Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Serpopard is the most boring card I've seen in a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Another day of unexciting spoilers? Is WotC just saving all the exciting stuff for later on? Isn't one of the keys to a spoiler season trying to hype people up? This spoiler season seems like it's missing the mark by a lot.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Nest of Scarabs is looking kind of disgusting with all these cheap green creatures that make a million -1/-1 counters. If it wasn't a 3 drop it would be so sweet.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Okay, thank you for a cycling payoff card WotC. Drake Haven looks pretty exciting. Also combos really well with Collective Brutality. I kinda dig it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Elyv posted:

https://twitter.com/TokyoMTG/status/849278145559539713

(the return land is actually a "may" apparently)

That's uh. Why does it have to be Azure Mage? I like it but it's so dang expensive to activate and getting to 7 cards in hand is kind of hard in this Standard. Without an X card draw spell, I don't see how you can easily enable this.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GeneX posted:

Ideally they reprint sphinx's rev

Do you really think WotC will reprint Sphinx's Revelation? Have they even printed a scaling card draw spell since RTR?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes, but not in this set--it would have been an Invocation. I suspect it'll be in the Hour of Devastation invocations, 10% chance to show up in that set.

e: X Draw spells aren't particularly strong outside of revelation. Mind Spring wasn't exactly a powerhouse and it got reprinted multiple times. Drawing 3 cards for 5 mana at sorcery speed don't break the game.

BSZ and Stroke both saw play. It's mostly the instant speed ones that are very good; it's hard to fully abuse Mind Spring/Braingeyser. Instant speed x draw spells are powerful because they are insanely good late game.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

what kind of a dumbass complaint is this, just because they don't print an X draw spell every set doesn't suddenly mean they've decided to never print one ever again

also like someone said, epiphany at the drownyard was printed and is standard-legal

I mean, it's kind of in line with the current design philosophy of avoiding very durdly blue control decks. It's also been, what, four and a half years since RTR was printed? In that time we haven't gotten a single x draw spell. Epiphany really, really doesn't count. Epiphany scales pretty drat poorly and doesn't have the late game power of a x draw spell. It looks like one, but it doesn't do the same thing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

That's such a weird random thing to add to the ability. I guess if you don't draw a land, you can bounce and replay a tapped land to get an extra mana for the turn. And you can bounce cycling lands to pitch if you're really flooded.

It puts you at +2 cards in hand to make it easier to attack. I assume that's the reasoning behind it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

You attack it.

a 3-mana "gain 3-5 life" is not an especially powerful card.

It does require a pretty developed board to deal with it

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Permanents dying to removal doesn't seem like the best way to criticize this card tbh. In my mind, the weakest thing about it is that it will never generate card advantage. It can lock down a creature and force your opponent to dig for an answer, but it can't leave anything behind. It's still very powerful, but it's not the best 3 mana Planeswalker ever printed.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That isn't how planeswalkers work. It sits on the table and generates more card advantage as it sits there because you only pay for it once. If it blanks a creature for 2 turns that is already card advantage.

No. This Gideon cannot ever deal with an opponents card permanently. If you blank a creature for 2 turns, it's still going to be there on the third. This doesn't leave anything behind if it's removed, regardless of how long it's on the battlefield, therefore it does not provide card advantage. This Gideon is essentially a 1WW 4/4 with upside.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

You actually will play other cards in your deck though and you can actually use Gideon's abilities differently when it is to your advantage to do so based on the game situation...

Those are all true and 100% irrelevant things. Gideon of the Trials does not have the ability to generate card advantage.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I think new Gideon is pretty bad actually. He's a win more that offers little value on his own.

Just think of him as a 4/4 that can sometimes be a Pacifism and sometimes randomly hate out some decks g1. He's still very good, just not the best thing since putting butter on your sliced bread.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Oh yea I'm not saying he's a healthy card. I just think he's way too easy to answer and offers no ongoing value.
If you're keeping an unanswered planeswalker of any type alive you're probably winning anyway. And those actively help you win instead of stalling the game out.

Isn't this the equivalent of saying it dies to removal? Obviously this is true and that's what makes the card not quite insane but still good. A 4/4 that resists sorcery speed interaction that can also be a Pacifism and also can randomly lock people out of a game is still very good.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
3 mana enchantment that does nothing to impact the board? I'm gonna go with a hard no on this card's playability.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's definitely theoretically possible that the card ends up being playable, I just don't see it happening. It's expensive and unimpactful except for very niche situations in a format where not being impactful will lose you games. Maybe I'm wrong, I just can't justify spending so much mana with the hope that I'll be able to assemble a not game winning combo.

To be fair, I'll definitely jam this plus Wheel of Fate into Storm because that interaction is sick as heck. I don't expect it to be good, but I'll try it anyway.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 6, 2017

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I would not be surprised if they spiked now because of crazy speculators and then dropped later because it's not actually that good of a combo. AV is definitely playable though so feel free to pick em up.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So we can now play 8 cards that give you 1/1s whenever a -1/-1 counter is put on a creature? There has to be a deck that abuses that, right?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

If this becomes a tier 1 deck, Modern will be the greatest format on the earth.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AceClown posted:

$1,283.94

one thousand two hundred and eighty three dollars and ninety four cents.

