Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

If enablers keep showing up the way they have so far, fiery temper is going to be a great card. Really surprising it is at common even given WOTC stance on good removal being at least uncommon lately.

Nahiri doesn't seem all that good right now. The plus isn't a great turn 4 line of play unless there is some zero cmc madness costs. I feel like the creature part of the -2 could have had a restriction but still have been better. Instead of tapped it could have had a power/toughness restriction or something similar. That way it stays flexible and doesn't just become a better bobby nixon. I just don't see how someone could play her over a more efficient madness enabler or strictly more powerful, specialized card.

Then I am grateful they designed a planeswalker that is flexible instead of a 4 auto include in every deck running her colors. She isn't bad, because she can be removal, or, like people are saying, a madness trigger. Depending on other removal in the white and red realm, I can see people running 2 of her.

I don't think she will be played for her -8, but people probably will run 1 fatty just in case they do hit 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who thinks these no spell casting flip werewolves are god awful.
It is one thing to play and land a skip your turn to flip a card, but to have that counteracted by your opponent playing the game in any shape or form is bogus.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

The new delver

I'm going to try to make this work in my Standard U/R Prowness deck, which isn't tier one in the current format, but I'm hoping it may move up in tier by other cards rotating out.

This card gives a creature +1/+1 for a turn, and solves the biggest problem U/R prowess faces which is single target creature removal. It plays so few attacking creatures that when one of them dies it is really hard to recover from. This completely solves that by giving you a 3/4 to deal with after.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

End of Life Guy posted:

This mother fucker here is saying Evolving Wilds is constructed playable with a playset in each of the three decklists : http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32652_Dragons-In-New-Standard.html

Is mana getting that bad? I mean, any change is going to make things worse than now, but will it be playsets of Evolving Wilds kinds of bad?

Maybe for three color decks, but two color will be fine with the battle lands, hand lands, and pain lands.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Highlights of the pre-release was beating a guy 2-0 who had 2 Startled awakes. Second game I was down to 1 card in my library. Luckily I never saw two of them.

Went 4-0 and we split the pot.
Played a red blue heavy aggro deck with two nephalia Moondrakes for late game.

All of the blue draw has you discard a card, which just allowed me to play madness. This set is a blast in limited.

Edit: Also never saw an opponent once flip a werewolf.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deckit posted:

Didn't look at the set before hand. Made a sweet Investigate deck and killed people with the 1-mana cost spell that buffs a dude for how many clues you have. 10/10 for this set, would clue again.

You lived the dream.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

I'm not suuuper sure this set is "great" for sealed non-draft play.

I didn't think about it too hard before hand but when I got my pity pack for going 0-4 (learning is the important thing, right?) I got 3 mythics. In one loving pack. I think the pack packer was drunk, but I got a Gitrog, Foil whatever the Hydra is (oh well) and Startled Awake in the same pack.

I also don't understand the sorting because I got an uncommon flip after the first mythic for a grand total of 8 common, 4 uncommon, 3 mythic in one pack. They're all garbage mythics I suppose but it's kinda weird how the magic sorting machine gets to throw that second flip card in there which can really unbalance your stuff. It explains how a guy I played against seemed to have hit a LOT of bombs if he had a pack that maybe gave him a 3 rare whammy.

Startled awake is anything but garbage in sealed. It is usually I win the game card. GIGAtoad is also a beast.
But seriously gently caress startled awake in limited.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grats on the most expensive card in the set.

I can stress enough how good all the blue draw is that makes you discard into your madness. Blue is exceedingly better than last black. I really like the 2/1 for two skulkers. The 1/3 spirit with the extra investigation adds up. It just has a lot more to offer than over costed spells this time.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 3, 2016

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: doubla

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Are any Tribal decks making an impact? I liked the look of Vampires quite a bit, and Zombies are a fun tribe.

Humans are doing well. W/U seems to be necessary for reflector mage, and the sideboard counter spells.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

We didn't make it to Baltimore because of car issues but our Spirits deck wrecked two local FNMs and a IQ so I still think it's good. We'll see going forward.

