Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Is there a mod yet to remove the dumb 200 year old frozen player background and just make you some rando wasteland schlub who wouldn't be susceptible to a whole new hosed up ecosystem worth of diseases? And then that makes Vault 111 into just a sidequest you can completely ignore while you go kill raiders and get paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Kainser posted:

Voice acting might mess with that a bit.

I have every confidence in nerds with too much time on their hands to spend a few painstaking weeks splicing audio files together.

Speaking of, I'm working on retexturing the postman jacket in Commonwealth Survivalist Gear to not look like poo poo. I like the outfit part combos but he made his textures muddy as hell when he palleteswapped them, they look like image artifact blighted 1990s memes. It's also really funny looking at the models people have made for outfit mashups, they're doing everything with alpha transparency and nothing with actual model cutting and pasting. Doesn't help that Bethesda made their armors all solid blocks now.

Jon Do posted:

I think what you're looking for is over here. For what it's worth, as someone who was real disappointed by Bethsoft on everything since Daggerfall, I've switched from STALKER (which is great but REALLY outdated) to FO4. The materials/crafting/settlement system, while I'm waiting for mods for, make the difference. But STALKER has what you're looking for.

I sunk countless hours into CoC and can't wait for someone to actually do something interesting with it, but FO4 will tide me over for now.

e:

Capn Beeb posted:

For gently caress's sake, there isn't even a pump action shotgun in Fallout 4. :cripes:

It's lever action rifles I miss like hell

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wish I knew more about how the gently caress bumpmaps and speculars work

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Couple more changes and it should be ready to publish.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

'k, just uploaded what I've been working on. I retextured the Postman outfit into a classic style leather bomber jacket and jeans (dark brown, weathered and black variants), with the shoulder bag removed.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8193/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Last mod went over like a wet loving fart compared to immersive 4k anime pubes #234123123, let's see if this one's any better.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Finished and published it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8508/

There's a black variant too based on another version of the jacket I saw in my research.

The same guy who made the jacket-only mesh I use, which can be worn on top of other outfits, also put together what is basically Fo4's version of Tailor Maid, which isn't getting anywhere near the attention it deserves but anyway it has some stuff that should pair nicely with it, and I think his or some other mod has some brown driving gloves.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Got a surprise for you fine folks! As of a few minutes ago, I've released a mod that adds Traits and New Perks into Fallout 4!

Rad, I'll try it out. I really hate that dumb poster, and all the more since it makes it harder to add perks through conventional means. e: Any chance for Logan's Loophole? I always ran with that one in NV because I like the feeling of having a "complete" character at some point instead of endlessly accruing skills and levels, and because getting addicted is inconvenient.

-----

I uploaded my third mod today, it adds six newsboy hats in leather and plaid variations and six new (dog-compatible) bandana masks.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8836/

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 23, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Cirosan posted:

That Trait in its original NV incarnation? Probably not, because it's easy to totally replicate the benefits of Logan's Loophole with vanilla perks by level 22 (rank 2 of Chemist at level 17 and rank 2 of Chem Resistant at level 22; total immunity to addiction and twice the duration for chems). As a concept, though, I do like the idea of a Trait that adds a level cap in exchange for some grand ability. Need to think more on what could be worth the trade-off, though.

Skilled from OWB is the one I like to pair with Loophole, but I see you already have something similar. As far as perks from past games not included in FO4, it doesn't look like anyone's bothered to make a list. Between the level up perks, magazines and bobbles -- and I really like the addition of new incremental perks through collectibles rather than them just giving you a small stat increase, and I hope to see a lot more included in mods -- a lot of old stuff is probably included or approximated.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

That is really well done.

What are the stats on it? I always feel like mods like that go waaaaay overboard and that prevents me from really wanting to use it.

Downloading it now and I'll look under the hood in FO4Edit. Was going to give it a simple crafting recipe anyway so I don't have to gently caress around hunting for it.

e:

:downs:

How does 10/5/0 sound instead, at only 10 lbs?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 28, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I got a legendary set of knuckles yesterday with an enchant that does more damage or something the more substances you're addicted to, and thought that was pretty inventive on the part of the game designers. So how about a perk that encourages drug addiction/alcoholism with interesting beneficial effects, rather than a straight "you don't get addicted"?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Updated my Cap and Mask mod again to add five variations on the Field Scribe hat with goggles. I removed the stupid bit that covers the rest of your head and neck.

e:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I think it's been long enough and I've made enough updates I'd like to pimp my own most recent mod again, Caps and Masks. You can craft something like 16 hats and 22 bandana facemasks and in the last update I started putting them in level lists for bandits, gunners and wastelanders, so if nothing else boot it up and tell me if you see anything new pop up in the wild.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So that's how they're doing paid mods...

