Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm pretty sure every time in the history of Magic when a card was spoiled with high-quality new art, it has turned out real. I don't think there's a possible way to have that Kozilek art unless you hacked Briclot's computer, so they're probably real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Someone posted Kozilek on Aleksi Briclot's Facebook and asked if it was his art.

Aleksi Briclot's Facebook posted:

It seems to me reality is (not) greatly distorted right now...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I recall the fable of the Falkreath Embermage. It was an obviously fake piece of poo poo due to its absurd power level, but it used Flames of Undeath's art.

That's a different case, though, Flames of Undeath's art had already been spoiled, as far as I can remember.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

jassi007 posted:

They never comment on leaks. The one and only time they did was when the whole godbook got leaked, people got banned for it and that was the reason why. Even then I'm not sure they made a statement on it beforehand. They don't publically acknowledge leaks because it just encourages it.

Maro also wrote two different articles about the leaked Timeshifted card and their lawsuit against rancored_elf.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is no-banlist Affinity better than no-banlist Jeskai Ascendancy? Doing No Holds Barred Modern in a few weeks and forgot about the couple of weeks I had to deal with that deck.

Play Hypergenesis.

Edit- lol

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 4, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

I'm kinda annoyed that it's just the symbol for colourless mana. I liked there just being numbers for colourless. I guess who ever called the number in the circle becoming "any mana" is right.

I am still going to assume though that anything with a mana cost that specifically contains a ♦ symbol can only be paid with a ♦ and not coloured mana.

Well... duh? That's literally the entire point.

Also it makes perfect sense to make it a symbol and not a number. When you tap something that gives two of a colored mana, it's WW/UU/BB/RR/GG. Why wouldn't it also be the same for colorless?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Wow it's really cool to see so many people from R&D in here posting spoilers from future sets!!!
I think it's pretty silly that you've now 100% confirmed that ♦️will never be in any set but this one and errata'ing lands to include it will never ever have a reason!

Seriously, if you think that they'd change how colorless mana is represented just for one set you are off of your rocker.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like turning (1) into ♦ is really needlessly loving with stuff that new players may not easily grasp all for the sake of a gimmick that's way less cool than they think.

Everything about the Eldrazi this go around feels very "yeah, so?"

Actually no, it makes it 100% easier for newer players because no one is going to ask if the {3} in a mana cost means you need something that taps for {3} or three things that tap for {1} exactly.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 7, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I was thinking before, and maybe colored basics will be getting "t: add {x} to your mana pool" back on them now with the introduction of ♦️, I'd be all for that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Zoness posted:

nah man drafting snow basics in coldsnap was the best, only second to picking up every copy of surging sentinels and surging dementia or krovikian mists.

First pick R/G snow land second third fourth pick Ronom Hulk was awesome.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

God drat, Boreal Druid is so good now. Can't wait for Snow Emrakul.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Zoness posted:

I agree, Simian Spirit Guide doesnt look very good in the context of the leaked cards.

People went loving nuts when this card was spoiled.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

did it see a lot of play when it first came out? how long did it take people to realize it and goblin charbelcher were good friends

I believe it got played in Dragonstorm, but not much else. I think as soon as it was spoiled people figured out it could be used in Belcher, but I honestly can't remember. All I remember is the MTGS thread was gigantic about people saying it was the second coming of Christ and saying it's unplayable trash (I guess that describes every Magic thread...)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy poo poo the Magic TV shows. How did I not know about this before, it's loving hilarious.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Chalks posted:

I glad this guy was so thorough in redacting the chat so we didn't know he was talking to DaveHesterYUUP.

Lmao

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Wow is this the first good Punisher card???

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Madmarker posted:

I am aware crux isn't a punisher, I was just using that as an example of one of the roles this card attempts to fill, that are better filled in constructed by other cards.

It is a worse Wrath/creature removal than Crux.

As a black finisher, well Tasigur and Gurmag both exist already.

The only thing it really has going for it is discard, but a 5 mana discard spell tends to be pretty poor anyway.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't talking about playable in anything but limited I just meant good, period. Like when you look at that card you don't go "wow another lovely punisher card, cool."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

no comment

That is the worst coloring job I have ever seen. It looks like they took a colored market and filled them in.

His artist needs to be fired and he needs to get that thing touched up by someone who knows what they are doing.

Edit- oh god the inner circle of the white mana is SO BAD,

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

This thread whining #mtgfinance about things clearly not related to mtg finance is getting about as exhausting as arguing with mcmagic
-Someone who cares about #mtgfinance

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Bor-bor-ig-mos

This is correct

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Colorless is awesome, yeah. It adds a great layer to the whole limited experience; you have to think about it during deckbuilding, then think about it as you play.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

everyone is bc the media explicitly reported it as "haha look at this dumb bitch" instead of "oh poo poo this lady had loving burns and the coffee was actually super above what it was supposed to be at"

It's one of the easiest examples to show just how much corporations can brainwash the general public.

