Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GROUND FLOOR

Also, standard is a pile of midrange decks with 1 aggro-combo deck and 1 ramp deck and I guess a control deck on the side, heavily influenced by 1 powerful blue card. Standard right now is about hyper-efficient powerful cards all going together without any huge regard for synergy, essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Source

not confirmed by any stretch of the imagination

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thinking on it I don't think this is real because I think a new basic land type is something that would be added in the first set of a block, not the second set, if it was added at all.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 18, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

...Hey.

You're right.

I presume the diamond means it has "T: add ♦ to your mana pool" but there's nothing giving it that. And they have "full-art land with text box" templating available.

Everything about this is so arbitrary and I doubt they'd be introducing this in a small set.

as said(and as discussed in irc) if the diamond symbol means "colorless mana only" and if they add a rule saying basic lands with no types tap for colorless then it works in the rules

Basically:

black potus posted:

i'm v skeptical about these spoilers at the moment but not because they introduce some unsolvable rules issue

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

Its pretty early but maybe with the middling reception of BFZ they leaked them early?

If these are real I really doubt it's a deliberate leak

mcmagic posted:

Twitter says it's a new symbol for colorless mana. Not a new mana type just has to be colorless. So it's 10 mana and 2 has to be colorless.

unless it's an actual wizards employee twitter is speculating as much as the rest of us

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, what I was observing was that their rarity was listed as Common. I didn't play during Coldsnap, but is that correct or is Gatherer lying?

you had to draft snow lands but I don't remember whether there was guaranteed 1 per pack

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and then put Hangerback Walker into it?

...no? :confused:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Banning a card under the premise of hurting bloom but not killing it is silly. It's doable, but it's silly. I think you either blow the deck out of the water(by banning literally any key card) or leave it be.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

lockdar posted:

Amulet Bloom is a combo deck that needs 4 different cards (Titan, Amulet, Bloom, Bounceland) to combo and put a Titan in play on turn 2, it needs a second Amulet to get the kill. There are multiple 1 or 2 mana cards that completely negate anything the deck tries to do. Sure, you need to have those cards in hand but so does the Bloom deck and the Amulet player used 4 cards while you stopped that with 1 card. One discard spell or one Path to Exile negates anything you've been trying to do and sets the deck back multiple turns. It hasn't put up amazing results at a regular base and is still a small part of the metagame. I really don't get all the bitching about the deck.

You're not disagreeing with my core argument.

Also, amulet only gets set back multiple turns by removal if the amulet player decides to greedy instead of titaning for tolaria west + bounceland(if needed).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

Or draw it naturally, but yeah.

Just playing the deck occasionally online I've liked the 1x Spirit Guide. It's hard to describe why exactly, but it just smoothes things out and at least like half the time you draw it it just lets you do something you couldn't have done otherwise.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alaan posted:

Are the other four flip walkers in? It kiiiiind of makes sense if still incredibly dumb then.

95% sure they're all in

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also the funniest card in the legendary cube is brothers yamazaki

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I'm tired from standing all day, but I don't see it?

her -X is pretty bad in the legendary cube

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

aaaaaaaaaaand Deflecting Palm? :eyepop:

deflecting palm has actually seen play in burn for quite a while; in any matchup where they're pressuring your life total, considering the strategy that burn operates, the card is a huge blowout.

lovely fanfic or that one mediocre uncharted realms where lili and jace go on a date, which is it?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

who is mangara, why were they in an amber prison

wow man learn your mirage block lore

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

kaervek is the merciless guy right, i remember this name

don't know who jolrael is tho

she lived in the forest and hated everyone during the first half of the story

She continued to live in the first afterwards too though tbf

Edit: wow way too slow

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I believe "successfully cast" was always the equivalent to "put on the stack", countered or no. I played pre-6th but none of us had any idea what the rules were so I'm not sure, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

* Bobby breaks out into some horrible prose about his options and he comes up with a solution to "save Zendikar," which seems random since he does the opposite of this the entire time. He finds his "keystone" hedron which he will use to focus power back to himself and starts flying towards Sea Gate. He doesn't seem to care for flight but says its more convenient because, "you don't see a lot of demons on boats, and it turns out there are some very good reasons for that." (ugh)

* He reaches the battle and finds the network in place. He remarks that they did a kinda lovely job with it, but he flies over and uses the keystone to get his spark back - coincidentally, this not only disrupts the network, but causes it to fall apart entirely so they can't even fix it. Bobby Nixon is back bitches in an all new sitcom!

the way the story was written made it sound like obby was originally going to do something else but when he saw the network already set up he felt he had an opportunity

also he didn't actually need to break the hedron ring, he chose to because, as you said, he's actually a cartoon supervillain

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Uncharted Realms quality is super uneven, it ranges from barely edited badly plotted trash to perfectly adequate genre fiction. I actually felt this was closer to the latter, a few bad passages aside.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 25, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

There's just something about the name that's loving hilarious.

it's the juxtaposition with the creature type

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

what gate are they watching

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Nice conveniently covered name.

It's probably not Nahiri, though.

