Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think Israel might have hit the power grid in Gaza. I'm watching the Reuters live stream and you can hear fighter jets and bombs going off in the distance and now almost all the lights are off.

It could just be the normal power outages they have in Gaza though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheMossadIL/status/1392773503234060288?s=20

Jfc

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sinteres posted:

It's depressing that the Arab countries barely even pretend to give a poo poo anymore. You used to hear a lot of concern in American media about the "Arab Street," and how fear of unrest in those countries could contribute to the US reining Israel in, but now at a time when Israel is as secure as it's ever been (the Second Intifada is a distant memory), but still refuses to engage in negotiations because they're confident in their absolute victory (and Netanyahu is both inherently a nationalist and utterly beholden to people even more extreme than he is to maintain power), the countries that used to stand up for Palestine couldn't care less. I know some of them have obviously had their own problems closer to home and the rest might just have atrocity fatigue after all the poo poo that's gone down in the region over the last few decades, but that attitude makes it really easy for the West to ignore what's going on.

What I find interesting is how the Arab countries that have recently established diplomatic ties with Israel seem to be completely silent about this latest flare up of violence. Like isn't one of the reasons why countries have diplomatic relations so that formal complaints can be made when one side is doing something horrendous?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

boar guy posted:

not sure how to respond to a Facebook friend and associate who posts every hour or two that he can't believe there's no outcry of justice for Israel and that 'your Jewish friends see this and will remember it, any marginalized group gets attacked and it's post after post but nothing for Israel?'

an I supposed to express pity for the apartheid state with it's boot on the neck of the snarling dog it's about to starve and shotgun to death? what do I tell this guy

You're supposed to delete Facebook

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

If Hezbollah does open up another front against Israel, would the U.S. put boots on the ground there? Could Israel even handle them, considering they have around 150,000 missiles?

The US didn't put boots on the ground in 2006 so I don't know why they would now.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Because then Israel would be fighting both Hamas and Hezbollah simultaneously, which I'm not sure if they could handle

They were fighting Hezbollah and Hamas simultaneously in 2006. It was Hamas that kidnapped Gilad Shalit.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So really dumb question. But let's say Israel decided to do the right thing one day in regards to the Palestinian territory. What exactly would that mean? Would that mean they tear down the border walls/fences and border crossings? And allow unrestricted movement for Palestinians and give them full citizenship? And obviously stop doing the genocide against them?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Ok then so what I don't understand about the 2 state solution is what areas would be the Palestinian state? Gaza and the West Bank? And if they become a separate country how is that any different than what they are now? And yes Im well aware my questions are dumb and come from a place of ignorance. But see I'm American, and American media most likely has purposely created such a pro Israel narrative that you have to really dig to learn the truth about what's going on in the region. And most Americans aren't going to do that. Therefore you end up with "Israel good for *reasons*. Palestinians bad because they are just like ISIS and Al Quaeda"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Well the big thing is that Israel controls the borders including the sea (jointly in places with Egypt and Jordan), both for the movement of people and goods, regularly intervenes militarily, Palestinian institutions are not free to access international forums or markets and particularly in west bank Israelis would not be able to settle on palestinian land, nor would Israeli policemen and army be able to act freely in those areas.

Ok but say the Palestinian territories are a separate country someday. Would that be good enough for the Palestinians? Or do they want more land than just Gaza and the West Bank?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So when does the 24hr period on Israels bullshit "warning" end?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If Israel doesn't care whether a building is actually being used by Hamas for military purposes or not then why doesn't just systemically bomb every single building to rubble like the Nazis did in Warsaw Poland? Like how does their targeting work if they are just bombing random buildings?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I didn't know SA was so full of ballistics/explosives experts. You guys must all be EOD!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1714431083175981556

Things aren't looking good in Jordan.

Edit- it wasn't mentioned in this tweet, but they're protesting at the Israeli embassy.

Another reporter, I think she's posting this first hand?
https://twitter.com/janearraf/status/1714404808671568319

I'm not convinced either way that it was the IDF or Hamas that blew up that hospital and lol at armchair explosive experts who think they know a drat thing. But for anyone wondering why Hamas would do it? This is probably why. If they can ignite the "Arab street" then it's worth it to them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

i say swears online posted:

i think you're the only person entertaining a "hamas did it intentionally" theory

I mean since everyone else is throwing out theories based on some grainy rear end videos I might as well too. How do we know Hamas didnt blow up the hospital? Maybe they stuffed a shitload of explosives in a tunnel underneath it? By the way, I'm not in any way supportive of Israel I think they are guilty of genocide before anyone goes and says I'm some Israel supporter.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hryme posted:

Most Hamas members live in Gaza and the people there are their friends and family. That they would intentionally blow up a hospital and kill many of their own people sounds insane to me. Especially to score a propaganda point. I mean to believe that I would need mountains of evidence.

