Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

If they were going to errata colorless mana to produce this ♦, why would they print a card like Kozilek's Channeler in the set preceding OGW?

Anyway, I doubt this leak is real, most probably someone just got a hold of the art and slapped together some cards. New players would absolutely not get this new mana symbol (it's a color like the other ones but colorless? what?), and it would introduce a lot of new complexity for very little gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha dude at gp has a teferi out and casts a keranos at his main phase instead of flashing it in at his opponents end step, opening him up to path to exile and celestial purge and whatnot. i know everyone makes especially after a long day, but it's interesting to see that this kind of stuff happens at the top tables

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think this will be very hard to explain to certain casual players, that's my biggest concern with the mechanic. It will probably be easier to explain to someone who has never played magic before, but to people who play very occasionally it might be tough.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Could be. Either way this is no big deal. Another thing that irks me about this is that it came out with in a small set, so when you draft, you'll have stuff like Kozilek's Channeler, who adds (2) to your mana pool and then some other thing from OGW that adds {C}{C}. This just seems very inelegant.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Which goon was it that had the cool playmat designs they were selling? Like urza utilities and siege rhino security. Need to buy a secret santa gift.

i think you can get those at inkedplaymats.com

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That's why they use "If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend" in some cards to avoid that.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That new commentator guy is nervous as hell, hope manages to relax a little bit.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Holy poo poo Reality Smasher looks busted. I've been testing that mono black modern eldrazi deck and the deck owns owns owns, it just eats every fair deck up and has a lot of game against a lot of combo decks too. Anyway it looks like it'll be great in that deck. A turn 3 5/5 haste that protects itself, what's not to like

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Entropic posted:

Is that a list for that up somewhere? What's it useing for mana acceleration?

I based my list off of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20KP-ozNTc
I cut the slaughter pacts for a night's whisper and a go for the throat, and added some darkblasts and ruin processors to the sideboard (the ruin processors could very well be wrong).

This deck eats up any kind of midrange deck and laughs at tasigurs, goyfs and snapcasters. The discard gives it game against combo decks, the fetchable ghost quarters give you game against tron. Burn/zoo is tough and so is affinity and merfolk, but they don't feel like unwinnable matchups. You can sometimes draw the wrong half of your deck, but that only matters against decks with a fast clock.

You can splash white or red, but I think the consistency of having 4 urborgs and 4 eye of ugin in the mono black version is the way to go.

Also yeah, Reality Smasher is going to give it extra game against a lot of decks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm onboard with Reality Smasher as a Standard staple but IDK if it's as good in modern... What bad match ups is it helping you with?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I just feel that a 5/5 trample haste that protects itself and can be cast off of 2 or 3 lands might be good in modern. I was thinking it might be good against decks that want to durdle forever (although you can usually just ulamog those decks) or decks that want to chump your stuff forever (lingering souls decks, etc.)

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 6, 2016

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Those are your good matchups though, no?
Yes. The reason I'm excited for it isn't because I see it slotting into an existing deck perfectly, but because it seems generally powerful with the eldrazi lands. Anyway, just something to keep an eye out for.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Not to mention that they have access to decklists, so you can always say "The Griselbrand that's in his deck" just in case there was a new version of Griselbrand printed that you missed out on or something.

Honestly this is pretty funny, I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I was testing an eldrazi aggro build and I just had the most funny nut draw ever:

Turn 1: Eye of Ugin, 2x Eldrazi Mimic
Turn 2: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, take a card from opponent's hand and attack for 8
Turn 3: Ghost Quarter, Reality Smasher, attack for 19

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sure. This is a very rough draft and it probably needs a lot of work, but the idea is to have curve-outs like those as often as possible. Not sure about Oblivion Sowers since they don't really ramp you into anything much, but I like it that they're 5/8s and you can often cast a sower, get some lands and then cast another eldrazi in the same turn.

4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Relic of Progenitus
1 Expedition Map
2 Oblivion Sower
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Dismember
3 Eye of Ugin
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Eldrazi Temple
3 Swamp
2 Warping Wail
2 Mind Stone
4 Blight Herder
3 Caves of Koilos
SB: 2 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 Darkblast
SB: 4 Vampiric Link
SB: 1 Pithing Needle
SB: 2 Tectonic Edge
SB: 1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
SB: 1 Duress

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The eldrazi scion tokens are great, can't wait to vomit out a stack of them with Blight Herder

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't figure out how to incorporate Thought Knot Seer into the Eldrazi deck. I think it goes in Mono-B best but I'm not sure?

