Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Honestly I am surprised there have been no (official) ISIS attacks inside the US. How hard would it be to get a boat, a couple of guns, sail up to the coast and then attack some random place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

The amendment is not agreed to 56-46.

We now move on to the Brown (D-OH) amendment, which would permanently federally fund the medicaid expansion at 100%.

My god that would be amazing. Please. Though of course it has (had?) no chance

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What in the gently caress? I knew this guy was an rear end in a top hat when it comes to gays, but I thought he was always a Bible literalist, which would mean non-violent.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

What? These a part of the bible where after a city falls the kill all the adult men and sell most of the women and children into slavery or taken as wives, what bible are you reading? Being a bible literalist would mean being pretty drat violent even if you exclude the old testament

the second half, which many evangelists believe supercedes the first

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

He did a political ad with Ron Howard for Obama.

Sorry it's Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=22b_1224802621

"Change to allow us to trust our government again."

Yeah, that video of the dismembered corpse of a beautiful idea definitely belongs on Liveleak

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Here's an emotional article about one of the 16 year old survivors of the Oregon community college shooting that happened recently. It really just has to be read. Quoting and bolding chunks will do it no justice.

I read the first two paragraphs and started crying. I'll have to finish this later, because I need to prepare myself. I cannot imagine how terrible it must be to go through such an experience.

I'd also like to thank you for sharing this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Slate Action posted:

Ted Cruz to be burned at the stake.

How can I vote for this

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ben Carson posted:

If people actually listened to what I have been saying, they will see that it makes perfectly good sense,” the candidate insisted.
Hmmmmmm now JUST WHERE HAVE I SEEN THIS BEFORE????????????

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/0...ews.google.com/

I think the thing that bothers me with this is they keep referring to him as Mr. Obama. Pretty sure you are suppose to refer to him as President Obama.

Just a weird nitpicky thing.

nope, that's an AP Style thing. nothing disrepectful at all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

The only time passion enters into his voice is when he mentions islam.

I bet by February 2017 the “announcement” will be made on the View or Oprah show that he’s “converted” to it

islam is pretty great. kill yourself, infidel

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Yeah, yeah, some bad guys, influenced by a strange form of isLAM, did some bad stuff, BUT DONT BLAME ISLAM EVER AND LOVE ALL MUSLIMS, SHAME ON YOU IF YOU DON’T. Gd bless Americans who love Muslims and screw the rest.

I put MIGF on ignore, did it get banned and reincarnated as this? loving hell.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Joementum posted on just the last page I believe that the current iteration of the no-fly-no-gun thing allows the would-be purchaser to appeal the decision. You're getting your due process and furthermore I actually don't care about creeping incrementalism in rolling back gun rights.

Edit: repeal the second amendment while we're at it

Due process doesn't mean there is a process to get off the list.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

lol if you don't think Sotomayor ends up with that belt via TKO

pretty racist imo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Anything else? My Poly-Sci professor just warned me and my colleagues about getting hate speech/threats from nasty folks, and I'm starting to wonder if things are that volatile around here...

How many sciences is he a professor of? im impressed

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

He's gonna be real mad about the Grammys.

e: it's in some stupid MSNBC video, but Jeb just called Trump's proposal "dog whistle politics" so maybe Republicans don't actually know what the term means.

It's totally a dog whistle. The secret message is that muslims are dangerous terrorists.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am very disappointed and upset with President Obama, Chuck Schumer, and other Dems who are trying to pull this whole "No-fly list = No guns for you." It completely undermines the gun control movement by trying to tie it to this list that, as far as I know, how no good oversight or probably even constitutionality.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've never seen pictures of those two men before, but the instant they showed Buckley's face it was completely obvious that was him. He just has a face that fits everything I know about him.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Obama's proposal for it provides for an process to appeal the decision.

