Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

no comment

Holy gently caress thats awful.

That outside line is uneven all over the place (and why is it there in the first place???), and are any of the circles actually circles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The problem with drana is mantis rider.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Star Man posted:

I saw someone play a precursor of the deck at a Modern PTQ in January, 2013. They had the general strategy of the deck down and played an assload of lands and beat me to death with Primeval Titan. I do remember them playing Oboro, Palace in the Clouds to recur landfall effects, but I don't remember what for. I ended up winning the match 2-1 with UR Faeries on the back of Blood Moon. In fact, I placed ninth at that PTQ on the back of Blood Moon. I don't think I won a single game one and nearly all of my wins came from riding Blood Moon to victory.

EDIT: Ob Nixilis. That's what they killed me with.

Did it make a bunch of mana then tooth and nail for patron of the moon and Ob?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

"Overwhelming Denial 2UU
Instant (R)
Surge UU
Overwhelming Denial can't be countered by spells or abilities.
Counter target spell."

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
When the hell did ghostly prison get up to 8 bucks?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8I43bF840s

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Urzas lands are next.

I can see it happening now.

Angry Grimace posted:

Have fun in a single room full of farts

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Apparently, I got cheated in the first round of my second pre-release. Guy had had way too many uncommons and the judge caught him. Still won the match 2-1 though, and I never even noticed he had added cards.

I do so love getting 2 zendikar resurgant and and a call of the gatewatch in my second pool, but the foil Ob Nix makes up for it. Endbringer is just so good.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Could not find the original post that had the mtgo image , but the Abrupt Decay promos are coming in paper.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

I actually don't think Hedron Alignment is a bad Mythic; it has the the line "You win the Game" on it.

Considering how very little it does in limited it seems like it would be a good candidate for being a mythic just so it shows up less.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
That was awesome.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

You have to get it's "flashback" in order for it to be good and that is hard to do before dying since you'd need to cast in first on T3 with a red and then have tron soon after to cast a fatty before you die. World Breaker is the card you have to be playing in Tron from OGW.

mcmagic posted:

It's a game winner against the mirror and the Bx Eldrazi deck for 3 less mana than Newlomog. It blocks everything in the format. A lot of times it's just Karn's 5 and 6. You're also going to play against a lot of decks that want to Blood Moon you early but don't have a quick clock and it those cases, hard casting it off 7 lands and a egg just wins you the game. This is main deck blood moon hate that can't be countered. The card is insane.

Whats your list? Looks like I need to test it before regionals.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Been a while since I've done a competitive rel sealed, do you still have to deck swap? Got a PPTQ in the morning and did not remember if they changed that for BFZ.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

So the top 16 of the modern classic is up.

U/G Infect
G/R Scapeshift
Burn
G/R Tron
Jund
G/R Tron
Naya Zoo
Affinity
Kiki-Chord
Burn
Dimir Mill
Burn
G/R Tron
Jeskai Control
Burn
Merfolk

http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...e=OH&country=US

So less affinity and more burn at the top than I would have guessed. Hell, one deck is labeled naya zoo and its nothing more than another burn deck. A mill deck made the top 16 lol. Combo not doing well in this one outside the one scapeshift.

This weekend should be interesting.

Wowee. 4th place tron deck has no groves, no emrakul, and warping wails in the main and board. 6th place has a thought-not and 2 world breakers main, 3 kozilek's return, no ugin main deck, and a matter reshaper a 3rd world breaker and a warping wail in the board. 13th place has 3 ghost quarters 3 groves main and 2 warping wails in the board.

I'm never going to have enough time to get a decent amount of testing in before Saturday.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The esper borderposts saw play in time sieve/open the vaults combo.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

DigitalMocking posted:

what are you guys watching?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

So my local regionals already has 240 signed up as of noon today. Holy poo poo.

I think the chicago one is already capped at 400 people. The final 50 spots went up for sale on the 3rd @ 7pm and are long gone on the website.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Texas is notorious for getting more people to show up the day off than preregister. I would figure people might get turned away tomorrow.

Thats what happened to me last time so I learned my lesson and preregistered.

ShaneB posted:

400 here in Chicago as of last night. Fuuuuck.

Going to be fun I hope. And at least there is a sealed PPTQ in the afternoon in case I scrub out (quite likely).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Death Bot posted:

heres a joke for the everygoon

Nice!

I would put a hitler stache on him though.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Apparently something is on fire at the Chicago scg so they just sent all of us outside. Combined with the 30 minutes hoogland was arguing with a judge this next round is never going to start. :ughh:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
They have let everyone back in and restarted both the PPTQ and regionals. Probably close to 30 minutes before the current round ends.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Nominee for most correct post

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I went 7-2 for 29th place out of 400. Will type stuff up tomorrow.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So why does Simian Spirit Guide tap in your hand when you exile it for mana on mtgo?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

AceClown posted:

Can you name Eye of Ugin with Pithing Needle?

