Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hey I played payday 2 for the first time today in like 2 years. A couple different people all got disconnected at various points and then couldn't rejoin the game afterwards. This didn't happen years and years ago when I used to play. Is this a new thing that happens now?

Nah, the network code has always been held together by thoughts and prayers unfortunately. I've had issues in my group where if two specific players joined a heist, the whole lobby fell apart. Patched out, patched in, we just took the risk every time. We always assumed that it was something to do with their ISP, since they lived close to eachother so maybe they had the same public IP, but no other games had this issue.

I am glad to see that Payday 3 still has connection issues :v: As we had to reset the game twice to even get 4 people into a lobby. I know this was an early build with the idea to stress test the servers and it was a solid foundation to build on, I just loving hope they DID build on it. The guns felt nice, except for the pistol, which felt a bit too dinky, the game ran fine, the animations are very nice, the AI is clearly improved and back to being a threat, overall the heist felt a bit more like Payday 1 than 2. Yeah the hostage mechanics and the callouts for assaults are back, and this time the AI doesn't get lost and run over the map like headless chickens in the calm moments, they actually gently caress off. Overall the game feels more engaging without being annoying, a good direction to go.
Here's hoping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Hi all, as we venture into a bold new world of clicking law enforcement, don't forget the Co-op goons Discord server has been set up to provide a common space to find fellow goon cop clickers- a far more pleasant experience than touching the public lobby stove.

Co-op goons Discord
https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Oh you know, follow the OP:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also a Dev diary dropped last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQK7qekPsc

The structure feels very Payday 1-like, there's an order to heists, something that was added wayyyyy to late into PD2, but it seems to take inspiration from the new Hitman where there are small cutscenes between each heist. Also the music is supposed to be 50% Payday 1, 20% Payday 2 and 30% Gustavo :v:

As release draws near I am kinda on the fence if six big heists will be enough content at the start. I hope we don't only get bank and gallery robbery, I liked the more out-there heists as well. Mallcrashers, Watchdogs or the first 2 days of Framing Frame were great changes of pace to the formula of "show up to a joint, case and clear it". Hell, despite all their shotcomings, most of which were adressed and improved with time, the Transport heists were a great addition and what really pulled me into the game.
I also hope the escapes are back, noone mentioned them, I know they got mixed reception, but the extra tension they add to a heist was great! Now that Pro jobs are a thing of the past we could repeat them, especially with seeded RNG you could pull through with enough grit.

I am getting unreasonably hyped for this, gently caress.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
:facepalm:

Why is this do bad? Well on it's defense - once you get down and play the heist, they are actually fun. But why did i have to wait 3 days to do so?
Why is everything else is do fucky?
Why is the PC UI such a clunky mess that's designed like people dont have mice?
Why is the in-game UI do full od wasted space? Where is the hostage counter? Why cant i see how many bags are secured?

The big thing is why it's all do barren? Why would i want more secondary slots than 8, when i can see 6 guns? Why is the AK47 locked do deep into the progression?

But most of all why are there only 6 maps? I always knew the game was gonna be less packed than Payday 2 as it had 10 years of dlc, BUT WHY IS IT LESS CONTENT THAN LAUNCH PAYDAY 2? Hector alone had 2 more maps than the entirety of Payday 3 (Firestarter 3, Rats 3, Watchdogs 2). And that's not counting escapes!

After all this time and 3 days od technical difficulties, Payday 3 is without a doubt my gaming disappointment of the year.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah and od the leveling is tied to challenges... why cant I check them in-game? Why can't i track or pin specific ones do i can check od i killed 99/100 cops before leaving the heist?

Ugh it's such a bad UX.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

In looking at what's available to purchase in the menus i have already run out of things to buy because everything other than new guns kinda sucks.

Edit: is there a way to stealth the first jewelry store and get the loot from the showroom?

Yes, but it required Go Bank like coordination, that is, two people loot the everloving poo poo out the back and the VIP area and two people start with a well timed control of the main area, move the hostages to the back, and control any additional civilians, which will spawn indefinitely. We managed it with uh around 25 hostages, the only guard left was the one that roams the basement, got all the bags scanned and delivered into the van. Closing doors and grabbing people by the throat do a lot of good for this mission. It is faster to grab and throw someone than to wait for their "get down on the floor" animation to play out.

