Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nolgthorn posted:

Israel isn't committing a genocide of any kind. If they wanted to they could have done so at any time a long time ago, and probably saved themselves a lot of problems in having done it. Instead they spend extraordinary amounts of money trying to minimize casualties.

.....I'm sorry what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

It's an old argument, if [Oppressor] was bad then they would've killed all of the [oppressed] a long time ago.

You also sometimes see it with accusations of police brutality versus the black population in the US.

I know, it was more rhetorical than anything. There was just too much bullshit in that entire post to quote the entire thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nolgthorn posted:

Gaza belonged to Israel. Israel after not being able to push a deal for a two state solution, took it in winning a war others started. Then decided "you know what, here, now you are your own state regardless of what you say." Gave Gaza back to its residents, along with its own government and left.

Those residents then elected a terrorist theocracy, which immediately spent all available resources to start a new war with Israel. That resulted in the current situation, where Israel has set up a blockade for the purposes of having to babysit terrorists. Meanwhile do you realise that Gaza depends on Israel for everything it has? What is that, something Israel wanted? If at any point Israel doesn't reserve the right to re-enter Gaza, that poses a threat to Israeli citizens. If at any point Israel were to let down the blockade, that poses a threat to Israeli citizens.

So what is the solution exactly that you propose, where one side is completely unreasonable. Two state solution? Gaza says no. Ok have your own state anyway. Gaza elects terrorists.

:allears: Golda Meir? Is that you?

So the illegal settlements, endless blockades, using Palestinian children as human shields, bombing a city....all Palestinians fault.

Got it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nolgthorn posted:

According to who, Hamas? Which one of the other terrorist groups said that. How do you get them to send their newsletter so far, so like do you have to pay for postage on that or do they cover it for you. Do you use a PO box, so that you aren't suspected of being a terrorist or terrorist sympathiser or how do you do it.

There's a Golan Heights occupied territory.

After a war there is always a period of occupation, to ensure safety. The territory was taken from Syria and Israel offered to resolve the occupation as quickly as possible with Syria, in exchange for a peace agreement. Which seems utterly reasonable to me. But not to Syria so it remains occupied.

So tell us, do you view all Palestinians as terrorists undeserving of rights or land?

Look hare careful the IDF is, they don't want to cause unnecessary causalities I suppose...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

israel is an ethnic supremacist apartheid state founded on ethnic cleansing, and if the best defense of them you can come up with is "but their neighbors are worse!!!!!!!" that's pretty pathetic, both for israel and for you

Obviously you support terrorism :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Suitaru posted:

Can someone post that article about an israeli stabbing another israeli because the first guy was literally wandering around looking for targets and thought the second guy was a filthy palestinian

I mean it won't slow migf's roll or nothing I just want to have it at hand

Better yet: Post the article about the arson case where settlers they burned two parents and a baby alive, and while the Israeli's will rush a Palestinian to court and bulldoze his house in a heartbeat, they are dragging their feet and billing the Palestinian government for the baby's healthcare.

Sucks to be a second class citizens in Israel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Palestinians are not second class citizens of Israel; they are alien to Israel. Israel is billing the representative government of an alien for healthcare provided. If that government does not want healthcare provided to their national on foreign soil, then they are free to evacuate that national.

Yeeeeahhhhh. Except for that whole slow march of expansion of Israeli Settlements where you live in Palestinian territory one day, but Israeli the next.

Nice try though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, as it turns out, the person in that photo was Jewish, and it was taken at a loving wedding.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/clip-shows-far-right-wedding-goers-celebrating-dawabsha-killings/

I saw that video this morning.

The photo? Its the infant from that arson attack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

Most harmless stabbing in last 3 months. Boo loving hoo.

Yeah. An infant. Get the gently caress out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Morgaga posted:

Yes. And slew of others that those particular people are not celebrating.

"They are hosed up, but the Palestinians are more hosed up. I have no idea why the Palestinians are so hosed up"

This is a really circular web you are spinning here. Don't forge the fact that while the Israeli Government is a-okay with quickly putting a Palestinian on trial for a legitimate murder, they are dragging their feet as hard as they can, including sending the PA the bill for the infant, and taking their time with the settlers who conducted the attack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

You continue to tie rocket attacks and Israel attacking Palestine as if they are connected. Palestinian actions have nothing to do with Israel's aggression. As we could see during the ceasefire before Operation Cast Lead, even a 99% reduction in rocket attacks with Hamas actively suppressing the other extremist groups still was enough for Israel to cite for an invasion. If it were even possible for Hamas to stop all the rocket attacks Israel would just use something else as an excuse.

This. Hamas managed to, somehow, get other extremist groups to cut down on the rocket attacks after Israeli promised to soften the siege.

Guess who didn't stick to their promise?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

team overhead smash posted:

Seeing as the point being made is about large-scale attacks which result in thousands of casualties, exactly what the gently caress is a small scale attack that left several people dead supposed to matter in the context of the discussion being had?

Oh, I dunno, using white phosphorus on a civilian center. Attacking UN sites and basically marking the entirety of Gaza as a rocket launch site.

