Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
POSTIN FROM THE PAST WHATUP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where is a good site to go look up the strength of square/rectangular tubes. I am wanting to build a cycle-kart and try to keep it as light as possible, aluminum is out the picture (I dont have the equipment to do so) and chrome-moly is possible. Though I know the NHRA says chrome-moly is only tig weldable, but I have heard that mig welding is possible. I am not building a hot rod or drag car, just a small cart with a 6.5 HF predator engine.

Basically, its got to haul itself and my fat rear end around in it, with a small engine. I am guessing the whole project will end up around 600 lbs with rider, cart and every thing.

You want to calculate the bending stress of a uniformly distributed load on each beam segment. Use this page to calculate each segment.

Or get someone to design it in an FEA environment. Honestly that's probably your best bet, come to think.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You guys, seriously.

CANCER CAN'T BEAT THE ROCKET

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Was reading about a planning meeting in my hometown of Richmond, VA:

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_505f3ead-ec97-5267-8c9f-c83dbbb60af6.html posted:

Michael Parsons, 27, said he moved to Richmond about 2½ years ago and described himself as the kind of person whom officials would say the region wants to attract — young and interested in settling and raising a family. But Parsons, a social worker, said he is troubled by the segregation that he sees and urged the audience and presenters to break down those barriers. “Mix things up. … Raise people up from poverty,” he said.

Johnson said he believed race relations here are at “an all-time low.”

“We have to find a way to have that real conversation,” he said. “That’s where we’re lacking.”

Yes, Michael Parsons seems to think that race relations are at "an all-time low" in Richmond, VA, the former capital of the Confederate States of America.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Local minima can look an awful lot like global minima on the right scale.

Agreed. Dude bro needs to zoom out a ways

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

leica posted:

[e] How freely should it spin? I have no clue if it's spinning like it should be.

If you feel any gravel, non-uniform resistance, or catching, replace it.

If there's a decent amount of axial or longitudinal runout, replace it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rheydf obut ofiebn did btjid bot id nt edofinbt/

tjust bugtticjkdkr doresfren fojeneredithig doitnign.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

oikownwrifht. fick if thsid fgoetting poo poo shfoir me ijantomoyre anfterkm toneits

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Adiabatic posted:

oikownwrifht. fick if thsid fgoetting poo poo shfoir me ijantomoyre anfterkm toneits

The sad part is I can actually figure out most of what he's saying.

I'm pretty sure this one reads "Oh I know right. gently caress if this [bitch] getting poo poo [from] me anymore after tonight"

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GO PANTHERS

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Just got a performance bonus at work!

...and then immediately went out and bought this

GOOOODBYYYYEEEEE SHOOOOUULLLDERRRRRR

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

You see many Cape Buffalo in your neck of VA?

I'm gonna make one out of Tannerite.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

loving hipster caliber in an awesome CZ rifle.

It can shoot .458 Win Mags if I'm feeling like a pussy that day.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Some people don't like uniqueness and just want bang-for-buck. This is okay and A Good Thing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah seriously, it's like me saying "I love my .45-70 and all you dudes that actually hunt with .30-06 are sheep".

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

AR-15s: The LS of the Gun World.

Ohhh so you're just contrarian about everything, got it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well in that case you do you, boo boo :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Aaaaaaand now I have to get into reloading.

The cheapest I can find .458 Lott is $4.50/rd. That's $90 for a box of 20.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Locator posted:

Welcome to the world of Dillon!

Well, unless you want to do single stage reloading like old codgers and load like 30 rounds in an hour. Maybe.

I'm perfectly okay with reloading 30 rounds per hour of .45-70 Government, .458 Win Mag, and .458 Lott.

Just ran the numbers, and here's the reloading breakdown, per round:
code:
.458 Lott             New:              $4.50
                      Reload w/ shell:  $2.63
                      Reload w/o shell: $1.39

.458 Win Mag          New:              $4.50
                      Reload w/ shell:  $2.44
                      Reload w/o shell: $1.34

.45-70 Gov't          New:              $1.50
                      Reload w/ shell:  $1.04
                      Reload w/o shell: $0.52
If I could find some super cheap 500 gr .458 bullets, I could cut the first two prices by 25 or 50% probably.