Hillarously, if you fail at any point and create a chain reaction of hostages outside the store, some of them run into the street, only to be obliterated by cars that start ZOOMING once the police are bound to arrive.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, when do you earn skillpoints? It doesn't seem to corelate with any of my levels, challenges or heist completion.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

explosivo posted:

Link

Jesus. Well that explains why it was hosed again last night when we all went to play. Pretty sure my friends are done trying at this point, it's a gamepass game so it's just as easy to drop as it is to pick up.

Kids, this is why you don't do a live deploy on a weekend.

Yeah the saving grace is that since it's all tied to Nebula, the Gamepass progress will translate to Steam if you decide to buy it for yourself there. Which I probably will, once they introduce some more fixes (or christmas bonus comes early).

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

It's the peer to peer vs dedicated server issue writ large. If they implemented or had an option for p2p mode for like, the solo stealth guys and as an option for the full pre-form lobby guys, like half of the issues with last weekend could of been avoided. But then the game would have to have some sort of way to verify p2p games were legit and people aren't putting in a bunch of bullshit results (I made 20 billion dollars in bagged loot and murdered 1000 bulldozers in a single round, go me).

Yeah and who cares? This is a coop game, not PvP. Implement tools that let people kick out cheaters in-game and let those who want have their fun.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I spent my last negotiation phase running through a door again and again since it's a multi-tier challenge you can grind up to 100 door slams. But at some point bot Chains had enough and shot the lock, which prevents you from interacting with the door anymore. Rude.

Kinda wish that there were more filtering options when it comes to challenges (and tracking them within the heist), the big rear end list where there are all dumped at once is not very readable without being able to separate them by heist/weapon at least. The only filter options are All/In Progress/Completed which is just :effort:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I gotta say I do wish the guns had just a little bit more punch. The shotgun in particular feels kind of underwhelming, having to double-tap even generic swat guys at anything but point-blank ranges doesn't feel too great. Sure, you can extend the range a bit by going for headshots, but at that point you might as well just use something like the M14.

Well that's true to the Payday 2 shotguns before ammo types were introduced, hence why almost everyone picked buckshot ammo when it released.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The delay in receiving XP and unlocks is annoying, I hate resetting after every heist to play with the new stuff. However the randomization of stuff to do is way better this time around, a lot of replayability in stealth. It also changes with difficutly, another nice touch.

I wish there was a way to know I've applied Camera Loop to a camera when looking through it, not just that the camera has a blue light when looking at it from the outside. Made me think the skill was bugged :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also you can ping through any camera, you just won't see your own, or any other, pings when on a camera.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
There are actually a lot of hidden mechanics for hostage negotiation it seems. Maybe I missed the prompt about it when poo poo went down, but it seems that the cops will not want to trade when:
-someone with a gun shows themselves outside
-someone shoots someone outside
-an unsilenced shot is fired inside
All of these will end the negotiation phase and go straight to the "Assault incoming" phase.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Did we get some bad luck or did they run out of ideas at the end? Because Suprhaze, 99 Boxes, Gold and Sharke and Touch the Sky all feature the "stand here to speed up progress hacking" in loud, a mechanic lifted straight out of GTFO. I don't know if I prefer it more than "ooops all drills" or straight up waiting from Payday 2. Touch The Sky has some feeling of loud Framing Frame, as the cops can also disrupt the hack via the PC.

I mean it's fine if it was in some places, like Suprhaze it makes sense because they are supposed to have wack-rear end security, and it does both work faster and is more interactive than just standing around... but 4 heists in a row?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Having now run all the heists I gotta say it's all... fine? Like UI issues aside the game works, the new mechanics and objectives work together, the tracks are good enough, stealth progress carries over to loud in a lot of cases and stealth engages multiple players, we almost finished the night club completely unmasked. Don't have most of the skills but overall the system seems to allow for some really nice combos. I thought I was gonna wish that Edge, Grit and Rush either stacked or had more substantial bonuses than +10% of something, but since they enable most of the skills they create this interesting dynamic of doing one thing to earn them and spending them on big boosts somewhere else (clearing locks with Rush is so good), which is fun.

Also things that obviously came with engine change, like consistent line of sight mechanics, leg hitboxes (and overall regional/armor hitboxes on cops), armor shredding from regular cops, vaulting and sliding (complete with faster sliding from stairs) are good and welcome. Dunno about the challenge/XP system, with that ultimately time will tell. We also never gone above Very Hard, wonder how that will change.