So for a 75 card pile that's an average of $17 per card.

And yet WotC refuses to acknowledge the secondary card market or the price barrier to entry of this children's card game.

What am Modern Masters?

It's also probably relevant to note that the majority of the price in that deck is in the 4 Goyfs and 3 Baubles; put together, those cost $500. There are also tons of less expensive decks you're welcome to play; cherry picking the most expensive decks in a format in order to make a claim about the price barrier being insane is pretty unreasonable. There's also the fact that prices are set more or less by scarcity and demand. That's just how poo poo works, dude.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I suppose he's talking about Mentor aka the best deck in the format by far? There aren't any other recent cards that people really complain about.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The format changes a lot. For instance the new BUG build is different. Eldrazi is a thing that exists now.

Delver variants have died, as has omnitell a little.

Cards that have come in over the past few years

LotV
DRS
Abrupt Decay
RiP
Grizelbrand
Terminus
Entreat
TNN
Leopold
Snapcaster
Delver
Thalia
Cavern
Lingering souls
Graffdiggers

Basically anything from RtR or Innistrad, everything else sucks.

Monastery Mentor, Swiftspear, Fatal Push, Tasigur, Gurmag Angler, JVP, Tireless Tracker, Thought Knot Seer, Reality Smasher, Sanctum Prelate, Recruiter of the Guard, Palace Jailer, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Council's Judgement, Scavenging Ooze, Baleful Strix, Shardless Agent, Warping Wail, Kolaghan's Command, Walking Balista, I'm probably missing stuff but you get the point. There are tons of new cards added to Legacy all the time.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I feel bad for the D&T player who missed on lands for a bunch of turns so he couldn't Council's Judgement that Batterskull.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I feel good watching 4 color decks and BUG get blown out by bloodmoon though.

I feel bad watching the Miracle decks Bloodmoon people.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Never to Return is probably stone unplayable because of Heart of Kiran and Copy Cat. It's hard to put cards in your deck that are bad against the two best decks in a format. I guess it might be fine if we see some stuff get banned but as of right now you can't really justify three Mana sorcery speed removal spells.

What the hell, how would Desert of all cards be overpowered?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Siivola posted:

Okay someone please explain to me the hosed up logic behind "oh no this thing that kills Saheeli/Chandra/Gideon only does it on my turn I'll never play it".

If your opponent is on this in order to kill Saheeli you just wait until turn six and then cast both in one turn. Against Gideon and Chandra you're pretty much just trading down since they're always going to get something out of the deal and you're going to be on very little mana which guarantees their next threat is going to get through. You also can't reliably use it on curve since using it on curve means you're going to be answering something that probably isn't as threatening as a Planeswalker. Expensive sorcery speed removal spells just aren't very good in general and specifically in this Standard they're even worse.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Pull from Tomorrow is lit and is especially lit if we get an Aftermath card that has a really good flashback. So far I don't see much like that but maybe we'll get something.

Also, it comboes with Drake Haven and the Archfiend. The cycling deck is looking better and better.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Entropic posted:

Whoa, it's even one cheaper on the front end and comes with trample. I guess that's why it got bumped up to rare.

I'm imagining playing against that card as an uncommon and it's making me miserable.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I admire your optimism

Fatal Push and Grasp of Darkness are both good.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

I can't help but love everything about this card

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

This card is so loving strange. It can be Cancel -> Timewalk or it can do nothing. I actually really like it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

odiv posted:

I only ever hear two things about SCG Premium:

1) Complaints about it being a rip off
2) Requests for the contents

Maybe the people who request the content should consider buying the content

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I can't wait for the inevitable Mardu Vehicles deck featuring 0 Vehicles.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Some hot takes on the new spoilers:

Zombies are sick, Nissa is not good, Green God is loving stupid and very good. His pump ability means all you need is a freaking bear to enable him. He also attacks for a ton of damage and has some flavor text about having death touch because he's a snake. But really, that card is gonna mess people up.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

He also dodges Grasp, holy poo poo.

Is there anything in the format that answers him beyond, like, pacifism effects?

Dec in Stone? Anguished Unmaking? Counterspells? The new instant speed cycling Oblivion Ring? Stasis Snare?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Your answer to Snake God should not be sweepers or blocking it. It's pretty trivial to turn this guy on so you're going to want to answer it on a more permanent basis.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I couldn't tell you why, but I feel like Fragmentize is going to be a main deck card in AKH standard

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Man, you would think wizards would have learned their lesson with 2 cmc plainswalkers with jace.

Actually I think the relevant lesson for this card is Tibalt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm not seeing a spot on the curve where Nissa is the card you're all about casting. She seems mediocre at best pretty much constantly. She doesn't do anything to protect herself the turn she comes down which is a huge problem. She can grind card advantage, which is good, but she can't guarantee it without doing so very intermittently. I think it's an interesting design, but she requires a very slow and specific format for her to be good.

Or I could be wrong and she's insane and will be a format staple. I just think she has a ton of flaws.

• Locked thread