Only costs $800 up front to get started reloading, too :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yessssssssss

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamnit. People do not need to be calling me at 1 loving 15 in the morning unless their house is on fire or someone just died. That's nice that you're drunk, and I'm really happy to hear you got laid tonight (no I'm not actually, it's been way too long for me and Rosy Palmer's brothers and cousins and friends have lost their touch), but don't wake me up to tell me.

I'd just fallen asleep too. :fuckoff:

This happened to me too last night, except somebody actually did die :smith:

Best bud from college died in his sleep unexpectedly.

Rest in peace, buddy

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey AI, look at this website for your non-AI-but-wanna-be-AI buddies!

NEAT

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

jonathan posted:

Me too but the joke is on them for I do not have a house phone.

Dad's aortic valve replacement had to wait until morning.

In all seriousness, sorry about your friend. This is a bad week for cat and friend deaths.

Thanks dude. My family is putting my childhood dog friend down this afternoon too, so this week has been interesting to say the least.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

2015 has been great to me. It's lovely for a second but it's been overwhelmingly positive.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

2015 was awesome and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm building a cat shelf for my sister to store her cat on. Pics soon!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

CAT SHELF

STORE YOUR CATS

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

To be fair, they're playing the Panthers.

Go Panthers :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SuperDucky posted:

e: Adiabatic, because gently caress the Braves for being awful people for loving over the city of ATL like they did, the Panthers' regional influence is interesting to me. You're in VA aren't you? Why a Carolina fan?

I was born in Charlotte and lived there for 15 years. Went to their first game against the Falcons and watched their 13-0 lead get walked over. Seems like a fitting payback game today :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Boo. We had a pretty sweet NYE party past year but none of my roommates wanna do it again. I loving hate going to the bar on NYE. Elbow to elbow everywhere and it takes 45 minutes to get a beer. Not to mention cops every 50 feet. Already in a pissed off mood about it.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If I know of a party I will go. But I highly doubt my girl is gonna wanna stay in on NYE with me doing jack poo poo. I get super anxious at crowded bars. I hate it.

I too had fun once. It was awful.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

God damnit, Rhyno

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Please no. Last time this just devolved into guns and OBUMMA and I lost respect for a lot of people.

DID SOMEONE SAY GUNS

:clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint: :clint:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Still haven't heard back abiut my piss test yet. Freaking me the gently caress out.

You generally only hear about them if you're caught. Don't go asking about it like a dummy.

They've probably just gone forward with their internal checks and schedule, and the next you'll hear anything is when they need to contact you about something else.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Not surprised. There's a lot of students who aren't ready for college and it doesn't help that some of the first semester courses are designed for students to fail.

With engineering school this occurs the same as any other, but then it's the 200 (sophomore) and 300 (junior) level courses that REALLY gently caress you in the rear end and make you change to business.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

I dunno, I did better in 3000 and 4000 level classes than I did in 1 and 2, because they weren't so goddamned boring and I actually did my homework because it was fun.

Yeah you also built your house over again for funsies

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

As long as we're showing off our course-load dicks:

Should be a fun semester :sun:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

(⚠ lool contrarian opinion alert ⚠ close your eyes kastein)

Hi hello I think it's super dumb that you have been made to feel you need to do this here.

Kastein quit going off on corn in the fridge he's not trolling you (anymore) he just has differing opinions and an English sense of humor.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

Good luck to the next fuckin elephant that comes in my backyard.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

scuz posted:

My feet are shuffling down the self-made plank of occupational ultimatums. Below, the stagnant three-shades-of-grey Neapolitan doldrums of tech support, business casual, and acceptance by my family and loved ones. Behind, wheezing from debtees. Their breath reeks of rotten goat's milk and reminders that nobody else is to blame but me. I've made this plank and the decision to get poked and prodded down it towards my monochrome future of email updates to and from hedge fund managers and financial industry half-wits. Parking ramps. Power lunches. Paychecks. Sadness.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hi Im back from Xmas whatup y'all

Can a cracka get a TL;DR on the past 6 pages

• Locked thread