Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Someone should rewrite the OP because mentioning Apprentice and Duels of the Planeswalkers without mentioning XMage/Cockatrice and Magic Duels is kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I admit I haven't played online Magic in years and don't know any of these newfangled programs. Got links and details?

Just link the latest version of Shandalar because it's the magic video game with the best UI.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GeneX posted:

And, you know, the actual wizards site

Please don't troll us without imitating flavor text.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'd definitely play that Kozilek in Standard ramp, since searching that out with Sanctum after casting Ulamog, and drawing 4-6 cards, sounds sweet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

black potus posted:

remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and then put memory jar in it

Remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and then put Hangerback Walker into it?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and forgot to push enchantments?

Don't worry they remembered eventually at the last moment so enchantments were good for like three months.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Origins also had thopter spy network and other artifact-matters cards, so I'm not sure what the point is. They were both subthemes of the set.

It was a subtheme that was more supported in Origins than in Born of the Gods.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

So spoiler talk aside. I've stumbled onto the makings of a fun little format when trying to teach draft archetypes for BFZ.

40 card decks. Up to two of a common, uncommons are singleton. All cards must come from a single draftable pool (in this case BFZ) It's really caught on with the local playgroup AND improved their BFZ drafting.

If you were to attend a battle of the drafts tournament which was open to all legal sets from Onslaught out, what would you bring?

Innistrad would be incredible, since you get every power uncommon for the mill deck and a guaranteed Spider Spawning + Memory's Journey + Runic repetition, plus two each of Mulch, Dream Twist, Forbidden Alchemy, Gnaw to the Bone, and Armored Skaab. Aggro decks don't appreciate it when you pay 2G to gain 14 life.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Recess Rapist posted:

Is disconnecting with a lethal spell on the stack a salty move? Opponent cheerfully wished me good luck and then left before Rolling Thunder resolved.

Not only is it salty and hilarious, it's also bannable. Submit a ticket to support and get them a time out to either stop them from pulling that kind of crap again, or hopefully soliciting a funny and angry tirade from them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I just drafted cube and have managed to build a deck with 3 creatures in the sideboard and zero in the main. In a cube where the gimmick is "bunch of EDH creatures". Good times.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

How'd you go?

Also post screen cap plz.

Sure thing.

e: sideboard alternate win condition:

also Time of Need is a card I should have read before playing it.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 22, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

bhsman posted:

Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

long story short dude imitated the WotC commentary booth by commentating on the match he's currently playing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

What's a fair cost for a 0/1 with B: put a +1/+1 counter on ~?

Well, Jenara has slightly more strenuous color requirements, and cost 1W to buff, but starts out as a 3/3 and has flying. 2B with B: +1/+1 counter wouldn't be excessive in most recent standard formats.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

What makes killer bees green, though? While green does have spiders, which sometimes have deathtouch, I'm pretty sure deathtouch insects have been way more of a black thing over the course of the game. Black certainly gets all the scorpions.

If there's a card named "King of the Beasts" I would assume that card would be green since it fits in green's focus on nature. Hornet Queen is the master of all the hornets, which I feel is green. Also it being green is good for the cube ramp deck, and reanimator doesn't care what color it is, so it's better for the game's best format that Hornet Queen is green.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Apparently at some point recently Wizards instituted some auto-filter for swears in the MTGO chat but it also carries over to the game log. And the list of words they censor is weird. So now "The Rack" is "The ****" and Chief of the Edge of all things is "***** of the Edge."

MTGO is a hilariously terrible program. You also cannot make new columns in the deckbuilder, even in draft, unless you drag a card to the sideboard then back to the maindeck in an empty column.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mikujin posted:

PSA: Never, ever, ever play Arcane Denial against a control deck. It just won't end well for you. (Deny my removal spell? Ok, I drew two more.)

Naw, you Arcane Denial your own spell in response to your opponent's Counterspell. That tends to end well.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

They should do this all the time.

Yes they should. They don't because that would be fun, and MTGO can never be allowed to be fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Serperoth posted:

If anyone from Wizards is reading this: I'd drop money on your online product during this coming holiday season, if its reputation and your apparent attention to it weren't such as they are now.

No joke, I was very close to just dropping $700 and buying into Vintage/Legacy on MTGO. I started grabbing duals, forces and JTMS by liquidating a bunch of my old pauper junk...and then they killed Legacy and Vintage events. So that was nice of them.

I cannot bring myself to put money into MTGO to get into a new format now because I'm less than 10% confident that I'll actually be able to play with the cards I buy. They're handling MTGO as badly as they possibly can.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

here's a post not about spoilers: why is every Kozilek brood card red in BFZ when his card steals from blue mechanics

maybe they're just moving away from us really fast

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Zoness posted:

To be fair, my doctor prescribed me doing that. One a day, etc.

