Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress you, giant deer that inflict Sleep nonstop in Oblivia, stop aggroing me when I'm killing a Tyrant :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

That Tyrant wouldn't happen to be a pig that's always asleep would it?

That's the one. I managed to kill it with my level 15-18 team but failed to get drops because the deer joined the fight and killed everyone

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

zedprime posted:

You should still get any drops from things you killed even if something comes along and kills you before combat officially stops. The loot window pops in after respawn.

Huh, neat. I guess I just got no drops then.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I just turned those off completely because I know some jerk is going to post spoilers eventually

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

By the way if you have kids you should play this with them. It started out as the "dinosaur game" and is now the "robot game" where we "hunt" the "dinosaurs" for "meat" followed by excited comments about how it's "nice we have a license now to drive a robot car".

Several pages back but yeah this game is great with kids. My 4-year-old daughter is obsessed with dinosaurs so all of the indigens are apparently robot dinosaurs, e.g. duogills are flying robot plesiosaurs. It's okay to fight indigens, but only if they're "mean". Whether or not a robot dinosaur is nice or mean is totally random, and when she finally decides upon a mean robot dinosaur for me to fight it's usually the resident level 90 Tyrant that will push my poo poo in

I let her redesign my character and now I'm a blue lady with a butterfly tattoo on my face, and she chose the bikini for fashion gear so she can go swimming. She turned my barracks and mechs into a kaleidoscope of mismatched colors that hurts the eyes.

While I was driving around Oblivia I got distracted and accidentally drove off a cliff into the abyss. My daughter thought it was the most hilarious thing and ordered me to do it again. A couple minutes later my insurance was all used up :rip:

Taear posted:

The side quests in Xenoblade unlock another line for characters to progress down, going from 3 to 5.
The side quests in Xenoblade also allow you to raise affinity for characters that have some personality.

I quite like the sidequests in XCX because they feel in the same vein but most of the characters have so little to them. It's such a strange decision since the characters were talked about SO MUCH for Xenoblade, I don't understand it at all.

And ImpAtom you're the one being weird and unreasonable. What you're saying isn't fact and you're acting like it is.

The side quests in XBC were a means to an end. You did a ton of terrible boring quests to boost area affinity to unlock the few quests that actually mattered.
I prefer X's side quests (the NPC quests, not the basic missions) because the content and NPC's involved are pretty enjoyable, the objectives are (usually) better, and your decision making during the quests can alter the outcome and get people killed. I mean, I just got a quest from an Orphean to sabotage a Ma-non's election campaign. This is way more entertaining than grinding collectibles for that Nopon on the Bionis rear end, which is what the vast majority of XBC's quests were like.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I wonder what the main theme of the game is.
Like one of Xenoblade's main themes was people losing their humanity because of revenge, but I'm having a hard time summarizing XCX's thing.

The main lesson of XCX is that if you have to save only 20 million people in the world, you should at least (endgame spoilers) spare a few spots for the family of the people who are assigned to protect your digitized personality. Honestly, Lao gets a lot of poo poo ITT but the selection committee for the passengers of the White Whale really should have seen this coming after screwing them over like that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

YMMV but I killed a single Xe-Dom in Cauldros and got an Octopus Board from it. I dunno if the drop rates are different between regions

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This affinity mission is having me get >3000 bucks from FrontierNav in one go. I dunno how to get paid so I'm just standing here waiting...

I think you get FrontierNav income every half hour of active playing. Just do other quests while you wait.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Is the post game any fun? I liked ground combat more than mech combat if that helps but it doesn't feel like there's anything left for me to really learn so it's just crafting for gear upgrades to kill bigger things. Does it take a stupid long amount of time to craft said upgrades? The augments look like Yes but I don't know if you really need those.

If you like the ground combat, explore the caves in Cauldros. There's a lot of them, and they don't let mechs inside so basically everything there is specced for ground combat.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's just criminal that you can't get Matthews's trucker hat in this game

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I have yet to get the ice cream cake quest but am really looking forward to it whenever I manage to get it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I had a lot of trouble with that one too but people in this thread gave me advice and I ended up beating it on the first try. It takes a very specific party. You NEED Irina. She's the best healer/support unit. Use Lyn/HB/L to tank the fucker while Irina heals and just unload with all your best damaging arts as fast as possible. There's an Assault Rifle art that inflicts topple on Mechanoids guaranteed and it's very useful to interrupt it's attacks and keep it locked down. That big attack that's killing you when it gets close to death is coming from those canons around the room. You can't get out of range because they encircle the whole chamber so you have to interrupt the boss with a topple/stun to stop it.