This is my build, I think it's working pretty great so far. You just can't lose against any type of non-aggro, non-combo deck. You can get some clunky draws, but that was possible before too.

4 Oblivion Sower
4 Blight Herder
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
4 Wasteland Strangler
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Relic of Progenitus
2 Scrabbling Claws
2 Dismember
2 Go for the Throat
2 Mind Stone
3 Expedition Map
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Eye of Ugin
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Ghost Quarter
1 Bojuka Bog
7 Swamp
4 Thought-Knot Seer
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
SB: 2 Ruin Processor
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
SB: 2 Thoughtseize
SB: 1 All Is Dust
SB: 2 Flaying Tendrils
SB: 2 Night of Souls' Betrayal
SB: 2 Vampiric Link
SB: 1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's something to do on turn 2 and it can cycle later if you are flooded. You have a lot of 5 drops and 6 drops, and sometimes you don't draw the best combination of lands (because you can't run 8 eldrazi temple), so it can just give you that 5th or 6th mana one turn earlier. You can also play scrabbling claws and relic of progenitus off of it the turn you play it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Have Reality Smasher and Though-Knot made an appearance yet? It feels like all they're showing is rally mirrors and azban/esper

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Their match selection is horrible. First game was something like abzan vs esper dragon and second or third was a rally mirror.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha there's a sweet new mono green eldrazi deck but let's show two players we've already seen playing decks we've also already seen multiple times

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lol at the eldrazi player just chugging a gallon container of water

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah who would have thought, reprinting very expensive cards at rare makes them affordable but still valuable, hire me also wizards

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Anyone else got the game day jori en promo? That things looks sick, such a sweet foil, and a cool card too. Well that's my opinion

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah there's drafts.in, etc. I'm interested why someone who opens up a lot of mtgo packs doesn't just record what's in them, that way I think it would be possible to get a good approximation of the collation of the packs (i.e. the print runs).

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

the only good ending would have been that the eldrazi win, zendikar loses, and the avengers make an oath not to let that happen again. it's so obvious ...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah like anyone is surprised. It's been obvious for a long time that while their stated stance is that they don't care about the secondary market, they actually do. They reprint chase cards sparingly so that they can sell more packs down the road.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

that is uh

not entirely accurate?

like that is a no poo poo thing to say because they are a business whose model is based around selling packs, but also they've been ins anely open about how they don't want to accidentally do Chronicles 2.0 with the resultant backlash
That's true too, but I think that whether they don't reprint cards as much because they're afraid of chronicles 2.0 or because they want to keep their reprint equity doesn't really matter. I think they're doing an OK job with the reprints. They could be a little more aggressive in reprinting cards, but it's understandable why they don't want their value to drop. I just think that $60 dollar goyfs will sell packs just as much as $100 goyfs, with the added benefit of allowing more people to play the game at a competitive level and getting them addicted to this crap.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm hoping for a setting that's not a revisit or a fantasy version of some actual historical time and place (like theros)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

So Vryn or Kaladesh would be OK?
Yeah, although I'm hoping Kaladesh doesn't turn out to be just "steampunk india"

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also why are they showing merfolk vs eldrazi for the first three rounds? it seems like they really love showing the same matchup over and over again, this always happens

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah I was surprised by this too, this is like a textbook rules advisor test example on how SBA's work.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

That's what happens when you use duel deck or MM/MM2 foils that get super loving warped.

idk my duel deck oblivion sowers aren't warped at all, it seems to me that their foiling process is superior to normal foils these days

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Modern has a core problem- the answers are worse than the threats. Being reactive in modern has been a losing strategy before eldrazi were printed.
Agreed, this is the main problem of modern. What happens the next time when some very good deck shows up and modern still doesn't have any good answers? Ban everything but Siege Rhino?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

well first of all Ulamog is indestructible and so you can't kill him with fire, only -X/-X effects and exile. secondly

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

uhhh Teferi is basically Michael Jordan so he is the coolest actually:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I like this discussion because I like saying the word "Oubliette", I think it's cool.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nah, each trigger creates its own delayed trigger, which then trigger at the same time

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

They could maybe do a rule like "if an ability from the day side of a DFC would cause it to transform to its day side, nothing happens instead". The game tracks permanents as sources of abilities, so something like this could work, I think?

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 6, 2016

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That would mess up like, the whole rules system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Even then they didn't just come out and say "Memory Jar is now banned", but they announced that it would be banned in a month or something. The B&R dates makes it so players know they'll get to play with their cards for at least some time, instead of having their decks banned just as they're going to take them to FNM or a larger event.

• Locked thread