Yes, it shuts off the search but not the cost reduction.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of Innistrad Draft... My LGS is having one in a few weeks and I have no idea how to draft the format. Anyone know of a good primer?

http://manadeprived.com/drafting-innistrad-for-dummies/

Money cards from Innistrad: http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=ISD

The spell lands are all good, but the B/R one is worst of them. Drownyard can be unbeatable by itself.

Invisible Stalker + Butcher's Cleaver is very tough to race, and is the worst feeling to lose to.

edit - delver is trap in limited. You will not have enough spell to flip it.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The one pack of Dark Ascension waters down the consistency of the ISD strategies enough that they are a lot tougher to assemble. It also has several powerful b/w tribal enablers to make it the strongest color combo. And w/u fliers gets a lot of new fliers as well.

It does have Lost in the Woods which if you can do it makes it worth it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Finally getting around to typing this up.

Deck: G/R Tron

//dudes
3 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//spells
4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Expedition Map
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
3 Pyroclasm
1 Kozilek's Return
4 Sylvan Scrying
3 Oblivion Stone
4 Karn Liberated
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
2 Warping Wail

//lands
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Snow-Covered Forest
2 Ghost Quarter

//Sideboard
3 Nature's Claim
1 Life from the Loam
1 Crumble to Dust
1 Pithing Needle
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Spellskite
2 Thragtusk
1 Warping Wail
2 Relic of Progenitus

Display deck statistics

This is what I took to SCG regionals Chicago. I went 7-2, and finished in 29th place out of 400. Sideboard is a little bit of a mess as I had barely anytime to test anything.

R1 - 2-0 vs. Jeskai Prowess. He had swift spears and storm chaser mages and some burn spells, and a slow keep game 1 and I killed two lands with Ulamog, and then he scooped to the second Ulamog as he didn't have a second path. Game 2 he got me down to 1 but I claimed my own chromatic star to go up to 5 and Ulamog finished it off.

R2 - 2-0 vs. Grixis Control(??) Not exactly sure what he was running, but game 1 he bolted me and snapcaster bolted me and attack once then Ulamog did his thing. He had main deck spreading seas and at least one blood moon, but I had plenty of mana to do my thing. Warping wail countered a thoughtsieze after he remanded Ulamog (:lol:) Game 2 was similar, but I was able to ride a wurmcoil to victory after EOT exiling a master of waves with Warping Wail.

R3 - 1-2 vs. Naya Burn. Game 1 was a pretty typical burn vs. tron game 1. I try and get may mana going and he kills me. Warping Wail counters a Rift Bolt. Game 2 I'm able to get my mana going and use a Warping Wail to counter a molten rain then kill two of his lands with Ulamog to by my self a ton of time. I attack, exile half his deck fetch a wurmcoil with the eye play it and claim a sphere to go up to 7 and he scoops it up. Game 3 he kills me on turn 3 on the play.

R4 - 2-1 vs. Dredgevine. Game 1 I do my thing with a turn 3 wurmcoil and turn 4 ugin and there isn't much he can do about it. Game 2 I keep a cruddy 6 and he thoughtsiezes me and takes a sylvan scrying and I never draw anymore lands besides the 2 I started with. Game 3 he get dredging pretty good and I have to exile some of his creatures with Ulamog's cast trigger instead of lands. But most of his dudes can't block so I hit him down to 5 and leave him just a few cards left in the library. He dredges, gets his last vengevine and hits me down to 6 then then plays a satyr wayfinder to flip over his last card which is a land. I attack with Ulamog one more just make sure all his library is gone and he dies on the drawstep.

R5 - 2-1 vs. Infect. I turn 4 Ulamog him and he doesn't draw enough creatures to get there. Warping Wail exiles a Blighted Agent. Also loving the second Ghost quarter for this matchup. Game 2 I try to Kozilek's Return an Agent in response to a Might of Old Krosa but he has a Mutagenic Growth and I'm dead. Game 3 I get Ugin out and use him to control the board after he gets me to 9 poison counters. Quarter the Inkmoths, Wail the agents/glisteners, just keep anything with infect off the table. I'm able to ultimate Ugin get a karn, pithing needle, and some other stuff then cast the Ulamog I drew for the exile trigger to wrap it up.

R6 - 1-2 vs. G/W Hatebears with Wilt-Leaf Liege (not sure if thats normal for them). Game 1 I do the typical tron thing and he GQ's me but I can still keep up my mana and Ugin + Ulamog wins it. Game 2 I he gets a turn 2 or 3 Stony Silence and I can never get going with his land hate. Game 3 I mull to a cruddy 5 and he gets Arbitor and Mindcensor out and I can't recover.

