bad boat, I just don't like it. The Ise and Nevada seem so much better at hitting things hard consistently. The Pennsylvania is basically just a bigger Nevada, and this describes them both very well.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 5, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So today was a good day, I got to clown a Dark Judge tryhard who spoke english. Dude was bitching we were running away the whole game but I was telling them to just keep going after the lovely players as they respawned and to run away from him as his crew/boat was WAY better than our destroyers.

This was the outcome:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 5, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah it really is a bigger version of the Atlanta, you gotta hope you don't get those poo poo, small games where you having nothing great to shoot at. That being said, if you do get a good target, you can do a solid amount of damage quick, especially with the loader ability.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The tier III carriers are really like a test of your enthusiasm, and you are rewarded with the tier IVs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Cruisers kind of get the shaft in the scouting game and I'm not really sure of the cause. My guess would be that most tier V and VI players have the same crew and even equipment and they all run into the same relative cap for spotting distance around 5500m (diminishing returns) and everything falls on disguise value from there. It wouldn't really surprise me to find out Cruisers have worse disguise then they probably should, this game has some areas that are a little questionable, like for instance the VI Pennsylvania is both more accurate and does 1500 more damage a minute than the Colorado that follows it, and the VII Colorado only gains like 150m in range. I did watch a M solo a VI battleship recently though by staying out of spotting distance so idk for sure.

At least know when you get to the Hipper you have very solid range and accuracy.

Do they display the disguise values of boats anywhere? That would prob explain a lot.

Also, both moving and shooting both lower the the disguise value somewhat significantly.

And someone should've told me to buy the Laforey when it was on sale. :argh:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

James Garfield posted:

Has anyone ever accomplished anything with the Bayern? I cannot imagine how another ship could possibly be worse - even in tier 6 games I would rather play a Wyoming.

In a 20 knot (after speed commanders) ship every game is a decision between sitting in the back and dealing no damage if your team is aggressive, or following your teammates and dying if they ever decide to turn around.

German boats are very bad before tier VII other than the sub and I think the Konigs '27, which still isn't anything special.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Looking at some of the fleet stuff, top 30 still gets you like 4 guys so as long as we keep showing up we should be golden. It only jumps up 1 more recruit and 3k free XP for top 10, which really isn't much when you consider the daily stuff.

But if we can actually get a junior squad and/or a second group going we might be able to crack it regardless. Shoot for a decked out Pennsylvania and/or a tier V DD if you want to try to do that higher fleet battle, either the Porter or the Shira both work. Also, try to put some equipment on your Fubukis and Wyomings, like the loader thing and the spotting thing if you haven't already. The fubuki with a good crew, chain loader, custom hoist and the range finder is pretty much unstoppable in pubs (alternative is the steering gear which is also good)

One thing I did notice from our battles tonight is that a lot of us just shot like poo poo. A lot of missing large targets like BBs because of bad leading and/or angles. That's something we can probably fix pretty easy next week.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't want to ask anybody to force themselves to "train" or do virtual gunnery drills or whatever. The skills you need to play fleet battles are basically the same ones you build by just playing normal games.

We still give a decent showing when we lose, and I don't want anyone to feel obligated to treat the game as a job or whatever. I certainly don't want to discourage any new players by demanding they get better for fleet battles (They don't matter very much).

I wouldn't ask people to do training or whatever, I don't care to take this that seriously either. Probably all it would take would be playing a couple pub games in the Wyoming right before fleet so we have a better feel. That's usually enough for me to aim a lot better. Same with playing the Fubuki or Atlanta. I agree though, so sorry if it came off as demanding, just come shoot botes goons.

For my crew, I tend to keep all my boats using the same core just so I max my skill gain on those guys, only swapping for specific skill sets like captain or getting plane guys on my CV. I also greatly prefer using the 3 star guys where I can simply because they can get 3-4 skills activated without being gated by promotions.

They look like this:

This guy is the lvl 5 BB reward, you got him with the repulse. The reload skill is incredible.

I'm pretty sure this guy is a reward too and he's far and away the best gunner available unless you can luck into Halsey or something. Really want 1000 qual to upgrade him, I'm at 300 right now.

