Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Haha, yes, this Etrian Odyssey. It's probably the best they've made yet. Story mode was really great, haven't exactly finished it all to go to Classic but I might soon. I'll probably try following along if I ever finish up Story Mode completely, haha...

Name: Sophie
Class: Hexer
Portrait: 4

Rumor speaks of a cult that successfully summoned a dark god into this world, an evil being that hungers for everything. Too great a monster to control, the cult sealed it in the most appropriate vessel in hopes to control it. And, yet, even then, the vessel was barely controllable. Soon, the entirety of the cult was lost, and only the vessel remained: one hexer girl, that uses her dark god's power that hungers for more... and more... and more...

Yeah, that's what she claims, anyways. She's just really hungry and tries to eat anything she can get her hands on. That includes the monsters in the labyrinth. All her curses are, literally, her running up and biting them. It somehow works, so there might be merit to her story... Who knows?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh and as for a party: Ronin, Dark Hunter, War Magus, Gunner, Hexer. I mean that worked out well in the original game, right? :laugh:

And I have to go with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I usually miss the character submissions when the EO LPs go live, so I'm super excited to see my choice went through... Even if it was the only hexer :sweatdrop:

Dialogue's been fine and fun too, and I'm already eager for the next update. Probably because I haven't actually tried any of the nonstory mode classes! Eagerly await seeing just how different these classes are now, haha

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Force Break: Medical Miracle. Healing Touch Uses the head. TEC and VIT-dependent. Heals the entire party for an incredibly large amount, removes all status ailments (including petrification), removes all binds, purges all debuffs, and revives any dead party members while also healing them.

Biggest mistake in the localization. :colbert:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I was going to say roll with Papyrus, but FOEbucks is too good.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I actually like the grimoire system this time around. I mean, anything's an improvement over Untold 1's, but the clarity of knowing what skills are in what stone is really what I enjoy about it. Granted, though, true subclassing would probably be a lot more fun, but the system here's fun enough for me.

As for votes, Zack, Phoebe, and Rheine

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Geez, I know you only covered the entirety of one floor, but it feels like you're really trying to go through the game at a fast clip. Might have been better to have just made it two separate updates instead of parts, haha.

Guess if I ever grab any of the grinding DLC it'd be the exp one, though, didn't even know it gave EXP for the reserve members too. Probably because I haven't touched Classic that much, but that's good to know!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Tyler to take the first step on becoming a hero, Ursa to take up Wulfgar's claw, and Stardust for the Highlander synergy.

...Also because I started my Classic playthrough and the Alchemist is loving great.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:eyepop: I managed to finish the Chimera off on my first try of Classic mode, but that was something else entirely! Should've used my force breaks sooner, I guess, because I definitely didn't finish in single-digit turns...Granted, I'm pretty sure I went L/B, T/A/M, so it was a lot more balanced than... dunk-worthy. Looking forwards to seeing how the classes outside of Story mode work!

As for votes, let's use the ones that haven't had a spotlight yet. Colette, Milly, and Enatre

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

theshim posted:

Knight is an absolute troll who lives to screw with everything up to and including Yggdrasil itself.

This

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I love the contrast of humor between Ranger and Knight, even if it's literally just the humor from the game :allears:
Separate topic though, out of curiosity, if Fafnir could reclass what would his stat spread work well with?

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Player skills that can stun:
  • Stunning Smash (Landsknecht)
  • Temptation (Dark Hunter)
  • Shell Shock (Gunner)
  • Supreme Bolt (Gunner Force Break)

Doesn't the Survivalist's Sagittarius Shot have a chance of stunning? Impractical, sure, but it's there.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Phoebe, Starsust, and Rheine

Have fun on your vacation! :)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

On the subject of Grimoire Stones, if you get a Premium Chance is there any surefire way to get a passive ability? Like Shield Mastery if you wanted a Grimoire of it from the Premium?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

With how many characters you have, that's a pretty good idea for voting, honestly. Three just isn't cutting it, especially when you need a balanced party.

Let's go with Freyja, Phoebe, Sophie, and Stardust

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Asriel, Nadia, Ursa, and Jackie

Haven't seen these people in a while, so why not?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

gently caress the ambush wolves. Things were stupidly annoying even after they had the blue aura on the minimap...

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Phoebe, Tyler, Zack, and Colette

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:allears: Beautiful. Please tell me he's going to keep it on when he transforms too.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

AmewTheFox posted:

Y'know, this fight does raise the question of what Force Boosts look like on the receiving end of them. 'Cause, like, the Fafnir is the only one that changes portraits, if I'm not mistaken.

Of course, the design is so you can tell that, yes, Force is happening, I think it's a neat effect. (Also, it's really weird seeing other humans in the 3d style. There's something about it...)

