Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The New Los Angeles theme is the best.

1 2 3 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The wind blows hard in December...

e: Should have been the thread title, imo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

review scores are dumb and serve no purpose other than to enrage nerds but they are a good indicator of how game reviewers are fickle, bigoted nerds themselves

A well paced and interesting post does not excuse the numerous grammatical and spelling errors. Its content is also somewhat problematic in today's landscape and overall, I think this post could have done with a few extra months of development. 6/10.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Stunning animé

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The worst thing about the music is how it abruptly cuts out when you're given a dialogue option.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you don't wanna watch Gamexplain's 27 minute review, he uploaded this that summarizes everything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Can you customize the parts/color of your robots in this game ala Front Mission? I hadn't even thought about that until now but that's a serious game changer if so.

Yes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2-UgouPmm4

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HFWf4ARzuE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I would have named them Kex. Fly your Kexs around Mira, upgrade your Kex with new equipment, color your Kex until it looks the way you want it to!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nichael posted:

This game looks beautiful but I can't really get into things if the story is bad. I understand the story isn't great but how weak is it exactly?

Anyone here who would tell you that has only glanced the story from Japanese streams and non-official translations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She is important.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SM77E9uXw

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoehead posted:

That's not new Chie is it?

No, that's Erin Fitzgerald, one of the voice options for a female main character. Lin's Cassandra Lee Morris.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

anybody know what potential does?

Increases healing done, as well as increasing damage done by arts that use TP

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

G-Whizard posted:

Picking this up today and haven't been keeping up on the thread. Is this game pretty dense? I thought Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS wasn't too bad but everything I've seen for this game looks like it's much more complicated. What I'm really asking is, are there decent tutorials or does it just throw you in without much explanation?

https://cdn03.nintendo-europe.com/m...oniclesX_EN.pdf

Read it and you'll have a way better understanding of things.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Baal posted:

I picked Harrier because it said I got to fight tyrants and that means listening to uncontrollable mor

Uncontrollable is real loving good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Go to Change Fashion Gear, then Press X -> Unequip Gear

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm a little confused on the social grouping. Is there a goon squad we can form or do I have to deal with Goku Joined Squad, Goku Leaves Squad all day.

When you start up the game, you can choose to join a Squad consisting only of people in the Friends List. You can also turn off Squad notifications.

Rexroom posted:

Started playing this. Is there a command to make your teammates retreat, or do I have to deal with my buddies following some dumb alien beast who jumped down a cliff?

Press + and use the D-Pad to issue orders during battle. Use ZL/ZR to change which party member you're ordering.

Stormgale posted:

So is there any way to tell how difficult a mission will be, just stepped out of the tutorial and suddenly 32 aggressive mobs I seem to have to kill (I'm not even level 10)

Do you mean the quest where you have to pick up the comm device? Approach the object as far away from the enemies as possible during the night. It's possible.

axeil posted:

Is the combat the same? I really liked how you had to think about chaining things together rather than just mashing attack constantly. Monado visions obviously aren't in, but is there anything else cool they did instead?
Combat is not exactly the same. It's cooldown based just as before. Every Art is now split into being based on either your ranged weapon or your melee weapon. Pretty much all Arts now also have a "Secondary Cooldown" which counts down when you're using the weapon of that type of art. So, instead of using Slit Edge immediately when it's off cooldown, if you're using your melee weapon (you switch weapons by pressing X), a second cooldown will start, and once it's done, the Art is stronger. The second addition is Soul Voices. Your allies in battle will call out for you to do certain things, and a corresponding Art on your bar will highlight. If you press it, the one who called out as well as you will have some HP restored, and Affinity will increase. Some of your Soul Voices will trigger challenges (pressing the B button at the correct time), which if you succeed at, everyone in the party restores HP, you'll activate whatever bonus you have set to that Soul Voice, and party morale will increase. More morale, more Soul Voices.
Finally, using Arts, auto-attacking, Perfect-ing Soul Voices, and some other things, will increase your TP bar. Some arts require 1000 TP. Reviving a party member costs 3000 TP. Going into Overdrive, which is somewhat like Chain Attacks, except you only control your own character, and Tertiary Cooldowns will start counting down, which is like Secondary Cooldowns even better.

You can also target certain appendages on monsters to weaken them, there's some consumable items, there's Skell combat and all that entails, mix-and-match Arts, different classes, buffs and debuffs... basically it's still super involved and constantly mashing attack will not get you far. Or at least not as far or as smooth.

Farg posted:

So what classes are good? I got up to partisan eagle and it feels weak.
Remember to upgrade your Arts and Skills!

Lord Ephraim posted:

There's quite a few affinity quests that ask you find some random gently caress item with no direction other than the continent that its on. You cannot drop the quest nor move on with the story until you clear it. This is my major complaint with the game. Literally using ideas from Dragon Quest VII. I had to run around for 3 hours to find the right enemy and pray for its rare drop twice.
You can buy items that drop from monsters in your barracks, by using reward tickets which you get from doing Squad Missions or Squad Tasks. You cannot buy items that go in your collectopedia, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm also kind of frustrated because all the drops I've been getting are much better than anything I can buy in the store, and I don't quite get the whole gear creation thing. Should I be doing that? seems like a waste of resources for stuff im just gonna swap out in 2 levels.