Definian Downfall is really tough but you gotta do it if you want to recruit Mia. Also the boss, Rexoskell, is one of the time attack opponents so you gotta beat the mission if you want to make certain weapons/gear since they require materials from the time attack version.

I struggled with Definian Downfall until I realized I was being killed by Beam attacks. I slapped on a piece of armor with Reflect: Beam and beat Rexoskell without breaking a sweat.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I still can't believe they gave you 17 party members and you don't get at least one party member from each xenoform. I want to put together a party of humans, Nopon, Wrothians and Orpheans so badly. What a waste of a good opportunity

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

All you have to do for Nopon Skell piloting is have the Nopon sit on a crate in the cockpit using cartoon extendable hands to reach the controls (or have other Nopon on standby in the cockpit so piloting is the collective effort of three or four Nopon). I don't think they'd have to change ground combat at all.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Safety Scissors posted:

Who cares what race they are? Nothing about them changes. If all xenoforms were replaced with humans, it would have zero impact on everything.

It would have had a huge impact in that you could have dressed up more xenoforms in jeans and t-shirts.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Also none of your arts cost fuel in cockpit mode, so that's the time when you bust out your most costly move

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I said they don't cost fuel, not that they don't have cooldowns

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, there's a few level 90 Tyrants that'll rip you to pieces still. And, um, you're gonna have a bad time against anything that reflects Ether.

That said, crafting the "negate ether reflect" augment is trivial

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'd have been happier about X's skell combat if we'd had more boss fights like the Zu Pharg. I wanted to fight a space battleship in the endgame and all we got was more skell-sized mechs

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The_Final_Stand posted:

I'm at (final boss (?)) Vita, and he's kicking my rear end.

It invariably goes like this: I cut him down to half health on his first phase easily, maybe losing a teammate's Skell. His second phase goes about the same, until he throws up his shield at like 1/5 health left. I kill the shield drone, again, with ease, then he spawns more minions and TPKs me.

It's possible I'm not highly levelled enough? I'm at 44, Elma and Lin are at 42, and L is much lower down at 35.

Unfortunately for you that's not the final boss. There's an on foot final boss following the Vita battle, and it will turn your party into sludge at the levels you're at. Level up some more, and get a level 50 skell

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

JTDistortion posted:

From last page, but holy poo poo is this true. Especially when the weather changes to loving spores right in the middle of the fight.

oh my god I didn't realize you could get spores in the middle of that fight. That's amazing

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, I did the second Bihano water purification plant quest this morning.

This game can be really hosed up sometimes. Seriously.

Those quests were pretty jarring, but looking back on it, body horror is in basically all of Takahashi's games. Xenogears had some pretty hosed up stuff in it that got glossed over thanks to The Chair

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

By the way, I dunno how but I got this G-Buster Skell sword that has like 60k attack and is insanely good. Was that a mission prize or was I just lucky? It's making it much easier to chump harder enemies. If I have four lv 30 Skells, how strong should the enemies I engage be? I've been sticking to lv 35-40 max. I dunno how ambitious I should get. The bigger enemies like Falsaxams have so much loving hp that even at lv 30 they take forever, but little guys are easy. Also trying to bring a Skell into Sylvalum is funny but also stressful.

You got lucky. Congrats on getting one of the few Skell weapons that actually matter. The Scythe, G-Buster, and Phoenix weapons are basically the only really good Skell weapons until you hit the postgame mega-grind. When you get level 50 Skells you'll probably want level 50 versions of those weapons (the scythe comes preloaded in one of the heavy mechs, I forget which). If you have a Drone weapon, those aren't bad either.

