Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dabir posted:

Has a replacement for Vanced come along yet? Or does anyone know about a project like that in the works?

Newpipe is the new youtube watching app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I'm going the opposite direction and got Olauncher. Minimal AF as they say. Icons and widgets are for babies who don't have the fine motor skills to click on things yet. It will probably annoy me to death in a day or two but not having any customisation options at all really takes the setup time out of a new launcher.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pvt. Parts posted:

Me likey this. Have been considering going with Niagara forever. Do you know how they compare if you've used em both?

No idea. Niagra has ties with the same people who just got Nova so didn't bother with it.

It is super minimal though, you can't even have widgets or icons anywhere so if you need that it might not be for you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I've actually just swapped to KISS Launcher now as the lack of shortcuts was annoying me as I use them a bit. FOSS - something I'm trying to move to more as I de-corporatise my life - so on f-droid + play store and doesn't need an internet connection at all so no one is getting your info. Still mostly a text search rather than scrolling based UI but a nicer middle ground.

It's very snazzy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of using play store credit from rewards for Google One. They don't take partial payment so if you are $1 short of your yearly membership then they'll charge the whole lot to your account. So basically either pay monthly and have them hit your card when you don't have enough rewards or top up with a gift card or something before they try to charge you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

nielsm posted:

Any recommendations for an app to crop and resize pictures?

Also, I realized it'd be neat to get a sound alert when the phone is charging and at maybe 90% and then 100%. Does anything like that exist?

Tasker is great for that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for timers that chime every 30 seconds, for exercises/stretches and whatnot. And that I could leave on and have that continue, but also could reset easily etc. Any cool ones? Also preferably the sound isn't annoying. I've been doing mississippi seconds in my head like an animal.

Ideally, for an extra fancy example, maybe I could set it to 35 seconds, have a 5 or 10 second break to get in position for the next one, then have 35 seconds go again. So I don't have to mess with it all the time.

TABATA is the search term for what you want and there are a billion of them. I use one called 'tabata timer: interval timer' and it works perfectly for what I want with custom intervals so never really looked around.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a go-to add-on for Firefox Android ad-blocking?

Ublock origin works for me on desktop and android

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tree Reformat posted:

Is anyone else having download issues with Pocketcasts? Suddenly I can't get the app to download from any podcast, and search for podcasts is failing too. Internet on the phone otherwise works fine.

Updated to Android 13 on my Pixel 4a earlier in the week, if that's relevant.

Is it set to download over wifi and you're not on wifi? Don't use pocketcasts but the superior app - Podcast Addict - fails like this when the flag is set to only use wifi.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Toast Museum posted:

Superior how?

I use it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I listen to podcasts at 1.5x speed and having my music player doing that would really alter the music experience.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Soysaucebeast posted:

On an unrelated note, is there an app/workaround to block Youtube ads? I currently pay for a Youtube subscription, but with them raising the price 5$/month it's getting harder to justify. I thought a Pi-Hole would work, but apparently not, and all the other stuff I'm seeing online leads to shady Russian websites. I mean if I have to pay I have to pay because gently caress sitting through multiple ads per video, but I figured if anyone had something legit then you guys would.

Newpipe. It doesn't do logged in stuff though so you'll need to redo subscriptions and things.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you have a bt device at the wifi location you can set that to a trusted device in settings and it will keep your phone unlocked.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

pik_d posted:

So I have to stream it to avoid the injected ads? That's weird and lovely

No, the stream will still contain the ads. Podcasts are as big as they are because iHeart Media and co can shovel ads into your ears - streaming it isn't some loophole to get around that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hadlock posted:

Is there an Android games thread

I'm not big into Android games but leaving my switch at home this time. Need stuff that can be played in airplane mode

Looks like FF7 and Crossy Road are good options

Are there any rogue likes I should check out, city builders or whatever

I have a pixel 5

It will come up in the Android thread a bunch too but goon made game Slice and Dice is basically the perfect phone game. The free version gives you a good taste of how it goes and it is almost universally adored. There is even a thread for it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm using Fenix and all of a sudden none of my feeds can refresh and I can't log in to any of my accounts. Did the big dumb piss baby finally kill third-party clients?

I use Fenix and it's not updating for me either. Whether this is malice or stupidity is a coin flip until word drops.

