Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I noticed an article floating around on facebook that the EU are takin steps against certain Israeli imports. It's rather about time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Jewish extremists.txt

These people have nukes :stare:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The Knesset passed a law allowing it to suspend MKs. It then immediately suspended three Arab MKs. :allears:

Totally not apartheid!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Palestinians will remain second-class citizens even as Israel gradually annexes Palestinian land until there is nothing left. That's pretty clearly where this will end. That and a lot of dead Palestinians.

As the NYT says, this is basically Kerry eulogizing the 'two-state solution', because Trump has already made it clear that he will support whatever Israel does 100% and Bibi will have the green-light to do whatever he feels like without US opposition. The rest of the world will continue to oppose settlements but once Obama leaves US policy will be hands-off.

I think the more important factor here is Europe. Trump isn't going to be making a lot of friends and if it he antagonizes European countries too much they may might ignore US policy entirely and impose sanctions on Israel for being an apartheid state.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/israels-parliamentary-plot-uk-politicians-170107220710691.html

This is probably bad for Corbyn.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What if neither party gets Jerusalem and it becomes a theocratic city state with a religious council given seats evenly between Jewish, Christian and Muslim citizens? That way the Catholic Church can be the mediating party between the two hostile factions.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/01/arab-league-aims-nullify-trump-jerusalem-move-180107101530055.html

quote:

"We [the Arab League] will confront the decision by seeking a [UN] resolution, an international one, to recognise a Palestinian state on 1967 borders with Jerusalem as its capital," he said.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I feel like African Jewish people in Israel should start wearing a star of David on their sleeve in protest.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Goddamn Chad vs Goliath over here.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/image-palestinian-protester-gaza-viral-181024113924724.html

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1393672450928480262?s=19

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

He's shook.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rakosi posted:

The timestamps for this footage is way off for it to have been part of the hospital explosion. First reports of the hospital explosion were around 19:20 iirc. There were several bits of footage going around immediately after the incident, like this, that were then latterly pulled.

The time stamp matches what N12 news said they recorded with their own cameras, the stamp is down to the second but an hour off from the video there.

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1714582806007865366
What’s more interesting is that the news video shows the blast underneath the path of the rockets while the other video shows it’s on the other side.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rookersh posted:

The line I always go back to for people like Villers is that something like 48?% of the Knesset believes in a two state solution, and has peace plans with Palestine that involve stopping/cutting back settlements in the West Bank and giving back land as part of their platform.

Like if you don't believe all of us in this thread, perhaps you should question why almost half of the Israeli government thinks peace is totally possible, a two state solution is totally possible, and that they can easily give over West Bank/chunks of predominantly Arab held lands in Israel as reconciliation.

Israel doesn't need more weirdos sucking Netanyahu's dick. Peace has been trending upwards year after year in Israel since the 90s, it's just been blocked by one massive rear end in a top hat and his desires to stay the gently caress out of prison, mixed with a desire to kill brown people to keep the polls up so he doesn't finally get got.

Yeah Bibi is a good scapegoat. They’ll kick him to the curb when Gaza is nothing but burning white phosphorous and say ‘drat wish we saw what kind of monster he was earlier’ and then carry on his policies with the backing of the west and media as usual.

Israel is a democracy, a dysfunctional one thanks to fascism, but to act like the government doesn’t represent the majority view of the people is naive.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/EpshtainItay/status/1718578424644514241

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What determines whether or not a Palestinian goes to court versus administrative detention? I see a lot of people go ‘oh but she was on video stabbing someone’ and you’d think if they had that video it would be easy to convict and they wouldn’t be in detention for multiple years.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What are the acceptable list of effective actions for a group like the Houthis when engaged in a war?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's been obvious since October 7th, but this post really draws out the fact that for some people the core outrage of what Israel is doing in Gaza is that they aren't on the poster's list of countries that are allowed to indiscriminately attack civilians.

It's a question of scale and the manner of harm involved. Civilian shipping is a great phrase to pull out to frame it as terrorism but the actual ships involved are mega tankers and cargo ships with minimal crew, and the crew sections of a ship like that is a very small percentage and usually situated above the hull itself. The Houthis have been targeting shipping for apparently 10 years and haven't killed anyone yet so the harm seems to be all economic delays, we routinely sanction nations for much greater harm and less returns.

The gist of my question is basically what can the Houthis do that anyone would recognize as legitimate and effective action to impact Israel? Should they only target military ships with defensive capabilities at great risk to themselves and probably no real damage? And if so who's military ships? Israel doesn't keep patrols there, the US and UK apparently does that for them and I guess they've now painted themselves as a legitimate target.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

The Houthis are not resisting any Genocide, Hamas is. The Houthis have done some ethnic cleansing of their own. The Houthis are not Hamas and them claiming they are doing the same thing they've been doing for a decade suddenly in support of Hamas is a claim that requires some level of evidence, which has not been provided.

This is a very uncharitable read of the last few pages. The Houthis have been doing this for a decade against Saudi affiliated shipping, and have recently expanded it to Israeli affiliated shipping because of the ongoing genocide. Neither of those have happened in a vacuum.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Define "Israeli affiliated" and how many of the ships attacked have met that criteria?

Going off Reuters here.

Galaxy Leader on November 9th. Ray Shipping, Tel-Aviv.

STRINDA on December 12, a Norwegian ship with a listed port of call in Israel.

At least two ships coming out of Saudi Arabia in the same period. It's hard to verify most of these because I'm not gonna pay for historical data on ship tracking websites, but I'd expect with the resources the Houthi's have this is what they're using and we're likely to see ship tracking get heavily restricted in the near future.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I was trying to come up with a way to phrase this quote when I saw it in an article earlier and they just tweet it out like actual cartoon villains.
https://twitter.com/israelipm/status/1746277892491727341

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is in the West Bank too. Unless there's some weird context I'm missing I don't see why they can't just show up and arrest them? Nobody is going to start a shootout in a hospital (except the IDF I guess).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So there’s a video going around on Twitter of the hospital room, and there’s a big bloody hole in the center of the pillow on the bed. They were comfortably not in a rush enough to just walk up and dome an apparently paralysed person lying helpless in a hospital bed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol speaking of
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1761914188505436637

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Everyone who's "settled in" getting to stay is exactly the goal of colonialism though. If you look at the map of the west bank partition timeline and the state of the west bank today, is that an acceptable outcome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly think it would be very interesting to see the court case against Hamas officials in the Hague. What they can pin on them, what they'll confess to and how much of it is going to be various shades of "shot rockets at Israel".

Edit: As far as optics go, a public trial in this atmosphere could potentially rehabilitate Hamas in the public eye because it's an opportunity to communicate their goals and methods in a setting that can't be ignored.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 29, 2024