Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

reporting for duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i ride my bicycle to work in communist china on a separated bicycle path and only have to go onto the sidwalk/road for about 50 meters between my apartment complex and the start of the bike path

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

last year i went from a wedding in boston to visit my sister in baltimore and i considered amtrak but it was more expensive than a flight and took like 8 or 12 hours or something stupid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

concord trailways serves all my carless boston <-> portland needs. it's cheaper and not really any slower, plus if i time it right i can get all the way to bangor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Tatsujin posted:

i like how chicago will charge you extra if and only if you are leaving O'Hare on the Blue line, or if you're going to/from the bears game from the commuter rail station

a lot of systems seem to do this. like the beijing subway is (was? i havent been there in a while) a flat 2 rmb fare except it's 7 rmb if you go to the airport. i've seen similar things in other places too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

24 hour subway systems are actually rare though. new york's is the only one i;ve personally seen except for tokyo on new years eve. tokyo doesn't usually run 24h, neither did london or madrid or beijing or hong kong or seoul or singapore or any others i've been to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

the only actual BRT is the tunnel in Seattle, cross traffic and its associated gridlock, rando pedestrians, people driving in the bus lane even though it's illegal, etc will keep it at slightly faster bus

what do you mean the only actual brt? why doesnt something like this count

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

in this mythological universe where a bus that doesn't suck exists then yes im sure people use buses instead of sitting in traffic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shaggar i recently went hiking in hong kong. they have a pretty good subway system that takes you a lot of places, but the trailhead to the mountain we were hiking is about 12 km or so from the nearest subway stop. there's a few people that live out there, and a public park with a family walking area as well as some pretty good mountain trails and a public campsite etc, but that place is literally never going to be serviced by a train.

so we took one of these to get from / to the subway station

explain to me how this is bad? im willing to learn

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

triple sulk posted:

union station, 30th street station, penn station, back bay/south station. idk whats so difficult.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Moist von Lipwig posted:

god I loving love transit chat I LOVE TRANSIT CHAT

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

lol if you plan a trip without thinking about specifically how you're gonna get around based on local availability of transportation

this is one of the worst parts about america. her parents coming from korea might not think about this stuff because you can take a last minute trip to any major city in asia and worry about details like how to get around once you get there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my sister lives in somerville.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

lol the stats for the T don't include the green line, the one 99% of peopele i knew in boston lived off of

yah the green line is the one i used to use the most, by far

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

yeah and im sure its the same w/ the other cities in the list, but its not included cause Wikipedia

yeah the article for the green line specifically classifies it as light rail

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

even tho its identical to the other lines

its older though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i threw up on the green line once

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I see old Chinese men pushing the same amount of cans on regular rear end mountain bikes all the time it they can do it so can a fat out of shape computer toucher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOYZGJWh8tc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

every time something on my bicycle breaks i just look up how to fix it on youtube. works great

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

you cant make bus and bicycle commutes more practical. they're fundamentally garbage.

my bicycle commute in shenzhen is extremely easy and practical because they have a separated bike lane from my apartment to my office and the buses in singapore are amazingly good & on time always so it seems like it is possible?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

maine is bad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i grew up in maine in an area completely devoid of public transportation of any kind. no buses, no trains, only a single taxi car that you had to call in advance, but instead of shaggaring it up i loved public transit as soon as i lived in a place that had it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yard salad posted:

I went to Maine for vacation. We ate lobster and went sailing. It was good.

it was good because you left

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fun fact if you're ever in shenzhen you can ride the bus for free because im pretty sure the drivers dont have authority to physically remove people from the bus. i used to see a family that just boarded and never paid and got into an argument every time but never got kicked off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my sister used to live right beside that sinkhole in baltimore

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres a real brt

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cygni posted:

fuckin lol

get in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

I almost didn't vote for our transit bond because it had specific language for bicycle lanes which are an oxymoron.

i absentee voted for the transit bond because of the bicycle lanes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blugu64 posted:

beep boop plants and trees are worthless garbage, must build trains beep boop

i'd rather have a compact city where i can take the train to walkable neighborhoods than a strip of trees in the middle of the road that i can't walk to

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

blugu64 posted:

correct except that subway and elevated rail are also bad, and is extremely disruptive to the natural environment and takes away from greenspaces around the city.

im curious what this guy thinks is the ideal city transit system, considering he thinks buses, elevated rail, and subways are all bad and disruptive to the environment and that green space is good. i guess i'm supposed to drive everywhere with a strip of bushes on the sides of the roads? lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

"oh its totally different here guys!! I swear!" - every full of poo poo foreigner

im american and it really is totally different hear guys i swear.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shaggar was... wrong?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted: