Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh neat, some rules technology being added to the back of a 20yo game and the grognards don't like it. It's clunky as-is and I'd rather a fresh start for magic where this could be better implemented but oh well. Works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is that the guy who made space: the convergence? I liked that and regret never getting the full high-red renders before they were taken down.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The interesting thing about this game mechanic is really if WOTC can manage to actually use it well, since this mechanic already exists as void will in force of will. So far FOW really hasn't done much with it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kizudarake posted:

Would wastes mean it's possible to deal 6 with tribal flames?

No dude, the only reason they're doing this is to expand on game mechanics that have been there from the start but haven't been so clearly defined or manipulated.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Well I guess that makes my decision of whether I'm going or not easy. Good, I didn't actually want to play but I know I would have.

This is a common thing I see about this hobby. I mostly see it with my friends who started grinding seriously and feel like they have something to prove. You don't have to play this game. If it's not fun, back away and come back to it later - if at all. Don't turn into one of those joyless dudes who feel obligated to do events. That's why we have "that guy."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

drat. Would've been real fun to see event registration be the hot new spec!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Recess Rapist posted:

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?
:feelsgood: i spend or trade magic for board games instead. I actually just got this sweet eurogame called Orleans! It almost got the Kennerspiel des Jahres this year. I think the only money I spend on magic now is a $15 draft and $5 constructed at the beginning of every semester and just ride the store credit until the end.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looking forward to some angry tweets from the ~pros~ about how modern is bad. *continues playing a format they hate*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please reprint and allow FOW in modern. I have extras of it that are sitting around unused. Also this means Jund/RUB control get better with thought seizes. :evilbuddy:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I place my creatures behind my lands to make sure they don't accidentally get shipped by touching each other.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

And then Jace tenderly sat his rear end on the dildo strapped to the his life sized pillow with a picture of Liliana on it before realizing he had spoken four words.

Please don't attempt to retcon Jace as a like able character.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Punshing Rock isn't anything that new though. :confused:

Sadly we can't call this Punishing my junk since we can't have fun names anymore.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

The color wheel is exactly what the game designers and writers need it to be at any given time.

Here is a white card with a 1BB cost.
:agreed:
We really need a pic similar to that of batman being all nine alignments. (Plz no Jace)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sigma-X posted:

They're given away as cool one-off collectible type things, not so idiots can poorly chop them up and sell them at a premium.

Gotta say the real people you should be laughing at are those who buy them. I think they look like butt.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Nobody ever comes to Pittsburgh. :sigh:

I will continue going there for large X wang tournaments for as long as Roy keeps hosting them. Love that guy. MNGG has a great inventory of board games too. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

If you ban Batterskull would SF see all that much play in Modern? I doubt it...

I'm more afraid of SFM pulling a Jitte than batterskull in legacy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Didn't hear about the Fabiano story before but glad he got a temp ban. Friend played him at a GP before and we were sure he was cheating then too but only after the game and after my friend told us the story.

Magical wizard drama is the best. it's like reading Harry Potter books 4-6 all over again but with man children. :3:

Admiral posted:

Shameless plug time!

I posted a link a while back to my playmat designs on Inked, and I've since made a lot of them available (plus some extras) as t-shirts and hoodies on RedBubble. Gitaxian Investments & Securities is one that isn't available as a playmat, and the newest design is Oblivion Sewing & Alterations. If you're looking for a cheap MTG related Christmas present for someone - these might do the trick. =0)

Could you make more of these stickers? Specifically snap caster and Al's demolition. Tia.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral posted:

No problem, will be done by tonight. =0)

Thanks. I'm also glad you made the tiny changes suggested from before and amended the http to reflect their sets. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Force of will already has this system. This is just catching up to design space that's already present. It's good game design and it works.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm just looking forward to the broken legacy card that uses <> in a format of wastelands and cities of traitors, forcing them to dial back the effects and taking away the nice things again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Exactly. They'll ban the fun cards. Delve was fine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Hope they print a Mishra's Wasteshop, that taps for ♦♦♦ and can only be spent to cast colourless spells.

Hell ya this would go well with the workshop in my EDH deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There should be a mana leak that requires <><>/<> to be paid. Because tron is cool and good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's really gonna blow people's minds is when 2/<> becomes an optional cost.

I guess if you can't wrap your heads around this concept magic just isn't the game for you :smug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

This, except unironically.

Same. Grogs are gonna be grogs when it comes to good design space that hasn't been used yet - at least in this game.

Seriously guys it's as basic as wanting to have a <><> mana leak or having <>/(2) costs. It's not hard. Maybe it'll get people to play more colorless lands in modern.

The colorless purchase and creation mismatch was something I struggled with early on. This just closes that hole.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh neat I didn't think to use 🔷♦️🔶 symbol on my phone. Could even use ⤵️↪️↩️ for tap/untap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ramos posted:

In the realm of absolutely loving weird, my friend showed me this recent post on the competitive magic reddit. I don't know, I'm not sure if it's really notable, it's just odd. I'd have a crack at what the encrypted message is, but I'm currently at work.