I don't follow, I didn't see anything about that.

Looks like the Season Pass will jump in price after March 1. Hoping for a sale before then...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

The third, which I consider the actual dlc sounds pretty good, their largest area yet in dlc is impressive considering how large Oblivion and Skyrim addon areas were. Also very interested to hear what else is coming.

Disappointed they're not going to bother setting it in a different place, just more generic New England poo poo. If the player could get from DC to Pittsburgh in FO3 there's no reason they couldn't get to NYC or Philly here.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Good looking friend. Going to do this tonight.

Looks like they have a backlog or something, no key yet after purchase.

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder what steps Automaton will take to convince people it's not a Bethesda branded RobCo Certified.

Maybe the robots won't randomly go hostile to the player? Maybe it'll actually be performance friendly? It looked like such a cool mod but I had enough issues I had to give it up. The Mayor of Nipton mod gives you a robot buddy that tags along anyway so that was all I needed.

e:

Eonwe posted:

are there any good mods that aren't in the OP

I'm loving the Bow and Arrow mod. The animations aren't there yet but it's really loving satisfying to drop a dude this way, and as a bonus I discovered if you shoot at two guys standing one behind the other the ARROW WILL SLAM THROUGH BOTH OF THEM YEARGHH!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8990/

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 17, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Armorsmith isn't going to uniform an entire NPC faction though.

I support any more faction diversity mods (as long as you don't go too modern/away from the canon aesthetics) future Fallout modding goons.

You can do this in a few minutes in FO4Edit. Pick the new uniform you want, I'm guessing it's like an all-black flight suit instead of an orange one, then find the level list for all the random Brotherhood scribes and either add to it or make a new one to overwrite it. You could find a Nexus mod that does exactly this and use it for a guide.

e:

Bholder posted:

Also nu-survival will have some other features like disease different damage rates and apparently limited saves.

I like the mod combination I'm using now: Loot is severely limited, so I didn't even have bobby pins to pick the first few safes I came across, and ammo is so scarce it made more sense to use the bow and arrow mod with reusable ammo; and someone cleverly made food an drink items addictive, forcing you to stay fed. My first few hours were pretty hardscrabble.

Limited saves sounds like a pain in the dick unless it means limited in where you CAN save, which was a voluntary restriction I took in Call of Chernobyl that increased the die-anytime tension nicely.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Isn't 4 post NV? Which would mean the legion is more than likely gone. Caesar at least is dead.

Didn't you hear? Canonically, according to Bethesda, the Courier kills Mr. House, but that meant the nuclear missile he was holding suspended in the air with the power of CHIM advanced technology slammed into New Vegas, reducing it to a crater.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Of course it's a joke. Everyone knows Ulysses was the one with access to CHIM.

Makes an insane amount of sense actually.

The Thirty-Six Lessons of Ulysses: Sermon One posted:

He was born in the ash among the Twisted Hairs, anon Arizoners, before the war with the historical reenactment nerds...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Limited saves sounds like a pain in the dick unless it means limited in where you CAN save, which was a voluntary restriction I took in Call of Chernobyl that increased the die-anytime tension nicely.

Turns out this is exactly how it works and you can only save by sleeping, nice.

http://www.thevaulttecinc.com/2016/02/fallout-4-survival-mode-full-overview.html

quote:

Saving
Manual and quicksaving are disabled. To save your game, you'll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat
Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with "Adrenaline" (see below).

Fast Travel
Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you'll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo
Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

And much more. The only small disappointment is that you still only need stimpacks to heal crippled limbs, no doctor bags like in NV.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 25, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mad Can: Fury Beans looks good even if it's not something I'd ever use.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Just uploaded Delta Wasteland Radio, give it a shot and tell me what you like/hate/what doesn't work.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

I had wanted to do a radio station full of old blues songs as part of my unfinished Route 66 mod for New Vegas (actually I implemented the station, but it was part of the full esp so it couldn't be released on its own), so I took some of those and added a bunch of more artists from the 1920s-1930s (Leadbelly, Memphis Minnie, etc). There are 36 songs and four station ID segments by a robot.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Saint Sputnik posted his own radio mod further up this very page! I haven't used it (or even played since two weeks after launch!) so you'll have to let us (and him) know!

