Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

dogsupremacy posted:

What's the deal with gp and scg pricing vs payout. Especially the scg thing is rough when you look at total taken in vs payout but with these record attendance events something needs to change. I mean I get that you want to cover venue etc but when you consider that competitive magic is a non trivial product seller (wotc) and probably a primary driver for the secondary market in just suprised they can't up the prizes/hype. The EV is really rough not even considering travel or lodging. At least with my poker tourneys there is at least a chance for some of the optimism. Unlike the current situation of I need to top 8 this 700 person event to cover any trip that I can't drive to and crash at a buddies place.

Edit: I think scavenging ooze is my favorite 2/2 as it has a ton of random game vs graveyard shenanigans, incidental delve and snap hate, but most of all a high ceiling

magic is a house of cards, they're all just trying to make out while they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maro said Commander isn't real magic anymore because one of the precons gave green a Banishing Light that also has the Path to Exile drawback.

but that's not even what Song of Dryads is, loving Magic players

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't know. Aside from the stupid "anything after unlimited is a proxy" is loving dumb I kind of like the idea of the format. Play decks I played in Highschool again,

if you're playing without mana burn and with the stack you're just frontin'

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I still can't loving believe they called it a batch, in the 90's no less

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

I think the real question is why isn't the journal legendary?

because you're illiterate

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

This isn't much of an own, an illiterate person being able to post mostly coherently is really impressive.

who said it was an own, I for one was moved by the story of Charlie Gordon

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I think they're Nahiri's attempts at hedron-knockoffs (it took her and Ugin to make the hedrons on Zendikar) to channel leyline energy :goonsay:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

itshappening.gif

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mehall posted:

I never spotted the -2 could only hit tapped artifacts. I saw it on creatures, but not artifacts.
That's awful!

yeah, my Aether Vial gets shat on enough as-is!

someone probably already pointed it out, but it's pretty flavorful that her ult works really well with Emrakul

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Archenteron posted:

Sorry, no Emrakul this block, just Big Gay Hypnotoad and his licid tadpoles :pcgaming:

Legendary Creature - Frog Eldrazi

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

well yeah duh, it's a Goblin

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I bet the saviors of kamigawa werewolf originally had the card draw on-cast instead of on-etb, but it was changed because on-cast triggers are now considered an Eldrazi thing.

my money is on "something something COLOR PIE"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
All I can think is "why did they call it Breakneck Rider and not give it haste"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

Maro has said exactly this; everyone wanted ninja and samurai, not a history course. There's a middle ground, obviously, but there's no way they don't just fart out dbz next time

in 2018, Legends of Kamigawa featuring the return of Level up and DF Walkers. One of them has the flavor text "this isn't even my final form!!"

... i wish..

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Fact or Fiction is dead, long live Steam Augury

(it's cool tho that the Nephalia Drownyards is UR and so is this card's effect)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
holy gently caress me it's Erayo the Mind Sculptor

e: lmaoooo he's #69

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
thank god she dies to bolt

also this is your friendly reminder to look at Jace's card number

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

'fraid I don't follow.

Unless this is a hurr hurr 69 joke.

it's a hurr hurr 69 joke you humorless autist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mehall posted:

5th Edition provides.

and it's perfect for a topical alter!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
ban Burning-Tree Emissary tia

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah but it's the free Human you can use to cast more copies of itself/other spells that bugs me the most

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

I thought you can't play both Thalia's at the same time but this is wrong, right? That only applies to planeswalkers...

if this were anyone else I'd accuse them of trolling :psyduck:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
A sealed pool with two pack Thalias and a promo Thalia can't be the worst sealed pool, but oh boy did it try to be! At least I got a game where I kept a three Thalia, one land hand, and won when they sacced their board to Abbey thinking they had broken the stalemate. Sigardan Priest > Ormendahl :allears:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

no loving way the guy who played merfolk is actually named "Dorian Finn"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Balon posted:

In addition, they're non-island sources of blue mana for the mirror. Believe it or not this can often be very relevant.

Yeah, I won a semi-final match at a state tournament because, in part, my early mana base was Oboro, Minamo, and Mutavaults while they had Islands with their 'vaults. The rest was my opponent drawing more Lords of Atlantis while I hit Masters of the Pearl Trident. I have also gotten out of tricky mana spots/land blowouts (gently caress you Ajani) by bouncing Oboro

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

The Merfolk mirror is not fun for anybody involved. It almost always comes down to "who dropped Lord of Atlantis first?"

All Modern is varying degrees of luck after a certain point; the Merfolk mirror, like Burn, is just one of the situations where it's most transparent

It wasn't even as bad as I made it sound, he was teching Skaab Ruinators played off Aether Vial, and I narrowly saved my rear end with Phantasmal Image

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

stinkles1112 posted:

How how have we forgotten this meme'rakul

feels goodd mrakul

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Relieved BW is still a going concern, but annoyed I'll need to get Lilianas. It's not so good that it will be ubiquitous I don't think, the price should slip a bit.

it's a planeswalker and a Lili at that, so good luck :sigh:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is fine, though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Koth lives :black101:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

GeneX posted:

I'm happy that koth is still alive

I'd replace him with venser in a loving heartbeat

Too bad Venser, like every other Planeswalker on Mirrodin but Koth, died for Karn's sins

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

I'm assuming the copy hits the board a 6/6 that's also Monsterous, which is tragic because it should just let you do it forever.

Read the card again :eyeroll:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

I like Tribal decks, but Collected Company is bullshit. What do?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

actually showing up to even threaten your opponent's chances of winning was disrespectful. you should have stayed home to really avoid offending them.

this but unironically, looking at you Affinity

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

This loving thread.

I loving taught literal goddamn children to play sports for years and at the end of every game, both teams shook hands because IT'S WHAT YOU loving DO TO SHOW RESPECT FOR YOURSELF, YOUR OPPONENT AND THE GAME. The fact that adult loving goons have more difficulty with this than children is both unsurprising and shameful.

bullshit, no human being would let you near their kids even if you were a licensed pediatrician

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

At Red Cliffs, Kongming and Zhou Yu each wrote his plan for defeating Wei on the palm of his hand. They laughed as they both revealed the same word, "Handshake."

:golfclap:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

I enjoy that this is a somewhat fascinating philosophical point and a plausible conclusion.

:frogout:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

End of Life Guy posted:

Drive By 3R
Enchantment R
Whenever a vehicle crewed by a creature attacks, it deals 1 damage to each creature defending player controls

cue MaRo making a joke about how the effect of Drive By should be along the lines of "destroy target nonblack creature" :smugdon:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Sorin.

I'm glad Sorin's dead stuck in a rock.

Yeah um, the Gatewatch seem out and about after Emrakul peaced out into the moon, did Jace or Tammy or even Nissa stop by Markhov Manor on the back way to Ravnica with a chisel and hammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Red Ætherling

Actually, Red Aetherling was in Planar Chaos, and their name was Torchling

• Locked thread