Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Remember that the three forms of Satanism are Satanists, Atheists, and Islam.

You joke but evangelicals believe that if something doesn't come from God then it comes from Satan. All the other religions are deceptions created by the father of lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What I want to know if Shkreli is able to manipulate the market by dint of the amount of money he's throwing around or if he's leveraging his media-built persona as a ruthless shark to make more money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

As if that wasn't enough, he's basically saying "No, I won't drop the price on the drugs that are exclusive to us, but we will setup a patient assistance program (loan program) to purchase said drugs.

I really REALLY hope the FDA revokes his patent.

You think that he's the only one falsely inflating the price of a drug or procedure, or do you think that's literally every pharma and medical company in America?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, looks like Trump was right about the 9/11 videos and we were all fools.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if instead of showing people saying they remember the videos, what if they just showed the video for proof? Why aren't they showing the video itself????

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How are GOP leaders getting away with saying refugees aren't being vetted and that we need to enact stronger measures to keep out terrorists? Are they betting on people literally not knowing anything about the refugee resettlement process (ie that it is already the most stringently vetted migration process we have) and will not even do the most basic of fact-checking? :psyduck:

It's because the media are cowards and are afraid to say the l-word because that would be taking sides :ohdear:

e: Rahm asking the Police Chief to step down right now.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 1, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about hover boots guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think all our previous military interventions in the region have gone so well, why not try another!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

No he's just lying.

Excuse me, your bias is showing. He's making claims. Critics say, his claims are wrong. You decide.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Man, don't want refugees fleeing to the EU/US, but don't want to actually solve the issue of a genocidal terrorist group.

What's a man to do.

It's actually a pretty sticky issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

, the isolationists rarely have led this country is good directions.

Yeah the imperialists did much better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

Reddit has been bad for much longer than that.

It's actually people, I'm afraid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

This is what worries me. When so much of the American public straight up hates muslims and "muslim sympathizers" (Thanks heavily armed Texas lunatic militia!), what are the rest of us supposed to do to stop it? Can it be stopped?

Whatever you do don't read about European history from the period of 1933-1945.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, seriously. Something fundamentally changed around the firing of Ellen Pao and the whole rhetoric around that. I think a lot of the more moderate users just got fed up with all the poo poo being pushed to the front page around that time, all the people who flooded the entire site with posts about Ellen Pao, FatPeopleHate and all the "Chimpire" stuff being banned. Those users left and never came back. Also since Pao got canned, a lot of the more vocal shitheads on Reddit felt vindicated because they got what they want and now they feel like they can just run the place and put up any garbage they want.

What I'm saying is that Reddit has always been a garbage fire but ever since the shitstorm earlier this year things have gotten much, much worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys acting like we don't have forums for anime, insane racist soldiers and gun nuts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

You're kind of kidding yourself if you think ADTRW and GIP are that level of bad. Yeah, you have idiots permeating them, but you generally don't get Reddit level poo poo without it being stamped out.

I guess they are required to cloak their racism with dog whistle terms, irony and the posting equivalents of knowing looks, but I dunno if that's a huge improvement. Reddit has funny pictures and memes though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who wants to read a fun article about how the GOP establishment is simultaneously tearing their hair out yet quivering in fear pissing themselves over Trump.

Won't someone rid me of this troublesome Trump? Not me tho, I don't want him to call me a bozo on twitter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

And the poison pill is...

It's a literal one, and the bill requires Obama to take it.

"Vetoing our nations infrastructure over SPECIAL INTERESTS again Obummer"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah why did I read that one :smithicide:

There are really only two things that I get despondent about : the acceptance of Islamophobia in American discourse and policy, and million dollar kickstarters for cops that kill unarmed black kids.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

Seriously. Like lovely people existing with in the US has been true all my life. But there's seriously a level of vindication going on now that is incredibly frightening.

Trump was funny because he was coming out saying all this terrible bullshit that Republicans truly believed, and we all assumed he would be kicked to the curb like he was for pushing the birther stuff. Instead, unless the actual voting goes incredibly differently, he's going to be accepted and embraced, and we're going to literally have a fascist candidate for President. And I'm not so certain he will lose any more.

The difference, for me, between it and the other kinds of bigotry we see in America is that with things like homophobia, racism, misogyny, etc, there's usually a sense that the person knows that what they are saying isn't acceptable. Like they get that people think it's wrong to be racist or whatever, and they have to dissimulate and qualify and explain things. But with Islamophobic rhetoric you can say the most hateful, ignorant things and they just don't think they are doing anything wrong at all. They don't see it as bigotry. It's just normal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet it's Cruz leading in Iowa.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

foobardog posted:

I guess another problem is that this poo poo has been widely criticized, but unlike in Reagan's claim, you can choose your facts, and many people have completely chosen complete and utter misinformation, and the media is at best a selfish profiteer on that universe, at worst a willing participant in maintaining it.

