Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So when is mwo going to have their own incarna-like expansion? I want to make an 80's mech pilot and walk around the hangar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

32mb of ram! :pcgaming:

I used to play battletech pods ~15 years ago at the wizards of the coast gaming center. They were awesome. I still have one of my match results somewhere.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mmm, that's some nice mad.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kingcom posted:

Why would you design a map without any kind of useful cover.

Because LRMs deserve to be just as viable a weapon as anything else.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Basically, anything that lets us earn mc that isn't literally handing over cash and isn't limited to events.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Iron Tusk posted:

Some sort of energy drain system.

It's the 31st century, a time of endless wars in which star empires won't stop kissing that strangely vulnerable and attractive woman in every dungeon they find.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The nasty part about trying to get back in is the gamble on weather the mechs you left behind are any good today.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

It's been a year since her banning and it still makes me smile.

FatCow posted:

Every few months I read this terrible thread about this terrible game and laugh. Who was the tryhard cheater?

Quote from sebmojo in the previous thread:

quote:

modpud was a constantly and deliberately abrasive dick who always implicitly balanced that out by being searingly good at robots. So now she's, hmm

The thread isn't archived yet, you can read all about it starting here.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

vorebane posted:

Reading that was pretty funny, but it links to when modpud was banned for apparently a chargeback against pgi. I totally want to read goons' reactions to finding out modpud was a cheater.

a mere 4 pages in, friend.

and yeah the chargeback was an excuse.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Still waiting for El Jarabe Tapatio, La Cucaracha, and Cielito Lindo as car mech horns.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
what are these buckets they speak of?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like group tactics when it's just stay in the murder ball and target what the yell boss says.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I like the square buttons outlining a rectangular screen in the cockpit, reminds me of battletech pods.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

News on the future of "Faction Play":
  • Long Tom will be replaced by a new effect - Sensor Sweep will be accompanied by a global ECM field - Duration TBD - couple of seconds
  • Faction Warfare will start with Skirmish with DropDecks (4 Mechs per Player), then move to Domination, Conquest, Assault and finally to Invasion. But all modes will be impacted by what is done in Scouting mode.
  • IS vs Clan buckets only
  • Special Events for house vs house, clan vs clan or specific house vs specific clan fights
  • Rewards will be changed after the new faction system is in place
  • Timeline: Might be december for the new system (or later, Russ was very careful to state that it was a really rough guess). New rewards will come 2-4 months later
  • FP Event will be this weekend.
Scouting will not change.

Let me know when they reach the next stage of panicking: opening the periphery to real merc ownership, not just kudos on a button flip for Team *insert color*.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Needs this for a cockpit item:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Keep in mind that MWLL is made mostly of long time players who don't know how to hold back. The last time we played MWLL, they ruined our happy newbie fun time.

I highly advise someone put up a private game server for us to gently caress around in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I mostly like what I see. I'm mad they didn't have a player model ready to grab the hatch, open, walk inside, sit and close the hatch. The actual fight with the raven I can forgive because they're trying to show off them effects. I'll give them another chance, seeing as I spent 0 dollars on MWO and got a few months worth of fun with goons out of it.

CaptCommy posted:

So if all the IS quirks are gone, doesn't that make Clan everything unequivocally better?

Definitely going to need more info on this. Dropping bonuses was something they should've done day one, it's a boring grind. However, doing that now after quirks basically just tipped the scales in IS mech's favor, it's really fishy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Number19 posted:

I don't know all the specifics. I've been pretty disconnected from the dev side of the house in the lead up to Mech_Con.

The thing is, if all mechs have uneven max values, then the new system is no different than the current. For example, if a grf-1s can have 30% max laser bonuses but a hbk-4j only get 10% max laser bonuses, you pretty much made the choice for them. That's really no different than what we have now, we're just putting our grind in the quirks instead of standard bonuses.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

veedubfreak posted:

Something occurred to me last night. IF they are making it so that you only need 1 mech to fully skill up, how is this going to affect the pricing of omnimechs, since now there is literally no reason to buy 3 mechs every time they release a new variant. Or am I thinking farther along than this game is still going to be around?

I don't think we can rely on pgi to implement what they think they want.

Still, it would be nice to just buy one mech instead of three to master it, even if it meant dumping the exact amount of grind time onto one mech instead of spreading it over three. I don't even give a gently caress about clan mechs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When will the skill changes come in? Thinking about robutting again, long enough to mess around with the new system and sort out my old mechs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I'm not sure guys but I might be abandoning this for the recently-revived MWLL. I like tanks and battle armor too much.

