Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
During what I consider my most skill testing victory, casting things into chalice to get young pyromancer triggers won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I had a veteran player at my LGS pass me a Tasigur during our first Fate Reforged draft. When I asked him why, he said the card was poo poo. Then, he got mad with it jumped to $12 the next week. Some things just aren't obvious to some people without the meta evidence to show them whether a card is "good" or not.
People tend to downgrade a card if it has an ability that isn't relevant even if the card is still good without it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

However, they have to kill it when you don't have 3 mana available.
My sb card against batterskull is sapphire charm. Call the judge to explain phasing and bask in the incredulous look.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Mono blue delver sounds terrible. I do grixis and if you know what decks you are going to see it's a great troll card. I'm ok with the slot because Dack Fayden is on artifact duty. A resolved and protected batterskull is almost unbeatable and there are a ton of sfm decks. You want like 10 cards that gently caress them up. I preboard 2 pyroblasts so switching them out for something dumb and situational is the way to go.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Dack Fayden is the best blue planeswalker.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. I run 2 quarters in tron to protect against sowing salt and poo poo like that. I also have crucible of worlds, so it can be a soft lock against some decks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Good point. I usually beat the hell out of people who don't have their quarters in the mirror and dropping one first is really good too. It ties in to the fact that the one skill you need to play tron is bluffing and faking out which tron pieces you have to make your opponent waste their chances. I usually drop tower last, and keep redundant pieces in my hand until I need them. This makes people think that you have the luckiest draws in the world, but it wins games.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A titan cycle sure seems like the place to do it. Why isn't there a name for the anti-menace where it can only be blocked by one creature?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Absolutely. 3 cmc is bonkers for any cascade deck. He plays nice with SSG too. I will be casting restore balances off this guy for days.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Ramos posted:

So you're telling me it's literally:

I thought the conspiracy from conspiracy was going to be who can cast the kick rear end golgari cards because none of the legendary story characters could. It was us the whole time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The worst submarine posted:

This set is great for photoshop

No mames - Mexican saying meaning "I can't believe it."

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, one of them is reading the card on the table in front of you and one of them requires information entirely outside of the game

but yeah other than that exactly the same
It isn't "entirely outside of the game" when you can ask for the oracle text of any card at any time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Well right or wrong, that's how you avoid the problem and almost everyone under utilizes their judges as if calling a sidebar with a judge makes them a lesser player. It is a very good skill to develop and will win you games I promise.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Really sucks for me because it probably means no more legacy at all at my local shop. We had 75 card proxy every Thursday that gave out card prizes and it was only possible because of proxies being allowed.

Same. No more legacy in the entire city now as far as I know, and no modern at my favorite shop. Great job! It's also hilarious how they weasel word it to look like making proxies is illegal by US law. No, writing force of will in sharpie on an island is not a crime.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 12, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It was kind of strange to get the enablers for theros block in origins.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There's no way they are saying you can't marker proxy your foils and money rares in a redraft rares game right?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think they should design a MMA set built for sealed rather than draft, you can avoid having to pick between a money card or a good limited card and get constructed viable cards out there.
The problem would be that paying 60 bucks to play sealed, then opening a poo poo pool would be extremely frustrating.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea. Main decking a ghost quarter or two has helped me both slow down greedy mana bases, and quarter my own poo poo in response to land death. The cool thing is now I can take out my spellskites and try out thought-knot seers because twin is gone. Stony silence is ok hate I guess, but it's not as good as people think it is and blood moon is a dead draw against me as far as I'm concerned.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh, yeah. I can see a TO doing this and not thinking about anything other than, "Well these five guys will just leave the store and not spend any money if I don't force a tournament to start." At my LGS, if we get five or six people sign up and no tournament starts, there's a good chance they'll all leave out of frustration. Our WPN status is too important to risk pulling any bullshit though.
We usually play conspiracy when that happens and it's awesome. That set is still in print right?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I wish they would do either a set that is entirely for reprinting cards or a set for drafting that happens to have chase rares instead of getting premium fancy packs that contain garbage that no one wants because you can also draft with them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

kizudarake posted:

You can still get conspiracy at 94 bucks a box.

I'm getting them for 89.99 and loving every minute of it. It's my favorite set I can remember and the print run is never ending. Something like conspiracy is what I was alluding to with the second example. Otherwise, just print from the vault: booster packs for 20 dollars a pop and not worry about having a balanced draft environment.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Eye is a significant part of why Tron has such a good long game.
Maybe more tron players will use the mindslaver lock like I do now that there's a land slot for academy ruins. Talk about lategame: the full on crucible, 2x academy, expedition map, mindslaver package is extremely resilient.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hell, I split top 4 in a 6 person modern tourney and won an Ugin and a Bloodstained Mire from picking fate for my prize packs. You should totally win packs and open them. That is the best way to build a deck.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

odiv posted:

Stifle was nice to see, but maybe a bit "smaller".

