Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like a government shutdown would crowd out Trump in terms of media coverage, but would also allow Trump to rail against the establishment even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

I stared into the abyss of a Donald Trump related CNN comment section, and leave it bewildered. What is the appeal of being a mean spirited rear end in a top hat? Worse, taking pride in being "un-PC", which really only translates to kicking people who are already down?

Secondly, where do they get this poo poo? It's not in the bible to be that way. It's not in children's programming. Hell, most media in general has some sort of "don't be a raging rear end in a top hat" vibe.

We have a presidential candidate here in the Philippines whose schtick is about the same thing: he brags about extra-marital affairs, he brags about having shot criminals dead and burning the bodies afterwards, he cussed out the Pope because the Papal visit left him stuck in traffic

And much like Trump, he just gets more supporters and rabid fans for it.

The main thing is that if you're tired of "establishment/traditional politicians", a candidate that shoots his mouth off distances himself from those kinds of people, because even Huckabee or Ron Paul etc still have the slightest veneer of speaking like a statesman even when the meaning of their statements themselves is vile

By being "politically incorrect", Trump distances himself from everyone else. He's willing to do things that the other candidates won't, and once you vote him into the Presidency, he's going to follow-through on that un-PC-ness into results.

You know how it goes: Tea Party darlings get voted into Congress ... but the Democrats keep winning on their agenda anyway! When will this slow string of defeats be stopped?! Trump will stop it, because he can do an end-run around those darned Democrats and RINOs the same way he's doing an end-run around the basic rules of public discourse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I think Harry Turtledove has a series of books that start with the South winning the war and then following that history all the way through like WW2. I only really remember that they called tanks barrels for some reason.

Yes. It's really not as interesting as you might think by dint of Turtledove basically find-and-replace-ing his way through WWI and WWII, except with American locales.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Is there any truth to the Lost Causer/States' Rights claims that the South was on the verge of abolishing slavery themselves? Seems to me like you wouldn't go to war over a thing you're about to get rid of anyway.

The idea behind this is based on historical hindsight: the industrial revolution would have changed up economics and manufacturing so much that slavery would no longer have been a feasible backbone for the Southern economy and they would have had to either adapt or collapse.

It's also largely BS, as the Southeners only ever had plans to expand slavery at the time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

Didn't the CSA have aspirations of conquering Mexico/South America and establishing a White Supremacist Empire?

There was a group of Southern white supremacists called the Knights of the Golden Circle that wanted to expand the CSA and slavery into Mexico, Central America, South America, Cuba and the whole Caribbean, although I don't think they had any real political influence on the CSA as a whole and their wishful thinking was mostly just that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

What if Ahmed Lanza had done Sandy Hook, and not Adam?

Still wouldn't have had an impact on gun control in America.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sparatuvs posted:

Not the last time trump will mark citizens with ink.

:vince:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

How do these motherfuckers keep getting radicalized? You were born in the USA and had a cushy loving govt job. What the gently caress is your problem! You have a wife and kids and live in a god drat gentrified area and get to do whatever the gently caress you want!

How the gently caress do you fall for some imam from good knows where taking you hey how bout killing some folks?

It's not exactly out of place for people working in government to also not like the government.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

Some dude here on Long Island got arrested with a ridiculous amount of weaponry, including seven guns, 8300 rounds of ammo, a fake Federal Air Marshal's ID, and a fake DHS parking placard..

But he's white, so guess how worried people are about what he was up to?

Maybe he was a Delta Green agent whose cover got blown?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm really, really, really happy I discovered predictit after Trump hopped in and destroyed Jeb.

In the increasingly unlikely event that Jeb manages to become the nominee after all, how much would someone stand to make off of that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Mr. Falwell urged the students to apply for concealed-carry permits and criticized President Obama, saying it “blows my mind” that the president has argued for tighter gun-control laws in response to mass shootings.

“I’ve always thought if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walked in and killed us,” he said, to more applause. “Let’s teach them a lesson if they ever show up here.”

On Saturday, Mr. Falwell tweeted that he had been referring only to “those Muslims” who commit acts of terrorism. In an interview with The News & Advance, a newspaper in Lynchburg, Va., he said, “There are many good Muslims, many good moderate Muslims,” who would be welcome on the campus of Liberty University.

Nevertheless, he said he would not back down from the remarks he made Friday.

“If I had to say it again,” he said, “ I would say it louder because it was hard to hear with the students talking.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/us/president-of-liberty-university-urges-students-to-get-gun-permits.html?_r=0

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't there "due process" in the sense that what it takes for you to get placed on a "no fly list" in the first place?

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

How exactly would you enforce that? Have a dedicated crew of people at Facebook monitoring posts? Flag posts by keywords?
Seems like it would just make these groups congregate to more secretive, harder-to-track services.