I got lucky getting this guy from a draw.

lvl 5 DD guy, very awesome for Comms.

I swap Otto out for Mass in my DDs and CLs

For my engineer slot I have Mountbatten in atm since he has a +1 knot skill, but I just got Luckner last night and the disguise thing might actually be huge so I'm swapping him in I think.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 10, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I take back the bad things I said about the Pensacola. If you roll a little slower than full speed and run Luckner for the disguise thing, you are pretty monstrous. You do 10 more damage per shot than the Wyoming with the main path gun upgrade and you reload in nearly half the time; with the reload skill active you reload in a little over 6 seconds. I solo'd down the last 2 Wyoming before they even hit me.

Don't get me wrong, a good Nevada is WAY more scary than this thing will ever be, but it definitely can be a monster in the right situations.

Panfilo posted:

Any tips for a newbie?

Play Japanese DDs and US BBs until you get a good feel for how the game mechanics play out, these are the most forgiving lines and often the best boats of their tiers. Subs, CLs, and CVs can all be really good but DDs and BBs tend to make the most difference to a game (barring a VERY good CV or Atlanta match). Try to get to lvl 5 in a DD, CL and BB so you can get the good crew core guys, the Repulse should give you the BB guy right away. Make the squads in the barracks so you can set the squad for your boats fast and so you use the same guys continously as their little number under the protrait is skill and affects the position they are seated in (you can see this above in my crew screenshots).

If you plan on spending gold wait on the premium ships until you know what you actually want, and get that investment plan thing in the recharge tab as it gives you way more gold than it costs if you plan to play for any period of time (even a few days should get you to tier V or VI). If you get premium time and play even mediocre credits should never be an issue, so putting the 7 day camo on all your botes is a good idea as it increases disguise, a part of the spotting system.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 11, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Groggy nard posted:

Gonna add to the "Pepsicola is actually decent in this game" grouptalk with "It constantly outperforms the Repulse in my experience." which is really because the Repulse is just so undergunned considering how much of a slower and fatter target it(Repulse) is in comparison.

The Repulse has a problem similar to the Colorado, you are at the mercy of the shot RNG not scattering them into the wind and not hitting parts of the boat with armor. Sure when the stars align it'll dunk on people, but it's the hitting part that's the problem. The Colorado makes up for it a bit by being pretty equal to the other VIIs (the Scharn is the best by a good margin), but the Repulse will lose to a good Nevada or Ise pretty much every time.

The Pensacola is much more like the Nevada in terms of shot groupings, which is a very real advantage even it its weaker in other areas.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 11, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Stanley Pain posted:

I have no idea how some of you baddies can not like the Repulse, especially over the Pepsicola. You're WAY more armoured, move just as fast (35 knots on mine) turn just about as fast and have WAY more damaging primaries albeit slower reload. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the Pepsi especially if people aren't focusing on you.

I won't argue anything but the damage part. I think people underestimate what the upgraded Pensacola can do. I'm not at home to fully see, but it's it's ~213 damage from 10 guns at ~3.6 shots a minute. That works out to about 7500 DPM. I don't know the Repulse's numbers off hand but it's something like 480 x 6 x 2.2, or ~6200, I'll say 6500 since I'm ballparking this. They hit harder per shot, but collectively not so much. And yes the pen numbers matter, but I'd argue so does shot accuracy, and the Pepsi definitely wins there.

But, that all being said, I don't really think the Repulse is bad, I'm just not a fan of that type of boat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

Man, the upgraded main guns with improved fire and aim speed on the Pensecola make this boat.

They drop a significant amount of total damage though and 40 pen off the already kinda low 202, pretty sure 160 is too low for the deck armor of the German boats.

I stuck with the other guns in line to the NorthHampton, no complaints.

EDIT: for anyone curious on the gun math it's literally as simple as damage * # of barrels * firing rate (which is already in shots per minute).

Aiming time and precision are also somewhat important, but aiming time can be negated by pre-aiming often and is generally faster than reload anyway. Precision is important for sure but honestly you miss far more often because of bad manual leading than the gun spread on something like the Pensacola.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 12, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

It's mostly that I find the 40 pen isn't stopping me from breaking through the deck armor or pasting the smokestacks, which is the only way I was going to hurt a BB anyway, while the faster aim and reload make it better at dunking enemy scouts or lighter ships. Both are good upgrades, I'm just finding this one suits me better.

