Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Coolguye posted:

Signing an NDA does not mean that they trust her more, nor does it mean she is going to get any more "demands" fulfilled. Obviously one can hope, but the meeting yesterday appeased some of the most vocal opponents while promising a sum total of dick aside from "better communication", which means nothing. I don't mean that it means nothing is promised, I mean it literally means nothing definitive and the whiners here spent their collective load while getting absolutely nothing in return except an appearance with almir. Which if your goal was to get on TV with a minor subculture celebrity, mission accomplished, I guess?

What a world we live in. I'm agreeing with Coolguye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Tai posted:

http://imgur.com/gEzAypq

Getting back into the game with some friends. Shall I just buy the lot?

Do you care about achievements? If yes, buy everything. Else, consider stuff on a case-by-case basis.

The only ones I would say are potentially not worth it are the Chivalry, Yakuza, AK/CAR, and Dragan.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

ClonedPickle posted:

I really want to dupe a keycard at a tournament now

Let's make it happen.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Basticle posted:

Am I crazy or did they update the Combat Sight to have a rail on top with some backup irons mounted?

[timg[http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/576821368995727136/CF3D233EDF224D506B9B4B5D9EC43CBACB207D00/[/timg]

Nah, it's been there for a while.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Holding out is for bads. Run around and shoot the mans.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Holy poo poo wow.

So you play with pubbies and then you act like a pubbie.

I think there's a lesson to be learned here.

smdh if you don't smugly mock people before picking them up off the floor

Aiming is also pretty generous in this. If you can't manage headshots reasonably frequently, then I don't really know what to tell you.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They're not pubbies, they're friends of a friend. He and I play just fine (ICTV, never downed, carrying the load) and they just don't seem to get basic situational awareness things. Like the little red ring that points at who's shooting you? "Who's shooting me!?" is a constant question we get asked. It's honestly easier to let them go into custody and two-man the job ourselves.

They sound hopelessly stupid. Mock them mercilessly.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

isndl posted:

I disagree with the idea that it "literally doesn't matter". Hitting a breakpoint is vital for ammo management and efficiency; you can work around it with good play, but you're effectively doubling the size of your ammo pool when you're killing with half as many bullets.

Oh no, someone might have to hit an ammo bag once or twice. We'll never make it out.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

isndl posted:

Some crews don't need that buffer and that's great, but I've played with both good crews and bad crews.

Okay, then, it's settled. If you're bad, use optimal guns to take advantage of every possible mechanic. Otherwise, do whatever you want.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

isndl posted:

You'll note that my original comment was in response to the idea that breakpoints "literally don't matter". You've tacitly agreed that they do in fact matter. :)

In the context of people who are remotely competent at the shootmans (aka the only context worth talking about), the breakpoints literally do not matter.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

isndl posted:

There's also no shame in optimizing your guns even as a competent player, or we would all be using AMCARS and nothing else.

Optimizing a gun does not mean using the "best" gun all the time, nor does it even necessarily mean doing the same thing that someone else does. Not optimizing a gun does not mean using the worst gun you can find, either. In any case, the AMCAR is totally usable, so...

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Dude, just shut the gently caress up. This is an advice thread, as much as it is anything else. Saying "all things are fine, see you later!" Isn't giving advice to someone who doesn't know any better.

As I've always stated, there will come a time when a new player, who needs a bit of handholding. Eventually, he will get to the point where he doesn't need that anymore.

Those people aren't going to ask for advice, and your immensely lazy retort of "everything is good" applies at that point. Congrats.

For people who want some advice, why are you so dead set against giving it to them?

:qqsay:

Just to remind you, though, the point of discussion is the importance of the 39.9 breakpoint. As Merc correctly points out, it doesn't particularly matter, even for most new people. Practically every gun will hit the relevant breakpoint for one-shotting Overkill greens, and the extra bullet for tans is hardly likely to make a substantial difference. The only context in which it would make a difference is if you're really bad at scoring headshots, at which point you'd be much better served to practice aiming. See that last bit? That's useful advice for bads. Unfortunately, it puts the onus of doing well on the individual, rather than a game mechanic, so I can understand why you all find that so upsetting.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Pointed them at HoxHUD

smdh

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

jivjov posted:

The implication was definitely that Microtransaction dollars would be taking the place of Paid DLC Pack dollars.