Facebook already has humans going through flagged posts. I once worked at a company where that work was outsourced to. It paid better than any other BPO assignment but the turnover and attrition rates were still super high.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the "Dean scream" for the first time today.

It didn't really seem all that bad. That sunk a campaign?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aren't most modern convention fights settled via the pre-balloting rules votes anyway?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fknlo posted:

Seattle will allow Uber and Lyft drivers to unionize

Hot takes: :qq: BUT MY PRICES WILL GO UP :qq: , they can just get another job if they don't like it :qq: , it's not supposed to be a full time job anyway :qq: , :qq: I MIGHT HAVE TO PAY MORE :qq:

How wrong would I be if I said that the reason "disruptive" services like Uber and Lyft are more economical for the end-user is because they deliberately skirt if not outright avoid existing government regulations for the industry they're trying to break into?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I know that ron_paul_sitting_in_a_room_alone.jpg was a photoshop, so this hits much as (I assume) it's 100% real.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who has used Uber, I agree with the statement that it affords the consumer some advantages, but I also agree that there's nothing that prevents taxis from adopting those advantages, whether via government regulation or by their own attempt to stay relevant in the market.

I don't think those advantages are worth the unscrupulous practices that Uber imposes on its drivers.

I've used the service when I absolutely need to get a taxi quickly and directly such as during bad weather, and even then it costs me thrice as much as a regular taxi fare, if not more.

Finally, I feel strongly against the idea of Uber in places like Singapore and Japan, where the public transportation system is very well developed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If the commuter system is good enough that you wouldn't need to use a taxi in the first place, I don't see the need to have Uber as a taxi alternative, either.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Where do you even learn about all the financial poo poo Shkreli was doing?

This isn't an "asking for a friend" kind of question, but more like what's Shkreli's background?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Logikv9 posted:

Also just repeating, Bernie has awful taste in campaign staff. It's almost so bad you could use it as a con against a Bernie Presidency.

Are we talking Mark Penn levels of bad here?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

Other dominoes fall today? This week?

Jeb is just blowing through millions with no ROI.

On the contrary, isn't this how Jeb will win the nomination? He just stays in longer than anyone else, and his numbers will go up as picks up supporters from everyone that drops out ahead of him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Well a new Iowa poll came out yesterday with Jeb at 2% so his numbers only have one way to go!

Shouldn't his numbers go up as Graham drops out and his supporters go to Jeb?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eschers Basement posted:

So, serious question - what is the path to pre-convention victory for any of these guys?

I know Joementum or Fried Chicken or someone usually comes in and rolls their eyes at the idea that the convention will mean anything, but guys, I think this year is different. :tinfoil:

I could be completely wrong on this, but I think that when people say a brokered convention is impossible given contemporary primary rules, it remains unsaid that any close dispute between two candidates is settled over the rules votes. The nomination process itself doesn't go past the first ballot because any "test of strength" is going to happen in the voting process that happens before the nominations, when all the delegates are still unpledged.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doc Hawkins posted:

I used to be into the idea of a flat tax. I would explain it was consistent with the rest of my pinko ideals by saying any "serious" flat tax proposal was composed of a rate, and an amount which isn't taxed, so by raising both of those numbers, you could be as progressive as you liked!

One day a friend told me, "That's just called 'having two tax brackets'. Once you have two, what's the disadvantage of having more?"

Is that easy enough to understand? It was for me. :v:

Yeah, that's right. The conservative proponents for a Flat Tax always deflect criticisms of the scheme by promising a certain level of income that won't be taxes in consideration for cost-of-living expenses. Nobody ever calls them out on how that's already a thing that the current system of taxation does, given enough tinkering.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

So wait has SA now turned into chicago-style austerians in favor of hard money and balanced budgets, just to spite Bernie? what?

What I got from the previous page or so was that Bernie is on record for wanting to audit the Fed. People are puzzled to say the least as to why, while others are going straight to calling it a dumb idea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

sooner or later, congress is gonna pass the skill check to repeal obamacare and then who will be laughing

There's a 95.39% chance that Congress would have rolled at least one nat 20 by now over the course of 60 Obamacare repeal attempts. It's therefore a good thing that auto-success on a 20 is an optional rule.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DrProsek posted:

It's almost like a building needs something more to collapse.... something like, oh I don't know, a plane crashing into it at high speed. Something like THAT would probably gently caress up a building pretty good.

Do the Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams crowd just think that 9/11 was terrorists breaking into the WTC to strap barrels of jet fuel to the beams and igniting them or something? The giant plane crashing into the building seems like it would kinda affect things.

The planes were holographic, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBlazer posted:

I eagerly await post presidency Obama, I believe there is alot of stuff he can't/won't say and do as president.

President / Chairman of BLM

• Locked thread