Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty :geno: about the Amoncard, because the art is so narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Saheeli didn't even make top 8 at GP Shizuoka, everything's fine. :v:

It was six Mardu Ballistas, a Temur Tower and some rando Jund.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They've only been making Planeswalker Decks since Kaladesh, what're you on about?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh, I got confused. Thanks for clarifying.

Judging by all the precon decks WotC has printed over the years, I'd imagine they'd keep Duel Decks hanging around in some form for the "smart casual" crowd that doesn't buy boosters but still wants to play with their friends. Planeswalker decks are intro products and Commander is weird, so there ought to be a niche.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Realtalk though, I'd strongly consider playing in a dueldeck constructed format. By that I mean, following their general rarity guidelines. My friends and I played around with dueldeck like deck construction (3 rares, 13 uncommon limit), and it's a pretty fun format to play with. Led to us creating a bunch of internally-balanced decks that we now break out when we want to get in some quick games. Most are based on a theme (we have one deck for every 2-color guild, for example).
My VtES playgroup did something similar to allow new people to "buy in" with a precon starter without getting dunked by decks with a million rares. It was actually pretty nice, particularly since the game hasn't been in print in ages.

You could make faux-Planeswalker decks with a planeswalker, four rares and 17 uncommons, plus a playset of taplands.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The point is, continuing to make planeswalker-fronted Duel Decks alongside the actual intro-level Planeswalker Decks would be a bit weird.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Are you at least pushing some kind of fake format nobody will ever play?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

Remember when we talked about Frontier for like maybe 8 days and there was daily articles on CFB?
Nope, that was before my time. I've seen some posts tho.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thanks guys, now I want to go out and buy dozens of different basic lands.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're literally asking for them to not publish any estimates on when they might fix an issue.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hold on let me find a napkin and a pen.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can just not bin her, you'll only lose a turn.

Anyway you need 332 emblem triggers to make over a googol zombies, so 331 triggers is enough to kill 'em.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

When's Amonkhet spoilers
Monday April 3rd.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://badbudgetmtgsolutions.tumblr.com/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Stoddard posted:

I think in hindsight, making sure that we have at least Naturalize or something stronger in the format is important to keep the format in check, if our themes hit harder than expected.
I understood the article so that the four blocks a year tripped them up because more themes meant more chances for ~pushing something too hard~ (and something falling under the bus, see BFZ) and because they suddenly didn't have the core set to save their bacon (either by printing answers or buffing a lagging theme, again see BFZ).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Has Standard ever been good?

Edit: Well I guess Bolt was legal back in M11...

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 25, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jabor posted:

Innistrad/RTR standard was great, RTR/Theros standard was great, Theros/Khans standard was great.

Standard just totally sucking seems to be a more recent thing.
So it took a nosedive around Origins or BFZ? That's actually pretty interesting, thanks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Player elimination, bighuge decks, high life totals and, as far as I can tell, no actual reward for being the one to eliminate people?

Sign me out.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

It's "classic" 80s and earlier board game design but since it has the magic TM on it, people love it. :shrug: If it had any way to mitigate long wait times betweeen turns or simultaneous turn structures like role-taking or worker placement games, I'd be down.
You'd have to hack the game pretty hard, I think. Far as I can tell, any sort of asynchronous gameplay is pretty much right out thanks to the priority-passing.

If I ever end up playing multiplayer, I kinda want to try playing regular FFA but have the game end when the first player gets eliminated, active player wins. Might have to let people block for each other and, uh, talk people out of conceding I guess?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I burnt out on that setup when I used to play Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. It's still elimination, so the game takes a long while and eliminated players (that is, me, because I'm bad) have to wait around for a long time to play again.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Intuitively that sounds like a pain in the rear end, but I guess it could work alright?

Not gonna try it with a Commander deck tho. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I went and looked at the ruling on Unearth. Turns out:

quote:

If a creature returned to the battlefield with unearth would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead -- unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence. The unearth effect will no longer apply to it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The sphere of influence thing also makes for some weird interactions- we were down to four players (so only one active player at any time) in one game and someone ult'd a Karn, so three of us had to reset everything and the fourth player got to keep all of his stuff in play.
I'm gonna be That Guy and quote the rulebook because someone actually wrote down the rule for that exact case:

quote:

717.7. If a multiplayer game using the limited range of influence option (see rule 801) is restarted, all players in the game are involved, regardless of the range of influence of the player who controls the ability that restarted the game.
The copmprehensive rules actually include a version of range of influence rules, for some reason. (Probably because Garfield used it in VtES.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Magic the Gathering: I'd rather play rip it or flip it

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Full-art promos? :shrug:

I'm more curious about the "you may $keyword as $this attacks" templating. I don't think that's how they've written it previously?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No untap next turn was my first guess too. I just would've expected them to write it as "Whenever Glorybringer attacks, you may exert it. If you do, etc."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't think "You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks" works any better if "exert" includes tapping.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think Maro's gone on record saying that they only use one or the other within a block because of that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

Snake wants this card bad. This seems pretty exploitable.
I bet SaffronOlive's already brewing up something janky with this, snake and Paradox Engine.

I can't tell if this is a nombo with Sensei's or not.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

EatinCake posted:

They probably don't want you to be able to just bounce the creature back into the regular sided version. Flavor wise this seems neat, I can dig it.
This way you can only embalm a given dudette once ever. If you wanted to do that with a transforming card, you'd have to write extra rules text on it to make it go away for good. Also this way you can remove it with a bounce instead of finding real removal.

Edit: So beaten.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, it's a big flavour hit.

If they turn out any good, I might have to figure out a BG Constructor deck. :downsrim:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's really slow, but I guess you can untap it with... Mobile Garrison? :shrug:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Gravedigger and Giant Spider :unsmith:
I was looking at the starter decks a bit closer and there's a bunch of cards that show up with the Modern border instead of the M15 one. Either they're throwing in whatever scraps they've got lying around, or they're reprinting Garruk's Horde in Amonkhet.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 27, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

List of unmentioned reprints:
  • Stormfront Pegasus
  • Glory Seeker (well duh)
  • Coral Merfolk
  • Stealer of Secrets
  • Inspiration
  • Tricks of the Trade
  • Bloodhunter Bat
  • Garruk's Horde
  • Stalking Tiger
  • Stampeding Rhino
  • Wing Snare

JerryLee posted:

Why is Jackal its own creature type now?

I mean it's not a completely indefensible idea in a vacuum but after 20 years of hounds maybe consistency is a virtue
All the jackals in the game are Hounds. All the hyenas are Hyenas.

Edit: Oh wait you mean the Tattered Zombie. That's weird.

Edit2: Oh wait maybe it's so that the Jackal God cares about it.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

...why would it? Relentless Dead has no inherent synergy with Embalm.
The set might have some buff black Zombie Jackals, and almost definitely something to buff 'em.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That bit is the worst part of unearth, because the way it skips the actual dying part is very counterintuitive. (It's actually "if it would leave the battlefield".)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's a counterpoint re: Embalming: This is evidently a "zombies matter" sort of set. Any mechanic that doesn't clearly show that this returning creature is a zombie is strictly worse than one that does, because you'd eventually just end up scribbling a big Z on a scrap of paper and sticking it in the sleeve anyway.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The preview article actually does state all Embalmed creatures pop out strictly white tokens.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ancestral Vision even has pyramids!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

While I do wish precon products were actually any good, I can only imagine stores selling out of intro product because of hoarding nerds is kind of a pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

• Locked thread