Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Logikv9 posted:

I can't wait for a Muslim president :unsmith: they will be more awesome than the JESUS TOLD ME TO gently caress REFUGEES shills and it will kill off the remaining freeper population from suicide/rage-induced strokes.

Too bad it won't happen for a long time. :smith:

I don't quite understand why the solution to a Jesus Krispie is a religious Muslim.

Ring me up when we get an agnostic president who openly tells the public "I ain't got time for this nonsense."

Amergin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is he... Implying a Jewish Zionist conspiracy? :psyduck:

He's speaking more truth about I/P than any other candidate (including the liberals) dares to speak.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

fade5 posted:

Ah yes, Obama and the Republicans famously agree on how to handle ISIL, and there haven't been any disputes at all.

And Bernie says legalize weed, Fiorina told a lie/bullshit horror story about how marijuana killed her daughter.

Did you miss the fact that the referenced period of time was the 90s through 2008?

You know, the times when the Democrats were pretty well in support of bombing whatever country in the middle east, were pretty well against marijuana legalization and were pretty well against gay marriage?

EDIT: The self-righteousness of liberals and how correct they and their politicians are on current topics is a pretty recent phenomenon, going hand-in-hand with the widening of the political schism and the hardening of political opinions in this country. On the one hand, your politicians are probably using rhetoric on topics the go in line with how non-moderate you are (and Goons oh so love bashing moderates).

On the other hand, as shown in the responses on this very page to Carville's marriage, we're now to the point where politics is "such serious business" that the lot of you couldn't imagine being with a person with different viewpoints.

You could, I don't know... not talk about politics with them? Maybe spend your time doing other, more immediately important things?

Amergin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 12, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

It most definitely does, though the employees generally eat the damage first. I've already lost one job because they were yanking funds from IT to give to sales... after two months of complaining about how bad offshore's code is. Upper management will happily mortgage their future for sweet sweet dollars.

My personal experience has been pretty similar. Terrible decision-making in management, rushed implementation of software that nobody consulted with the users on so it never gets configured properly for business in the first place, then constant complaints from users which to go management and then go to IT on "why can't you voodoo our pile of poo poo to work perfectly?!" which results in IT working weekends and/or 60-80 hour weeks with little payoff because gently caress increasing head count in IT.

Then you get a new acquisition, do another rushed implementation for that new system because nobody loving learns from past mistakes, rinse and repeat.

If your IT group is more of a support role than making your actual product, people see you as a money sink and nothing more. But if your poo poo ever breaks, that's when they decide to pay attention (but still not spend any money to fix the cause rather than cracking the whip at you to fix the symptoms).

EDIT:

Radbot posted:

Just FYI if tech workers ever unionize, they will be painted as racists and xenophobes trying to deprive hardworking foreigners from coming to America and enriching the fabric of our country.

That's why things won't ever get better in that regard, anyone looking to strengthen worker protections will be attacked from the left as well as the right, good faith or not.

They won't be painted as racists because of depriving foreigners of job opportunities, they'll be painted as racists because 95% of IT workers are loving coddled white men who are constantly angry because of their job situation and terrible loving management.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, they could avoid that by not making their union racist as gently caress but yea I guess if it's all middle class white dudes from the valley and google and poo poo yea they'd probably put a lot of hosed up 'no outsiders' poo poo in it like what happens when other industries become represented by their most privileged members.

I bet you new startups and Bay area tech giants have great representation (at least racial representation) compared to the vast majority of larger/older businesses across the country with their respective IT groups.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Radbot posted:

What IT departments are you familiar with? I'm the primary department interface to our IT team in a Fortune 500 company, and the majority of the folks I work with are not white. The vast majority are Indian, some are Southeast Asian. Most of them are citizens who, I'm guessing, would not like more H1-Bs to come in and gently caress up their sweet cushy job.

Health insurance and oil & gas.

Health insurance had one black guy for a team of 25 for infrastructure maintenance (all others were WASPy guys). The team I'm in now has three women, two of whom are Asian, out of 15 (the rest of whom are WASPy guys).

I mean sure it's not 100% white but I give my team lead poo poo all the time when a spot opens up and the only folks in interviews are white dudes who look like Michelin man cosplayers. I told him one time to at least give a token interview to a Jamaal and he laughed and fidgeted nervously.

EDIT: And this doesn't get into poo poo I get from coworkers because I dare to split duties with my wife like cooking and cleaning. "What, your wife doesn't cook for you?" is a weekly question I get from some random dudebro.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 14, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Not sure if people who think horses are also people is far too many or far too few.

It was only a matter of time once gay marriage was legalized...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Student athletes are employees of the university, and therefore do not have the right to speak out on policy issues as you or I would.

But they don't get paid...?

• Locked thread