What's the population like now? Any 20+ servers that aren't all regulars?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am devastated and I spent exactly 0 dollars on this game. 14 mechs, 3 modules, maybe 15m cbills laying around. I can't commit to grinding cbills again just for the mechs I have.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just logged in after about 3 years and the game still thinks I'm tier 4 material :shrug:

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'll give you an account

Thanks, but I'll pass. Save it for a more needy goon.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

TjyvTompa posted:

For Energy Draw there was people that actually liked it but the backlash was so severe that they completely dropped the idea. I can't find anyone that likes this new skill system, not even people like me that like it just because it fucks over most other people. I wonder how this fucks over their new idea with mech packs, I also wonder how they will re-make the skill system once the new weapon systems get added when the technology advances, doubt they thought about that at all. Interesting times.

It's not like the skill tree can't be fixed into something good, either. I want the skill tree to be good, but pgi being :pgi:, they had to gently caress it up royally with nonsense bullshit.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Stalkers were my first mastered mechs and they instantly turned me from a scrub nobody into a top tier legend.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Oh Snapple! posted:

And has been previously discussed, a lot of us aren't going to be getting large windfalls from module refunds and will have to shoulder the cost of remastering each mech with little more than our available funds.

The reductions and poo poo are good and this is a more positive direction than the last PTS session offered but it's still going to hit folks pretty hard, especially if they're people with an established array of viable mechs who nope'd at the annoyance of dealing with modules.

Exactly. I don't see why they can't offer full free unlocks for mastered mechs. I have a few not mastered, but it wouldn't bother me because half of them are kinda poo poo these days.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PathAsc posted:

I may have missed it, but have they poo poo a timeline for when they are planning on ramrodding this into our collective asses whether it's hot garbage or not?

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/245172-upcoming-update-to-the-skill-tree-pts-build/

quote:

We'd also like to inform everyone that while the Skill Tree was initially slated for a release in our upcoming patch on February 21st, we are now targeting a release for the March 21st patch to ensure sufficient time for iteration and improvement on the PTS client.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looking forward to patton's exhaustive breakdown of every mech post-skill tree.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

new thread title

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Russ needs to leave. Now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How hard must it be to identify mastered mechs across all accounts and automatically unlock their skill trees? Do they really need to postpone the whole deal just for that? Or are they looking for an alternative where we still need to sink some token amount of cbills?

Oh well, disaster averted I guess.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
2SSRM6 HBK-4SP :smugwizard:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How often do colors go on sale?

It's amazing to me that in the 4+ years this game has been alive, with over 200 colors to choose from, Russ couldn't relax his sphincter just enough to add like 7 more colors to the c-bill list.

I could understand patterns being money only back then, but there are so many patterns now, they could easily free up half a dozen for c-bill purchase.

It's these kind of little things that could help a new player stick around a while. Everyone loves playing pretty princess mech dressup, toss them a bone once in a while!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have discovered that tier 4 pubbies have some irrational hate (or fear?) for thunderbolts, to the point where they blame me personally for everything that goes wrong in a match. The don't even bother to know my name, just "that guy in the tbolt".

Meanwhile, I keep walking away with another event qualification, even when we get rolled.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bolow posted:

Did they do something to the Thunderbolt in the past 6 months? The 3xLPL one and the Top Dog were both real good

I don't think so? Don't have a top dog, but the 3xLPL 9SE is still pretty good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Did they take HPG Manifold out of rotation? That was my favorite map :smith:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
But 50 matches unlucky? I never even see it as a voting option.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bobcats posted:

IS ERML is gonna bust the game wide open. CDA-2B holla

for a moment I thought you said ELRM and I was like uhhhh

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They could save themselves some heartache by telling us how they're preserving progress right now, instead of when it hits the public test.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
When you say something is temporary but take 5 years to fix it, it was not actually temporary.

Still, of all the things they've put to the test server, I think the skill tree deserves another shot. I would not have said that about anything else prior.

Weather they do this out of sincerity? It's kinda tough to tell because Russ is the perpetually huge naked hairy butthole making GBS threads on us from the top floor at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can't even wrap my head around what engine decoupling is going to do to battle. Someone spell it out for me.

Will assaults and heavies have to conga like ships-of-the-line? Or will we see only lights and mediums in combat anymore, since they're the only ones that can maneuver?

• Locked thread