I mean, at least this time around about half the content being released is free...but it (once again) does not reflect particularly well on Overkill.

You should know that you're very, very wrong when I feel inclined to empty-quote Drewjitsu and Vox. The microtransaction model was intended to subsidize continued development, not to entirely replace paid DLC. Any reasonable individual (though apparently not many of these exist) should understand that. The system is literally working exactly as described.

E:

Discendo Vox posted:

You're a shallow self-righteous semiliterate simpleton.

Mmmm, that's some good alliteration right there. Embrace the shitposting.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

The BBQ pack is the single greatest piece of DLC that isn't in the GOTY bundle. The flamethrower is the best weapon in the game and has only gotten better with the crimefest rebalance.

It's true. It used to seem like real garbage, but it is undeniably excellent and very DW-viable right now. It also shoots fire and that is Good.

Even Dragon's Breath ammo, while lackluster, can feel pretty satisfying. Wear a BBQ hat and cook cops every day.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Repeater is still pretty decent if you install the BLT mod that fixes its ironsights. Shame about the Lebensauger though, and the Rattlesnake is a joke even with its boosted damage.

Potentially controversial opinion, but the strength of the DMR weapons, particular the M308, makes sniper rifles a lot less appealing, IMO. I mean, sure, they can't penetrate shields, but they absolutely devastate every other enemy and have excellent fire rates.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Psion posted:

does it also have the deagle's stupid run animation?

I've got some bad news...

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Anyone have the iron sights broken? I have to sets, one normal, one "infamy." I don't have the normal set, and if I put the infamous ones on and exit the customizer, I'm not allowed to equip the Platypus. I can't even buy the normal sights with Gage Coins.

I have two different ones as well, and the normal one is broken. I didn't try to attach the infamous one and exit, though.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

New heists are excellent. You can also jump out of the plane without a parachute. I strongly recommend having your whole team try at the same time.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I actually think Ex-Presidents is better than I originally thought. I agree that it is not as good as Grinder, especially as far as ease of use goes, and it is vulnerable on DW after getting downed. However, I think it holds a substantial amount of potential for people willing to learn how to play it.

The main hangup is definitely how you lose your whole health battery to heal any amount of damage. I think this mechanic actually ends up nudging you to play the perk deck the "right" way, though. When you lose your armor, you shouldn't duck back into cover immediately. Stand out in the fire and soak up damage that is about equal to the size of your battery, and kill as many cops as you can in that time. Why? Well, because health regeneration is tied to armor regeneration, and killing cops makes your armor regenerate faster, if you kill enough cops after your armor breaks, you will regenerate all your health and armor practically instantly the moment you step into cover. That's fairly impressive, I think.

Consider also that you can achieve pretty respectable dodge values in an LBV while doing this. I think a gimmick FugiTech might be an interesting approach to the perk deck.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Regenerating health is just absurdly useful. Health used to be a coveted resource, and it's no wonder DW used to be considered incredibly difficult: after one down, you were basically resigned to playing at 10% health until you needed to hit the medic bag. Between FAKs, Muscle, Grinder, and Gambler, though, health is basically the new armor. For Rogues, using health as armor and topping off with FAKs makes sense, but the continued influx of ways to regenerate your health without expending resources has probably really heavily tipped the balance.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Geight posted:

Also what does it mean when my gun has a purple threat number? I don't have any UI mods installed.

Pretty sure the purple numbers mean you've hit the stat cap.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Goredema posted:

Make it a Stealth heist, with him as an NPC helping on the heist. There's a 10% chance that at some point during the heist, he leans in and whispers to you

...and then shoots you with an un-silenced shotgun, alerting everyone on the map. Before you can react, he jumps off the balcony, never to be seen again.

This would be an A++ troll from Overkill. Cue everyone in your lobby getting pissed off at you and not believing your explanation.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Please, tell us more about the furries.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:shittypop:

Man, Yakuza might be amazing when that re balance drops.

The Yakuza changes are mind-numbingly stupid considering they make it difficult to effectively use Berserker.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Protip: get good

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Puistokemisti posted:

I hate flashbangs so much. What a loving lovely mechanic. Oh hey now I'm suddenly blind whoops now I'm suddenly dead, welp. Asking for my friends to help me in skype results either them telling me that they are blind too or that they are too far away to help. And of course the game can decide to chain them so that you have ample time stare at blindingly white screen and reflect upon the mistakes you have done with your life, such as playing PD2.