Isn't the 9-0 guy from yesterday in Baltimore from Close Encounters? I could've sworn I've played against him there a few times.

I would really like to see this list also.

Tempo decks are my favorite, and I assume that is the route you went.
Hopefully you are main decking essence flux with all of the spot removal flying around.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Surprised there is no love for reflector mage in the U/W spirit deck.
Did you try play testing him?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It amazes me that all the W/x human decks placed higher than the W/B Midrange decks, which main-decked some languishes. Even weirder is the mono white deck outclassed W/x.

The U/R Goggles deck was really fun to watch.
I wish the guy playing The Rock with the Gitrog Monster placed higher though. That deck looked really fun.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

What is the statute of limitations on complaining about rude nerds at magic events? I am suddenly kinda peeved by this thing a guy said at the pre-release.

You know you need to repeat what was said.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

What are people's thoughts of Alms of the Vein in an aggressive Vampire Madness deck?

I am playing four of, since two or three of them are fantastic as reach, but at the same time, they do not interact with the board, and they're taking the spot of a couple cards that might be better (e.g. lightning axes)

In a BRead deck wins kind of deck it seems perfect, but I also kind of am considering midrange, where the life gain seems good...?

I dislike it. Vampires have a hard time going head on against pretty much any creatures, so i'd rather have removal clearing the way instead.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

God, I'm going to make the worst loving deck for Game Day. LGS doesn't have any recent singles. I only played the SOI pre-release. No idea what I'm going to play, but I have 4 Languish and 2 Jace so... probably some lame UB control deck.

Thing is, it's worth my time to enter because the meta is soft enough I have a decent shot at first no matter what I play. It's just painful putting a deck together that's like, GB aristocrats with one Lili and no Abbeys or the Rites.

If you build any half decent control I think you will have a decent shot for Game Day.

I'm playing mono white Humans, and instead of running 20 lands and an Archangel of tithes, I'm running 19 plains and 2 bygone bishops. It feels subpar.
Finding cards for trade at this time in the month is near impossible.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Pretty disappointing GPNJ for me. Started off 7-1-1 on Day 1 on Bant Comapny drawing with the mirror in round 9 which was quite the feel bad and also vaulted me into the draw bracket so I go to play nothing but the mirror witch is a coin flip or GW Tokens and even if I didn't have no idea how to play with or against Archangel Avacyn, that is still not the best matchup for company and as usual my deck is better than I am. I did beat the non Tokens/Company decks I played against but 10-4-1 wasn't even close to good enough to cash. Too bad for me... At least I did get to meet BJPaskoff who was a very nice dude and hopefully I'll see you at more events in the future... Maybe even ones I don't crap out of haha.

It's definitely wrong for me to scoop to my opponent in that round 9 match to avoid getting into the draw bracket, right? I found myself wishing that I had at a few points today...

I'm curious to hear how many people were playing humans, and how did they do; what variants etc.

Maybe i'm in denial for building a humans deck, but I think list running archangel of tides may fair well against Tokens and B/G Aristocrats.
The B/W matchup comes down to them having the turn 4 languish, but eerie interlude can help with that.

I'm also surprised to see multiple B/W in the top 8, but not an Esper Planeswalker deck, which you would think would have an amazing match up against B/W.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Flip Jace has been steadily decreasing in price on Channel Fireball, and is currently at 35. If it goes down even further is picking up set wise? Does he see play outside of Standard?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

He sees play in a couple Modern decks and I believe a Legacy deck?

Thanks. I may wait to see if it goes closer to 20. They have over 300 in stock they are trying to push, and i'm optimistic about it declining further.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The more I draft this set the more I'm starting to realize that building a good R/G deck with simply big creatures pays off too well.
Better decks can be built if the synergy is there, such as building G/B Clues or R/B vampires, but it requires such precise cards to work.
R/G just has such amazing stand alone semi-fatties like solitary hunter, and the arsonists. If they flip even better.
Not to mention that red packs good removal, and rabid bite is amazing as well.