I have to knock a few points off for the shittiest UI imaginable. It's easy to see that they focused on the maps first, and then just cobbled a UI together to allow level transitions but it's horrible. Off the top of my head:
-you can't un-ready
-there is no place to check what kind of favors you have, not for those you buy, nor for those heist specific you get for completing a heist - this is not even explained anywhere!
-no stealth/loud filter/preference for matchmaking,
-skills have different descriptions on the post-game unlock screen and the skill tree - I didn't know that the first Demolitionist skill gives you full resistance to my own explosions on top of them doing 20% more damage? You wouldn't, because that part is only shown once you mouse over the skill after unlocking it in post-game screen. I mean at least in the Polish version, the English one might be fine
-the loving keybinds for everything in the menus and mouse click working only sometimes to go deeper into the menus. It is especially annoying since I know this is a simple 1-1 remapping of controller settings, with no regard what would be actually comfortable for a keyboard user and you can't re-bind menu controls
-you can only modify the items you have equipped. why?

-the loving cameras overall. Okay, first of all points in favor of PD3 that you can actually control the cameras smoothly and help your teammates with them. But goddamn, doing anything else is a pain in the rear end - there is no info how many "Routines" you have for loop/automarker. There is also no feedback for when you apply it when you are inside the system, only your team sees the blue light on the camera. They don't explain that you can't apply Loop and automarking to the same camera at once. The cameras are not numbered, named or tagged, they are also not sorted well and you only can move between them in order. You can't see objective markers or pings, despite being able to ping yourself. You can't also see which one of the cameras your teammate has tagged if you are currently looking through a camera. I thought I was gonna scream when I saw that despite all this, the gallery has 20+ cameras.

-the challenges are not sorted in an intuitive manner and filtering is a joke - there isn't even a heist specific filter! Also you can't track them in game in any way.

Overall it's a good game and a solid base to work on, but coming from Payday 2 will be a disappointment in user experience, but it's nothing that can't be improved with patches. Payday 2 didn't become the smash hit it was at launch either, so I have hope.

Oh yeah and the story does nothing for me. It's nice that they bring out so many elements from both previous games (shame about almost all of PD2 being end-of-life DLC, which none of our group have played) but all the cutscenes feel so :effort:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 29, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I can't play until my friends get free later on tonight, but I was in game just to eyeball skill synergies and..

If you take:
-Grifter: Walk The Walk (With Rush, you can't be seen in private areas by Cameras,) Social Engineering (With Rush, Employees ignore illegal actions)
-Escapist: Battering Ram (If you have Rush, sprint through locked doors to breach them)

and use either the Grifter or Escapist first skills to maintain rush...

Can you just be The Turbo Team and sprint through private areas unlocking every door? It might not be crazy useful but it sounds fun as hell.

You can only use this on doors you can pick, breaching the door is a loud illegal action, and all guards and cameras will instantly pick up on it.

Also Escapist doesnt actually give you Rush if you dont have the mask on, at least not for sprinting for 3 seconds.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

swims posted:

Road Rage isn’t Watchdogs but it’s the heavy one. I haven’t even got to the last 2 missions yet though, are either of those shooters?

gently caress stealth

Dirty Ice so far is probably the best shooting gallery but most either stealth attempt or quit. On Xbox.

All mission except for Road Rage start in stealth and usually it's fine to attempt stealth until you can't, as you don't need no build for that.

I've had attempts at all the heists with loud/control builds and managed to get through in stealth even without skills as basic as camera hacking. Hell, I went through Rock the Cradle up to stealing the wallet without even masking up! Got loud then, but didn't really get to test out my build with control and civilian trading as it instantly went to final assault :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

Yup , did it again last night thanks

Hopefully it fixes it this time for good :)

Well, there's a patch today anyway, and if Payday 2 patches are any indication of stability...

:v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I already miss the 2-week cycle of Payday 2 hayday

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh I doubt that, but still can't wait to be reminded of the fiasco that loot safes were, and the exact shittiness I forgot.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Cook Off instead of Rats means we're not getting any multi-day heists in PD3, are we?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The Slaughterhouse remake did give us the best song in the game for a loooooooooooong while, so it was worth it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

EorayMel posted:

:pubstove:
It is going to take a very long time for payday 3 to :gitgud:. Meanwhile payday 2 is only $2.50 USD for the thanksgiving sale right now and at least has basic poo poo like communication features and an offline mode in case you're playing during a hurricane.

