Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Abner Cadaver II posted:

them and their revellings :argh:

That guy better not forget to move his tail or he's going to have a serious problem soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Sure it does, we just don't like that other cabal

So we're the... Slavewrights? Libersmiths?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Prohibition Party's got my vote! They're still around, after all!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

George Washington Julian is the best.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Vote Fremont! Vote Temperance!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Buchanan's face is avatar material, if you flip it on the vertical.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Great av/post combo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Note that the Prohibiton party, unlike the folks who eventually got the Prohibition amendment, are interested in a gradual shifting of American norms and laws against alcohol, not immediately banning it through out the country. Black's radical egalitarianism is separate from his detestation of alcohol- I suspect both come from his Christian faith, and hatred of barriers to equality for the impoverished.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Black may have some interesting views on the side, but the central tenet of his platform is something that the country isn't ready to face yet. I wouldn't've expected modern-day goons to vote for him. I thought they liked their booze.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm predicting an alcohol ban and universal suffrage as a result of this election.

The Prohibition Party at this point in history wasn't angling for a ban, because they knew how worthless such a law would be. These guys were gradualists, favoring increased education and regulation until social norms shifted against drinking and toward racial, gender and economic equality. They were also bimetallists, but hey, no one's perfect.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Gentlemen, so far I'm unmoved. Who's the anti-papist of the lot?

Well, Greely was a Universalist, and the Prohibition Party leaders were protestants and founders of the Good Templars, which was wow, are a sort of substance-free Masonic organization. The other parties seem catholicism-agnostic, at most.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Friends, do you have a moment? A moment to talk about...Sobriety?

("I was inspired to my platform when I received this haircut from a sloshed barber")
Friends, I've been reading the thread and I'm sorry to say I think there's been some misunderstanding going on.
The Prohibition Party, despite their name, are by no means a single-issue group! Black and Russell have failed to attract the support of other anti-alcohol groups specifically because their campaign isn't single-issue. Black and Russell represent the most progressive social positions on a wide range of topics, including public infrastructure funding, anti-corruption, and opportunity. Of particular note, if Black is elected, he promises to push for an amendment to make the Presidential election decided by popular vote. That's right- a vote for James Black is a vote to put Al Gore into the White House- and to keep George W Bush out!

Now, it's true, the Prohibition Party wants to work toward ending the consumption of alcohol (a noble cause), but at its root, this is because alcohol is a means by which Americans limit their own ability to flourish in a civil society.

It's a process by which members of a variety of oppressed groups are effectively held down- a tool of oppression by the overclass, inflicted on workers and the poor across the nation. :ussr:

Alcohol abuse leads to a variety of social problems, as well as causing shirking and underemployment, costing the US economy millions. :911:

Frank, fill the rest of these in for the demo breakdown, we don't pay you to goof off all day. Don't forget to include poland and columbia, but don't use their smilies.

:japan:
:tito:
:britain:
:italy:
:vuvu:

This is state of affairs is intolerable to Mr. Black, because at the root of the Prohibition Party's humanist Christianity is a belief in one thing:

radical egalitarianism

("I am very popular with the youth voters-I understand their lifestyle")

The Prohibition Party firmly believes in equal rights and full enfranchisement for all, regardless of gender, class, religion, nationality, or race. This combination of factors places the party more than a hundred years ahead of its time. In many respects, it's the most liberal and the most progressive platform the United States has ever had.

C'mon, friends! Support temperance! Support equality! Support justice!

Down with corruption! Down with prejudice! Down with inequality!

Vote Prohibition Party 1872!

("Once you go Black, you'll never go back!")

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 19:04 on Apr 19, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Not really sure how I feel about a highly religious government though.

serioustalk, mostly:
While the Pro Party (that's what the cool kids call it) is led by Protestant Christians who personally believe that America is a Christian nation, it's also committed to complete legal and social equality for those with other religious beliefs.

Russell, the VP, is the one more committed to the "Christian Nation" thing, but even there, the reality is that these sorts of aphorisms were largely reflections of a general desire for a virtuous civil society, expressed in the common language of the day, which happened to be Christian. The Prohibition Party did eventually become fringey, single-issue, and die-hard Christian, but this was largely in response to electoral failures that saw the early leadership pushed from its positions and replaced with an insurgency that actively supported the immediate, non-incremental banning of alcohol on a national scale. Black and Russell were one of the only real times that this sort of platform had a big-tent, inclusive ideology with a broader platform and appeal.