Stifle was like 35 bucks before it was reprinted in Conspiracy. That was huge.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cactrot posted:

UW fliers with all the favorable winds, doomed travellers and intangible virtues I could pick was the most fun deck.

Sorry you never got to draft orzhov voting. That's the most fun deck. U/W fliers is a good one, but one Vow of Duty and it beats you, usually without you even realizing it. It's like in multiplayer commander when you reach the point where everyone knows who the presumptive winner will be, but dick around trying to keep the others from comboing off. What you do is encourage infighting and absusing the tendancy to vote for whatever screws over the guy winning. You can use the same haymakers from the flying deck too, it is a ridiculous color combo.

We drafted enough Conspiracy to enact and abide by a no durdle rule that helps the format immensely, so politics were very powerful. It helps that if someone plays the usual 40 cards there is a good chance they will deck out if they don't do something with the strong card draw in the format.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

This isn't even my final fo-oh wait yes it is

Are we just going to ignore that Delver of Secrets is Cell?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I think it's too much with Crucible since it's giving something very close to strip mine loops to Modern and Legacy.

Just tape on an "if this would go to the graveyard, exile it instead" clause and it becomes a very weird take on the anti-land land concept.

Against many modern mana bases, ghost quarter is a strip mine after you recur it a couple times. It's good enough to make a bad rear end gifts pile.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I liked all the callbacks in origins, but that was a nostalgia set and it's not like I'm actually playing the crappier version of ichorid.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Uhhhhh.

I guess if you don't count "thirteen" and "one" as words.

"13" and "1" are numbers.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
And there definately are 13 words in each of the modes.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Chamale posted:

Sapphire Charm.

It's a funny card because it's only good against Batterskull, but it's blue and cantrips in case the opponent hasn't played a Batterskull that game.
Thopter combo gets wrecked by sapphire charm too. You need to time it carefully, but no one plays around it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Eschatos posted:

What's a good way to learn the advanced rules of Magic? This weekend I'm going to a prerelease and playing for the first time since original Zendikar. I get all the basic stuff like the idea of how the stack works, but when it comes to more obscure rules interactions that could plausibly show up I'm lost. Reading through 200 pages of comprehensive rules from WOTC is something I'd prefer not to have to do.
Prerelease is the most casual sanctioned event. It has do overs and stuff, just ask the judge questions as much as you need.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If Emrakul is the moon, what does that make the helvault? I'd be down with the third Zen block being a Soul Blazer rip off.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There is nothing wrong with using California raisin guys as tokens as long as you tip them over when they are tapped.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Utility: Counterspell. UU gently caress you is just so ingrained that two untapped islands is one of the scariest boards in magic.
Flavor: Summoning Trap. The portcullis opens and the beast emerges, come on, that rules. You really feel like a dungeon master when someone counters your birds of paradise and emrakul emerges.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

That card is still cooler than Rorix.

Is there a good formula for putting together a cube draft of a set? I really enjoyed MM15 and would love to draft it more (and have enough packs cracked to make up a pile of commons/uncommons) and would like to potentially do that for EMA as well.
Just separate them in a fat pack into rares, uncommons, and commons and make your own packs. Shuffle them up and deal them into packs by rarity, you should probably have multiple sets of the commons, but the more sets you have the more realistic the packs will be as opening two of the same rare is possible. It doesn't need to be a cube for any specific reason does it?

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 26, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

e:^^ my question was really, I guess "how many sets of commons vs uncommons vs rares" and if 4:2:1 was appropriate or if 6:4:2:1 was more ideal or whatever.
I like 1 mythic, 2, rares, 3 uncommons, 4 commons myself if you're just shuffling it all together. It depends on the set though. Some cards like squadron hawk or howling wolf need multiple common sets to do anything. Right now 1 M/R 3 U 5 C (ignoring the draft effecting slot which is all shuffled together at appropriate rarities) is what my conspiracy draft sim looks like and it feels right. Most sets, you can get away with having the same number of rares as mythics because you'll still pull mythics at around the same rate by virtue of there being less in the set.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Elyv posted:

also lol at this being rare

What the gently caress. It doesn't even do anything.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Am I missing something, or does Wizards reprinting money commons at rare make them illegal for pauper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I like that mirrodin plain that's just a bunch of spikes. I have a couple in foil and they look cool. The kamigawa island panorama is cool too.

• Locked thread