Get Stun Resistance. Shoot cops faster. Take cover better.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Okay, you've sold me. Let's be business partners.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

as long as you have an ECM active you can go hogwild

Terrible change. Just awful.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Elman posted:

Hey, I recently bought this and I was wondering: I've running a Mastermind/Enforcer build until now, but I realized Joker is pretty underwhelming, most people run ammo bags and I probably won't like moving slowly with the ICTV. So I made some changes:

http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mSNLhJEFgBCDa:eIjeFDa:tJGBda:ghiEfgCda:fEfCDa:::

Does this build look good enough for Deathwish? The idea is being the main Inspire/Medic guy while having a bunch of utility and support skills.

I assume you're taking Grinder. In which case, yes, this will work swimmingly. You could stand to drop Martial Arts, Sixth Sense, and Tough Guy, though, if you wanted 3 points for something else. I think you might also be advantaged by only taking basic Rifleman, and instead acing Nerves of Steel to get up Technician, but I suppose that's a matter of taste

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

While grinder works well on DW, it's much easier to get the hang of DW while playing in an ICTV.

If he knows how to work a Grinder build, there's no reason he can't learn to make it work on DW. There's no need to shove people toward ICTV unless they've made it clear that they can't make any other build work. And this particular individual seems uninterested in the slowness associated with ICTV.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Hi I just started playing this game seriously for the first time and I love to dodge and grind

My grinder build uses those 2 fugitive skills that rely on concealment and getting the pirate barrel for the gl40 or any historical mask so I can conceal my mosin feels like an impossible dream

The Historical achievements are all pretty easy. Just pick one and do it. Or use different guns. There are a lot of options now, with the concealment booster.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

I'm a slut for an ironsight and bolt action on my sniper I guess. Holdover from call of duty 1.
How's the historical LMG stack up?

It's really good. Some people don't like LMGs, and that's fine. But the Buzzsaw is probably the best LMG, so if you like LMGs, try using it.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Elman posted:

Would it be ok to spec both Doctor Bags and First Aid kits for some flexibility?

It is generally suboptimal to do this, since acing both of those will suck up not just 12, but 24 points. Of which half will always be wasted.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

Stupid question: What's wrong with it?

I tried the other snipers from the gage sniper pack, they felt as effective as the rattlesnake just with smaller ammo pools. The only noticeable difference was that I could one-shot shields. The rattlesnake needs two for those. Anything non-sniper won't penetrate the shield anyway. Or has that changed? It's been a while since I played.

It's got a terrible rate of fire, and is a strict downgrade from the Lebensauger. It's usable, but there are better options. Try the Platypus maybe? One-shots Shields and Tazers, I believe.

quote:

I didn't know this. Deathwish is way beyond what I can handle because I'm a filthy casual :v: so I should be good then.

If you have Helmet Popping unlocked in your perk tree, you can, with headshots, one-shot the green cops with one hit at 32+ damage. For tans, you need 39.9+ damage to two-shot them (so 80 for one-shot). For your reference.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Half the speed of the Lebensauger, among other deficiencies, so at that damage level, it's slow. It's also no faster than the Nagant/Platypus, so you don't even gain an RoF increase for giving up damage. You could also take an M308 for similar damage and ammo, but a much higher RoF.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Stick Insect posted:

This is very useful. This is on Overkill level, right?

I grabbed an old Steyr AUG from my stash, I used it just once, I think Christmas 2014. It seems a lot more deadly now.

Yeah, for Overkill. The AUG is a solid gun now, after some patches. Honestly, almost all of the guns are pretty usable, but some are obviously better than others.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I will ruthlessly troll and flame the jp36 defenders in this thread till my last breath

It's a decent gun. Not great. But it's okay.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

even if the JP36 isn't as bad as it used to be, you're thoroughly out of your mind if you think the 23 damage it had on release was "never bad". don't even try to convince me otherwise

You could get it to 32 IIRC, which was sufficient. It was still admittedly among the weakest of assault rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

New idea, aced tough guy gives you x% damage reduction. 5? 10? Something like that.

Because we really need help with survivability at this point.