Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sickening posted:

Its probably explained in the thread somewhere but it appears that in almost in every case that foil packs are always heavier by a few grams. It also appears that tokens are lighter due to worse quality paper used.

I wanted to see if this was true myself and, at least to some extent, it is. I took a few packs into the lab when I had some spare time and used the scale there, accurate out to 0.0001 g. I didn't have the best sample size, but I was able to identify the packs with foils in them relatively easily. There were also some false positives that I couldn't explain, and a few false negatives as well. In general it's doable if you have the equipment, time, and motivation. But scales as accurate as the one I was using cost so much that unless you were finding expeditions it probably isn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rinkles posted:

From that thread,

packs with foils are blue

Small sample, only one of the foil packs are identifiable. So you can probably catch foils, but not all of them

I'm curious what set that is. I had packs from a few sets on me and origins packs were all 2-3 grams lighter than BFZ packs. In my limited recollection the BFZ packs were all above 30g, with a few as high as 34g. Origins had numbers much more similar to the ones in those graphs. Even with insane levels of accuracy the data is fuzzy at best and you can easily get false positives and negatives. If someone wants to drop hundreds of dollars for a good scale, and then sink a bunch of time into getting a ton of data and hoping for the best when it comes to recovering the cost of the scale more power to them. I don't have the patience for it even with access to a scale that I don't have to pay for.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 21, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Because it's actually Marit Lage who woke up and decided to gently caress with a new Plane.

More realistic answer: Because the Moon controls the tide and Emrakul is loving with the Moon.

I really want it to be the return of Marit Lage, no joke. That would be so much better than Emrakul.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I would love to have Urza and Yawgmoth resurrected. I want to see new phyrexia decide they can't truly compleat themselves without his guidance so they bring him back and so the power rangers have to jump around the multiverse trying to find artifacts to bring Urza back so he can solve things.

They do and he's like "I'm just one guy, why can't you figure this out without me? What were you expecting? There is no easy solution, only War" and there's a giant loving war and Urza gets dirty as hell and Jace, the living guildpact becomes Jace the living guildbomb.

The whole brothers war / thran/phyrexian thing is hands down my favorite magic setting.

This would be metal as hell. Do it Wizards.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

The best thing is that you don't have to actually bring back Yawgmoth, you can have a fake Yawgmoth puppet controlled by Elesh Norn or something and have interesting civil wars / political intrigue on the Phyrexian side, and you can make Urza broken and scattered and half mad from being stitched together from various Urza-influenced artifacts. Karn can play against Urzas madness and you can generate internal conflict there.

Lilliana is the one who suggests the Jacebomb because she doesn't want to get her hands dirty and risk herself in the coming war.

So Urza is unchanged? :v:

Really though, you could do a lot of neat things with this. Yawgmoth comes back, either for real or as a fake puppet and is told Urza has died and starts to take things over. The plane-eteers resurrect a pretty screwed up and broken version of Urza but don't tell him Yawg is back, just that phyrexia is an issue still. Then they get involved the the big fight, Urza sees Yawg, and they both go apeshit and now everyone is in danger because a pair of gods are just going at it full force. Now everyone has to stop them before they destroy everything.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Sure but how does an entire round get lost? How do you pair round 15 without round 14 being in the system?

By hand, which is where the issue came from. They missed/messed up by what amounted to less than 0.01 points when figuring who would make top eight.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Is there a better thread than this one to ask questions about Xmage in? I'm having trouble getting it to connect to the server and am lost.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

But that's, like, all of Hearthstone's revenue, right, besides merch and advertising on their events? I assume Magic makes most of its money through the paper side of things.

Right, but MODO has the potential to earn way more than it does if it was just coded well. Magic is hugely popular, but the poo poo program drives a lot of revenue away, potentially even to Hearthstone.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Fair enough on MTGO points. It would be nice if Hearthstone lit a fire under them to get their poo poo together, but I don't have high hopes if only because of how often they seem to be caught with their pants down just in terms of game balance in Standard these days. There seems to be a fairly high level of stupid going on up there.

Or maybe they just aren't given enough funding to actually do stuff they know they should do. IDK.

Wizards HQ, where MODO development takes place, is in Redmond, WA. Home to Amazon and Microsoft, both companies that will pay actual wages to software folks in the region and probably have an ok work environment. Contrast this with Wizards, who hopes that developers will work for far less money (because they don't have a proper budget) and in an environment that is pretty poo poo according to their glassdoor. The general consensus is that they are hoping someone who has a great love of the game will be willing to deal with the poo poo and take a pay cut to work there and that's just not happening. Maybe with more money they could hire someone good, but that probably wouldn't fix the work environment issues.

Sigma-X posted:

Outside of client stability, what exactly are you guys expecting them to do with MTGO to make it compete with Hearthstone?

Also that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Imagine if players could issue challenges to other players at the PT (or leading up to the PT) --- Turtenwald challenging Shota in a format of Shota's choosing. Players come out to promos and the format is revealed at the last minute. That sounds pretty great to me...

"Shota has chosen.... BOOSTER DRAFT!!!"

Queue six other players showing up to fill out a draft pod. In a cage. Additional grudge matches that weren't on the card appear.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

I'd love to know why that deck is called "Cheerios," because it makes no sense to me.

All those spells that cost zero mana looks like they have a Cheerio in the upper corner.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Years ago I used to use the phrase "Move to ruckus phase."

I am glad that I have moved beyond this stage in my life.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

All these transform/add a counter options seem like they use the stack and can be responded to, potentially letting your opponent blow up the land before you get the color you actually need out of it. This is probably the most insane corner case of all time, but playing this card:

And then getting it ghost quartered before you can tap for R to kill your opponent would be the worst thing. Yes, I've constructed the most insane situation possible, including your deck with no basic mountains left in it, a bolt/shock in hand, and your opponent at 2 life. But it could actually happen.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Has this artist been working for them for a while? I like this, and I don't recall having seen anything else in quite this style recently.

http://magiccards.info/query?q=a%3A%22filip+burburan%22&v=card&s=cname

He's done 26 cards, all recent. I think the earliest he did anything was M15.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

kas posted:

Using this as an excuse to repost this thing I made. (where is Return to Time Spiral block?)

Those are awesome and I would play cards with those borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I really like that they use the image to distinguish between the level of the network responsible for the spell.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 9, 2017

• Locked thread