Old World Radio has a huge selection and I think one of the stations brings back classical. Mine is just a handful of old blues songs I like, but someone else just published a blues station with 100 songs and there's probably enough overlap to make me obsolete.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rirse posted:

Tried your radio mod, Saint Sputnik. I really like it a lot. So glad to have something to listen to again besides Diamond City Radio, since I blew up the Institute.

Thanks! Someone caught a goof I made with the original file that prevented some of the songs from playing so I hope you got the fixed version.

Funky Valentine posted:

What's been done without the GECK so far is pretty drat impressive considering it's basically just script changes as far as I can tell.

Turns out you can do a lot with the FO4Edit program, and it's as simple as changing or adding some text fields. I've only come across two mods that use scripts, one that adds a sleeping bag and one that kind of works as an alternate start mod but is kind of poo poo.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Oh, and Saint Sputnik. I started using your radio mod. I love it! For some reason it feels way better roaming the wasteland with it than the regular radio. I think the blues fit into the background easily, whereas the regular radio is more or less pop songs that have a lot of ear worms, but quickly become played out. Great job with the robo-DJ too.

Awesome, that's good feedback, thanks. I'm in the process of cherrypicking another list of 20-30 extra songs, including a bunch of artists not currently on it, so I'll see if I can get those added this weekend. I wish play was randomized, but it wasn't in the example framework I used so I'll have to see if I can figure it out. I think with the vanilla radio, you get a different song every time you load a save, but DW picks up with the same song in progress and I found it a little irritating in repeat-dying gunfights.

At the same time, I'm considering putting some selections from the Conet Project together (https://archive.org/details/ird059) into a numbers station sort of creepy-as-gently caress ambient radio. Need to come up with some lore for it though.

And yesterday I updated my Caps and Masks mod (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8836/) since someone released some neck- and head-wearable bandanas and let me integrate those models, plus I had some knit caps I'd been meaning to publish.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Just uploaded a 40-track expansion to DWR, and I serendipitously found how to more or less randomize play. It's 38 new songs and two station IDs. New artists include Mississippi John Hurt, Texas Alexander, Robert Johnson and Sam Collins.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11087/

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Your mod did get me thinking about what I'm going to do with regards to radio stations in my future mods. I used to be a radio maint-tech for ATCALS stuff and radios are near and dear to my heart. I derive sexual pleasure from radio chatter and a perfect 1khz tone. I was thinking maybe a bunch of smaller radio stations you can only hear in certain geographic areas. Maybe an ATIS broadcast playing from the airport (BoS could have a quest to co-opt it for their propaganda or something), or some sort of "Sky-King" style emergency broadcasts from the army base? There is precedent for these smaller radio stations in FO3. I think there were number stations too?

Oh, and remember, it's totally possible for shortwave or AM freqs to bounce off the ionosphere and transmit across the globe! Add in some fluff about the nuclear fallout making that way easier to do and suddenly we have an excuse for RUSSIAN RADIO (or, Chinese I guess).

What would be really cool is if the radio functioned like your PDA in certain Stalker mods. There's one for Clear Sky where you overhear a lot of chatter in general and some of it is world-related, like the location of a monster or someone announcing he has a special item for sale. It would make sense a lot of factions would have their own bands they use to coordinate stuff, like Railroad agents sending coded messages or merchants talking about trade routes, dangers, etc.

I can imagine the functionality would be there... Radio songs are set up the same as dialog options, and those can have quest conditions attached (such as, in this case, spawning a monster or randomly generated high-level item).

And Old World Radio, which is a pretty massive collection of different genres, has the Gopnik station which is Russian music. I haven't listened to it enough to say if it's very good or not.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 27, 2016

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

As far as I know FO4 just uses the diffuse, normal and specular maps, but there's also a Material file (BGSM) that governs all three (and is used for palletswaps without having to edit the model itself). There's a tool for creating one; I've only used it to edit existing. But it's nothing you need to worry about till after the model and its UV maps are finished.

Also don't forget that with something like a hammer, you can stack the segments of the UV that are going to look identical, like the metal faces of the hammer head. You should be able to resize individual segments too, depending on the level of detail it needs -- the bottom of the handle won't be seen much so its segment doesn't need to be the same scale as everything else.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Your mod did get me thinking about what I'm going to do with regards to radio stations in my future mods. I used to be a radio maint-tech for ATCALS stuff and radios are near and dear to my heart. I derive sexual pleasure from radio chatter and a perfect 1khz tone. I was thinking maybe a bunch of smaller radio stations you can only hear in certain geographic areas. Maybe an ATIS broadcast playing from the airport (BoS could have a quest to co-opt it for their propaganda or something), or some sort of "Sky-King" style emergency broadcasts from the army base? There is precedent for these smaller radio stations in FO3. I think there were number stations too?

