Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
USS Minneapolis please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
we lost a unit :confused:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

dylguy90 posted:

Very very frightening

drat you.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Any daring tricks up your sleeve to stem the tide? Or just make it not worth it to be ground back to Japan?

Historical footnote: The Anzio was used to carry back many American soldiers after the completion of the war.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 16, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Why are we bagging so many liberators

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

More men were killed by those sunken ships than the deaths between all allied countries involved in the Normandy Landings,

Holy poo poo

Omobono posted:

Jesus Christ the Americans are going to tie FDR to the bow of a troop transport then sail it into the Tokyo Bay Fortress.

What the gently caress is this world going to look like after the war? Assuming baseline Ally competency in the various European theaters, I'm assuming the USSR is going to cover most of Europe, except Spain and maybe France (and no way Franco doesn't decide he was actually a Communist all along), as resources get diverted from western Europe to the pacific and thus the Red Army wins the race to Berlin handily and then keeps going.
The USA are going to go full fascist after this, no questions asked, and I have no clue what the UK will do.

I disagree, but it will depend on how the war actually ends. Nuke after nuke after nuke might change things. And if Uncle Joe wants to try swallowing up all of Germany and France he will have a present gift wrapped for him in Moscow too.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 28, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

SINK THE QUEEN

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

What a knife fight. I wonder where my USS Minneapolis has been this whole game

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Here comes the B-29s! If they had reach to hit anything of importance hahahah

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 15, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Which was apparently also a full infantry division.

We’ve taken our best men from Wyoming and given them their own division

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

What's the biggest victory/battle been in this campaign so far? If someone has a link I'd like to see it. I suppose that is subjective.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Yamato and Musashi vs. Iowa.

I was following when that happened, I've been on and off for a while. Any big carrier fights or has it been mostly BB slugfests

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Holy poo poo, hahahahaha. You probably have people trying to get drafted into the army rather than the navy in this timeline.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

That could have been terrible with the Uruyu

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Where's the Iowa?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

The idea of pulling off an extremely late war raid on Pearl Harbor is stupidly tantalizing.

Hit Seattle or San Francisco

E: If you get soldiers in the CONUS doesn’t Patton show up with like every single national guard unit?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes.

The obvious solution is to land some piddly-poo poo SNLF outside of SF and sink Patton's candy-rear end while it's loaded onto some xAKs.

:eyepoop:

Make this man admiral

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

In all seriousness, a raid on pearl harbor at this point would be a single-day battle at land-based air range from PH in which 200+ planes sink every one of GH's ships and that'd be that.

The AI probably has one B-18 and two blimps at Pearl Harbor

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

How feasible are operations in Alaska? Could you shove a marine unit into Anchorage if you really wanted to, or would that trigger angry Patton?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Long live the emperor

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

HOLY poo poo

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Does anything happen if you capture Chongqing, like Chinese morale losses or the like, or is it just points?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Roosevelt is not a wartime leader.

Change my mind.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Fujita

Where’s your sense of adventure Grey?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I just found out my lucky ship was sunk :(

If its possible to get another, the USS Duluth would be nice.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 13, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I wonder person for person how high US casualties have been. To say nothing of what happened in Europe by this point.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Naming a ship after Custer

Uff da

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Operation Ichi-Go was at least 600,000 military dead, so it wouldn't surprise me if this operation was similar.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Extreme overcast? Send your battleships in when they don't have air cover. Wreak havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's an interesting scenario in TOAW, which I think is itself adapted from a wargame, where one player plays the Allies invading Germany from West plus the Germans defending against the Soviets in the East, while the other player plays the Soviets invading Germany from the East plus the Germans defending against the Allies in the West.

It gives both players a chance at playing offense and defense, and then also heavily incentivizes the defense to be as tough as possible because you need that time to let you run your offense into Berlin ahead of the other guy.

Its one of my favorites, playing as W/Allies and Germany I had reduced Germany to just Berlin after taking all of Italy, Austria, and Denmark, while smashing my friend who was the Soviets so hard I was able to open the Courland pocket and have them retreat without sea transport. :getin:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

You could sink an entire flotilla, you never know

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Hmm...this is good

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

The fundamental issue with extreme level grog games like this is that ultimately in the end you are wearing a few too many hats.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Omae wa mou, shindeiru

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Hey grey want to do a joint LP once I wrap mine up?

Grey would smoke my rear end so badly I wouldn’t know which way is up and down

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

If you really want to mix things up I would love for a big diversionary invasion somewhere like the Aleutians, or send all of the IJN to do a late war raid on San Francisco.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Velius posted:

This comes from the game aiming for historical realism, in this case at the expense of responding to the in game situation. The idea is after things like the Marianas Turkey Shoot (June ‘44) and attritional losses everywhere, a bunch of the IJA and IJN airgroups existed on paper only, with no pilots or planes. Those withdrawals are supposed to represent command realizing that and trying to represent their actual strength, but in practice it means a competent Japanese player suddenly loses a bunch of front line fighter groups for no reason.

There’s similar silliness with aircraft upgrades (you’ve got to upgrade in order, silly, if you don’t have A6M5s still around you can’t use those A6M8s in the hangar!) and things like being able to research radar equipped night fighters early while the radars don’t advance their arrival date.

Wow, that’s pretty awful

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

That's total bullshit.

Invade the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Oh, I never saw you bagged an F-7 liberator. I'm pretty sure those are quite rare