Platystemon posted:

Does the Prohibition Party have a position on parrots?

Mr. Black is skeptical, but he willing to support research to see if Parrots are intelligent, if it is truly the will of the people. He is not in favor of Mr. Cooper's school, and shares the general position of the New York Times on the sinful nature of talkative, intoxicated barbers. The position of the Prohibition Party at this time is that parrots are not ensoulled and to do posses nor deserve the rights of citizens.

edit: Gosh darn it Frank, you had one job

QuoProQuid posted:

This is some good poo poo.
edit 2: A quick search shows Mr. Cooper mentioned in Scientific American, too.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Apr 19, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ok you've almost won me over, but what do you think about the secret presidential choice Benjamin G. Brown?

A fine man in many respects, who shares many views with the Pro Party. We would be proud to work with him to ensure that the efforts of Reconstruction do not go to waste. We also share his desire to improve the lot and standing of our nation's many immigrant peoples. At the same time, it is deeply regrettable that he has not recognized the rightful equality of women in American society. Only the Prohibition Party is committed to complete ballot access for US citizens, regardless of "color, race, former social condition, sex, or nationality."

Vote for the Prohibition Party: You can't spell "intersectionality" without several letters that are also in our name. Does "liberal republican" have a T in it? I didn't think so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Popero posted:

Black has a lot of ideas that sound good in theory, but what is he actually going to do about Reconstruction

Actually enforce laws on the books in the region, not be hilariously bad at staffing/corruption? Basically, all the things the Grant administration promised, then failed to accomplish. The primary downside I can think of (if you see it as a downside) is that there will be major expanses in federal government regulation, and Southern states are likely to be subject to a great deal of financial pressure for several decades as Reconstruction continues. Notably, the Pro Party is opposed to cycling appointments, so the more competent Grant admin appointees will be kept on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The biggest problem I have with James Black is that he's so obscure I can't really find much information on him. There may be a bunch of flowery little extras tacked onto his platform, but they are all secondary to one, singular thing he and his party hold before all others. It's in the name, prohibition.
Dear Friend, I'd urge you to review our missives; the record is clear that the Pro Party Platform focuses on alcohol as the crisis of the time, but that it stems from a deeper commitment to fundamental civic participation and American rights:

Discendo Vox posted:

The Prohibition Party, despite their name, are by no means a single-issue group! Black and Russell have failed to attract the support of other anti-alcohol groups specifically because their campaign isn't single-issue. Black and Russell represent the most progressive social positions on a wide range of topics, including public infrastructure funding, anti-corruption, and opportunity.

Don't take our word for it- consult your voter guide!

QuoProQuid posted:

He seeks to end the practice of patronage and stop “removals from public service for mere differences of political opinion.” He seeks fixed and moderate salaries for government employees and the establishment of oversight mechanisms to ensure accountability and minimize corruption. He also wants to ensure the direct election of the President, Vice-President, and Senators, a radical proposal that hasn’t been embraced since Jackson. Even more radically, James Black seeks women’s suffrage and has railed against voting restrictions caused by “color, race, former social condition, sex, or nationality.” He holds similar views on immigration, arguing that the United States should accept all immigrants, regardless of education or origin. Black believes in bimetallism, a system allowing the unrestricted currency of two metals as legal tender and wants to turn the telegraph, railroads, and water travel into public utilities.

The historical record is limited, but its message is clear: #ProParty #BlackPower

SlothfulCobra posted:

You may say that he favors a gradual shift away from drinking rather than pushing for a ban, but that only means that he is promising to do a lovely job at implementing his highest priority issue, so he will be spending most of his time in office being totally ineffectual. And really, why should we expect this obscure Pennsylvanian lawyer who has spent the last three years publishing temperance pamphlets with his rinky-dink little party that is only on the ballot in six states to be any better at dealing with congress than the man who beat the south? I'm not very into alcohol myself, but there are vastly more important issues facing the nation right now, and I don't see a drat thing in his platform about reconstruction.