Payday 3 is missing a lot of things that made Payday 2 great. Funny enough, streamlining most of the cosmetics is one of these things :v: I kinda miss the dumb payday mechanic, you could have added buying with cash/c-stacks to it, not rip it out entirely. I do miss lobbies with visible other players, the fashion show before we enter a heist was one of the greatest parts of PD2. I miss multi-day heists with stuff like bags carrying between heists, I miss maps with variable spawns like Watchdogs or Transport heists, I miss escapes. I miss contractors having more than 1 heist each, with appropriate themes. Dealing with gangs and enemies other that just "the cops" was also fun. Let me steal some guns, make bags have variable movespeed. All those things that after 300 hours seem like annoyances, build a LOT of character of the game in the first 3 hours.

After all this time it occurs to me that, gently caress, we did need those cooks.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tulip posted:

the most surprising thing to me about the last page or so of posts is the number of people who dropped off of PD2 by or around Crimefest 15, at which point I'd basically consider it like 20% of what it was in 2017 onward

I got in with Transport (at that point grenades were still paid DLC exclusive) and stuck with it right up to the White House, that was a wild and fun ride to be on, despite it's ups and downs. I enjoyed the unique experience of getting daily updates during crimefest and the two-week update cycle of heist - masks - guns - masks - heist etc.

Pirate Jet posted:

Payday 2 also sucked rear end for about its first year and a half so I guess we’re just continuing the Overkill tradition.

However, as I wrote upthread, Payday 3 sucks not just compared to end-life Payday 2 - which it just had to, there was no way it would beat it. Payday 3 sucks compared to mid-life Payday 2 and in some places it's worse than launch Payday 2. And that's what killed all the hype for it for me.
Payday 3 feels like a sequel to Payday 1, not Payday 2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it also gave us one of the funniest and best part of Payday 2 by accident :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The expanded Cook Off is quite confusing - the garage portion is connected to the basement, but it's not very useful or interesting, as cops just don't go there. What the heist does show, is how much more ammo you need as compared to Payday 2 - we were running out of bullets at the 3rd/4th bag. It does show nicely the upgades to Tazers, we fell into so many electromines :v: Keep the hostages alive as long as possible, grenadiers stop showing any remorse as soon as they're gone, and it's not easy to cook at that point. I do like the extra "keep the meth on the burner until it changes color" for extra bag value. A solid heist.

The new Murky Station sucksssssssssssss tho. Extra tedium added by the Payday 3 stealth, while engaging more players, requires a lot more moving parts and is annoying as hell. I used the hostage to open the security room on a whim, but when we realized that is now a neccessary step to secure the satelites, it hit us just how difficult the heist has become. This is, again, made more annoying by the lacking hud elements like "how many subroutines I still have left?" or "is the camera I'm looking through looped or not?". I was never a big fan of the Payday 2 version, and Payday 3 does nothing to win me over.

For a free update, it's an okay step.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yeah, and the Cook-Off track is quite solid.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Does everyone have to own the heist when you play with friends? I know in 2 they didn't as long as the host has it but not so sure about this

No, they confirmed that only the host needs to have the heist.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

EorayMel posted:

To celebrate(?) the title change here is something fun to look at

Eh, it's not really fair since a lot of folks (me included) play the game via Gamepass. It's 1/4th the price, you get other great games with it and with Nebula accounts, it means I can play seamlessly with my Steam buddies (well as seamless as PD3 allows) and my progress will carry over once/if I decide to buy on Steam. In my opinion, there is little sense looking at Steam charts because of that.
It's still quite the blow to the numbers, and there is something to be said about player retention, for instance that all the content can be knocked out in 2-3 evenings. And, with the new changes that keep the levels the same between restarts, a lot of people might not even realize that things can change between attempts. I get why it's been done this way, but I disagree with this design choice. Because there's so little content and players who want to go through all the heists just restart the same thing over and over, it seems like there is even less of it. I for example have never seen the Road Rage armored car go to the right sight of the bridge in my 10+ completions of the heist. The Favor system being a poor replacement of pre-planning (a feature that also was never fully developed) also does little to help.

So what's left when you've played all the heists? What is front and center at all times?

The Grind.

