Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Well there's some good news, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

There's no way the way they've been loving with DMV/ID locations will stand up to the smallest amount of scrutiny in a federal court. They didn't even try to be subtle about it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Luigi Thirty posted:

Aha, it's considered a binary options prediction market. The DoD tried to make one to predict terrorism once. They have an official "we cool" letter from the CFTC.

We have a thread in RSF discussing it if you'd like to know more. I probably should have opened it in D&D but oh well.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Someone help me I'm agreeing with Cruz

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3014365/it-careers/sen-ted-cruz-wants-minimum-h-1b-wage-of-110-000.html?google_editors_picks=true

quote:

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, has morphed from a vocal supporter of the H-1B program to a leading critic of it. He has done so in a new H-1B reform bill designed to raise the cost of hiring temporary visa workers.

This bill, released late Thursday, sets a minimum wage of $110,000 for H-1B workers, who currently can be paid well less than half that amount in some U.S. regions under prevailing wage rules. This base salary will adjust annually for inflation.

The legislative intent is to do more "to prevent employers from using the program to replace hard-working American men and woman with cheaper foreign labor," said Cruz, in a statement. The bill is co-sponsored by U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), the chair of the Senate immigration subcommittee.

The bill also eliminates the Optional Practical Training Program (OPT), which provides a means to work via a student visa in the U.S. for at least 12 months. It prohibits employment authorization to anyone on student visa or F-1 status (who is no longer engaged in full time study) under the OPT program or a successor program, "without an express Act of Congress authorizing such a program."

Session called the OPT program "a backdoor method for replacing American workers," in a statement.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shakugan posted:

Getting rid of OPT would be disastrous. OPT is the program that American educated international students use to work in the US after graduation. Sponsoring people for H1-B's is already a huge hassle for companies when they aren't able to pay them pennies (e.g. hiring foreigners graduating from US colleges) to make up for it, and so there's a simple reason that they bother. They NEED the talent. A number of industries would tank in the US without the ability to hire these people.

Yeah the OPT part is obviously garbage. As for the H1-B any time a job-creator bemoans how it's impossible to find the talent they need in the US marketplace your brain should automatically add 'for the price I want' to the end. I'm fine with companies using H1-B as long as they sincerely can't find the people they need. Unfortunately that's usually not the case. The problem is it takes a lot of work to analyze any given job market for talent availability and establishing a minimum wage is actually a fairly elegant solution to the problem.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ashcans posted:

Attacking OPT is dumb, it's one of the few ways that foreign workers actually compete equally in the job market (because if you underpay or abuse them they can walk freely to another employer) and everyone on it is a US grad so you would just be shipping away your graduates that much sooner than we already do.

Fixing H-1Bs is something that needs to happen, but that isn't a good approach, because it doesn't actually target the primary sources of abuse in the program (worker mills, contracting, and exploiting workers). Setting a minimum wage at $110,000 would kill the H-1B for a lot of legitimate employers (like universities, where pay scales are determined by CBAs and unions) while worker mills would just continue to throw in paperwork and cheat the end employee. If you are not going to engage in comprehensive reform (which is what really needs to happen but never will) you should focus on performing timely audits/inspections of H-1B employers and put worker classification with the DOL instead of letting it be employer-generated.

The broad minimum wage is too crude agreed but they could probably set it on a per-job title basis using DoL wage statistics for each metropolitan area. Basically find the median wage for a given job category in a certain area and that's your minimum wage for an H1-B

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Does anyone know more about this? Given how nasty and complex state budgets can get this feels like it could have been taken way out of context and he doesn't really attribute any evidence to it. Which Republican legislator was this? Which hospital? I mean don't get me wrong this is the mother fucker responsible for the Terri Schiavo shitcircus so I'm not putting it past him but i'd like some ammo on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Their web-player is hot garbage so here's a more stable source: http://www.crackle.com/watch/video/2497717/

• Locked thread