Also is 14~ too low for nocilum? I ended up fighting Goetia at 15 and poo poo was hard, way way harder than anything else I had been fighting. Could be that I wasn't doing the fight right, but most of the time I end up staring at my cooldowns while looking at my feet. Maybe that's a WoW thing?

Yes, you should be doing that.

No, it's not. You can go pretty much anywhere and find enemies suited to your level.

Have you been upgrading your arts and skills? With a few levels in upgrading them the cooldowns should be way less. It's also better to not just mash an art when it gets off cd and instead focus on finding the right opportunity to attack.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

So can you actually straight up play with people online and hunt monsters together or do you just compete in your own worlds hunting monsters

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/3u77rz/xenoblade_x_multiplayer_information_thread/

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

enojy posted:

Teddie and Prinny are the same voice actor? Fuuuuck. I'm not some anti-anime elitist or anything (e.g. I love Teddie, I bought this game, I used to put Inuyasha on adult swim as white noise to fall asleep to, etc.) but I loving hate Disgaea.

Also re: voice actors, Yuri Lowenthal is Junpei from Persona 3, right? And Elma's VA is Mitsuru? They both sound way too similar and it's sorta making this feel like a Persona 3 MMO that has almost nothing to do with Persona 3 besides possessing guns and fighting monsters of varying sizes.

No, Lowenthal was the protagonist and Ryoji in P3 (and Yosuke in P4), and Elma's VA is Caitlin Glass, who has not been in any Persona game.

Junpei is Vic Mignogna, and Mitsuru is Tara Platt.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 5, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So apparently, if you get Shadowrunner from rank 6 in the Commando class, you can target enemies you're not in combat with, activate the skill (for 1k TP), then immediately exit the battle before actually starting it, for the duration of the buff's time, enemies will not target you, functioning as a stealth mechanic.

So that's nifty if you need to get somewhere with high-level enemies.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The night theme in Sylvalum is incredibly soothing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Also if I hated the first game because of the combat and ridiculously slow first few hours will I like this one any better?

No.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, Secondary Cooldowns only fill when you're using the weapon of the type that art is. Use guns to fill the SC for ranged arts and the opposite.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Can you power level them by taking them as deadweight for high level fights at least?

Yup.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Welcome to New L+A.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I don't think I understand overdrive, I just mash all of my abilities as they become available and try to make big numbers. Am I doing it right?

The biggest numbers come from waiting for the Tertiary Cooldowns.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Alris posted:

Thanks for the answers above.

Next question: What is the song that plays when you fight Tyrants?

UNCONTROLLABLE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgudF-hVlDA

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't like these jar-jar binks lookin motherfuckers.

Racist

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you level up Commando to rank 6, you get Shadowrunner, which acts as a 20 second stealth if you use it out of combat (by targeting an enemy and using it, but without attacking the enemy).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Are the ten-bear-rear end kill/gather missions from the board necessary or worth doing or should I be looking elsewhere for stuff to do?

No, they're just sidestuff that you can set aside and go "Oh that enemy has a marker above it, let's kill it" while you're out doing actual missions.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a better way to target a specific body part on the larger monsters other than just hope you angle the camera in such a way that the part you want autotargets (and then you lock it if you're fast enough)? I read the manual and that's pretty much all it says about that. Target cycling seems to only cycle between different monsters, not bodyparts.

Move closer to it. Then lock onto it by pressing down R3.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

pissdude posted:

am i an idiot for just always pressing Equip Strongest gear

Maybe. Augments make a big difference.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can beat enemies way tougher than you with proper Arts, skills, augments, and Soul Voice configs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tobias Grant posted:

How's the translation so far? I've been keeping away since I heard that the translators basically just wrote over a bunch of the religious themes and references, which seems dumb since those have always been a part of the Xeno games, and that they put in a bunch of meme poo poo.
no they did not

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm enjoying the combat in this game but am still pretty :psyduck: over most of the new mechanics. I'm really suprised they went for an MMO thing over a traditional JRPG. What benefits does being online/in a squad actually get you? Should i be worrying about putting auments on weapons and stuff right now or is that mostly an endgame thing like gems in the first one was?

Reward tickets allow you to buy enemy material drops which is used for not only quests but to develop new gear and skells. And yes you should be using augments they're good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question about fighting with Skells- I noticed that the green bar doesn't fill up based on what weapons out, is that just a ground only thing? Also when the camera suddenly jumps into the cockpit to show you staring the monster in the eye while blowing it away is that just for visual flair or am I supposed to be doing something?

Secondary Cooldowns are only for ground combat, yeah. And when you go into cockpit view, all your cooldowns are reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Always keep in mind that you can buy enemy material drops from the safety and comfort of your barracks.

• Locked thread