Your doctor took a life insurance policy out on you, ignore their prescription before it kills you.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

if you two dont quiet down back there im going to turn this goddamn spoiler season right the gently caress around.

You're bluffing :colbert:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

always be closing posted:

Helene is not really that great at her job, she does the bare minimum, and is lauded for it.

Most of the rest of WotC's efforts are at or below the bare minimum - having someone high up on the tournament organization totem pole who can act and speak like a human being who is competent at their job is more than I've come to expect. Helene is great compared to everyone around her.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

It's utterly baffling that this extremely popular nerd game has an absurdly bad web client.

Actually it has several absurdly bad web clients, it's just that two of them are actual Hasbro products and should have every resource required to succeed, and the others are fan projects. It also has a very good single player game that came out in literally 1997 and is vastly more playable than anything more recent.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I got like three paragraphs in and thought to myself, man is this guy going to go all out and give some random kid a bunch of decks and dice and stuff for Christmas? And then I looked at the username and said out loud "oh it's MTGS yeah no gently caress those guys."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

black potus posted:

i got turkish food w/ lsv this week incl some delish coffee and i can confirm he is a smug rear end mother fucker

black potus posted:

the lamb shank was very good though, and not smug

look at this smug bastard

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Speaking of Magic Duels, the server is currently unavailable. Yay?

That was my experience trying to play Duels a few months ago. I just couldn't be bothered when the server shits out frequently, when some quests needed you to play multiplayer and good luck getting 4 people to stay connected, and sometimes quests would just break and never get completed and I cannot be bothered to message your support to get this poo poo resolved I'm going back to Shandalar.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

So Magic Duels is better the Magic Online?

Yes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ramos posted:

We seem to be missing a card in Elyv's list.

I wish this was a common - pauper Goblins's best card is Goblin Bushwhacker, and a second Bushwhacker would be bananas.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You don't play Skullclamp in limited just to sac your 1/1 creatures - why would you play bad cards just to turn Skullclamp on? You clamp up your 2/2s to make them into unblockable 3/1s that your opponent can't trade with or remove without getting swiftly outcarded, then move it over to another 2/2 to have a 3/1 blocker that your opponent can't attack into. Skullclamp is sick.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

You can make the point without watching an excruciating untimed Jim Davis game by just watching his turn here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HirpqHGtI-c

He starts his turn at 13:30 and declares attackers at 19:30.

Yeah that's just not an acceptable pace of play.

Sickening posted:

I get that these matches aren't timed, but warnings should have been made. That was embarrassing from the judges.

That was a regular timed match, 50 minute round. Strangely, they were in the draw bracket.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Niton posted:

Anthrax and Cyanide

Ajax and Cyamede.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

there's 500 unread posts i'm not going through but is there any reason why gaddock teeg is now like $45 dollars?

what the gently caress is going on

Terribly executed buyout.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

1 mana Azure Mage? Whole lotta LSV drafts are gonna start with that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

and I'm still mad you can't play it as your commander

If your playgroup won't let you play with it as your commander (with a black color identity) then gently caress them. It isn't good in any way and can only be more fun that whatever other bullshit MBC commander you were going to run.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I do a cube draft, win the first round in 10 minutes, and figure hey, I'll go play some Pauper league. Play my match, takes 18 minutes, and go back to my cube oh hey I lost due to timeout. Apparently the game started behind my MTGO main screen and didn't bother to pop up an alert in my task bar or in the bottom corner. Good times.

didn't want to play this deck anyway god drat I hate MTGO so much why is it such a horrible program.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I figured out a rule that will not only prevent people from playing off-color fetchlands, but also drastically cut down on shuffling.

Ban fetchlands. Ban the Onslaught/Khans ones, ban the Zendikar ones, ban the Mirage ones. Ban Panaramas, Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving WIlds just to send a message. Problem solved.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

There were a couple weeks where paper commons were legal online - Hymn and Sinkhole, High Tide, Goblin Grenade and Guerrilla Tactics. That was a fun couple of weeks.

rabidsquid posted:

Oh yeah, I thought Cloud was banned but it isn't. It just fell off the face of the earth when Cloudpost got banned.

Familiar Storm is almost certainly the best deck online, it just takes a ton of effort and it isn't that much better to be worth the hassle. Also Delver into Cloud of Faeries into Spellstutter Sprite is hard to beat for most decks.

Ban Cloud of Faeries and also Delver.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I mean there's got be some sweet cantrip-based Surge support for limited, right?

Bone Saw is your support. Taste it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

How loving smug is this guy

Imagine how good his dad jokes are going to be.

"good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

Weaons Trainer looks cyberpunk as heck. Wait no, dungeonpunk. Also where is he standing, what are those clouds doing.

I think those clouds are just the artist not wanting to bother drawing a background.

• Locked thread