Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well, Eurogamer absolutely loved it. I've decided I'm gonna give this a go, I'll miss the epic storygaming Xenoblade had but it sounds like they've built a really phenomenal open world game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What the heck are you going on about icantfindaname?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Read a review that was angry about the music and saying you might as well hit the mute button (Gamespot) and then I took a listen of the OST on youtube and its actually godlike? Am I going crazy or are these people really hosed up.

It does sound more like an anime soundtrack than a videogame one, but it's still pretty drat good in its own right. Alot of people just seem to be very self-conscious about any guitar music with lyrics, as seen with all the awkward justifications for liking Metal Gear Rising: REVENGENACE's incredible soundtrack, as it is too 'buttrock' and not serious enough

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Are the sidequests in this game going to be similar to how they were in XC where you need to do a bunch of them to develop relationships in cities, and the sidequests will consist of killing one type of enemy over and over in hopes that they drop a rare item?

That was really my only gripe about XC, I loved the game otherwise.

I think Fossil Monkey's legacy lives on, judging by the comments written about some of the sidequests

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure what item it was, but there were items in Bionis' interior and Prison Island that were rare drops that you couldn't trade for, and you had to collect five of them. I'm not against going out and collecting like most MMOs, but please don't leave it up to some really bad RNG.

Yeah Fossil Monkey was one of those, to the extent there was a good chance there wasn't a single one on an instance of a map

Anyway, hopefully the implementation won't be quite so frustrating this time, or at the very least they're not gating significant amounts of content

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 30, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

I literally stopped playing Xenoblade when the cool humans reached the stupid knock-off ewok village full of nopons. I don't remember this Riki but perhaps that is best??

Hopefully those little choices will let you foster a ludonarrative dissonance and say "gently caress all these little xenos" even as they scurry along behind you and become friends in the plot.

Good Lord

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Welcome to my ignore list ... Xenoblade Chronicles X soundtrack :getin:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Last Christmas I accidentally bought a year of Amazon Prime so I'm sorted :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've put my NNID up too :)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Echoing it's really worth reading the in-game digital manual, there's lots of stuff in there which otherwise isn't explained and isn't immediately obvious

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I settled on Simon the Digger, using the Yuri Lowenthal voice. With a game like this all you can do is embrace the anime

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

anybody know what potential does?

Increases soul voice effects mostly, I believe

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol at all the Kusanagi characters

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is there a way to view multiple quest locations on the map at the same time? Manually checking each quest and seeing if it's nearby is a pain ...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dieter, the Epicure is a real piece of work

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What's that stat in the bottom right corner which is high on light armour and low on heavy armour? Overall ether resistance?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When in doubt, assume it's a Skell/Flying Skell exclusive area

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Petition to change title to Xenoblade Chronicles X: Ah ah ohoo wahoo / Ooh oh oh huaahoo.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: Such a lust for Skells, ah ah ahoo oohoo oohoo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Every time FFXII's gambit system gets attributed to DA:O a little piece of Yasumi Matsuno's souls dies

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I bought the Pima strategy guide just now, the eGuide version is $10. No regrets, this is a very good guide that gets you through the story missions in way that won't requiring searching all over Google or asking in this thread.

There's also a 25% off coupon active for any of their guides right now, just put in SAVE25 at the checkout

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

:agreed:

I've never had this much fun exploring in a game. The art design, level design and enemy ecology all come together fantastically to make the world really interesting and dangerous to explore, even just trying to sneak past some high level enemies to reach a probe site in the distance can be really fun and rewarding. The sprint and power jump both really help too, it was a really good call to make movement so snappy and powerful for a game of this scale, it seems like a really obvious thing to do but I can't think of another open world game where movement is so liberating. It reminds me alot of my days goofing around with level 1 characters on vanilla WoW, just checking out the level geometry and going on epic treks around the world, only they've built an entire coherent game around the concept.

Obviously there's things they could have handled better, such as the questing and party/inventory management but when I'm spending 95% of my time out exploring this insanely vast and detailed alien planet it doesn't really detract from the experience in any significant way, I'm just having too much fun discovering hidden waterfall plateaus and hunting down boss monsters

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jakk posted:

Is the game's story appealing to people who aren't that into anime/not familiar with the Xeno series storyline?

The game's story isn't really worth talking about. It is however a strong contender for best open world game of the year, if that sounds appealing to you definitely get it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It seems kinda stupid to spend an augment slot on something which doesn't change your average DPS at all when there's so many other options which just flat out improve your combat performance

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I just finished chapter 4 and am in the middle of doing Vandham's affinity mission, and I think I've hit a wall with the game. I feel like I'm starting to hit my limit on accessible probe sites, since a lot of them are locked behind high-level enemies or mechanics skill levels. All the missions left to do are random collectathons like pearls and rabbits, or weird poo poo like weapons testing. I'm level 17 and the enemy I need to defeat for Vandham's mission is level 20 and still manages to wreck me. It's hard to tell if I'm effective as a...Blade Fighter? Thingy? The beam-oriented one right before Galactic Knight. My party gets wiped out often and I don't have any HP recovery skills. The combat is different enough from Xenoblade 1 that I can't really transfer most of my knowledge to it, and I only played as Melia anyway. Is there a way to level baee and class levels up quickly, or is it just a matter of hitting things and doing missions?