Also Goldnight Castigator is bomb in limited if your deck is fast. I was thinking about side-boarding it, but every game it came down I was already pushing hard and it closed it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Myriad Truths posted:

I often feel like this also. I hear a lot of stories about success with interesting synergy decks, but every time I play I find that these big creatures with 4+ toughness end up deciding games rather than how quickly you can reach delirium or how much value you get off of discard outlets.

Green and white probably have the most playable cards. Green being good both early and late, and white has good mid game stuff.
Blue in this set is sad unless you were handed the B/G clues deck to rule all decks, or if you were handed a million Catalogs and Pore Over Pages with madness cards.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Standard feel very solved at this point. Tokens is obviously the best deck.

I am glad to see the b/w control ended up as good as it is because it was the deck I was on from the beginning, but even with a heavy anti tokens sideboard the matchup can't get better than 50/50 against tokens games 2/3. Still lots of variety of decks compared to previous standards though.

Modern is loving awesome right now and I am glad.

I think B/W can have the upper hand on Tokens if you dedicate more planeswalker hate, and run hallowed moonlight.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Well it is already maxed out on planeswalker hate. Ruinous path, duress, and unmaking are as good as it gets. Hallowed moonlight is pretty medium and is hard to justify the spot unless they are running secure the wastes.

The problem is game 1 b/w just isn't favored and 2/3 you aren't favored enough.

Hallowed moonlight stops their end of the secure the wastes, which they should be running. Stops hangerback tokens from being generated, and, if there isn't a better play, can stop a token from being generated by Gideon. Plus the card cycles itself, so even stopping a 2/2 from hitting isn't wasting a card.
If I was taking B/W to a major event I would maindeck 2 hallowed moonlights for everyone running either CoCo or Secure.

I also run the 4th anguished in my sideboard for planeswalker heavy decks, which is pretty much most of them besides 4c Rites.
I may also cut down from 3 Ob nix to 2 to add a 3rd ruinous path.

Are you running the planeswalker version or do you run creatures?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Hallowed moonlight maindeck is definitely a thing and is what I do. Its a toss up if it stays game 2 though. I also run 3 path maindeck and I do 3 ob / 2 sorin. I only run 3 unmaking in the 75. The plainswalker heavy version of b/w is without a doubt the way to go.

I am almost tempted to side out kalitas in the matchup. It never survives. Declaration in stone and purge just hit it too often. I feel like smasher needs to be in the 75 because its been amazing every time it is for me.

Plague is awful and don't run it.

When do you bring Smasher in? I'll admit, I have a hard time understanding when this deck should go more aggressive.
So you do 3 unmaking and path main deck. How many grasps and ultimate prices?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I feel like smasher is a better creature against tokens and other control decks. I am using 3 grasps and 2 prices main deck. No stones main deck.

You run the save removal package as me expect you have 1 more ruinous path. I'm guessing maybe you only run 2 secures?
I also don't run any Declarations in Stone sideboard. It doesn't work at instant speed for ormandahl, and if tokens are my concern I run 5 main deck board wipes.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping Jeskai gets kicked in, so I don't feel bad about trading a foil Nahiri at 30 dollars value.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else see that guy Nahiri ult forgetting Emrukel was in his hand so he brought out a SnapCaster. He still won against affinity with lightning helix / SnapCaster beat downs.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Help a brother out with a URL? Curious to see what they're using to turn on Scribe, there's only eight cards in my own deck that aren't lands, instants, or sorceries.

It's over, but if you go to twitch.tv and find channel fireball you will be able to watch the whole day, and even be able to skip to certain parts.

Watching these events also shows that there are two breeds of magic players: Fat white guys, and skinny asians.
Outliers were a woman and a 9 year old boy (not-fat).

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

End of Life Guy posted:

In that last round, Gaby called Hedron Crab "Ancient Crab" and, three seconds later, LSV called it Ancient Crab then corrected himself and called it Hedron Crab even though he'd called it Hedron Crab like 13 times already.

Good on him. He totally did that on purpose to cover Gaby's mistake and I'm glad he did. She gets so much poo poo, but you can tell she's trying to get better. Twitch chat loving hates her but loves LSV, and he bought her some nerd cred by showing them that her mistake was so easy to make that even he could screw it up. That's really thinking on your feet, LSV.

As much as the situation doesn't matter, because people make mistakes, especially when you've been talking for 8 hours straight. It's possible he just said what she said, because its the last thing his mind heard, and he made a mistake too.

Or he is a good guy. We will never know.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

loving up one card name in a game with fifteen thousand cards means she is clearly incompetent.

Clearly. When I have 8 hour long conversations I never fudge a word, because I took some intro to communication classes in community college.

Gaby was probably whoring around with the football team, while we were/are designing the future.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mehall posted:

PPTQ report:

So me and the gf went to a pptq in Kirkcaldy yesterday, and they got a much higher turnout than they were expecting, at 35 players. (Lots of Scottish events, especially outside the big cities, get around 20 or so.)
I was on my 5-colour superfriends brew, and gf was playing Eldrazi Goggles.

R1 opponent was on G/W stuff. Not the token deck, it felt like G/W superfriends, with den protector for value. I kept a 2 land hand in g1 and got punished by it, not being able to wrath his board until turn 6 or so, which was already too late, g2 went my way pretty perfectly (take the early beats, wrath to stabilise, get some value walkers out, still be on a double-digit life total.) g3 was another kind of non-entity. I played it out fine, but my deck decided not to give me anything proactive the whole time, and he had solid answers for anything I did get, but that's Magic.

R2 I don't remember well, but I know I lost it 1-2, even though after dominating g1, my opponent was convinced he has so unfavoured.

R3 was against the hybrid company/displacer combo deck. He sided out a bunch of the combo bits for more pressure, which I felt was right, but I still brought in a virulent plague just in case. He had thought-knot out of the board, but it never managed to hit enough to push me off my game plan, so I got there, putting me to 1-2

R4 was against a guy who had too much creature removal that he couldn't side it all uot, but my deck drew it up wrong and I always had to be interacting in the form of shambling vent etc, so I was unable to strand cards in his hand for too long. The only thing I felt was a "misplay" all day except from a couple questionable mulligan decisions happened in g3 of this match. I played out a chandra and had the option of cashing her in to wipe his board, or plussing to try and put pressure on him. I played and plussed, then realised it was wrong (but Comp REL, so didn't ask for takesies backsies). He cracked back for 1 short of lethal instead of trying to clear some of my walkers (I had Narset, Chandra and I think it was flip-nissa, but might have been Gideon.) I cast the languish that I had in my hand, which is what made the decision to plus chandra the previous turn relevant as I figured my walkers would fog for me, and then I'd get to clear his board with an extra walker down. In response to the languish though, he sacs his board to flip westvale abbey. I had 6 or so cards in hand, including a second languish and an anguished unmaking, but only had one pain-free source of black mana. I zero chandra to hope I draw declaration in stone or quarantine field, or even a way to chump for a turn, but no joy. I was in too much of a hurry to pressure him, and most people do go after the walkers, but he saw that he could cut off my pain-lands.

R5 Was against a B/W control deck. Game 1 I win in convincing manner, my deck was just better set pre-board to win the sort of grindy match we come to. G2 becomes a real slog, as I don't draw proactive things for turns and turns, meaning he gets to get into the game. I did get down Gideon, and another walker, but by the time I got to pressure him, he got to eventually gets to a new gideon, after killing another one of mine. I'm behind, and the life totals are both high thanks to duelling shambling vents, so I scoop it up to leave some time for g3. (We were at 22 and 27 respectively when I scooped.)

There's about 5 minutes left for g3, so I play in turbo mode, and he gets a bit mana-screwed. I get down oath of gideon for aggression, followed by gideon, followed by Ob Nixilis. He is forced to answer Gideon even though Ob Nix is about to ult, and he is still pinched on mana. I'm playing my fastest, most efficient magic here. He's playing at a sort of average pace, but well enough that I don't want to ask him to hurry, even though I know it's in his favour to play slow. (I thank him after the match for not eating up time.) I get to ult Ob Nix on turn 0 of extra turns, hit him to 15, he draws for the turn (13) and didn't find another land to make his hand live, passes, I draw (11) and play another walker (I think it was Sorin?) and he scoops them up. I'm not certain I had him in time, but Ob Nix emblem alone was going to deal another 6, and I still had a couple tokens.