Edit: Holy moley I actually want to make Abzan Aristocrats again.

it's clearly not nahiri

also this is a weird card and if someone told me the card text without showing me the card I would think it was fake

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Olothreutes posted:

I'm not sure that the Kor and the il-Kor are the same people.

lots of tribes on Rath had either il or en in their names. The ones with il worked for the bad guys, the ones with en were independent, so an il-Kor is a Kor who works for the bad guys

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The question is, will they bring back Jaji, Magmaw Worshipper, or perhaps Magmaw itself?

he probably became fuel for the magmaw

what a silly piece of flavor text in a set about worldeating monstrosities

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think anyone is expecting this card to see modern play, I think the discussion is about Standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I'm going to have this problem with Sarkhan Unbroken next year. :sigh:

it's in the name, man

no false advertising or anything

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hyper genesis hasn't been putting up numbers at no ban modern. Must be too much of a known factor.

It's hands down the best goldfish deck I think.

What about the blazing shoal infect deck?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

this is a terrible idea because black potus is a great id

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

If it makes you feel better: Most of the lands widely agreed on to be Magic's most powerful (Fetchlands, Original Duals and Shocks, as well as Battle Lands) do nothing to help you cast any cards with Colorless mana costs, so you will have to change the construction of your mana base to accommodate Colorless cards.

(I know Workshop won't help cast Eldrazi but I have a hard time believing they're introducing a change like this without using it on all cards, when they want it, moving forward)

On a lesser level,

Also Tron and others, but I just stuck with cards I can think off the top of my head that see play in eternal formats.

To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with colorless mana being diamond mana and actually think it's a good idea, but that statement was just not true.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 7, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hopefully they use this as an excuse to reprint certain expensive lands not on the Reserved List(obviously not in Standard necessarily, but more copies of, say, Wasteland in circulation would be nice).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ramos posted:

Wasteland would just be taking the entire table that Modern is delicately set up upon and just flipping it over. Even if they don't develop for Modern, it just isn't going to happen.

Like I said, an excuse. Obviously Wasteland is never going to be in a Standard-legal set again, but they could reprint it in a supplementary product with shiny new diamonds where it taps for mana, and then there would be more in circulation.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Booklegger posted:

Modern Playable™. Might find a home in Scapeshift as a replacement for and improvement upon Meloku.

Wat.

I will make you a bet that this card is not Modern playable(given a reasonable metric for "Playable"). Also no one plays Meloku, that card's time is long, long past.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah I feel like this guy is solidly in standard roleplayer status; that is, good enough to see some play, but only as the last few slots of the deck in question and only if the deck is already decent without it (That deck is probably RG Landfall)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Maro's article today spoils Ken Nagle's mystery mechanic that a) didn't work and b) left a hole in the New Phyrexia design file so large they had to come up with something at the last minute to fix it, which turned out to be Phyrexian mana.

Spoiler warning: it's super dumb.

I saw that it was a topical blend and I decided to not read it because I remember the past topical blends being terrible

is that correct

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

no player may cast spells or activate abilities.

judge help how does this work with my Deep-Sea Kraken

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I think if you can't wrap your head around what 'resolves" and "stack" that maybe Magic just isn't the game for you.

I started playing Magic when I was like 7 or 8. I did not play all that much and had no idea how a lot of the game worked, I just knew the untap upkeep draw play most spells during main phase attack play instants/interrupts whenever(I didn't really know the difference between the two, just that interrupts were faster in some way), but I still enjoyed playing. High school was the first time I saw anyone do things with the stack more complicated than "play spells"(I didn't know the stack existed); a friend of mine was doing some sort of shenanigans with Pemmin's Aura and I didn't think they were allowed the first time he did it.

but okay I guess magic just wasn't the game for me

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Someone, I think it was BJPaskoff, mentioned how Split Second's name is misleading.

Because evocative names are really important. Double Strike is much easier to grasp because it says "double" on it. That means it strikes twice, and the reminder text is just the technicalities of that. The name alone tells you the big upside, hitting twice. Flying is much the same way. Why can't Goblin PIker block Skyhunter Skirmisher, but Storm Crow can block? It's because Skimrisher just flies over the dumb piker.

I guess what they were trying to do with Split Second is "this happens so suddenly no one can do anything about it."

But the rules of Magic just don't support things instantly happening, and the flavor just isn't there. Two cards have sudden in their name and that's about it. Why is Celestial Crusader happening instantaneously? How is Krosan Grip any faster-happening than any other Naturalize-kin?

Well there are at least 3 I can think of offhand (Sudden Death, Sudden Shock, Sudden Spoiling). More than that though, I think their idea was to separate it with the art, all the split second cards have this lightning bolt thing down the center and I think the idea is a before/after thing or something. The flavor is shot though, yeah, especially since triggered abilities still happen and so forth.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

upheaval is a card that you don't just fire off when you hit 6, usually, you save it to cast it for the right moment, but then you win like 95+% of games where it resolves

Upheaval float 2-3, land psychatog go was a thing for a long time

I can't remember if the Extended Tog decks ran Upheaval though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

probably either prowess or loot on hit I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm sure it's not going to happen, but a Tim as the U/R manland would be interesting. Be cool to have a manland that isn't primarily just for swinging in.

Maybe give it a fat rear end to block with so it isn't just a Shivan Gorge.

the problem with forbidding watchtower and spawning pool is that leaving up a pile of mana just to block is pretty lovely because the main job of a manland is "manasink in the late game on an empty-ish board"

• Locked thread