Yeah it's one of the very few gun upgrades that is a reasonable trade off/consideration and not just "get worse at everything to shoot farther."

Panfilo posted:

How is the Atlanta in this game? With manual AA seems like it would be a fun AA ship.

Speaking of AA, since a player has far more direct control over protecting himself I'm surprised they don't let lone carriers in battles. Between subs, aimed AA and poor plane vision they probably wouldn't dominate the same way they could in WoWS .

The Altanta is no better at AA than the others because as said the 5" guns on most boats cannot shoot airplanes. That being said, the AA mounts on most boats are more than adequate unless you are playing a very good CV who swarms or gives you no time to shoot.

The Altanta is a monster at tier IV though, ignore the fact you have torpedos entirely and you can WRECK everyone in a DD and CL, only worrying about enemy Atlantas or heavy ship fire as you get spotted. The best way I've found to play is hanging back a little and figuring out where the solo pubstar DDs have wandered off or where there light boats have gone in force. One you get a feel for the guns (basically the same feeling as DDs but 3x the amount) you can put out like 800-900 damage each 5 second salvo against boats with 1400-1700 health.

Night10194 posted:

The Atlanta is the only boat I've ever actually run out of ammunition in. I fired every single shell I had over the course of a match, HE and AP both.

I killed a lot of boats that day.

It happens to me often enough I carry 312 rounds of AP and no HE. Basically any game where I don't get dunked becomes a race between my ammo and a pentakill. Much like the Pensacola if you can get your aim right it can actually crit on all the Jap BBs, I killed a full health Kongo in a straight 1v1 battle 2 days ago.

Panfilo posted:

How fun are CVs to play? I just got a Bogue, but I'm finding the plane mechanics a bit different than what I'm used to.

CVs can be really fun but they are very different feeling from everything else. It's a lot like playing an RTS game where you have to plan ahead and your micro has to be very, very good to really excel. A good CV player can remove the subs and battleships from a game like nobody else, but a bad CV player (which is most of them) will accomplish, quite literally, nothing. Carry the full load of torpedo planes allow and forget that dive bombers exist except as a backup. From there its just learning to manage the availability of your planes and target selection, and getting used to the lead of the torps and accounting for safe range.

One big thing that will help with torpedo planes is remembering to account for their remaining travel time to the drop point when you are aiming. If you can do that then you won't have to retarget at the last second and force them to abort and do that dumb circle where they get shot down.

I tend to wait until they are right outside my actual top-down camera view to target, so I can be as accurate as possible without having to spam commands at them because I'm dumb and bad.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 12, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Oh man I just had a big night battle in the Shiratsuyu, ran silent until I popped up between two German BBs with smoke down, dumped 8 torps at like 700m for 7k damage.

:getin:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

Care to elaborate? I'm asking for help here so when I use a carrier I can be genuinely useful to my team .

If you give the torp command at a crazy angle or too close for them to dive a little and drop them they will cut the run and circle around. If you are spamming commands too close they will generally gently caress up and circle around. You have to be more confident in your aiming and line it up with time for the planes to get there and not be trying to turn or something.

Fighters attack when the little white circle pops up you just kinda keep clicking in the path of the enemy planes to keep them attacking. It's micro heavy and kinda poo poo so I wouldn't worry too much unless you are specifically on fighter duty.

Scouts die. That's all there is to know there.

The best way is to use your teams spotting to do the majority of the work leading up to your torps. Go after subs under water or CLs and BBs that are busy getting shot/shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

Thank you for the advice.

Do Cruiser and Battleship secondaries get better at higher tiers? I'm on Florida and the problem is that the secondaries have such terrible angles it's hard to get more than 2 aiming at the target. I'm guessing that when I finally get ships that have those twin 5" turrets it'll improve.

I like being able to manually use the secondary guns! Every little extra ounce of lead helps!

Also submarines are fun so far, I have the tier III Japanese one.

The get a lot better by about tier 4, yes. You don't get the sweet 5" DP mounts until VIII in the US tree though. I want a South Dakota so bad.

• Locked thread