Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

HannibalBarca posted:

if unthinkable went forward what do you think the exchange rate of shermans:IS2s would have been

The better question would be the [usa]sherman:[ussr]sherman exchange rate, seeing as how the russians where running mountains of lend lease american tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Grandpa chat with a side of terrifying realization, heres the story as they told it: My paternal grandmother grew up on Oahu and her father worked at the navel base as a machinist. He had just returned from work on the morning of the 7th and when the attack started, he crawled under cars to make his way back to the harbor during the attack because the Japanese where strafing cars on the roads. Probably a good thing it took so long, the shop he worked out of was on the dock the USS Shaw was parked at. My Grandmother recounts that "the Japanese where on their roofs cheering on the bombers". Meanwhile my grandfather was on a sub doing exercises out in the pacific, which I can not find the name of at the moment, evidently it was one of if not the first ship back into the harbor after the attack.

Now astute readers will note the interesting nature of my Grandmothers recollection of that day. There where never, japanese cheering the attacks on from their roofs. Watching a documentary on the attack with them where a Japanese-American man on the island at the time was interviewed as saying he looked up and said those dam dirty japs'. To put it kindly they did not believe his story.

That's when I learned my grandparents where racist.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

goatface posted:

They also spent several years up to their eyeballs in the propaganda. It's like the war stories thing discussed a few days ago, it might not be what happened but it's probably the version they remember.

Most definitely. My point is more that like many of the stories in grandpa chat the consequences of WWII reach down through the years and have repercussions that are not necessarily apparent.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

:five:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Flavius Aetass posted:

Peg + Cat is pretty great.

Truth

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

TheDemon posted:

The Siege of Leningrad lasted what, two and a third years? That was of a similar scale.

872 days according to wikipedia, but remember there where several cases of supplies being brought into the city when the lake froze. There hasn't been an allied base within 100 miles of Chungking for what 2 years now?

Realistically everyone in that city should have starved to death by now.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

I looked it up, and the atomic bombing of Tokyo on July 16, 1945, in GH's Allied playthrough, was worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000 points:

The actual delta from one turn to the next was 11,634 points, though not all of that is due to the damage caused by the atom bomb alone

As of this latest Japan turn of Feb 28, 1945, the Japan has 80,253 points, and the Allies have 46,931 points, or a difference of 33,322.

If we peg the value of a nuke as being worth about 10k points, and we say that Grey will take two of them, then that's going to increase the Allied score to 66,931 points, or reducing the difference to 13,322, still in favor of Japan.

That puts them well short of what they'd need to just break even with GH, never mind what they'd need to double his score and trigger a surrender.

Remember that for every nuke they drop after the second, their victory "grade" goes down a notch, to the point I think the game considers it a Japanese victory if the Allies use five or six before a surrender is triggered.

All that assumes the ai drops the nuke somewhere important. Grey dropped his on mainland Japan, I don’t think the ai has an air strip large enough for a nuke in range. I doubt 6 nukes dropped on some pacific atoll will have the same effect.

Except for waking up Godzilla to fight Tokyo bay fortress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
I have followed two of these now and I must say, Grey your commitment to my free entertainment is commendable! Actually following these day by day gives a real appreciation for what a massive effort fully industrialized war is.

Congratulations!