There, is a difference between gradual social persuasion and ineffectiveness, you know. We've had a grand example of the latter from our current President, who, God save him, has kept very poor company: (from the wikipedia page devoted to Grant Administration scandals

"Grant was personally honest with money matters. However, he was extremely careless with his associates.Historian C. Vann Woodward stated that Grant had neither the training nor temperament to fully comprehend the complexities of rapid economic growth, industrialization, and western expansionism. Grant himself had been educated and trained at West Point in subjects as conduct, French, mathematics, artillery, cavalry tactics, and infantry. He had come from a humble background where men of superior intelligence and ability were threats rather than assets. Instead of responding with trust and warmth to men of talent, education, and culture, he turned to his military friends from the Civil War and to politicians as new as himself. A majority of Grant's cabinet had studied at or graduated from various colleges and universities, including Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. Grant's son, Grant Jr., stated that Ulysses S. Grant was "incapable of supposing his friends to be dishonest." President Grant's Attorney General George H. Williams stated that Grant's "trusting heart was the weakness of his character". Williams stated that Grant was slow to make friends, however, once friendships were made "they took hold with hooks of steel."

The Pro Party is committed to political appointment based on merit, not on personal friendships. Effective, clean-living leadership will bring Reconstruction back on track and restore our nation's honour and finances.

#BetonBlack #Figurativelygamblingisasintousprobably #Votesarentbets We're #intheblack

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's also interesting that you bring up instituting a popular vote instead of an electoral college, seeing as how at this point in history, the one time it's come up it helped forestall good ol' genocidal Jackson from taking the reins of power in favor of the thread-favorite Adams dynasty. It may become relevant again at some point in the near future, but that's a matter for another day entirely. And "Gore?" Ha! Next you'll be telling us all that one day a series of tubes will connect all peoples within and without our nation for the primary purpose of making fun of cats! That has no bearing on 1872!

We must not look to the past, but to the future! Jackson was forestalled from office by electoral tie-splitting schemes, it's true, but while he was given the majority popular vote, only of those whom were allowed to vote at the time. We must strive to create a better America for all its citizens, not merely those who have the ear (and the chequebook) of those in power, as has been the pattern of late.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And speaking of Jackson, there's an issue that most people don't generally care about because it mainly concerns the territories, far away from most of the states' population centers, but there have been a series of wars with the Indians burning in the background, and there's only one candidate who even has peace with the Indians anywhere on his priority list, and that's Grant. It's no small task to ensure that the peace is kept, and any other candidate would just let the army out in the frontier go about the business of slaughter as usual out of sheer apathy for conflict that they have no perception of. This is one of the few times where a candidate's military experience is actually going to be useful beyond being mere leadership experience. Although, I suppose the premature deaths of people who would otherwise still be dead by today may have less pull with goons than some theoretical ephemeral rights being offered by a man who can't be proven too incompetent to deliver by dint of obscurity. Past lives don't matter.

I have two words for you my friend: radical equality. It's true, there's little record of the position of the Pro Politicians on the Indian Question, but it isn't hard to guess what their approach would be to these transgressions.

Vote Black '72. #BlackLivesMatter #BlackRadicals, unite!

Lord of Pie posted:

A vote for Prohibition is a vote against Hard Cider

A vote for Grant is a vote for Whiskey (and like 12 other massive corruption scandals):

#Vote72 #ImBackinBlack

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Apr 20, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

How do we feel about bimetalism again? That's an issue I cannot wrap my head around.

Here's my best understanding of the situation, which is quite limited. Taking off my Black campaign hat for this one. Three basic approaches here:

1. Fiat currency- great, especially in modern times with good controls and an economy that makes you a reserve currency for exchange purposes, but not well understood at the time, and raises a greater risk of devaluation and exchange problems. This is what was running at the time- the US went to it to, as far as I can tell, avoid coinage and fraud problems during the Civil War. It's not clear to me how viable this was long-term, because fit currency was a lot harder to control at that point in history.
2. Gold Standard- this is what we actually went to after the 72 election. It has a lot of the same problems of bimetallism- limited flexibility, e.g., plus the very limited supply can be abused. The gold standard is associated with the antecedents of the gilded age because of how easily it could be controlled by the people who would become insanely, stupidly wealthy during the period.
3. Bimetallism- best of both worlds, right? Well, it's generally regarded as less vulnerable than the gold standard to abuse and has more flexibility (the government controls all exchange rates under the versions that people were actually advocating for at the time), but inflation via the silver supply does seem like a real risk. Milton Friedman says that going to the gold standard after the Civil War was a mistake and bimetallism would have been better, but it's Friedman so you can't really trust him.

It seems like all of the options were bad- it's hard to say which would ultimately have been preferable, with so many unknowns. Probably why it remained a source of massive contention for more than a hundred years.