You can get a ton of probes by being brave and sneaking past hostile enemies, it's not actually that difficult most of the time. Really the only ones you shouldn't be getting are the ones hard-gated by impassable terrain and Rank 5 Mechanics ones. It's also pretty feasible to fight things up to ten levels above your own too, which is a great way to level quickly. In general the game rewards you for taking risks and pushing your luck and you'll probably have alot more playing that way too

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was really cynical about the story and the doubling down on the MMO elements, ironically I was right but it had pretty much no bearing on the quality of the game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like you can actually do the story sidequests this time because NPCs don't appear for only a few hours per day. I really would have liked to see the Nopon drug ring quest in Xenoblade but gently caress navigating the space-time maze of Frontier Village

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Got bad Dragon Age 2 feels from the Murderess mission, I hate it when antagonists can just walk away for no good reason because the script says so, if I had my way she'd be rotting face down in a bog in Noctilum right about now. Do her affinity missions make her any less of an awful person?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mia is a blight on humanity and should be annihilated

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's actually hilarious how if you toggle with Y or A and the game can't find a target it'll perform the usual Y/A function. For an experienced developer like Monolith it's hard to understand how that made it out of Alpha

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm convinced to see the ending of this game even if I give up on this terrible grind simply because part of me is absolutely convinced this is a prequel or sequel despite all the pre-release stuff. The Nopon just keep name dropping poo poo and it's starting to make me irate.

The Nopon culture now requires the chosen Heropon to slay a god to make rent, Tatsu straight up mentioning hom-homs and frontier village just gently caress offff

Mira is the new world Shulk creates at the end of Xenoblade, that's why Primordia looks like a blown up version of Gaur Plain, the Nopon are one-to-one the same dudes from Xenoblade and the Telethia are still hanging around. Whilst there's no direct evidence for this, given the contents and visuals of the world it seems like a pretty good bet to me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I genuinely would like to know how they could go from telling such elegant, tightly composed story in Xenoblade to the unstructured mess of this game. They couldn't even settle on a recurring, memorable proxy antagonist like Metal Face, you just fight some interchangeable nobodies who turn up twice and then uncermimoniously die, except the Wrothians who you fight once and then join you. I know one of the scenario writers changed but it's still hard to understand how they so profoundly dropped the ball

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rework your FrontierNav setup and then do some sidequests once it's somewhat optimised, I was pulling in 25k per tick at that point and didn't have any trouble fielding three Skells for the battle. For the amount of time you'll spend doing side content, it really is worth getting your probe network into the best possible condition at every new opportunity, the extra money you can earn from keeping on top of it makes a tremendous difference in the long run

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think having a quest board for each region would have been a good idea. I've still got a backlog of stuff in Noctilum and Oblivia and flying over Sylvanum I just think 'wow, that sure is a load of ... stuff'. There's not really any reason to engage with a large amount of the content, other than the nebulous chance of getting crafting materials, I'd actually have prefered it in this case if the game were a little more MMO-like and you had more in the way of structured quests which encouraged you to explore areas properly on foot and fight alot of the enemies you're otherwise likely to just fly over

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hah, I've never lost even one point of skell insurance!

You need to know when to stick your tail between your legs and run :smuggo:

Well, I did lose 1 point of skell insurance on my lvl20...

Have you been to Sylvanum yet? Very bad Burning Crusade memories :negative:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I did a quest in Sylvanum where I had a contest with some hunters over killing some enemies, then I went and rescued some ice cream cake that had been stolen by a prone robot but when I got back most of the group had be kidnapped by prone so I went to the cave they were held in to rescue them and found out they'd tried to eat one of them so they skinned her alive and tore her to pieces whilst she was still conscious. I'm not sure if there was some opaque choice and consequence design there and I just chose all the worst options or if it had to play out like that but Jesus Christ

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Your mistakes will still haunt your soul, especially if you're a fan of showers or something.

I thought that one was pretty obvious, as soon as it was clear she's infected keep her in sight and stop her following any strange alien compulsions, she's no snail!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Strange alien compulsions like "wanting to take a shower"? Typical goon

I'm pretty sure she says something about her skin being really dry and peeling and then having a strong urge to have a shower, after it's clear the monsters in the plant are the former scientists who succumbed to some kind of body horror infection. Made sense to me at least when given the option to keep her in sight and stop her doing anything stupid. At the very least I thought it was one of the better multiple choice quests because the information you need to get the good ending is contained within the same scenario, unlike say the helicopter quest in Noctilum where you can only bad bad endings unless you overhear a random NPC in NLA

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

:iamafag: Tatsu is here to serve not BE served! :razz:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I really don't know why they designed an elaborate and in-depth Job system which rewards creative ability and skill combinations and allows radically different playstyles and then built an endgame based solely around farming mats for one dimensional superweapons. I was having alot more fun with the game when my damage was coming from careful managed auras and sick double cooldown combos rather than thoughtlessly spamming by robot skills on cooldown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

State you're disappointed at best with Lao

• Locked thread