Don't get me wrong, this being a live service game there always was going to be some grind. But Payday 3 does it wrong. The grind is long, invasive and cryptic. It's also tied to challenges in ways it never was before.
Long - as getting through all the heists gives you what, 30 levels? That's 1/3rd of the way to even having a full skillset.
Invasive - simply put, the grind unlocks more grind. The most important part of this game is shooting guns. You need to grind a gun up to get attachments for it. You also need to buy the attachments. There is a reason why most games do one or the other. Because by the time I unlocked the AK, I have fully outfitted my starter weapon and it feels decent with a scope and a front grip, and also it's now neon green. But going to an AK would mean a potential downgrade, as it would come with no attachments, no scope and it doesn't seem that the damage is any better.
Cryptic - but the AK IS Better because the game doesn't loving tell me that it has way higher armor penetration, meaning the "damage" stat is completely meaningless as cop HP doesn't scale, but their armor does. I still don't know when will I get another skill point, I don't know if weapon XP is tied to kills, objectives, do I even need to use the gun, do I need to complete challenges, how is all of this calculated?

Payday 1/2 had clear and simple progression. It could take a while to get to a decent level, but once you got there, you got the goods. Payday 3 has made 3 steps back in every aspect that isn't "being on the heist" and it's a massive flaw.

And the challenges. Making me play a specific way only to get some XP and not a real reward is complete rear end. In Payday 2, if I took the time to cook 6 bags of meth on an already quite busy heist of Hotline Miami Day 1, I got a mask out of it. Got all the bags in Armored Transport? That's a mask. Got the Diamond out with no alarms triggered? You bet your rear end it's a mask, material and pattern champ, go get 'em. Oh and roll the dice for more, we got a Payday.

I don't know man, I want to like Payday 3 but it's making it hard to see why in the world Overkill decided to gut the game so much.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I want to provide the caveat that progression in pd1 and 2 was also bad in some ways, with only payday 2 managing to be tolerable due to eventually producing adequate content. pd1 was also:

a) long - until the release of the overdrill, which everyone promptly shifted to, you were still spending a couple hundred top-difficulty clears to hit the level cap. And this was supposed to be mitigated by a challenge system that, familiarly, involved horrendous weapon grind.
b) cryptic - the underlying balance of weapons and enemies in pdth was also completely borked. There's a reason launch-era maps in payday 2 have graffiti declaring "buff the loco!"
c) inadequate - the lack of invasiveness meant the grind could still be completed too easily, which killed pdth by content exhaustion.

Yeah I know that Payday 2 wasn't exactly good with the grind either, especially with masks/materials/colors and the payday system, BUT it got way better with challenges and DLCs. If anything one would expect that some of that rubs of on Payday 3 you know? "Yeah we kinda botched the grind on release but we got better at it over the past 10 years..." should be followed by "... so we got it kinda right in the new game from the get-go".

Not "...so we've found a new, boring way to botch it in Payday 3!"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah but there is some "gaming of the system" feel to moments like getting no cameras on Nightclub and pacifying the entire dancefloor and back offices with OVE9000 Saws... on accident, when everyone was in ICTVs. Or getting that 1% spawn of Go Bank and managing to get the cash out before the vault closes.

Or delaying the inevitable, having a bit of free roam around Harvest and Tustee, but not too much, because that random civilian could set up a fuckup cascade. What I'm saying is, scouting and setting up a heist is as much of the game as the shoot horde of cops. It also gives context to the game - why are we shooting cops? - We didn't control the situation too well. -Why did we want to control the situation? -To get cash and XP etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I love a good "loud from the get go" heist, hell Watchdogs and Birth of Sky are some of my favourite ones, not to mention all the Transport ones. But there is something very cool about being in control for that period at the start. It doesn't matter how many guards did spawn or where the computer is when bullets start flying, and I don't need every stealth to be a 100% ghost run with no dead bodies.

But we are professionals, goddamnit, not some common thugs!

Also I think the game kind of peaked when they added the Safehouse. After that it's all downhill and a slow wind-down. High points for sure were Big Bank, Hotline Miami, Point Break heists.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, all we get is weekly updates on stuff that's maybe gonna happen in the future.

ZeusCannon posted:

The game itself isn't boring (from memory, since I haven't played since launch) but the grind and the things in it to unlock to keep people wanting to play are.

Play 20000 hours to unlock brown gloves

I was ironically interested to see the trade hostages mechanic. Was hoping it would let you eke out a semi non combat round etc but it was like trade increasing hostages for 4 more seconds

And i realized oh this game doesnt want to be interesting

I mean delaying the assault is a good enough mechanic, but after that it's pretty much useless. I was hoping that the "trade hostages for supplies" mechanic they advertised at launch would give you move then one type of supplies. It's all good mechanics in principle, they're just executed poorly.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, it's poo poo like this:
https://twitter.com/PAYDAYGame/status/1767888854965514279/photo/1

Okay, rotating modifiers to spice up the higher difficulties sounds great in principle but... why is it only 3 things lol. And why are they so meaningless. Like, once again, pointing to Helldivers 2, every planet has it's own modifier and they can change how the game is played dramatically, plus a lot of the daily/weekly events giving players new toys in addition to new challenges. They are also thematic, cold planets get different modifiers as opposed to warm ones etc.

Here, night or day, loud or stealth, all the modifiers work the same and can be applied to all heists. What's more, they only add anything to the stealth gameplay, if you want to go loud from the get go, this does nothing to you.

The whole developement of Payday 3 would seem like a misplaced effort but... I can't see the effort. I see things like new maps and weapon models and whatnot that you had to rebuild in Unreal, maybe even from scratch, but... I dunno.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

EorayMel posted:

With all the online-only server costs and that all the money came from preorders and day 1 purchases since nobody is buying it in 2024, I question if this game did make a profit despite what Starbreeze said. Even Embracer said it fell short of expectations and for how trigger-happy Embracer is for killing studios for far less I'm kind of surprised there's no talk, at least publically, about how Starbreeze should go on the chopping block.

I mean they JUST offed the CEO, the head has already been cut off, yet the chicken seems to run around the farm.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm also surprised how much i missed multi-day heists. I didn't think i would but the loss of the prep screen and really any sort of planning beyond "bring ammo" is a shame.

I've been saying this since before the launch. I miss having my little stories and consequences of playing heists in a specific way, Payday 2 was the strongest with stuff like Watchdogs, Firestarter, Framing Frame and actual whole-rear end Rats. Hell, the last great heist for me is Reservioir Dogs and it would NEVER have such an impact of me if Payday 2 didn't have the multi-day structure. As annoying as 5 day Rats could have been with both escapes, it added some excitement to every time you play, hell, even every restart is different. There were bad variants and good variants, and while failing an easy one felt bad, failing a really lovely one (gently caress you, center of Crossroads) meant going "yeah okay the game wants to kick out teeth in" but it made me feel something.

Heistsing in PD3 is okay, but it is mostly going through the motions every time. I still cannot believe how bland this game feels, I could write a whole-rear end book on How Not To Make Sequels here.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

they should be fine for money I would think. for all its flaws this game did sell like gangbusters. there’s something fundamentally wrong with their workflows and processes. i actually don’t think pd3 was a badly designed game. I really like the heists that are there. there’s just so much basic poo poo missing and so much jank present and such an enormous delay in fixing anything or adding new content

I remember that the excuse with Payday 2 was "yeah well our engine is a real pain in the rear end to work with" but with the move to Unreal, this excuse is gone. And that's why it pisses me off twice as hard.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 13, 2024

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Tulip posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the fact that Payday 2 is still going pretty strong and that it has a very unique aesthetic and style means that the IP is going to get used someway, somehow in the future, and if anything HD2 makes that more likely since it demonstrates that Payday 3's core concepts (cooperative ultraviolent shooter with a kind of political comedy) are very marketable, the specific studio in question just hosed the execution. I really do think we're going to get a Payday 4 at some point, I just think that it involves the existing studio dying completely and the IP getting bought by somebody else. I don't think it'll happen super fast, since 2024 has been very much a year of game downsizing, but this stuff moves in cycles and somebody is going to be smart enough to go "I could make a co-op action game from scratch...or I could try and take advantage of this decade plus old game that consistently has 30kish players after they ended support."

If I had to guess the CEO was fired so they could bring in a breaker: fire everybody, sell IP off, auction off the chairs and such.

Yeah but will it be P4yday, Payd4y or P4yd4y? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

padijun posted:

When PD2 launched it wasn't perfect but it was like 95% there. PD3 on the other hand got almost nothing right (down for the first couple weeks, worse grind, a useless UI, worse comms, barely functioning matchmaking, dead playerbase in a month)

By the time I came around to playing Payday 2, which was with the Armored Transport heists, it already felt pretty great and had content for more than just... 2 evenings. Like seriously we knocked out all of what Payday 3 has to offer in 2 sittings, all to a disappointing payoff of a plot coming from and going nowhere without any tension in between. I am still in utter shock that they made so few maps to start with. The game can have all the cool mechanics with movement, buffs, new stealth mechanics and partial success in stealth, but after 6 hours there's nothing new to check out.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2024