So I see MTGOX has actually come around full circle. :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would enjoy playing stacks in standard. Much different experience than these dumb play whatever big creature you want kinds of standard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

I don't understand why you'd make any Magic game that wasn't very closely tied to the TCG mechanics, because it seems like most of the selling points for MTG reside in the familiarity and appeal of those mechanics (whether the mechanics are good on an objective level is, of course, debatable). Once you move it into something that plays substantially differently, you're trying to compete against other potential fictional universes on the basis of characters and setting features, and I don't think MTG matches up very favorably.

To look at it another way, there's a big reason why fans making custom card sets based on other genres or properties (Space: The Convergence, Star Wars, etc.) is way more visibly popular than fanmade d20/FATE/whatever hacks for the Magic setting, to the extent that I don't think I've ever heard of the latter. Not to say they've never existed.

Yeah it's weird. As you know in the other thread, but others here might not, 40k gets a huge boost of popularity every single time a non-tabletop implementation of the game is made. They all play wildly differently from the /tg version. But that's cuz it thrives on its setting. Magic essentially does the same thing as 40k, but it uses staggered implementation of pop culture instead of a continuous one. That's probably its biggest flaw there wrt IP consciousness. You could probably grow the IP to the likes of 40k if you started caring about Legacy/Vintage, where all these pop culture universes are constant, and making it the main game but WOTC clearly doesn't want to do that. Also they'd have to revisit Kamigawa and make it much more ^___^ kawaii sugoi with ninja, samurai, and tons of geisha only.

Though now I wonder how popular those funko pop bobbleheads and action figures are. If magic has any sort of IP usefulness outside of the game, those would sell. I've only ever seen them sit on a shelf for months, but that's anecdotal.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NivMizzet posted:

I find it funny that "Hearthstone" is censored on the Magic stream now.

Odd, since hearthstone would be a perfect name for an artifact.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

But it isn't baggage. Stuff taps for colorless all the time.

:agreed: I do think it's important that people clearly delineate between "colorless" and "generic." Generic mana and its costs is what any source of mana can create. Colorless is not. People are getting tripped up by this simple thing. It's really weird.

In addition to fun new counters that require you to pay in <>, they can start using it for sweet kicker-style bonuses too. It's a whole lot of space, people. FOW barely tapped its potential.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

It's actually really smart to the point I don't get why it wasn't in BFZ over dumb Devoid.

It looks and feels like it changes the game while in reality not doing anything new at all.

The only upside I see is that you would be able to find all your good colorless spells early on in draft and have support for them later with BFZ. Like maybe the +0/+1 buffer dude becomes actually useful. The funniest thing is if this, combined with the dumb 2HG gimmick, means both standard and draft decline in popularity while modern and legacy too expensive gets more popular.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Death Bot posted:

Anecdata yeah, but I got the impression this was already happening with 700 dollar standard decks?

For standard, yeah. Right now I've seen people shifting to draft if they don't have modern decks. This might be a funny 3-8 shot if it dunks draft too. OTOH, decrease in player turnout might mean a later "surge" in numbers again. Bright side! :D

E: 1-2 seems p light. 3-8 seems more appropriate

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 12, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

it'll be interesting seeing who likes the emphasis on multiplayer and who doesn't cause then we can easily tell the people without irl friends

Key word is emphasis. Just like EDH, this game was not made to be a 3+ player endeavor. Perhaps try Caverna or Campaign for North Africa? The latter takes 10 players with estimated time for a game totaling 1200 hours. Lots of bonding time in there IMO. :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Four Score posted:

Now that we're doing Legacy reprints, Wasteland feels flavorful :getin:

That would be great! Taps for colorless mana to help cast that foil Kozilek you also got in your sealed pool! :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

The Expedition At The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale.

Oh I hope so. I love my OG tabernacle but the colors are so faded.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saw this while scrolling through my feed. Four likes, the saddest app. I try to click on the one friend that downloaded it so I can laugh at them but can't. :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Voyager I posted:

So the penalty for obvious cheating is that if you get caught the Judge stops you?

You have to do it several times but sometimes if you out yourself by catching it and calling the judge over, when the opponent had no clue, you can sometimes get the DQ right then and there! :D

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can't decide if going on a tectonic edge expedition instead of a wasteland one is more feels-bad than getting the new crowdland instead of flooded strand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mandatory lesbian posted:

third post just to say that i'm surprised Strip Mine isn't on the reserve list
Same. I was surprised tabernacle was on it and strip mine wasn't. Also the worst part is that mishra's workshop is on it too so we're stuck with the really bad art for that one.

Rinkles posted:

Where does Strip Mine land on that scale?
Low. It's better in EDH.

• Locked thread