Hamas members go on a crazy rampage inside Israel that they know is going to lead to 10 times more Palestinians getting killed and they do it anyway.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What's the possibility the hospital courtyard was hit with an artillery round opposed to a bomb? And maybe an airburst artillery round?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

This MAY have been a missile launch failure ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67144061

19, 2023 18:57Reg Date: Aug 10, 2009

Wait a drat second. So ANOTHER hospital was blown up and there just so happened to be a rocket launch right before with yet another rocket making a weird U turn? Wtf?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So apparently Biden is going to divert artillery shells from a war to prevent genocide to a war of genocide
https://www.axios.com/2023/10/19/us-israel-artillery-shells-ukraine-weapons-gaza

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So if the Houthis weren't firing those missiles at the US ship, then I wonder what they were firing them at?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder if Israel is waiting to see how the congressional speaker race plays out before committing to a ground invasion of Gaza? Once they start they are probably going to be expending a massive amount of ammunition of all types (especially if a second front opens up in Lebanon) and will surely need resupplies. Which will probably have to be approved by the US Congress. If so, I guess there's a silver lining to the paralysis in Congress if it's making Israel second guess going in with no clear path to ammo resupplies.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

You don't have to go to bat for the internationally recognized terrorist organisation tbh

"issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group ISIL Hamas. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

I would assume Afghanistan for one, don't really know the second.

He's talking about Ukraine. I don't know why he's pussyfooting around it. Also he's saying it's a "US war" and that it's already lost so that right there pretty much ruins his credibility.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I don't like using the term terrorist because it's so easily used by western super powers to discredit and quiet anyone who doesn't fall in line with their colonizer & white supremacist agenda. What makes hamas terrorists as opposed to the United States, or Israel, who also carry out horrific and barbaric attacks on people? I would prefer no one kill anyone else.

It sounds like you would prefer it if it was the IDF that killed more Israelis on 10/7 than Hamas. Which there's no real evidence of. And just because you don't like the term terrorist doesn't mean it's not a fitting term for people who slaughter a bunch of ravers. Or was that the IDF too? I guess it was also the IDF that slaughtered themselves in their own barracks? At least that was a legitimate target and that can't be classified as a terror act. Maybe you should concentrate on that one instead of your blanket "Hamas is good" statement. I don't like the term "terrorist supporter" but that seems like a fitting term for you. And before you go thinking I'm some Israel supporter, I think the Israeli government and IDF are terrorists too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

What is going on with the 200,000 Israelis in the north that were evacuated? That has got to put Israel in a really tough spot if this conflict goes in for a long time.

Well those people probably can't work right now. And between that and the 300,000 soldiers called up I'm sure this is taking a pretty significant hit on their economy.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Israel is pounding the hell out of Gaza right now. The live video feeds are showing constant explosions. They seem to be much smaller and more numerous though so my guess is it's artillery fire as opposed to bombs. I wonder if they finally starting their ground invasion.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is there a storm going on over Gaza right now? There's a lot of really bright white flashes on the Gaza live streams and they look a lot different than the bombs Israel is dropping on them.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

It loving loving loving sucks how "Israel good, Palestine bad" has embedded itself as the mainstream normie political position where even a vast bulk of democrats and even celebrities that aren't right-wing cranks are pro-Israel. A genocide is happening and the people who care are being demonized

I think the vast, vast majority of Americans in general don't think there's a genocide going on in the Palestinian territories. It only makes sense the majority of politicians wouldn't think so either. Although they should know better.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

If the U.S. and U.N. are willing to fit the bill on rebuilding Gaza, and that includes making Gaza self sufficient, with clean water, and electricity, that Israel cant just turn off at a moments notice, then I can see that being good. But I suspect that will not happen, and Palestinians will just suffer even harder.

Another requirement should be that Palestinians get free movement into Israel, and no more wall around the city.

Soo.. nation building?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I don't understand why Israel is so hell bent on taking Gaza and the West Bank for themselves. Does Israel not have enough land for it's population?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

pro starcraft loser posted:

Assuming Israel takes enough territory, shouldn't we expect to see completely solid proof of these tunnels in areas they've claimed for a while (hospitals, schools, camps)? Sounds like all we've gotten so far is...nothing.

Is the IDF thinking about this or just assuming that if nothing is produced no one will ask?