There's just too much information available and unless you have a lot of practice or specific training, it's very hard to distinguish between good and bad sources, and that's only if you are interested in facts and not belief-reinforcement. Too many people give the same weight to 24-point blue font emails from grandma as an exhaustively researched, edited and proofed article.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

what's politico's political leaning?

Pageviews.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 1, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theshim posted:

So what would you guys qualify as being passable, out of curiosity? Not good, because I know we can find ways to rail against literally every single reporter in the world, but what provides a reasonable amount of substance these days?

Individual twitter accounts of reporters I know to be good.

But basically there is no one unequivocally "good" news source. You just have to be able to discriminate between good and bad reporting, data and presentation. A good rule of thumb is that if what you are reading confirms everything you believe about yourself and everything you believe about the other side, find another source to corroborate it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frabba posted:

Apropos of nothing, I was very surprised to see advertisements for this network during the WWE Monday broadcast. Seems like a very interesting demo for them to go after, to say the least.

Hulkamaniacs are crazy about political news outside the mainstream with a strong emphasis on foreign policy, brother.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

Sure is weird that every good person in American history was a good person that stood up to unjust authority and the current ones are such poo poo fuckers that force everyone else to do what they want.

Conservatives can't be on the right side of history by definition. They always lose in the long run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump's shaking CNN down for $5 mil

quote:

"How about I tell CNN, who doesn't treat me properly ... I'm not gonna do the next debate, okay?" The demand garnered tepid applause from the crowd.

Trump zeroed in more on his idea: "I won't do the debate unless they pay me $5 million, all of which goes to Wounded Warriors or goes to vets."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Was there an actual point to this or is it just random rabble?

You responding was the point.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah sure it will go to wounded warriors. i loving doubt it.

I'm sure it is, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

Whoops
Hope CNN takes one for the team and just doesn't host him.

Oh yeah, CNN is super brave about journalism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wookums posted:

No, but they may be about an extorted 5m.

Which is less than they would lose in ad buys for not paying him $5 mil and having him out.

I sincerely hope they won't do it because of the insane precedent it would set but if anyone would, it'd be CNN.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well if they were clever, they'd realize Trump lives or dies by the amount of media frenzy he can generate since he's even more lacking in substance than many other GOP hopefuls and, if they call his bluff, hopefully other media organizations realize that he needs them a hell of a lot more than the reverse.

They're not clever, though, so it's a moot point.

He'd just buy time (or have it given to him) by another network and have his own counterprogramming and everyone would tune into that.

Unless there are specific FEC rules to prevent that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Odd that Santorum and Cruz have never met.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jeb's gonna put out an ad that's just "Rosa Parks!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's still not good, if it's true. But that guy has been a "long time critic of Obama and GWB's mideast policy" so he could just have an axe to grind. We'll have to see if the story has legs.

I guess this is the thing that will have everyone talking. Latest national poll: Trump 27%, Rubio 17%, Cruz 16%, Carson 16%

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 2, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Interesting poll on motherjones,

Something like 42% of Democrats would be less likely to vote democratic and 16% more likely to vote with Hillary Clinton as the nominee, 41% no difference.

For Bernie Sanders, it's 32% less likely, %27 more likely, 41% no difference.

So is this poll claiming that registered Democrats would be more likely to vote for the Republican candidate if Hillary wins the nomination?

This GOP Congressional candidate and Iowa state senator thinks that we should use capital punishment to curb immigration

quote:

Reached by phone, Chelgren told The Associated Press that his comments came during a broader conversation about terrorism and border control. Chelgren stressed he was talking specifically about immigrants with felony convictions trying to re-enter the U.S. illegally with further criminal intent.

"I think capital punishment should be considered for people who are felons and re-enter this country illegally, yes," Chelgren said. "We have to make sure we are not incentivizing people whose only intent is to victimize."

I'm from Des Moines and I say kill em all.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 2, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think schools are making kids fat. They certainly weren't teaching good health or nutritional science back before the juvenile obesity epidemic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Harry Turtledove has a series of books that start with the South winning the war and then following that history all the way through like WW2. I only really remember that they called tanks barrels for some reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Killer robot posted:

I haven't read those, but in the real world "tank" was because when the first tanks were still classified wartime projects the cover story was that they were being developed as mobile water tanks for the front. So probably just an "exact terminology differed" sort of AU thing there.

Oh, well there you go, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

• Locked thread