Like, people who use that as an example are defending McDonalds over a woman who required reconstructive surgery because they decided to keep their coffee way too hot.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Kickstarter a MTG anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWPqFWe4Zw

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

okay this can't be an official thing this has more effort in it then anything i've ever seen from a trailer

It was, and it was the most hype poo poo I had ever seen in my life when I was 12.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

:justpost:

Everything about your store's relationship with WotC is tied to your WPN status, which you build up by having more/bigger events. One of the stores in the small town I used to live in gave away a booster box effectively, doing a free draft for anyone who signed up and showed up to put him over to the next level.

Everything from # of promos (for all events), # of pre-release kits, amount of limited release stuff, and even general release stuff when there are supply issues is driven by your WPN status. This is why WotC gives a poo poo, not because of PWPs. This guy totally knows what he was doing and that's why he's begging Sickening to recant rather than going to WotC and saying "I didn't know the difference" because he totally did and they will call him on his bullshit.

I have zero love for scummy stores like this because the kinds of people who will cheat the WotC WPN are the same kinds of people who will sell their FNM promos/BaB promos online instead of giving them out.

Yeah, the first store I went to FNM for did not follow the rules for giving out FNM promos and would only give one out between the top three people, and you'd have to roll a die to see who gets it. Then of course they would sell the rest.

Thankfully we got a few people to report him and they got their poo poo taken away, they were massive scumbags.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Pro Tour Gauntlet to let players try top Pro Tour Modern decks on MTGO

6 tix, random deck that did well in the PT. Sounds like an actual good idea in MTGO!

Going to play so many of these

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Elyv posted:

I watched the first 20 seconds of this and then stopped because I'm not interested in someone being deliberately wrong over and over.

Please watch the rest.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So does anyone know what happened with Efro and CFB? He's been posting some status updates talking about how he isn't interested in Magic really anymore professionally and something happened between him and people he thought were friends.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Where? His Twitter looks normal.

https://www.facebook.com/EFroPoker/posts/10102528803499326?pnref=story

quote:

At that point a little over 24 hours before the Pro Tour where my head legitimately hurts from staring at a computer screen 17 hours per day too often, so it's gonna slow down from here on out. Feel good about what I've accomplished. Think I've done a good job of solving Limited formats for some time now and hoping this is no different. I'm pretty proud of myself and generally content with everything, which isn't something I anticipated.

Pretty common throughout my life to associate far more value to the Pro Tour and my finish than I ever should. In the end, it really doesn't matter. It's a tournament that has a ton of variance, so doing the best I can is all that matters. I'm certainly upset at how much respect I've lost for a number of people I really cared a lot about, and that's a horrible feeling for anyone to experience, but the tournament itself is going to be good. The results are so far away from defining my life and myself anymore, and that's a pretty fantastic place to be. Win or lose, I get to go home to the girls I love, Athena and Honey, and my life is going to continue being great.

But I would also love to do well! 6-0 in draft one time??

And he wasn't on the CFB team at the GP.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hearing them tell the story I kinda wish one of them would have said "nah gently caress this" and left when they were taking the Oath, it would have made for much better storytelling.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Wastes are good and Colorless mana was a good idea.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So at Worlds 2005 in NYC, me and my friend did an Urzas sealed event. When it was done I put the cards in the tournament pack box, put them in another box, and basically haven't looked at them since.

I was just going through them again to see if I missed something worth anything, and then I flip to the back where I put the rares. What do I see? Metalworker :getin:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Hahaha LSV has a framed Goblinslide print behind him now

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Elyv posted:

someone photoshop a stone haven outfitter or weapons trainer with 6 bone saws tia

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

LSV is doing a Champions draft if anyone wants to watch an amazing limited format.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

odiv posted:

I can't imagine how frustrating 4 player would be online. I can barely stomach my own bad play, thanks.

Just watch a commander game in one of the multiplayer rooms at some point, it looks like absolute hell to play.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mcmagic posted:

May FNM Promo. YAWN

That art is loving awful.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So that game right there is why I hate jitte.

Edit: Also god drat van meter and his buddy are awful.

Edit 2: did I just hear correctly that some idiot pro player buys sheets of cards to have them miscut of purpose? Wtf

Lots of people do that, it's really dumb.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Only a month to go, mercifully. The fetchlands and battlelands were a really dumb mistake by development, in my opinion.
It always cracks me up when they gently caress mana bases for standard up. Last time it was this bad was with the Storage Lands and Vivid Lands in the same Standard.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ah, yes, one of Magic's greatest lore characters, Momir Vig, Simic Visiionary.

What an iconic card that... he uh.... does something with +1/+1 counters probably, right?

Oh, okay. Because I'm sure everyone is clamoring for a superfoil version of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I just don't really see how you would describe Momir Vig as one of the iconic cards/characters from Magic Lore, especially not the one I would use to preview the Lore FTV.

But EDH is stupid and I don't play it so maybe Momir really is iconic outside of MTGO.

• Locked thread