There are two things you'll want if you plan on punching above your weight in Skells. First, you'll want accuracy augments, because without them you'll be missing most of your attacks. You can't afford to have G-Buster miss. The other thing you'll want are damage boosting augments, specifically the Slayer augments that boost damage against a particular monster type, like Insectoid, Humanoid, Ultrafauna, etc. They stack, so if you've got 5 Insectoid Slayer XX augments on, your G-Buster will be dealing 200% extra damage per hit to all insect enemies. Thankfully, these augments are generally pretty easy to craft. Most of the materials are common drops, and if you don't feel like grinding those you can buy them with tickets.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Just started, so please be gentle:

They turned me loose to do whatever I pleased, so I did some running around planting probes (I chose Pathfinder), and the next plot mission requires me to survey 15% of Primordia. I'm at ~12% and can't reach lots of the remaining survey points (they're up high, seemingly saying "haha sucker come back when you get a robot that can fly") and/or don't have the mechanical skill necessary to place them.

Do I just keep running around for now murdering poo poo and exploring Primordia until my rank goes up and I can place the higher-level ones, or are there paths to the high areas that I'm missing?

At the stage of the game you're at, the easiest way you can raise your survey percentage is to salvage a lot. Go to one of the hexes where the icon is a sparkle, and use your mini-map to find all the yellow dots in that hex. Salvage as many as possible. When you salvage the right one, you'll get a message at the top of the screen saying something like "Segment Recon complete". That changes the hex icon from a sparkle to a gold star , and your survey percentage for the continent will go up.

You can try to go to the monster head hexes and fight the tyrant there, but when you're in the first few chapters of the game, you're pretty likely to get mauled.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Another question, and this might be stupid or I'm missing something here but is there no way to increase the font sizes in the game?

Nope! Have fun!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

I've tried definian downfall but I get wrecked by randoms. I can take on small parties but as soon as the enemy is like 3 or more I get destroyed.

Any tips for Rexoskell whenever I finally reach it?

If you have any armor that gives you Reflect Beam, equip it. Barring that, equip anything that boosts beam resistance.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Welp, I stopping playing this game for a while and found I have no desire to pick it back up. Guess I'm done. :shrug:

Seriously, the grind for items in the postgame is ridiculous and pointless for a game that isn't actually an MMO. Skell combat is so bad, and ally AI is painfully bad, so high level on-foot battles are basically solo infinite overdrive or instant death. I can appreciate the advancements Monolithsoft made in creating a world so fun to explore, but goddamn they have so many gameplay issues to solve for the next game they make.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The game is needlessly complex and there really isn't any reason for it to be that way. They needed to trim out so much of the nonsense from this game.

It's truly amazing how much useless crap is in the game. You see a lot of pointless mechanics in Xenosaga Episode 1 too, so I think this is just what happens when you don't give Takahashi a proper editor and just let him do whatever the hell he wants

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Give me mech battles in space goddamn it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

Playing the first Chronicles for the first time and boy am I glad they have the Japanese voices. I'm only now heading to colony 6 and I couldn't stand the voices. I never really had a problem with English accents but it was getting super grating.

:whitewater:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't think I'd buy a re-release unless they reduce the grind for getting augments, weapons, and mechs in the postgame. There's really no need for it in a single player game.

Louisgod posted:

I think they should've left out the mechs. Sure, they're neat but ultimately breaks the foot exploration of the game. Instead they should've given you like a super jump or limited use jet pack to get to more contentious areas. I loved exploring XBX on foot.

I couldn't support ditching the mechs because they're rad as hell. I'd love it if you got a jet pack or super jump as well though, coupled with quests that require you to ditch your mech and explore/scale an area

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah, dynamic cues for the vocals are good, but that might run into the issue of some fights being too short for those transitions.

This game would have been soooo much better with dynamic cues for most of the music. I learned to hate the flight music after doing at lot of landing and jumping in quick succession. Should've done something else less jarring instead, like adding extra instruments or vocals to a continent's music when you were flying.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the worst battle theme in both games is the music that plays when you're ambushed. They're going for "tense" but the themes are just irritating

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

XENOBLADE 2 AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'll be happy with XB2 so long as I'm able to dress up my party in tank tops and jeans.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Part of what made XB great was that every character had a niche and set of abilities that made them useful even in the endgame except Sharla. Riki was a lot of fun to play with and was great for taking on enemies above your level because his DoT moves never missed. My favorite party composition for the superbosses was Shulk, Reyn, and Fiora, because they were really good at keeping bosses perma-toppled. But really you could use any characters you wanted to take on the toughest fights except Sharla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like that the Zohar just got smushed onto the Monado.

• Locked thread