R7 - 2-0 vs. no opponent. After the delay due to the smoke billowing out of the air vents the judges announce that there will be no game losses for tardiness, but the match loss at 10 minutes still applies and I get a free win.

R8 - 2-1 vs. G/R scapeshift. Game 1 I play the land death game and kill all the mountains I can. Ulamog's cast trigger prompts the scoop. Game 2 I keep a slow hand and he Crumble to Dust's one of my tron lands and then gets a prime time and I scoop it up. Game three is a long one and I am able to get him down to 7, but he crumbles my towers and mines and I am stuck on mana for the majority of the game. Before he does that though I still an Ugin and able to eventually ultimate him putting in some near useless maps, 2 stars , a spellskite, and a Oblivion Stone. We go to time. On turn 2 of 5 he plays a titan and I redirect the valakut triggers to the spellskite with the stars to keep my Ugin around, but he bolts Ugin to kill him. I know he has 2 scapeshifts in hand from an earlier Crumble on my part so I leave up mana to either warping wail or activate O-Stone to kill his titan and Prismatic Omen. He goes to attack I pop the stone and he scapeshifts for his last valakut but I don't think he was able to kill me. I play a wurmcoil on turn 5 and thats the game. Opponent gives me the win which was very kind of him, and I'm going into round 9 with a chance to top 32.

R9 - 2-1 vs. B/C Eldrazi. Game 1 I keep an ok hand and he has a rather slow start with a 1/1 endless one. He draws 3 ghost quarters and I cant keep up with him and he wins it with 2 mimics and a reshaper. Game 2 I keep a good hand and he doesn't have the disruption from game 1 and he scoops to an Ulamog cast trigger. Game 3 I keep a good hand and I GQ a temple then am able to Crumble his Eye's slowing him down by a lot. He still gets a smasher out and is forced to throw a couple guys at a karn and I get to kill the smasher with a deathtouch wurm and chump a 2/2 endless one with the lifelink one to keep my life up. He pinks at me with blinkmoths while I try to find a red source to Kozilek's return them and the mutvault he was about to attack with but I never can get it. I draw an Ulamog, cast it, and he scoops it again.

Warping Wail was sweet. I was very happy to have the 2 main deck. Kozilek's return was very meh, as I only cast it the one time vs. infect. Probably should have done it on my turn to bait the growth. Needs more testing for sure.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

Agree with you on Kozilek's Return. It's not great. I know i'm a broken record on this but going forward with this deck, you need at least 2x World Breaker's main.

I was going to throw one in the board but forgot to do it as I was rushing to make it in time. I'm going to try it for sure.

They are going to have Twin vs Eldazi tonight with Cheon playing twin. And Randy Buhler is going to have the Eldrazi deck vs the winner of the no banned list modern thing he is going on Monday afternoons next week as well.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If eye gets banned, and I think its the most likey one to get banned I would be sad as it would be a big blow against tron but I would understand it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm looking forward to Reality Smasher starring in "Siege Rhino 2: This Time Without the Color Restrictions" in standard.

Bugsy posted:

From Caleb D's stream. You got your eldrazi in my rhinos! No, you got your rhinos in my eldrazi!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

bhsman posted:

Apparently Christopher Rush, another Magic artist, has died. :(

loving hell.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Mneumonic wall variants in standard that can loop Ghostway indefinitely: Greenwarden of Murasa, Possessed Skaab, Ulamog's Reclaimer (needs processing). I can imagine this deck being very annoying

There arent any ETB creatures that make mana in standard is there? Also lets you turn megamorphs over for 2w, but then you don't get the effect.

born on a buy you posted:

FoW was in alliances a set with other good cards people care about such as:

At the time Balduvian Horde was a thing.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Alliances had contagion and I thought it was a rad card.

Also Pyrokenesis.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Entropic posted:

Did anyone who wasn't around for the original slivers actually like slivers in M1whatever ?

I wasn't and did not like them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

whydirt posted:

Didn't M15 slivers start in design as another creature type and then someone realized that they were basically reinventing slivers, so why not just switch them over? I thought I read that somewhere, but can't recall exactly.

I remember that as well.

And old frame = best frame.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Brownhat posted:

I think the big reprints were Brainstorm and Swords to Plowshares

Exploration, Sifle, Misdirection, and Pernicious Deed were also big reprints.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

PleasantDirge posted:

How was icy manipulator not on that money card list? poo poo was strait busted back in the day before real rules

:corsair:

Reprinted in Ice Age.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Favorite 2 power creature? Got to be Oracle of Mul Daya, closely followed by Acidic Slime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

rabidsquid posted:

There aren't that many cards like Oubliette in Pauper. In fact it's basically the only one off the top of my head, and it's not even really super necessary it's just very strong with Grey Merchant.

Journey to Nowhere and Oblivion Ring are both commons, and I know journey sees some play I can't say I have ever seen an o-ring ever in pauper.

• Locked thread