I mean if they showed you the proof, would you even believe it? It's not like they don't fabricate enough poo poo as it is.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is this the most destruction Israel has caused in Gaza ever? There have been numerous Israeli/Palestinian wars over the decades (like Operation Cast Lead) that have really hosed up Gaza but what's going on there now just looks like a whole other level. Like I was watching the embedded reporters with the IDF and the areas they were operating were just... Razed to the ground. Like nothing was intact every building was destroyed. If the civilians are even allowed to come back there is nothing at all for them to come back to. Like is this destruction more localized than it appears or is north Gaza really like Berlin 1945 now? And I guess the IDF will probably do the same to the south?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Apparently Israel is dropping leaflets in South Gaza telling people to evacuate
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/16/israel-drops-leaflets-warning-people-to-flee-southern-gaza-towns

Evacuate where? If they get driven south I don't think Egypt will let anyone through the border. Would the IDF even let them pass back into the north which at this point is nothing but rubble?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

That certainly smells like "we're shoving the people of Gaza out of the entire strip". They will tell them to evacuate every part of the Gaza strip sequentially as the IDF clears out more ground. It was what like 2 weeks from the leaflets getting dropped in Gaza proper to the ground invasion? It will probably be less than that for each new phase since the operation is in full swing now, so I'd guess people have a week before the IDF rolls the tanks into a new area.

But is "out of Gaza" even an option? Maybe Israel is trying to force Egypts hand here. Force all the desperate Palestinians against the wall and Egypt will have to decide whether to keep the crossing sealed off and all the bad press that will entail or open it up and let them through and let Israel accomplish it's ethnic cleansing campaign. And the worst part is if that happens there's still going to be a shitload of people who claim it isn't ethnic cleansing and Israel will let them back in as soon as the operation is over. (Narrator: They were never allowed back in)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

No evidence, this isn't happening at all. Hamas doesn't want Palestinians dead, every Hamas militant is a Palestinian themselves. They want freedom, and for Israel to leave them alone.

Ok gently caress Israel. But if Hamas didn't want Palestinians dead then I don't know what the hell they expected to happen after going on a murderous rampage inside Israel?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Everyone who thinks Hamas wasn't expecting some massive IDF military response that would kill tons of Palestinians after the 10/7 attack is naive as hell. The Hamas/Israel conflict has been going on for decades Israel always reacts in the same way to any kind of attack of kidnapping they bomb the poo poo out of Gaza. That's how you know Hamas doesn't care about Palestinian lives because they know many will be lost after their attacks. 10/7 wasn't their first rodeo, it was just the biggest.

Even if Hamas just kidnapped a few Israelis instead of massacring over a thousand the IDF would still be bombing the poo poo out of Gaza.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1725251441332531560

Are we seriously meant to believe it took the IDF two whole days to find a truck parked outside filled with weapons???

Maybe it took them 2 days to collect enough AKs and grenades to stuff into a truck

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I was very curious about Israel's propaganda of continually saying that Hamas is ISIS, and upon looking into it not at all very deeply, came across a news article stating that Hamas and ISIS were at war with each other lol https://www.npr.org/2018/01/15/578172703/what-effect-isis-declaration-of-war-against-hamas-could-have-in-the-middle-east

None of the major Islamist terror organizations could ever gain a foothold in the Palestinian territories. Al Quaeda couldn't, and neither could ISIS. Contrary to the belief of right wing morons Islamist terror groups are not a monolith and often fight among each other. Like when Hezbollah was fighting ISIS in Syria. Or the Taliban fighting ISIS in Afghanistan.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Elon is visiting Israel pretty soon (this week maybe?). He is definitely on their side.

Isn't he an open anti Semite now? I can't imagine be will be received in Israel.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I saw a pretty awful video today of Israel bombing a row of apartment buildings. Just methodically one after another completely demolished. Like I know Israel doesn't even try to pretend that the targets are actual Hamas military targets but when you see it like this it's just so egregious that they are simply trying to ethnic cleanse the area.
No gore. Just scared people running away and building getting blown up
https://youtu.be/lwWzxzYNfMA?si=A1qk2lgKdE26TxJo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's as if you can't tell what is happening inside or around a building just by looking at it. People look at images and video of war and mis-frame it (which is good in a way, war is becoming less and less of a norm globally). Civility has already broken down, that's why a war has broken out. The goal of war, as hellish as it is, is to completely dismantle the enemy's will to fight and to limit the casualties on your own side. It's not a game. You don't want to ensure a fair fight. So it's not dropping bombs indiscriminately on civilians, which in this video would look like the onlookers running away being pulverized. But it is destroying the war machine of the other side -- which may include infrastructure, and horribly in this conflict, even civilian infrastructure -- until it grinds to a halt.

What if the IDF doesn't know what's going on in those buildings? Would it still be ok to flatten them?