It might be worth checking nitter to see if the fire hose has been broken. I'm to lazy right now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/mttvll/status/1613809046527541248

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Messages doesn't have a dark mode and it is killing me

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It appears I've gotten so used to using signal for sms that I'd forgotten to reinstall the non Huawei messages app after a factory reset. That one is on me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I use KISS launcher. It's great, on f-droid and super light. There is no trouble setting it up because it won't really let you do much. You can't even have app shortcuts cluttering up your desktop.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I just installed newpipe from f-droid and it did not require any extra work.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nah, all my subscriptions are in an rss feed the way God intended.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Uthor posted:

I am turned on Beta in the Nova app. So far I haven't noticed the bug that was annoying me. Much thanks. I thought the project was completely dropped.

I thought Nova wasn't dropped so much as abandoned by everyone because they sold out to some seriously scummy people.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a good subscription tracking app? I generally have a good handle on all my various subs, but a single place to get an overview would be nice. I don't mind paying but maybe a one time payment rather than a subscription, too much irony otherwise.

Would a google sheet not be enough for this?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

KISS Launcher supremacy.

Gestures for the stuff you want easy access too. Favourites for a few more so you got your little row at the bottom and fuzzy search for everything else. Maybe a clock widget if you're feeling wild but you're not getting app shortcuts all over your wallpaper.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pipski posted:

Is there any straightforward way to unify my volume controls in android, so that when I adjust it up/down it applies to all of them? There is no situation in which I want to turn down just media / ringtone/ message tones contextually and it's just a pointless pain-in-the-rear end feature (for me.) Don't wanna be somewhere quiet, think I've turned the volume down, then receive an email and have that notification still blaring out.

Smart watches have killed the need for noise in notifications. Take advantage of that if you can.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

effika posted:

What was the music app people liked that wasn't PowerAmp? The last update broke shuffle - it'll play two songs and then leave the playlist or album and shuffle all songs - and I can't get any sense if it is being fixed. Might as well look what's out there now.

AIMP?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Uthor posted:

I can do it. Just pay me $1 per shock.

For $0.99 I will give you a chance at winning greater and increasingly rarer shock levels.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Knowing Google it probably was available and then they pulled it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

YggiDee posted:

I'm telling you all, Podcast Addict. Been using it for eight years.

We don't agree on a lot of things (I assume, never checked) but this is 100% correct.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

sourdough posted:

I switched from podcast addict to Google podcasts a couple months ago and like it way better

So you're the reason they're killing it off.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Branch Nvidian posted:

YouTube app sucking

Use Newpipe, stop using the YouTube app.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hark posted:

what the gently caress is YouTube messenger?!:dafuq:

Were you not part of the beta for it before Google killed it?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I shout at my phone "hey google add cum to shopping" it puts 'cum' in my keep list called 'shopping'. There was literally nothing done to set this up.

Wait, I lied. I did have to set Keep as the default notes app.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Medullah posted:

Why would you buy cum isn't there plenty at home

Sometimes you have guests coming over and not enough on hand.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Uthor posted:

My mom had a friend fly in from out of country, turn on her phone and it beeped non-stop for like fifteen minutes. She got some news app and every topic of dozens and dozens was set to beep when there was an update and turning them off required clicking on every freaking notification and toggling it off.

Sounds like a great app to delete and never reinstall.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Buy your sister an account with plat and just use it for PMs

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Deathlove posted:

I use PodcastAddict but I paid for it before it went Subscription Mode.

Oh poo poo, they went subscription mode too. While I'm glad I paid for it as I've found it great they're no longer going to be what I recommend to people.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Keep is actually a good Google product. So expect it to go away soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bright Bart posted:

Just wondering, does anyone know of a good *off-line* password manager app other than KeePass and its clones? One where you don't even need an account let alone a subscription to use. And ideally on more than one platform?

I am using BlackBerry Password Safe which is fine but I'd like to see what else is out there. Google isn't much help: it brings up apps which aren't truly off-line (i.e. Bitwarden which you can use off-line in view mode but you need a subscription and the actual entries are hosted online) and Reddit posts asking the same thing and being told that it's a fool's errand because you're taking on the security risk yourself and your phone is more likely to be stolen then breached than companies like LastPass and Dashlane are to be hacked (which I don't know is actually true and ignores other shortfalls).

Since the lists don't even mention BB Password Safe I'm presuming there might be quite a lot of options that fly under the radar.

I'm a huge fan of password store. Not sure what the windows / iOS usage is like but Linux, OSX and Android are workable. I just use command line stuff but GUI probably exist to fit it and you can easily share your passwords via a git repository. It's a bit techy though so if you want super simple setup then maybe it's not for you. Sharing secret keys between devices is the hardest part so if that doesn't put you off then you're golden.