Also, Goon heroes throughout history have been fans of it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Unfortunately, Grant would soon be overtaken by economic calamity.

...Grant suddenly decreased the country’s money supply by putting the United States on a de facto gold standard.

Violent strikes by unemployed workers were reportedly happening on a daily basis.
Alcohol consumption skyrocketed
The United States, as well as the entire world economy, would remain trapped in a deep recession for almost a decade.

As many Americans were reduced to abject poverty, reports continued to swirl about rampant corruption within the Grant Administration. Despite promises to clean up his administration, Grant had unceremoniously reappointed all his former cabinet officials. These officials immediately set to work stealing as much money as they could manage.

Oh, if only you had elected James Black! Bimetallism would have solved your economic woes, Black's firm anticorruption stance would have prevented the profligate fraud and crime of the Grant administration, and incremental restrictions on alcohol would have slowly weaned the nation of its reliance on the Devil's Juice. Plus, y'know, universal enfranchisement. That too.

Oh well, I guess we'll be stuck with the crazy fringe prohibitionist movement from now on. Well done, Goonmerica. You get the nation you deserve.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

lenoon posted:

Though all these candidates are terrible, hope is on the horizon! The best president there never was is 21, and probably already going bald, soon comrades, soon!

I had no idea Sanders was so old.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Corek posted:

Like:
-Women's Rights?
-Socialism?
-Communism?

Vote Greenback!

Policies aside, that cartoon makes them look like they host party meetings in Williamsburg excuse me, "Little Berlin".

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Goin' to St. Louis by George Colt

Colt satirizes the different factions within the Democratic Party. Front and center, the Democrats are led by an urban Tweed-esque political boss., clothed in a mix of a suit, jail attire, and reformist chains. Though Tilden supposedly crushed the power of the old political clubs, Colt believes that the Democrats just got better at hiding their corruption. The political boss is dragging a "Rag Baby," a common symbol for soft-money reformers, behind him. The boss is also flanked by the Catholic Church, which Hayes opposed, and the Ku-Klux-Klan, whose lawless brutality was frequently condemned by Republicans. In the rear is Tammany Hall, dressed as a Native American. Throughout the period, the Native Americans were portrayed as lawless brutes who would slaughter good Americans if given the chance. Colt is suggesting that the Democrats will butcher "real Americans" if Tilden is given a chance in office.

Why is the Tammany Hall figure being rolled in on a platform by an unseen striped character? Is this meant to indicate it's fake?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

sorry, I actually found out by going to the source site- it's meant to indicate its semblance to a dime store indian statue.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

After an extensive investigation, a Buffalo has accused Cleveland of violently raping a woman.

QuoProQuid, don't hold out on us- are there any Harper's cartoons of this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Butler also apparently raided New Orleans' financial and physical resources a few different ways, arranging the fire sale of the city's properties to himself. This also included a variety of activities that benefited the Confederacy. Not actually an ethical guy, just better at paying it lip service, at least by QPQ's description.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 21:15 on May 26, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

NumberLast posted:

Brutal. Also accurate.

?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

i almost always vote prohibition, so this election is really tough for me

Bryan really wanted to make 1896 a referendum on the gold standard. He had other opinions and beliefs that came out in his later campaigns, but he actively tried to avoid talking about other issues for fear of alienating a key constituency.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

BENTLEY!

*slams typewriter, shattering it into a million pieces and horribly maiming myself*

QPQ, am I correct in thinking Black was the only incrementalist prohibition candidate?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah. One of the more interesting part of these write-ups has been seeing subtle shifts in party platform. Each election, the Prohibitionists have gradually become more radical, moving away from broad reform to a narrow-minded focus on the destruction of alcohol.

I'm not sure if that is a better or worse way to go than the Liberty Party, which rapidly morphed into Ron Paul.

In that case, let me add:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think that's a fine way to handle it. I already look forward to the election of Socialist Not Appearing in This Picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

"In its history, an enormous number of people have contended for high office. While some of these individuals have attractive platforms, strong managerial experience, and a network of backers, others have not. In certain elections, picking a candidate might entail sacrifices, either in policy or experience. The Prohibition Party, for example, once campaigned on a platform of civil rights, women’s suffrage, child labor laws, and the national prohibition of alcohol. Other parties might make wild promises, but provide no realistic way of achieving those ends. "

"...I am consumed by self-loathing..." -QuidProQuid

• Locked thread