Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw, I wanted to hear the logic of why only a godly person can defeat radical Muslims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

these people make me sad. they are just sadbrain fundies who are scared shitless because they bought in to some angry fuckfaces tirade on the radio. I feel bad for them.
I'd feel worse for them if they weren't so influential in politics.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

As usual, my first thought is "is he really that ignorant or is he just pandering to people who are?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

The police officer's defense in the Oscar Grant shooting was that he thought his gun was a taser.
Even after everything that has happened since then, I can't believe that worked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't watch this right now, but what is CAIR?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes, welcome to the US of A. :patriot: :911: :patriot:
I wonder, if someone goes into a gun shop and says give me three rifles, four shotguns and two handguns, are they any more likely to be looked at by the FBI or whoever than if they go to nine different gun shops and buy one each?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

So is it actually controversial to say that people who go on mass shooting sprees are mentally ill? I mean its not an excuse for someone's action but it can be an explanation for why they did it somewhat. I just struggle to see another reason someone would think that killing a bunch of civilians is okay.
If that word is thrown around haphazardly for whenever someone does a bad thing, it increases the stigma for mentally ill people and makes them less likely to seek treatment.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, at some point you're going to run into the problem of where religious fervor ends and mental illness starts, and no one really wants to talk about that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Some may posit that it begins the moment you believe a bearded sky man created an entire universe in 7 days...but that's an uphill battle in this puritanical shithole country.
Yes...this is the conversation that no one wants to have, in America anyway. My Facebook friends are like 95% liberal and non-religious but there is no way I could express this idea that would not resort in the biggest online shitstorm I would have ever been a party to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't even watch American media anymore because of this poo poo but pictures from inside the apartment appeared in a BBC article and I was like argh.

I mean, the BBC is also a big powerful media thing with a lot of the same problems but I guess somewhere inside I thought they wouldn't go there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It seems to me that this is a pretty different thing that defies historical comparison but will be kept on hand to compare future mass shootings to. Like the three or so that will happen next week at the current rate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Every time I hear the word "homeland" I am like gently caress, we lost 9/11.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Niton posted:

Some dude here on Long Island got arrested with a ridiculous amount of weaponry, including seven guns, 8300 rounds of ammo, a fake Federal Air Marshal's ID, and a fake DHS parking placard..

But he's white, so guess how worried people are about what he was up to?
The fake Air Marshal ID is pretty chilling to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Meg From Family Guy posted:

“Muslims must confront this hateful ideology”

Is it me, or does this phrase sound like a trigger phrase meant to activate someone listening?
My alternate world Muslim self is yelling "what the gently caress do you want ME to do about it?"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That part of Obama's speech confused me. If someone is on the no fly list, does that not currently show up on a background check to get a gun?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Artificer posted:

Iirc someone mentioned earlier that apparently that no, that does not factor into the background check when it comes to getting a gun.
Weird. Is this because they actually care about due process and don't consider the no fly list to be valid, or does the gun lobby want literally as many people as possible to pass the background check no matter what?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do white people (or black people for that matter) ever get on the no fly list?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

This needs to happen. Also, :wow: at Trump's statement. It's deeply unnerving to me that this man is the frontrunner of one of the two major political parties, and that if he gets the nomination he is just one scandal / disaster / recession away from taking the presidency.
Seriously though, how far can he go and still be the front runner? Can he denounce women's suffrage or reveal a new logo of a red octopus on a black background or something and still be on top of the GOP?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assume he isn't literally on ISIL's payroll, so does he know he's working for them for free?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't understand where you're getting lost here.
Yeah. What even IS conservatism in the US other than those things?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did Trump say how we should identify Muslims to keep them out, or is that just left to the imagination of his supporters (skin color, devil horns hidden under turbans, etc)?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It gets pretty surreal towards the middle.

Darth Trump: Trump steaks blah blah blah
Lando: that was never a condition of our deal nor was giving Han to that bounty hunter!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's a South Carolina poll, overlapping the time of Trump calling for banning muslims from entering the country

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2015/12/09/fox-news-poll-south-carolina-primary-races/

He jumped 8 points
Didn't the governor of South Carolina have some particularly sharp words for Trump?

Edit: I can't find it now, maybe I imagined it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

CBS News poll has Trump at 35% nationally his highest yet. :peanut:
My boss laughed at me today when I said I wasn't going to totally discount the possibility of a Trump win, or even a GOP nomination. I guess what I should have said is that it is not so much about Trump himself, he is just the current symbol for a modern nativist streak that is very real, very dangerous, and has been building strength for a long time.

Edit: even if the GOP knows that choosing him would be a possibly party-ending disaster for them, they may do it anyway because they are rudderless and willing to grab onto even the shortest term possibility of success.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 10, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember the story of the woman in Detroit who whipped out her pistol and shot at a shoplifter's car in the parking lot as it drove away? She just got sentenced to 18 months probation. The lesson she took away from this was "never help anybody." She will not be able to concealed carry until 2023.
Who does she think killing a shoplifter helps anyway?

Edit: or even just stopping a shoplifter? It really doesn't help anybody.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 14, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The last article I read about them used the term "self-radicalized". I dunno why but that gives me a funny mental picture, of them looking at themselves in the mirror going "I am radical! I am so radical!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, are they saying the Nazi guy was SUPPORTING Trump?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had no idea data like that was kept from people inside the same party.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Well, when they're competing against each other.
I still thought they would both be operating off of the same data as each other until the primaries, and secrecy was just for the actual election against the other party.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I should be happy that a majority were confused about being asked about a fictional place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RuanGacho posted:

Controlling machines to deliver objects at high speed where the average judgement of the general populace is what we're counting on for people to not die is unnatural and the result of technology availability out pacing societal development and common sense.

Yes I'm deliberately referring to more than one thing here.
I was basically going to post this. If privately owned cars didn't exist and I proposed them in 2015, I'd get laughed at. That stupid idea was grandfathered in in the first place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know in retrospect that MADD's work was mostly just on an emotional level and not particularly fact based but it sure did its work on me as a kid and now deep inside I think of drunk drivers as ridiculous ultra-scum regardless of their situation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So the argument is that running a country shouldn't require much more money than making a movie?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Forcing women to look at ultrasounds, making them decide how they want the fetuses disposed of - All of this stuff would be so traumatizing for a scared woman seeking an abortion. Do these politicians not realize it would just lead to a bunch of self-induced miscarriages or neglected/abandoned babies? What about rape victims, or women who would want to keep their babies but they're not viable? It's just so heartless and cruel, and it's just pandering for votes.
I think the real goal is to make the women feel very bad about what they have done, so all of those situations are mission accomplished.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't think many people who want to restrict access to abortion or any of that really believe it. They know a shitload of yokels out there do though, and that's who they're pandering to. There are tens of millions of people in this country that think that way, and they vote. That somehow makes it worse in my mind.
I used to often ask whether a politician really believed in their positions or was just pandering to people who do, but recently I'm thinking that that is an unproductive question. The result is the same either way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So I just visited Wall Street for the first time and saw people literally lined up to rub the bull's balls for good luck in business. Is there any more blatant pagan idol worship than that that happens in America these days? Where the hell are all the Christian protesters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

richardfun posted:

We (the Dutch) have William of Orange, but I've never come across anyone who venerates him the way Americans do the founding fathers. It's more a mix of respect and historical curiosity.

But that could just be my limited perspective.
The idea I was given about them growing up is is that as a single unit, they literally invented the idea of personal freedom in order to save the whole goddamn world from itself. Later on I got more nuanced views of what they did but clearly lots of people didn't.

• Locked thread