Just had a thought - imagine assigning some of these spooky stations to roving eyebots. You're walking around and hear some distorted foreign voice dispassionately reciting something, accompanied by a tortured warble of an almost familiar tune, and you can't see where it's coming from, but oh god it's getting closer...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Cirosan posted:

Debating whether or not I should do more work on Traits and More Perks when the release of the GECK is (allegedly) close at hand and all work will have to be redone with that.

Barring the GECK coming with some unforeseen completely new way of doing things, I don't imagine you'll have to redo your work. You'll probably be able to open your existing esp in it and keep plugging away, probably with some new functionality.
--------------
Debating whether I want to try the survival overhaul beta. I like the sound of everything in it but mods are disabled, and I've gotten too used to everything I use. Hopefully won't take long for the dust to settle and things to be made compatible again.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Deadly Mongoose posted:

Has anyone tried any mods that allow for on demand large attacks on your settlements?

Defending the castle is cool and I would like to see that happen at other settlements.

You might try this
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11091/

though I think there might also be a Pokeball portable version floating around somewhere

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

lethial posted:

Is there a way to figure out what mods were used for my saved games? My SSD just died and along with it my fallout 4 installation and mods. I like to continue my saved game now that the DLC is out, but I have no clue what mods were used for the saves since I stopped playing months ago after I got annoyed with the game plot after the introduction of the institute... :( Please tell me there's a way that I can salvage my saves.

I think FO Mod Organizer can read save files and determine which mods were used; not sure if it's needed to use it in the first place for that to work. You don't have a Nexus account to keep track of what you downloaded?
https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

This might be the final version of my hats and masks mod, can't think of much else to do with it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

staberind posted:

Hmm, well, weaponsmith and armorsmith, not to mention the legendary modifications all allow you to make things, personally, I'd like to do a merge of the merge mod I'm running with legendary, its fun to have raiders spawn with minigun rifles and old school knight swords, I am running a bunch of "remove extra chromosomes from settlers" type mods, & joy, someone has released a long hair with physics compilation. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11402/ it makes a change to Soul Survivor.

I made a merged patch of a bunch of weapons and clothing that are supposed to spawn on raiders and gunners, and it sure makes things interesting to spawn just about anything on anyone at any level. I got chewed up repeatedly by a gang who had an AK-47 and a minigun rifle because the guy with the minigun was at the very top of a high-rise and had a pretty commanding view of the battlefield. I ended up having to seek higher ground myself in a bombed out building across from them and plink at them across the void. Then the one with the AK then snuck up the stairs behind me...

I've kinda broken something though because occasionally a raider or gunner spawns in without any weapon at all. Anyone have any idea why?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

staberind posted:

it could be that the rng picked a weapon that you dont actually have installed, I'm pretty certain one of the compilations I use is a bit jinxed, I have a slightly weirder problem of occasionally having synth heads running around with those robot dlc raiders, I think I'll make a fake data folder, reinstall all my junk to there, then make that an archive with the compilation esp, of course then something else will come along that updates/breaks that.

Now that I've merged several more gun mods together I think I see what it might be, ammo drops also seem to be level dependent... so maybe if the RNG gives a guy a weapon but no ammo for it, he doesn't get the weapon after all?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

staberind posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/m...review%3D&pUp=1 This has a fuckton of potential, like spitting and saying "gently caress" at the press of a button.

A dedicated swear button? Finally, I've been waiting for one of those since Fifty Cent: Blood on the Sand

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Why can't I figure out where the game keeps references to the audio files that play when you listen to a holotape? I mean not the files themselves but the reference IDs that make the file play. They're not in any of what I'd consider the logical places to look in the main game .esm.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Just downloaded it and looked at the files -- your normal is good, though you could put the embossed text into the diffuse as well, but the biggest thing is it's missing a specular layer, which you could use to give it a shiny metal with matte rusty area effect.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Took the plunge and tried out the survival beta, but I'm not able to load a save. I made a copy of ModOrg's plugins.txt so I can paste my list of asterisk'd mods every time I start, but the save either acts like no mods are checked or it just crashes on the loading screen the second the little randomized model appears on the right side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

You cant load non survival saves in survival, you can down grade a survival to a lower difficulty but then cannot put it back up. Also mods are not officially supported yet, and any UI mod will cause crashes for sure, except the couple specifically made for survival.

I should have specified, I was able to start a new game in survival mode with all these mods enabled. No UI mods, I just turn opacity opacity to zero in the game options to give me a clean screen.

• Locked thread