Never mind Force Boosts, just imagine how the Force Breaks look with Wilhelm's animations

Look at that stupid goof, hahaha.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Let's have an Untold story, where the Highlander and the Fafnir Knight finally meet in Armoroad The Frozen Grounds, with their love interests of the Princess Sovereign and the Gunner Beast backing them up.

...So basically Ranger, Tyler, Rheine, and Ursa. Ricky was totally a giant bear, right? :v:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

We haven't seen Freyja and Sophie in a while, so those two along with Ursa and Realga

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Those Ambush Wolves were a serious pain when I played through Story Mode... Fuckers had a blue aura and still managed to wipe my party.

Anyways, going onto Picnic mode to grind up everyone else is actually a pretty good idea, I was wondering how you managed to keep everyone up to speed when I couldn't. (I thought you were using the EXP tea and just resting them all to get a reasonable level...)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Wulfgar... if he ever joined again :argh: But I'll go with Bertrand.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

To be fair, when you have fifteen characters to manage... :sweatdrop:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

The helpers are easily one of the most annoying parts of every boss fight in this game. I think the FOE bats in the Chimera's room are the only inoffensive ones in the entire game.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...I forgot the Demi-Fafnir had adds. The Control Devices are pretty tame helpers too, all things considered, but probably because of the Story Mode Reasons, yeah.

Honestly, the Frost King and Thunder Queen should've have a lot more story-related stuff to their DLC to go with the Demi-Fafnir, shed a bit of backstory to make up for not being Ginnungagap bosses. Probably would've been really easy, but... as-is, they just sort of exist.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Zack, Stardust, Tyler, Ranger

The best defense is killing the enemy before they do :black101:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I dunno, I think it's pretty vital that you hit as hard as you can.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

All the thought I put into Sophie was thinking how to make the hexing process silly. In retrospect, I may have basically ended up with Chloe 2.0, so I'm actually incredibly glad that you fixed that. That, and her literally tasting everything is silly enough without being overbearing, so I'm happy. As for the narrative, it's always great to see everyone else's characters interact in the other Etrian Odyssey LPs, and this isn't an exception. I look forward to the updates here all the time :)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Zack, Stardust, Ursa, Rheine, and Jackie

Chase Team ahoy!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:catstare: What sacrifices did you make to your voodoo god to land that many ailments and binds?

As for voting, I feel like we haven't seen Tyler in a while, so Tyler, Tyler, Tyler, Tyler, and Ursa.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ranger, Nadia, Phoebe, Rheine, and Colette. Go Story Mode on this thing.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

Dang. Is this the first mid-stratum boss? And it's a real whopper, too.

If you don't count Guild Esbat as "mid-stratum" (they are on the same floor, after all), then yes, it is.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Junpei posted:

I'm going to try and predict where Armoroad and Tharsis are in the real world, going by climate and location.

We have a Megathread for this.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

quote:

Huh! That's neat.

Freyja, Sophie, Ursa, Colette, Realga

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Are both of your votes for both the 24F/25F exploration party and the Overlord party, or do you want to vote separately for the two parties?

Oh, didn't know we could vote for different parties. But yeah sure both parties

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

How the hell do you build Survivalists so they actually contribute to fights? Flavio always feels like such a load. Early game, he doesn't have enough TP to contribute to fights and late, he does less damage than Arianna. He's basically only good for putting blind on any enemy so Chloe can do fuckhueg damage to everything.

I always built him to be a support rather than anything else. Tossed him some Hexer Grimoires and Curb Attack Up during the story so that he had more things to do, and usually had him set up for dodge tanking with Trick Step and using Hazy Arrow whenever he can. Didn't actually go for Chain Dance that often for him, but it and Scapegoat seems pretty decent from what I've seen of Ragnar's class showcase of them. And there's always the Swap Step option and throwing in the odd Sagittarius Shot or item when it's needed. And setting up for Chloe, like you said.

Basically fast and dodgy support helps out, especially when Flavio can throw in status ailments.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I was sad to see my character not make it to the final party.

quote:

...But then again, I didn't think I'd ever see that! Holy poo poo, Hexers, I didn't even know that was possible :magical:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Welp, I'm late for the end of the LP. Glad that I could have contributed at all, Ragnar, and I have to say it was definitely a blast following all of it, especially if you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

Also didn't realize you were the guy that did the Star Force 1 LP. If you ever restart that, I'm definitely following that too. Or maybe the other Etrian LP that you might do, who knows?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Jesus, you go through these updates quick. Don't want Fetus to catch up any time soon, huh?

Honestly, I love the track that plays here, especially the beginning. IIRC they used it for the Fafnir Knight's character trailer, and it's stuck to me ever since. Too bad Betting It All overrides it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Jackie, Phoebe, Milly, Colette

• Locked thread