That's nice and all, but can't one just be arbitrarily put on the list in the first place? hosed up, if true.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

baw posted:

I was falling asleep and I figured I would check a few more threads. I barely finished reading this post before saying "oh gently caress!" and accidentally waking up my wife who said "wtf" and I said "the Gore Vidal thing is on Netflix!" and she fell back asleep. opened up a new tab for Netflix and searched and bam it is available here too. I love gore vidal and I had watched some previews about this documentary and am very happy to have stayed up way past my bedtime watching it. Anyone with an interest in movement conservatism needs to watch this documentary because it is about the battle lines being drawn in the late 60's

Gore Vidal was a national treasure, his essays about the US should be read by anyone with any interest in US politics, and his novels should be read by anyone with an interest in literature. I'd recommend starting with Creation, (after watching the documentary, just so you can get an idea of how transcendent his writing ability was.) He was almost superhuman in his brilliance and way ahead of his time, for instance explicitly talking about dogwhistle racism years before there was even a word for it.

Most importantly, he also had an absolutely amazing gift for pissing off right-wing poo poo heads.

Wow. I actually Gore Vidal was just some Democratic politician... Never knew he was such a fascinating guy. Thanks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Best case scenario for the Democrats is that Trump gets the Libertarian party nomination. They'll get ballot access in 45-49 states.

On what basis could anyone say Trump is a libertarian?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Typical Rubio, barely getting his job done.

Joementum posted:

Uh, he's a white man obsessed with money.

Sure, but so is everyone but Rubio, Cruz (iffy) and Fiorina. He hardly talks about the "free market."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Straight from the man's mouth: I love war.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "And Jesus Christ says we need to forgive, but I’m not like that."

And the next line: And then, he added, “I think we need to kill all the Muslims we can kill.”

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I guess pointing out that, for example, trans women are the same gender as other women, that's the entire loving point, is lost on them.

No poo poo. They don't accept the idea that gender is a social construct.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Majora's Mask was sold at a higher price than Ocarina of Time.

well it was the better game.

or so a bunch of nerds have said on the internet. I guess I was too young to appreciate its beauty. Instead the drat timer stressed me the gently caress out. I was having heartburn at 11.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If we start exporting oil then companies will probably start shipping to offshore refineries or other areas that have lower enviromental standards.

Right now the Refineries in the United States that work with the oil that is on the export ban provide many middle class jobs. We risk losing these jobs if refining goes over seas.

This is a pretty good explanation:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Energy/2015/0513/What-happens-if-we-scrap-the-US-oil-exports-ban

Basically, we lose jobs, oil prices go up etc..

Yeah but what about Oil Executives? Do they make more profit? This is the important question.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hillary Clinton did not know when Star Wars The Force Awakens is coming out. Wow. Guess I'll be staying home next November.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I just realized that Martin Shkreli could be the next Jordan Belfort.

Zero chance. Belfort took advantage of rich people (mostly). Shrekeli took advantage of sick poor people.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

Happened to a goon a few months ago.

He OD'd, though

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe Democratic governors should stop being cowards and doing this right before leaving office. Like, say, day 1 of their term. Then the felons will be able to vote once or twice at least, and it will be harder to take that away from them again. But of course asking Dems to have a backbone is a losing proposition.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You know what else makes bread moist? Chewing on it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I guess Bernie thinks we don't have a country

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

Actually, the difference in living standards between now and other points in American history is even more pronounced for racial minorities.

You don't say

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shageletic posted:

What do you mean? Compared to now and 1960, the unemployment rate actually increased for blacks. Poverty shrunk by 10%, but still hovers around 33%, housing rates, household savings, income, insurance levels, and healthcare metrics have improved slightly (but not in relation to whites), but have either stagnated or even shrunk in the past decad3.

try 1860, sucka

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

D&D/RSF is a lot better if you put MIGF and a cop on ignore, FYI

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

i mean it is true, technically

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thump! posted:

a cop let's his guard and the trolling down some times and actually says reasonable things, so I like to think he gets a pass

90% of his posting is sycophantic Trump worship. I don't care if it is honest or not. Luckily none of his posts are funny or interesting, so no one bothers quoting him as they do with every MIGF post.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Moktaro posted:

Why not have Congress do it themselves, it's not like they have anything better to do.

:rolleyes:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/congresss-surprisingly-productive-year/421314/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo ya'll, Ta-Nehisi Coates weighed in on Star Wars The Force Awakens:
http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/12/star-wars-and-the-benefit-of-low-expecatations/421593/

• Locked thread