R6 and I'm well out of contention. I'd had good ties for most of the day, but I'd got dragged as low as 22nd before the final round. I'm up against G/W tokens, which isn't a bad matchup for me, but he gets to run me over in 2 games. He drew 2 or 3 secure the wastes in each game. I once again kept a sketchy 2 lander on the play in g1.
G2 I feel was the low point of my luck all day. I had a hand with evolving wilds, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, dark petition, chandra, flip-nissa. I get a llanowar wastes off the first oath, which lets me cast the 2nd oath to get a land for the t3 flip-nissa, but I never get to get to 5 mana and use petition to find a virulent plague to lock my opponent down. He was operating on 3 lands as well, but his deck does it better.

Overall, I ended 2-4, but with a couple changes in my luck, feel I could have made the T8.
GF went 4-0, ID, ID, She got unlucky in T8 though. Her ties were a bit clear of the person she ID'd with in R5, but the final round switched it, she was 2nd after the swiss, and got paired up against my R2 opponent, which was an awful match-up for her, made worse by him having a ton of hand attack and infinite obliteration.

I was trying out Sylvan Advocate in my board, and did bring it in a couple times, but never drew it so dunno if it's good for the slot. I'm gonna test Sigarda in that place over the next week before GP Manchester, as I think exiling evolving wilds and Oath's that I cast duplicates of (and excess instants/sorceries once I've got spell mastery) or even dead walkers, to make tokens could be good, but also having protection from late-game hand-attack is relevant in the super-grindy matchups that can come up. If I have 4 cards in hand, but no idea what you're weak to and you get to Transgress me before playing a threat, then I constantly get put on the back-foot. Plus, Sigarda doesn't die to Languish, so she's immune to half my wraths, meaning I can still play them with her on field.

Here's the list I ran yesterday:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

e; The thing I forgot to mention is that I honestly feel like this deck is only a card or two away from being really really good. If WotC put even a 6 mana wrath in black in EDM, then I can cut white that Oath of Nissa doesn't fix for, and shift to blue for some permission, as all the cards I have problems with are non-creatures. (Coco, secure, hand attack, etc.)

Have you tried adding Hallowed Moonlight to your side-board so end of the turn Secure the Wastes or Collected Companies don't end games.
Also why 4 Planar outburst and only 3 languishes and not the other way around. A board wipe coming down 1 turn earlier seems important.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Definitely starting to shy further and further away from this set.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lions eye diamond needs to be in this

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Loving the art on Winter Orb.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

caiman posted:

Eh, can someone help me understand this card's ability? When it deals damage to a player you get to exile some cards and then just put them back? What's the point? What am I missing?

Enter the battlefield effects.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Are there any foil basic lands from older sets around onslaught to invasion that are worth a decent amount, or are they all pretty much 1-2$
I know some people really like certain artists, and I used to collect foil lands before I quit.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There is a guy at my store who ordered 3 boxes of Eternal Masters before seeing the full spoiler. Poor guy.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

It's a tough lesson to learn about the lottery, but maybe he won't spend as much on it in the future.

I kind of get the feeling that Magic is the only thing he can get excited about in life, so he just likes the fact that cards are coming his way.

I also think his income isn't a concern, because he bought 7 boxes of Shadows. I still fill bad for the guy when he opens World Gorger Dragon ( I feel bad for anyone who experiences this).

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I was looking forward to a madness deck, personally (w/ or w/o Jace).

Me too, I kind of want to take the minor gamble and purchase the vampire deck just in case Eldritch Moons pushes it into being viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does any one know if the second sets of blocks are pretty much already made, or does Wizards look at which decks are making pro tours, and kind of bump down or up the power level of certain archetypes?

• Locked thread