Need I go on?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hakimashou posted:

Dr King and Gandhi taught non violence, and they won their struggles.

I see there was a new terrorist attack in Israel today. Do you think it will help or hurt the Palestinians' cause?

Both horrible examples: Dr. King won his struggle by being beaten, arrested, violently oppressed, and then murdered. It was only though direct resistance that they managed to make any headway, and the fact that their enemies were willing to use VERY VERY violent and oppressive means to deter them that eventually got so macabre that the US Justice System and Feds said 'Enough is enough'

Ghandi won his movement not through his own actions, but because the British were basically told they had to give up their Empire. It was rather inevitable, the British could not afford to maintain India as a colony anymore anyways, Ghandi's actions just made it easier for them to give it up.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 2, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kim Jong Il posted:

Hezbollah's body count dwarfs Israel's.

No it doesn't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli%E2%80%93Palestinian_conflict

Total (Palestinian Dead) 7978 (1620 under 18) Israeli Dead 1503 (142 under 18)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/03/palestinians-killed-alleged-attacks-israelis-160324133329293.html

Lookin' Good IDF. Summary executions on camera.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its too bad his article is basically him trying to slam dunk liberals by citing things conservative Israelis and Trump said.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

"Liberals turn into conservatives when Israel is involved" is the article's basic message, yes.

If only that were true.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

I guess that's technically correct, but I think a rational person can look at the situation and say that the Palestinians' irredentist demands for a return to the status quo anti bellum are counter-productive and unrealistic.

"How dare those Palestinians object to our slow confiscation of their land and segregation/ethnic cleansing!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1189576224051519490?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

straight up kristallnacht poo poo jfc

Yeah, at this point apparently the lesson from the Holocaust that the Israeli Right took was "Just slow it down over decades and nobody will care"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Powerplant in Ashkelon got hit

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1392195984302690304?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chuka Umana posted:

Israel politics were actually quite left wing from 1948-1977

For whom?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Be careful with the "no ancestral link" thing, unless you want to deny the fact that the Jewish people lived in the region until the destruction of the temple and the expulsion to the Diaspora of the Jewish people. This kind of history has always been part of the Jewish culture to the point of being written down as a longing of the people to return to that land one day.

Religious books, as good as a deed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Are you saying there is no proof of Jews living in the area outside of "religious books" because if so that is blatantly false.

And theres proof that Italy used to exceed its boundaries as well as Turkey and others. Its not proof of ownership.

Archeology AND Religion, apparently good enough as a land deed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Another apartment block is down:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1392511570522030081?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I wish they'd put the whole Israeli flag there and not just the Magen David. I think this comic encourages the terrible misconception that the Magen David is itself a symbol of Israel; I pay my $18/mo to Jewish Voice for Peace every month and I'm wearing no less than 3 Magens David right now.

Agreed, or at least include obvious references to the Israeli Far Right rather than just the Star of David.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't think the guy who edited that Dry Bones cartoon was far-right.

I'd find that hard to believe because he espouses a lot of racism and bigotry that aligns perfectly with them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

But he also thrives off it, so its just talk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oh look Lebensraum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Preen Dog posted:

Pigeons are kind of pretty and soft and trained ones make good pets.

Wild pigeons poop everywhere and hoot at 3 in the morning, they gotta go. It's sad, but it has to be done.

Wild pigeons feed birds of prey, leave em be.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Real Amethyst posted:

Hello, I've somewhat off topic and maybe philosophical question regarding the ethics and morality of visiting Israel (or any apartheid state) and would like some opinions if you care enough.
I've two good Israeli friends living in Tel'Aviv, and they are very anti-zionist and hate the IDF, and condemn Israel's treatment of Palestine. We've talked about it a lot.

For a couple of years now we've talked about me flying over to Tel'Aviv and visiting them to hang out, eat burgers and do fun friend stuff.
But I have this underlying discomfort that visiting Israel is unethical or morally questionable.
But is it really as one dimensional and morally wrong if I have good intentions of visiting like minded anti-nationalist friends?

I am very uncomfortable and not smart regarding such matters.

You should visit your friends, especially if they are counter-culture types. Just stay safe, and do so when things have settled.

I'd view it as supporting people who are against this sort of thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure where the line should be drawn, but I think visiting cool people in Tel Aviv falls within the boundary of reasonable. US tax dollars fund the CIA, US military and everything the government has ever done, and that is also a colony that genocided its native population; would you condemn anyone who lives or has ever visited there?

Yeah I think its like the "no ethical consumption under capitalism" issue. Your tax money is already doing the heavy lifting, visiting his friends really doesn't add much to that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LilySimpson1312/status/1393392424450363393?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1394276465966030852?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mila kunis posted:

Even leaving aside the whole occupation/apartheid thing, Israeli civil society doesn't seem to be going in a very good direction

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1394378305281921027

^ and this is from a former IDF intelligence/natsec blob hack lol

I mean the Israeli Government is basically Far-Right now, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Accurate. Then attacked the crowd carrying the casket. Doubling down on the crimes.